Coderbus Boogaloo Pt. II: Still Shitty

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Re: Coderbus Boogaloo Pt. II: Still Shitty

Post by ChangelingRain » #105723

Bottom post of the previous page:

It probably fucks up the anti ai-tracking thing it has and whoever coded it didn't want to deal with it. Probably.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #105725

If you're worried about the AI and traitors, give the traitors more items to help it beat the AI. Getting rid of the AI is a retarded idea.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #105726

The thing is TC changes are very easy to tweak and revert, if a few days after merging a TC change we discover that its broken everything it takes all but a minute to put up a revert PR and push it through.

I think the powers that be simply do not want to try a easy fix attempt that can easily be reverted for some reason.

I also hope I'm not getting banned from github, but that's off topic.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #105729

it fits. you just have to actually like, name it.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #105730

I should also note that Cheridan permanently banned me from the coderbus IRC for simply asking if we could discuss the TC alteration PR.

He appears to be fixated that I'm going on some kind of political campaign against him, and he seemed really angry towards me.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #105731

And no doubt these comments are further evidence of it in some peoples mind, in this and the armor thread you've mentioned it.
Though I don't blame you trying to lay some tracks ahead of time before you potentially get wrecked.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #105748

Overall I just dislike how Cheridan is shutting down methods of communication and feedback on these PR's, you can't demand to people to get on git and give feedback there while at the same time banning and shutting down people and PR's when they do give their opinion.

I also disagree with Aran merging the revert PR after Cheridan locked and limited the PR to only maintainers being able to make a post.

This scenario shows a clear lack of respect for the playerbase from coderbus, or at least the main guy in charge.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #105751

If Paprika is banned for being an asshole, this guy shouldn't be allowed to touch codebus with a 50 foot pole.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #105760

Stop making coderbus bitch threads in general chat

Holy shit there's a fucking coderbus forum for a reason

Moved
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #105763

I'll put this as short as humanly possible.
Literally as the nerfs and changes, whether its to the combat,gamemodes, or traitors in general have greatly reduced that /tg/ station was. You can go back a year in a half to a two years ago and see the game was fucking fine. Nobody needed TC increases, there wasn't a power creep, armor wasn't too effective, violence wasn't TOO deadly, it was seriously some good old fashion 2d spacemen thunderdome action. So much useless changes have been made that you've destroyed long standing gamemodes because of stupid shit.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #105764

People are starting to try and keep discussion about coders out of the development forums Vekter specifically because the coder forum admins overseeing it have proven well... easy to displease?

As far as I can see there is very little point in players contributing to the code base to try and change the game. The pattern of agitation by head coders followed by reprisal reverts and eventually banning if you actually have a sufficiently differing viewpoint on game design are as poorly intentioned if not more so than hypothetical reverts voted for by the masses could be, you know the bogie man of mob reverts used to in part justify the head coder hierarchy and separation from community review. You can't vote with your contributions, if your desire differs the a leader of coders it is still a foregone conclusion. So it isn't actually a meritocracy what do we have then?
Last edited by Incomptinence on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #105765

Incomptinence wrote:People are starting to try and keep discussion about coders out of the development forums specifically because the coder forum admins overseeing it have proven well... easy to displease?
don't go off-topic and don't be an asshole. Same rules as everywhere else.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #105786

Vekter wrote:Stop making coderbus bitch threads in general chat

Holy shit there's a fucking coderbus forum for a reason

Moved
Ok so there's a coderbus forum that's there for coders and people to discuss code... my thread is about the general players being ignored by coders, exactly how the fuck is posting on the coder forum, which absolutely makes no mention of it being a place to discuss critique of coder personalities/power/influence, a better place to invite regular players to discuss coderbus behavior?

And naturally you moved it to fucking feedback, the exact fucking place that my 25-30TC thread was created, which led to a PR, which led to the super shitty PR close that I complained about. I made it really clear in my post that Feedback was never going to accomplish anything while Cheridan exercised this kind of unilateral decision-making on what's good for the game - and its always been my understanding that Feedback is for feedback on in-game shit, Admins have Admin Feedback... Coders don't have coder feedback, which is precisely part of the fucking problem I was addressing in the GENERAL forum. I imagine if I made feedback about an admin it would be moved to Between this and the NukeOp shit, it's pretty clear that the direction of the game, "If Cheridan doesn't care then you can add it, no matter how shitty it is, and if Cheridan does care he will do some absolutely amazing logical gymnatics to justify shitting on your PR's while merging his own".

I didn't think it was possible to have less faith in anything on /tg/station than coderbus but forum moderators reminded me of just how low you can sink.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #105799

The problem is not that there is nobody in charge.

