Coderbus Boogaloo Pt. II: Still Shitty

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Coderbus Boogaloo Pt. II: Still Shitty

Post by Steelpoint » #107503

Bottom post of the previous page:

Also I was not doubling TC's I was only giving traitors 10 more TC's as well as working to balance certain powerful items such as bombs.

Though we will never know what additional balancing we would have done since you closed the PR well before any good in-depth discussion could occur, and then triggered the whole situation that ruined any chance of a good discussion for well over a week.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #107520

Steelpoint wrote:Also I was not doubling TC's I was only giving traitors 10 more TC's as well as working to balance certain powerful items such as bombs.

Though we will never know what additional balancing we would have done since you closed the PR well before any good in-depth discussion could occur, and then triggered the whole situation that ruined any chance of a good discussion for well over a week.
See, this part is what gets me. I'd totally understand the coderbus rejecting the change after a reasonable discussion, but closing the PR before discussion can take place and banning the person who made it is fucking unacceptable on all levels.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #107521

Cheridan wrote:You don't know who I'm calling unappeasable, beyond the one person I mentioned. The list currently clocks in at 7 whole people, tracked by my forum block list and they certainly didn't pop up suddenly.

@Dorsidarf: The end goal was the same regardless, to increase the power of traitors.

The difference is, yours had some actual thought behind it.

Doubing TC would have COMPLETELY FUCKED Double Agent mode, which is already a clusterfuck as an increased number of traitors all attempt to simultaneously blow up the station so the guy trying to kill them dies too.
I find the notion that there was no idea behind increasing traitor TC insulting. There were multiple threads with polls and argumentation provided why an increase in traitor TC would improve the mode.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #107542

Are you people still being dumb and trying to Cheridan of all people? It doesn't matter what you do or say he isn't going to admit he might not be right.

Cheridan seriously, when you write shit like:
Cheridan wrote:You misinterpret me. I don't give a shit WHAT YOU IN PARTICULAR THINK. You are not Head Of Playerbus. You are not the community. You are a plague, a mewling saltbaby, a tryhard who pretends to be good at the game and writes 3-page essays whenever something ruins your sad facade by wrecking your shit in hopes of getting it nerfed.
It shows that you are getting pretty upset about this, you are getting upset about spacemans. You are actively insulting someone that hasn't exactly been doing anything other than give fairly detailed feedback about stuff. Considering that almost everyone that isn't in bus regularly that is posting in this thread has supported what he is saying to some degree might show that he has some feel for the game and actually have opinions on this issue more in line with the community than yours are. But instead you call him a bunch of names and attempt to dismiss him.

You are being a dick. Please get off the high horse, its dead and you are being buried with it.

NTstation2: Github takeover society soon. lol jks
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #107549

Cheridan wrote: You misinterpret me. I don't give a shit WHAT YOU IN PARTICULAR THINK. You are not Head Of Playerbus. You are not the community. You are a plague, a mewling saltbaby, a tryhard who pretends to be good at the game and writes 3-page essays whenever something ruins your sad facade by wrecking your shit in hopes of getting it nerfed.
Oh man, I'm tickled, you really don't understand how deeply you've deluded yourself. I don't use phrases like "community" unless I'm explicitly referring to an issue that has >50% support on the relevant forum thread, or I'm referring to Coderbus behavior toward these forums and the community they represent, not anyone/anything that *I* represent, since I have no goddamn illusions about my role here. You're trying really hard to build that strawman and it's not going to work.

Only iota of truth present in your comment is that I write a lot. It's fucking hilarious that you're going to fault someone for lengthy feedback when just a week ago you went on a similar rant in this very thread about how I wasn't doing enough to communicate my thoughts to coders just goes to show the extent of the deluded little narrative you've built up to justify why you're still right and everyone who criticizes you is wrong.
Cheridan wrote:What isn't a valid source of feedback is someone who's completely unappeasable, and will never be satisfied whatever you do. Which Shitpostin has absolutely proven himself.
Let's look through our comment histories and see which of us looks like they're trying to improve the game and which of us is a Platinum member of the Shitposter's Club.

