Body fire is underpowered

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Amnestik
Byond Username: Amnestik

Body fire is underpowered

Post by Amnestik » #105440

Seriously, you can remain on fire for like 20 seconds now without being critted, and body fire even extinguishes itself now. I thought it had been changed to wreck your posessions after ten seconds, but having witnessed someone on fire for at least 20 seconds today, it didn't happen.

The wrecking possessions thing is kind of dumb because it's a pretty hard thing to fix and it's pretty easy to set someone on fire, but being able to run around on fire without protection for 20 seconds setting everyone around you alight and then automatically extinguish as though it was nothing is pretty dumb too.

Suggestions:
- Buff the damage body fire does so you have to resist within a few seconds (say 5) of catching alight or get sent into crit within the next 3 or 4
- Remove fire spreading on bump (because it's too quick and too easy to set everyone on screen on fire) and make spreading fire on contact require a burning person to stand adjacent to someone for a second or so to catch them alight

I know people find it comedic when everyone's on fire, but it kind of defeats the purpose of the feature and lowers immersion when it does as little damage as it currently does. It'd be better if there were different stages of burning, but that's probably asking too much.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Re: Body fire is underpowered

Post by lumipharon » #105451

Just need to make damage scale with firestacks, vary the amount of fire stacks given by differetn sources, and DONT LET PEOPLE SPREAD FIRE WHEN THEY ONLY HAVE 1 STACK.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #105482

lumipharon wrote:Just need to make damage scale with firestacks, vary the amount of fire stacks given by differetn sources, and DONT LET PEOPLE SPREAD FIRE WHEN THEY ONLY HAVE 1 STACK.
I like this idea. Stacks start at a set number depending on the source, and increase gradually. You wouldn't be engulfed in flame the second you catch fire. Increasing stacks would also add a sense of urgency when you catch fire. If you don't get it out before it increases a few stacks, you're fucked.
phil235
Byond Username: Phil235

Post by phil235 » #105492

lumipharon wrote:Just need to make damage scale with firestacks, vary the amount of fire stacks given by differetn sources, and DONT LET PEOPLE SPREAD FIRE WHEN THEY ONLY HAVE 1 STACK.
There's currently no damage to scale because the only damage you take while on fire is due to your body temperature. But yeah, adding damage linked to fire stacks would be nice.
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #105493

phil235 wrote:
There's currently no damage to scale because the only damage you take while on fire is due to your body temperature. But yeah, adding damage linked to fire stacks would be nice.
The goonchem pyro chems run off of this.

Their damage scales up with the amount of fire stacks.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #105495

Fire in general is pretty underwelming.

Yesterday I engulfed the entire escape shuttle in fire and the HoS just stood there in the middle flames and had enough time to stun me and beat me to death. He was literally standing in a sea of fire and wasn't actually hindered by it until his internal heat counter finally caught up and applied the burn damage.

Fire takes way too long to warm up the body and its effect remain way too long after you are clear of the fire.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #105507

Body fire is a daft gimmick which is ironically coupled with making actual infernos safer then it gets weakened anyway. I much preferred old infernos with slowmos that lasted a while.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #105602

Essentially fire right now is just absurd when you think about it.

Someone splashing BEER on your head and lighting you up is just as deadly as getting blasted with a flamethrower or running into plasma fire (purely the fire part, that is).
And you're then able to run around setting EVERYONE ON FIRE with your flaming, beer soaked head.

Emulating that goon chem that bases damage off stacks would actually make sense.
Then you can make RAGING PLASMA INFERNO apply X stacks per second you're standing in it, while something like welding fuel sprayed to your face might only be 1 stack.
Following on from this, the guy who is engulfed in burning plasma/napalm etc, could quite believably set other scrubs on fire as he rubs burning plasma on them, where as the guy with burning beer in his hair would not.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #105606

Add to that that the guy with burning beer on his face should be able to light the stacks of unlit welder fluid on the engineer and you got yourself a good flaming system.

I also always found it sad that pouring welder fluid on someone and throwing a welding torch at them didn't make them catch despite it doing burn damage.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #105617

Falamazeer wrote:Add to that that the guy with burning beer on his face should be able to light the stacks of unlit welder fluid on the engineer and you got yourself a good flaming system.

I also always found it sad that pouring welder fluid on someone and throwing a welding torch at them didn't make them catch despite it doing burn damage.
And you can burn people with cigarettes, but you can't ignite them. Muh emursions
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #105985

buff inbound by goof
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #105987

macrofire incoming DUCK AND COVER
Ergovisavi
Byond Username: Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #106234

If we're going to do this, Hot air should take another hit. It's a shit mechanic. Far less interesting than a roaring inferno.