The problem is that the person in charge has no vision on how the game should improve and suppresses all dissenting opinions.

I don't feel it is really my place to start a vote of no confidence, but I would gladly support it.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #105810

I'd just like to remind you that the headcoder and coder headmin elections are allegedly free and open, so you could theoretically take cheridan off his thousand-year throne if you actually managed to appeal to the maintainers enough that they liked you more than him.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #105816

Working your way through a small exclusive group to usurp the established leaders withstanding random drama, your own problems while performing a task repeatedly and potential banning without oversight and unknown to me avenues of recourse if such happens over months if not years? Head coders don't get deposed they burn out in such a small political landscape you basically need to disown your friends to fall out of power. If coderbus had political factions why would anything but screw the players let us mostly run wild ever prevail? If someone was to bury themselves into the code with relevant concerns today when they reached the top their agenda would be so outdated by the time they got there it would be as unpleasant for players then as random edicts from out of touch head coders are today. If you are putting prime grade beef through a hotdog factory you still get puree in the intestines on the other side.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #105863

I'm going to repeat some things I said in the other thread, because I feel it's pertinent and should be seen how appauling and consistently inconsistent Cheri's behaviour is.
Amelius wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:Unfortunately Cheridan shut down the PR, it might be from anger from when I enquired to him on IRC about another PR I have up.

Its a shame the PR was closed well before the 24 hour limit.
Cheri defended his shitty removal of nuke op implants to the death along with unremovable hardsuits, tried to remove the thread when he realized that he made an ass of himself, then provided a band-aid 'fix' that did nothing to rectify the core problem, all despite only having around half a person in the multi-page thread agreeing with him in any sense. Then, he turns around, in, say, the HoS armor buff reversion pull (https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/10689) where he straight-out claims that he cares what people think, and pushes to 'think of the players, people weren't supporting X' when he clearly doesn't give a fuck about the community or the server if they don't align with his own opinion.

This is a direct quote from him from the nuke op thread when literally everyone was telling him how shitty it was:
Cheridan wrote:How is it that I'm the bad guy for "forcing" this shit upon people, but it's ok for people to force explosive implants upon me?

It's awesome that your opinion is worth more than mine!!
Do we really want someone like that in charge of coderbus? Like, really? Perhaps this gem from just browsing recent pulls will shed more light on this enigmatic figure:
Cheridan wrote: Cheridan locked and limited conversation to collaborators Jul 19, 2015

actually i'm reopening this solely to make steelpoint madder; merge it or don't, i don't care
Are we making babies the be-all-end-all who decide what gets merged and doesn't? This is appauling behaviour for a head coder. It's literally 'I don't like this person, I won't discuss the merits and dismerits of this revert with him or anyone else, I'm just going to whine, complain, and try to revert everything he does regardless of what it is'. How can we possibly count on him to IMPROVE /tg/station? Especially when he shuts down discussion to try to push contested changes through, or perhaps he has, or will even revert liked changes just because he dislikes the person who merged it initially?

Full thread here: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... ke+implant
Seriously, someone make a poll of non-confidence for Paprika Cheridan please. It's clear enough that he's been running this branch into the ground for the past year or two. Why keep him?
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #105881

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:I'd just like to remind you that the headcoder and coder headmin elections are allegedly free and open, so you could theoretically take cheridan off his thousand-year throne if you actually managed to appeal to the maintainers enough that they liked you more than him.
I might be wrong, but only contributors can vote on those.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #105883

The last vote was locked to maintainers only, so only the people who were in a position of power could vote or nominate themselves.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #105984

Amelius wrote:I'm going to repeat some things I said in the other thread, because I feel it's pertinent and should be seen how appauling and consistently inconsistent Cheri's behaviour is.
Amelius wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:Unfortunately Cheridan shut down the PR, it might be from anger from when I enquired to him on IRC about another PR I have up.

Its a shame the PR was closed well before the 24 hour limit.
Cheri defended his shitty removal of nuke op implants to the death along with unremovable hardsuits, tried to remove the thread when he realized that he made an ass of himself, then provided a band-aid 'fix' that did nothing to rectify the core problem, all despite only having around half a person in the multi-page thread agreeing with him in any sense. Then, he turns around, in, say, the HoS armor buff reversion pull (https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/10689) where he straight-out claims that he cares what people think, and pushes to 'think of the players, people weren't supporting X' when he clearly doesn't give a fuck about the community or the server if they don't align with his own opinion.

This is a direct quote from him from the nuke op thread when literally everyone was telling him how shitty it was:
Cheridan wrote:How is it that I'm the bad guy for "forcing" this shit upon people, but it's ok for people to force explosive implants upon me?