It's hard to be unappeasable when you've done absolutely nothing to appease anyone here. The best evidence you can put forward is "Well when I was completely wrong about something and insulted everyone who disagreed with me, I didn't unilaterally close a PR that addressed the issue at a later point". When "not doing anything" is the best point of your defense, maybe that says something about what kind of job you're doing. You want a role model, look at Ikkarus and his Gang War thread. He consistently interacted with this forum for feedback, was extremely responsive to concerns, and even where he disagreed with someone he would explain his reasoning and be respectful about it.

It really shouldn't be a surprise that Gang War went from "worse than meteor mode" to "contender for top game mode" in a matter of weeks. That sort of behavior is what you should aspire for, and to the extent you're just not willing to engage in that kind of dialogue with the community while still retaining absolute authority over "the direction of the game" - maybe you should let someone else take the reins.

Also Re: The Traitor TC shitshow. For a bus that chants "improve not remove" like a goddamn cult, you'd think they would see the merits in letting Steelpoint tweak TC costs in the 20->30 change rather than just completely shutting it down within a few hours. The thread I created spurring the change already referenced stuff like crates/kits and other big-ticket items as needing a proportional upgrade too, there was never any doubt that the PR was going to go through a few edits to account for that stuff. But you just completely shut it down and are trying to pretend now that nobody else saw what needed to be fixed.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #107582

Cheridan wrote:hehehe strawman iota criticize criticize

i'm yoou
> I have no argument so I'll put out something in a mocking tone, ignoring the content of the message.

A+.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #107587

Amelius wrote:
Cheridan wrote:hehehe strawman iota criticize criticize

i'm yoou
> I have no argument so I'll put out something in a mocking tone, ignoring the content of the message.

A+.
More like any proper response I make will get Debate Clubbed to death, so I'm saving myself time while enjoying myself by baiting him into another wall of text.

Oh I missed "unilaterally" while mocking him.

fyi amelius you're one of the 7 i mentioned
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #107597

Cheridan wrote:People who call me out on being directionless are part of a super secret list of opinion holders I exclude, so that way only feedback that agrees with my preconceived notions are valid, My approval rating is now 100%
Wow. really?
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #107603

You people need a bit more tact. If your idea of getting what you want is to shout each other down with your opinions and insults and have a popularity contest to be the determining factor in resolution, the net result will be undoubtedly negative.

It doesn't matter how well thought out your viewpoint is, and there are some really good, well-thought out discussions going on here.
Mime: Depresso
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #107606

invisty wrote:You people need a bit more tact. If your idea of getting what you want is to shout each other down with your opinions and insults and have a popularity contest to be the determining factor in resolution, the net result will be undoubtedly negative.

It doesn't matter how well thought out your viewpoint is, and there are some really good, well-thought out discussions going on here.
They're screaming at a brick wall. I understand where you're coming from, but the reason they feel the way they do is because they've attempted to give constructive feedback, and immediately shut down.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #107618

After robustin tried every other method of communication and been shut down. he's entitled to some screaming.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #107620

Steelpoint wrote:Can we stop shitposting in a thinly veiled attempt in getting this thread locked?

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but it seems a lot of the higher up coders are just shitposting in this thread, if I did not know better I would attribute malicious attempt behind those posts.
Or because the thread is pointlessly cucked!
Xhagi
Byond Username: Aliannera

Post by Xhagi » #107621

All I'm getting out of this thread is that Oldman is pretty much right. Can't form a counter argument so will shitpost instead is far from a great idea of getting ones point across.
Professional Catgirl and Gayboy Supreme.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #107622

Did you read the OP?
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #107627

Scott wrote:Did you read the OP?
I sure didn't.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #107642

Cheridan wrote:
Scott wrote:Did you read the OP?
I sure didn't.
This is why people don't like you.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #107645

Well I think everyone's stance is perfectly clear by now.

The question now is what is going to be done.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #107649

It's kind of sad that I can't be arsed to read this whole thread, because ForcefulCJS is just a more vitriolic dezzmont.

