Toggle internals button into an action button

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Toggle internals button into an action button

Post by kosmos » #105280

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/10629

I haven't gotten much feedback on Github for this so I thought I'd ask here since this is a big-ish change, it's used by most players at least once or twice during every round.
So what do you think?
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Re: Toggle internals button into an action button

Post by Scott » #105281

I think its bad.
Braincake
Byond Username: Braincake

Post by Braincake » #105282

Does this add a button for each available tank? Couldn't really get this from the PR.

If yes, is there some distinction between, for instance, two emergency tanks in your pockets?
kosmos

Post by kosmos » #105283

Scott wrote:I think its bad.
Please elaborate.
Braincake wrote:Does this add a button for each available tank? Couldn't really get this from the PR.

If yes, is there some distinction between, for instance, two emergency tanks in your pockets?
Yes, each tank gets an action button. If they are the same type of tank, there will be no knowing which one is which unless you remember the order you took them out, the first one being is the leftmost.

The current system does it so that you have no direct control over using a particular tank if you have multiple ones. It just uses the first thing which it finds checking through hands --> suit storage --> belt --> pocket.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #105285

We have a button for internals already, it's been there since forever. Changing that is bad. Moving that button to the already crowded action button "bar" is bad.
Braincake

Post by Braincake » #105288

kosmos wrote:Yes, each tank gets an action button. If they are the same type of tank, there will be no knowing which one is which unless you remember the order you took them out, the first one being is the leftmost.

The current system does it so that you have no direct control over using a particular tank if you have multiple ones. It just uses the first thing which it finds checking through hands --> suit storage --> belt --> pocket.
I know about the current system; it's why I asked. This would be an improvement in that regard.

However, where is the on-screen indicator that you're running on internals? This is pretty vital information, and confining it to the status tab would be awfully restrictive. Unless I'm blind and missing something from the webm, there is no indicator at all.
kosmos

Post by kosmos » #105289

Braincake wrote:However, where is the on-screen indicator that you're running on internals? This is pretty vital information, and confining it to the status tab would be awfully restrictive. Unless I'm blind and missing something from the webm, there is no indicator at all.
Excellent point, in the PR the only way know you're running from internals is from the status tab like seen from the video - not ideal, I know, but it does the job. I was hoping someone more competent would later on make some kind of a internals-running-icon for every tank...
Braincake

Post by Braincake » #105292

kosmos wrote:I was hoping someone more competent would later on make some kind of a internals-running-icon for every tank...
Have you considered leaving the current on-screen indicator, until the feature is complete? The status tab is not a viable substitute; if it was, there wouldn't have been need for an on-screen indicator in the first place.
kosmos

Post by kosmos » #105305

I'll try and see if I can make all tanks have same kind of a small flashing overlay light like jetpacks do.