It's awesome that your opinion is worth more than mine!!
Do we really want someone like that in charge of coderbus? Like, really? Perhaps this gem from just browsing recent pulls will shed more light on this enigmatic figure:
Cheridan wrote: Cheridan locked and limited conversation to collaborators Jul 19, 2015

actually i'm reopening this solely to make steelpoint madder; merge it or don't, i don't care
Are we making babies the be-all-end-all who decide what gets merged and doesn't? This is appauling behaviour for a head coder. It's literally 'I don't like this person, I won't discuss the merits and dismerits of this revert with him or anyone else, I'm just going to whine, complain, and try to revert everything he does regardless of what it is'. How can we possibly count on him to IMPROVE /tg/station? Especially when he shuts down discussion to try to push contested changes through, or perhaps he has, or will even revert liked changes just because he dislikes the person who merged it initially?

Full thread here: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... ke+implant
Seriously, someone make a poll of non-confidence for Paprika Cheridan please. It's clear enough that he's been running this branch into the ground for the past year or two. Why keep him?
Yeah man make a poll lol, that will show him
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #106010

Code fork when?
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #106022

Safe to say when you can be permbanned from github and shit for disagreeing with the headcoder you know it's gone down from there.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #106031

You can be permabanned for repeatedly ignoring a headcoder saying that your change will not be accepted.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #106048

Oldman wrote::words:
This is Coderbus feedback. This forum is the Feedback forum in the Coderbus section.
Spoiler:

Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #106082

I'm just saying Cheridan and Paprika were so buddy buddy back when Pap wasn't permabanned. Their similar mindsets in raging against anyone who disagrees with them and inability to listen to the players are telltale marks for huge fucking douchenozzles
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #106086

Bombadil wrote:I'm just saying Cheridan and Paprika were so buddy buddy back when Pap wasn't permabanned. Their similar mindsets in raging against anyone who disagrees with them and inability to listen to the players are telltale marks for huge fucking douchenozzles
If what you're saying isn't hyperbolic and Paprika is banned, it's extremely hypocritical to let Cheridan get away with how he's acting.
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #106099

Luke Cox wrote:
Bombadil wrote:I'm just saying Cheridan and Paprika were so buddy buddy back when Pap wasn't permabanned. Their similar mindsets in raging against anyone who disagrees with them and inability to listen to the players are telltale marks for huge fucking douchenozzles
If what you're saying isn't hyperbolic and Paprika is banned, it's extremely hypocritical to let Cheridan get away with how he's acting.
He's not being hyperbolic. I'm sure I can dig up some old Paprika goldies to compare side-by-side with Cheris. From personal experience, it's like they're clones, while Pap was honest about being a dick, Cheri tries to pretend that he isn't, even if he really is.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #106105

are we going to play the "compare X person you dislike with paprika" game? that's a fun game

edit: wow we're literally doing the "compare paprika posts with cheridan posts so that we can ruin their good times on a video game because we're unable to not get anally devastated over code" game

beautiful

have this amazing meme as a reward

Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #106107

Speaking of which, does anyone remember dannos?
He was sarcastic and snarky, just like goofball.

Edit to also include goofs edit: He also strawmanned hard, and was the loudest person to scream strawman, but his outrage over the ad hom he wasn't the inventor of was even worse.

How about you adress the meat of it, and that's that if we had a poll like with HG we'd see similar numbers for cheridan because he's made a habit of being a dink, and now he's getting louder, and there's fuck all to be done about it without some rabble rabble.
Last edited by Falamazeer on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #106109

Falamazeer wrote:Speaking of which, does anyone remember dannos?
at least I didn't take Project Lead on NTstation, spend all of it arguing with the other project lead, and then suddenly quit without warning or reason one day

:^)
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #106110

iamgoofball wrote:
at least I didn't take Project Lead on NTstation, spend all of it arguing with the other project lead, and then suddenly quit without warning or reason one day

I don't recall ever doing that.

Or do you mean dannos? is that what happened to that butt twinkie?
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #106113

Falamazeer wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:

I don't recall ever doing that.

Or do you mean dannos? is that what happened to that butt twinkie?
ye, dannos just out of the blue quit, and then I guess found his way to lifeweb where he resides shitposting about us
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #106114

Fuck em. he said my prosecutor suit was ugly. I like the triple cravet thank you.
But yeah, you've hit dannos retarded levels, Gif memes and ad hom, ad hom.

so there.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #106162

I don't think this is an appropriate place to soapbox about how much you hate dannos. That's childish and pointless.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #106209

Vekter wrote:
Oldman wrote::words:
This is Coderbus feedback. This forum is the Feedback forum in the Coderbus section.
I think everyone's interpretation of this forum is:

Place where you complain about game mechanics, which is something only coders can fix.

not

Place where everything discussing the coderbus belongs.