It's an open codebase that you are capable of contributing to. If people like the OP spent half the time they did writing these rants learning how to code for the game they seem so concerned about, things would not only be different but they would have a lot more room to complain.

I don't think specific incidents of "coder took liberties as a contributor/authority within the codebase" are reason to make extreme rage threads and then never try to fix the problem yourself

Why don't you guys just make and maintain your own fork at this point? Oldmanstation or whatever, you can PR all the balance changes you'd like, who knows, maybe you could convince MSO to swap to it.

Doing nothing but shitpost on the forums gives you almost no room to complain.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #107651

Scones wrote:It's kind of sad that I can't be arsed to read this whole thread, because ForcefulCJS is just a more vitriolic dezzmont.

It's an open codebase that you are capable of contributing to. If people like the OP spent half the time they did writing these rants learning how to code for the game they seem so concerned about, things would not only be different but they would have a lot more room to complain.

I don't think specific incidents of "coder took liberties as a contributor/authority within the codebase" are reason to make extreme rage threads and then never try to fix the problem yourself

Why don't you guys just make and maintain your own fork at this point? Oldmanstation or whatever, you can PR all the balance changes you'd like, who knows, maybe you could convince MSO to swap to it.

This argument holds zero water when we're talking about fixes to non issueshttps://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/6925 that no one asked for or likes, and after 2 months of refusing to admit that literally every person saying it was dumb may be right, makes a 'fix' that still leaves ops fucked https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/8107, or PR's that get made by 'people like the OP', with large amounts of support, only to get immediately shut down by cheri https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/10702.
Last edited by lumipharon on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #107653

Have you actually tried to contribute, or are you just going to cling on to Steelpoint's closed PR forever now?
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #107656

Well Lumi has reported several bugs on the git in the proper fashion (as has oldman) but hey keep beating the players worthless until they get a merged pull dead horse.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #107657

Learn2code is the biggest crock of shit, How about you guys learn2balance?
And the steelpoint fight is a prime example of knowing coding not getting past the problem being pointed out here.
invisty

Post by invisty » #107659

CPTANT wrote:Well I think everyone's stance is perfectly clear by now.

Nothing will change until people realise that the situation is based on a flawed premise. The problem isn't contributors making changes on a whim and denying feedback, the problem is a complete failure to relate to your fellow human being, as evidenced by this entire thread. Let's go back to the OP, and imagine we're Cheridan reading it. Assume that we, as Cheridan, are reasonably happy in our world view. How do we react to this criticism? Do we magically come around to CJS's point of view? He hasn't related at all to our world view in his post, and (not imposing upon Cheridan's thoughts), CJS probably seems like a noisy little upstart who never contributed anything and doesn't know anything about game development ((No insult meant, CJS)). Thus, can we be surprised to see that Cheridan responds with "wow you sure do say a lot of things"? No, honestly, we can't. Because that's the level of expectation we've set for the behaviour of contributors. CJS is right in being upset with Cheridan's response, and I think he is totally in the right to do so. Unfortunately, he's put himself on the back foot from the start, and only succeeds in promoting the status quo of resolving problems by conflict instead of mature discussion and negotiation.

If people intend to improve the quality of coderbus, it isn't going to be achieved by removing people from power when their world-view doesn't fit your own. They will simply be replaced by another person with different opinions - and thus the problem continues forever. If you want to improve the quality of coderbus, everyone needs to be more willing to take criticism and judgement, and they need to be more thoughtful in offering criticism and judgement.

If you don't believe me, ask yourself who the best contributors to tgstation are, and consider how they behave when it comes to offering and receiving criticism and ideas.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #107660

I think the people siding with Cheridan don't quite understand what we want. We don't want him to implement every change we want. All we want is communication. No matter how you look at it, Cheridan's attitude is incredibly shitty. He's acting like a spoiled 8 year old.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #107661

Luke Cox wrote:I think the people siding with Cheridan don't quite understand what we want. We don't want him to implement every change we want. All we want is communication. No matter how you look at it, Cheridan's attitude is incredibly shitty. He's acting like a spoiled 8 year old.
Scott wrote:Have you actually tried to contribute, or are you just going to cling on to Steelpoint's closed PR forever now?
I'm sure a lot of us would love to, but we're afraid that we'll get shut down if we do anything Cheridan disagrees with.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #107662

invisty wrote:
CPTANT wrote:Well I think everyone's stance is perfectly clear by now.

Nothing will change until people realise that the situation is based on a flawed premise. The problem isn't contributors making changes on a whim and denying feedback, the problem is a complete failure to relate to your fellow human being, as evidenced by this entire thread. Let's go back to the OP, and imagine we're Cheridan reading it. Assume that we, as Cheridan, are reasonably happy in our world view. How do we react to this criticism? Do we magically come around to CJS's point of view? He hasn't related at all to our world view in his post, and (not imposing upon Cheridan's thoughts), CJS probably seems like a noisy little upstart who never contributed anything and doesn't know anything about game development ((No insult meant, CJS)). Thus, can we be surprised to see that Cheridan responds with "wow you sure do say a lot of things"? No, honestly, we can't. Because that's the level of expectation we've set for the behaviour of contributors. CJS is right in being upset with Cheridan's response, and I think he is totally in the right to do so. Unfortunately, he's put himself on the back foot from the start, and only succeeds in promoting the status quo of resolving problems by conflict instead of mature discussion and negotiation.

If people intend to improve the quality of coderbus, it isn't going to be achieved by removing people from power when their world-view doesn't fit your own. They will simply be replaced by another person with different opinions - and thus the problem continues forever. If you want to improve the quality of coderbus, everyone needs to be more willing to take criticism and judgement, and they need to be more thoughtful in offering criticism and judgement.

If you don't believe me, ask yourself who the best contributors to tgstation are, and consider how they behave when it comes to offering and receiving criticism and ideas.
This thread doesn't exist in isolation. Some guy randomly coming out of nowhere and calling you a cunt is not the same as repeated efforts across multiple platforms getting snubbed, ignored or responded to with smugness or shitty memes.
invisty

Post by invisty » #107664

To be clear, lumi, I'm not assuming it's some sort of one off isolated event. I myself recently had a go at trying to post carefully considered criticism on github, only to receive dismissive one-liners from more than one author.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #107665

invisty wrote:To be clear, lumi, I'm not assuming it's some sort of one off isolated event. I myself recently had a go at trying to post carefully considered criticism on github, only to receive dismissive one-liners from more than one author.
And that is our problem with the way coderbus functions. That is what we want to change.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #107666

Falamazeer wrote:Learn2code is the biggest crock of shit
Why is this the biggest crock of shit? I want an answer.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #107668

The more you paint coderbus as an evil exclusive club, the less new people will want to contribute. Then you end up with only jaded people who don't give a shit about what you say coding for the server, making true the lies you keep spouting.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #107673

iamgoofball wrote:
Because it doesn't change the fact that even if they did learn to code and contributed, they would just be shot down by the higher ups if they disagree with anything. Why would anybody even want to get involved with coderbus in its current state?
Scott wrote:The more you paint coderbus as an evil exclusive club, the less new people will want to contribute. Then you end up with only jaded people who don't give a shit about what you say coding for the server, making true the lies you keep spouting.
Then stop fucking doing it.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #107674

Luke Cox wrote: Because it doesn't change the fact that even if they did learn to code and contributed, they would just be shot down by the higher ups if they disagree with anything. Why would anybody even want to get involved with coderbus in its current state?
This doesn't happen.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #107675

Scott wrote:
Luke Cox wrote: Because it doesn't change the fact that even if they did learn to code and contributed, they would just be shot down by the higher ups if they disagree with anything. Why would anybody even want to get involved with coderbus in its current state?
This doesn't happen.
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #107686

It literally just happened.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #107687

iamgoofball wrote:
Because coding does not automatically grant competence in game balance, or even good sense.
You don't have to code to contribute relevant ideas, feedback, or criticism, that's why learn2code is a crock of shit.