The description of this forum is >Implying the game isn't perfect

not

>Implying Cheridan doesn't have control issues

I mean look at the other threads, does this post really feel like it fits in here? At least general has broad complants against the administration/management, which is precisely what this is.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #106350

I do agree that headcoders should hold the same countability that headadmins have, as well as being elected in a similar manner because right now headcoders have no obligation to the server or any accountability to anyone aside from themselves.

Furthermore I think the issue of 'balance' should not be one that a single person or small group of people have complete dictatorial control over, essentially one person's view should not utterly trump over another's.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #106362

It's fits in the PDA after you forge it.
Xhagi
Byond Username: Aliannera

Post by Xhagi » #106393

While I still consider myself new here by a few months, I feel urged to give an opinion. I don't understand the whole politics of the coderbus or even what it all means, but if the person who heads the coding of the game does not listen to the players who play it, why is he not being asked to step down or voted out? After all it is the players affected most by things like this. And if he's banning people outright and closing PRs and shit on things people are interested in and not allowing discussion, again, why is he not being held accountable for said actions?

It seems to me to be a classic case of someone in power who is trying to maintain it though shady actions. That's not the kind of person you want in power. But, as I'll clarify, I'm still new-ish and likely don't know the full story, and if someone could give a fuller story if I'm wrong I'd appreciate it. As a player, I just do not want to see the server split and torn due to internal, behind the scenes politics. All this drama is very foreboding for the future of the servers and, to me, is a bit unsettling. But I can't help but pay attention because I feel it will have a large impact on the servers at some point. I just wanna play muh spessmens.
Professional Catgirl and Gayboy Supreme.
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #106408

Aliannera wrote:While I still consider myself new here by a few months, I feel urged to give an opinion. I don't understand the whole politics of the coderbus or even what it all means, but if the person who heads the coding of the game does not listen to the players who play it, why is he not being asked to step down or voted out? After all it is the players affected most by things like this. And if he's banning people outright and closing PRs and shit on things people are interested in and not allowing discussion, again, why is he not being held accountable for said actions?

It seems to me to be a classic case of someone in power who is trying to maintain it though shady actions. That's not the kind of person you want in power. But, as I'll clarify, I'm still new-ish and likely don't know the full story, and if someone could give a fuller story if I'm wrong I'd appreciate it. As a player, I just do not want to see the server split and torn due to internal, behind the scenes politics. All this drama is very foreboding for the future of the servers and, to me, is a bit unsettling. But I can't help but pay attention because I feel it will have a large impact on the servers at some point. I just wanna play muh spessmens.
It's because despite sharing forums, the codebase being linked to on the main website, some coders possibly having admin powers for testing purposes, and the server mainly being used as a test bed for major changes, /tg/station the codebase is a separate entity from /tg/station the server. At least, that's what coderbus says.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #106412

At the end of the day the only server that uses /tg/code is /tg/station. I don't think or know of any major server aside from ourselves that uses /tg/code, even Hippestation uses their own branch of /tg/code which is heavily modified with many features from other code bases.
Xhagi

Post by Xhagi » #106484

Then clearly the separation of the coderbus and servers is a rather non-existent thing.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #106508

There is no power grabbing by any of the headcoders, the headcoders don't actually DO anything. I think it's unfair to call them accountable for anything when they have NEVER interacted with their own coders. The bigger question is WHY the headcoder position even exists, and that basically boils down to setting code quality standards and calling feature freezes. They don't have anything to do with the direction of the game, they VERY rarely veto something, and most of the time they just act like any other maintainer, occasionally merging a PR when there's not that much controversy surrounding it and the PR's creator has given the go-ahead. The last time that happened was when someone repeatedly (3 times, maybe 4) put up a PR to bring back the full shittyness that was stungloves (and you KNOW they're shitty to play against).

We have no system in place whatsoever to blame any of this on the head coders on the individual coder's experience, because that's not what their position is even about.

I'd also like to play as the devil's advocate here and point out that the coders as a whole do a shitload more good than harm. You get annoyed by maybe less than 5% of what actually gets changed, and we DO reject really stupid ideas or shitty changes out of common sense. A few bad things slip through, and that's why the feedback forums exist. The coders DO respond very frequently, and if they don't, call the INDIVIDUAL coder who is to blame out on it.
Apparently I was an director or something.
AdenAbrafo
Byond Username: AdenAbrafo

Post by AdenAbrafo » #106512

didnt read the thread because im assuming anything said here actually isnt worth wasting my time to read

Why can't people just be civil about coding? If a discussion already took place about the change and you were not present for the discussion then shut up, sorry but you missed it and it happened. You can have another discussion all you want but the discussion that mattered already took place
If there was no discussion and Cheridan is being a knob for the sake of being a knob, which I doubt, then there's a problem. That doesn't seem to be what's happening though. What seems to be happening is that an opinion that some disagreed with got pushed through because others agreed with it and discussed it in the correct setting.
Nick Elwood says, "brain your guitly of incompitence and sencected to public flogging and banishment"
DEAD: Andrew Mitchell says, "LIONUS HAS ANGER ISSUES AND AUTISM"
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #106515

AdenAbrafo wrote: If there was no discussion and Cheridan is being a knob for the sake of being a knob, which I doubt, then there's a problem. That doesn't seem to be what's happening though. What seems to be happening is that an opinion that some disagreed with got pushed through because others agreed with it and discussed it in the correct setting.
That is just not true. The proposed changes had a multitude of threads in which wide support for them was advocated. The PR concerning traitor TC (just one of the examples) had lots of support both in the forums and github. I was just shut down within 4 hours with a "LOL NOPE" reasoning.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
AdenAbrafo
Byond Username: AdenAbrafo

Post by AdenAbrafo » #106517

Unless the official stance of the coderbus has been changed by those in charge then this is the wrong place for this discussion regardless of what happened.
Nick Elwood says, "brain your guitly of incompitence and sencected to public flogging and banishment"
DEAD: Andrew Mitchell says, "LIONUS HAS ANGER ISSUES AND AUTISM"
rockpecker
Byond Username: Rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #106551

AdenAbrafo wrote:What seems to be happening is that an opinion that some disagreed with got pushed through because others agreed with it and discussed it in the correct setting.
says someone who admits he didn't read the thread.
Remove the AI.
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #106554

@Aden, if you aren't willing to actually read the content of a thread, then don't offer your opinion on it. It's a mark of a fool to offer an opinion on something you, yourself admit you know nothing about.
Xhagi

Post by Xhagi » #106562

I do agree though that I feel this thread does not belong here. This section is for gameplay feedback I thought, not coderbus feedback. Don't know where else it would belong, other than General.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #106571

WJohnston wrote:There is no power grabbing by any of the headcoders, the headcoders don't actually DO anything. I think it's unfair to call them accountable for anything when they have NEVER interacted with their own coders. The bigger question is WHY the headcoder position even exists, and that basically boils down to setting code quality standards and calling feature freezes. They don't have anything to do with the direction of the game, they VERY rarely veto something, and most of the time they just act like any other maintainer, occasionally merging a PR when there's not that much controversy surrounding it and the PR's creator has given the go-ahead. The last time that happened was when someone repeatedly (3 times, maybe 4) put up a PR to bring back the full shittyness that was stungloves (and you KNOW they're shitty to play against).

We have no system in place whatsoever to blame any of this on the head coders on the individual coder's experience, because that's not what their position is even about.

I'd also like to play as the devil's advocate here and point out that the coders as a whole do a shitload more good than harm. You get annoyed by maybe less than 5% of what actually gets changed, and we DO reject really stupid ideas or shitty changes out of common sense. A few bad things slip through, and that's why the feedback forums exist. The coders DO respond very frequently, and if they don't, call the INDIVIDUAL coder who is to blame out on it.
How do you reconcile that with what happened to this PR. Cheridan shut it down after a few hours of mostly supportive comments because a month ago Cheridan shut down a 40TC version. There's a pretty huge fucking difference between 30 and 40, and it was clear that this was the first phase of the proposal since it didn't even include the full text of the proposal I made.

There's no version of this story that doesn't involve Cheridan being a shit. A coder took a proposal that was getting support on feedback, brought it to Github and just as the discussion is getting started Cheridan decides that WE CANT TOLERATE THIS KIND OF STUFF and shuts it all down immediately.

Why would I ever get the impression that my feedback matters when you've got a headcoder powertripping that hard.

Edit: I agree it belongs in General, that's where I posted it. But the last three "general code/server/development/management" concerns have all been sabotaged by our wonderful forums mods, using whatever excuse possible to shove these threads into the most obscure forum that they can justify.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #106574

To add to Oldman's post.

I then go onto the coderbus IRC in a attempt to talk to Cheridan and convince him to reopen the PR, as well as several other contentious PR's. His response is to ban me from the IRC and from github permanently.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #106639

WJohnston wrote:and the PR's creator has given the go-ahead.
Funny you say that.