It's shifting the blame from yourself back at the person complaining. 'You don't like what I cooked? then learn2cook"
And that's reasonable to a point, that point ends when blatant glaring issues are introduced into the meal for seemingly no good reason at all. In no part of the world can you serve dog shit on a plate and expect gratitude, I don't care if it's free. I might try to eat around the shitty parts if I'm hungry enough, but I'm going to speculate loudly and often about how great a meal it could have been if it weren't for all this salt and speckles of dog shit.

In this context specifically, another good reason is that I don't want to be under a maintainer who makes the playerbase hate me.
Shit like this thread, and his handling of it are why words like "schism" and "Cancer" and even "Out of touch" are applied to you as a whole. It's poking the irritated people and leaning on the coderbus and acting like that smug douche in lethal weapon "diplomatic immunity bwahahahaahahahaa" This is exactly the sort of thing that promotes "us" and "them" mentalities.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #107702

As I've said before knowing how to code does not automatically grant you intricate knowledge of in game balance and how systems will function.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #107703

It does grant you the power to make changes.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #107709

Scott wrote:It does grant you the power to make changes.
That's useless if your changes are really shitty, or the people in charge have a terrible vision of what is and isn't shitty.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #107711

Code the changes yourself, if you are so great and wise.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #107717

Scott wrote:Code the changes yourself, if you are so great and wise.
Give me control of the codebase, I will solve all problems.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #107718

Scott wrote:Code the changes yourself, if you are so great and wise.
The whole point of this topic is that people have been trying to do that, but have been rejected with barely any chance for discussion.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #107727

you can always make your own codebase if you don't like the design decisions.

These are the great freedoms that RMS has granted upon to thee with his GNU license, so that they may never live under the yoke of an evil dictator ever again.

Thou shalt be able to read the code freely
Thou shalt be able to change the code freely
Thou shalt be able to copy the code and redistribute the changed version with the freedoms intact.

Go forth ye worthy and carve thine own technical destiny.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #107728

So you're saying that making an entire new codebase, with accompanying servers and playerbase is more reasonable then asking one person to actually listen to player feedback?

Ok.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #107734

GO FORTH AND CARVE IT
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #107754

Welp, in the span of one thread I've gone from being neutral on the coderbus issue to wanting to beat the shit out of them. The criticisms leveled at them regarding terrible communication and utter dismissal of the community have been completely validated in my eyes. Their attitude is utterly disgusting and even if you don't feel that the community needs to be worried. Responding to somebody who accuses you of communicating poorly with "lol go make your own code" is fucking unproductive and outright juvenile. The coderbus is collectively acting like an 8 year old who don't want anybody else playing with their toys, and quite frankly anybody who replied with the aforementioned comment should be fucking embarrassed. If that is the best you can muster, you don't belong in any position of authority.
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #107759

invisty wrote:To be clear, lumi, I'm not assuming it's some sort of one off isolated event. I myself recently had a go at trying to post carefully considered criticism on github, only to receive dismissive one-liners from more than one author.
I looked through your comment history on Github and the replies you received, but I didn't see anything rude or dismissive. If a comment slighted you please provide a link to me and I'll check it out and talk with the offending parties if needed.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #107761

Luke Cox wrote:Welp, in the span of one thread I've gone from being neutral on the coderbus issue to wanting to beat the shit out of them. The criticisms leveled at them regarding terrible communication and utter dismissal of the community have been completely validated in my eyes. Their attitude is utterly disgusting and even if you don't feel that the community needs to be worried. Responding to somebody who accuses you of communicating poorly with "lol go make your own code" is fucking unproductive and outright juvenile. The coderbus is collectively acting like an 8 year old who don't want anybody else playing with their toys, and quite frankly anybody who replied with the aforementioned comment should be fucking embarrassed. If that is the best you can muster, you don't belong in any position of authority.
ForcefulCJS is not "the community"
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #107763

It is understood that Oldman is a singular person, yes. This many know and comprehend. The premise of one CJS is well established after debating his multiplicity earlier.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #107764

At this point, the only really relevant complaint left seems to be "I was mistreated on Github", which is a reasonable possibility. Does anyone have any specific stories they want to share in that regard?
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #107780

Scones wrote:It's kind of sad that I can't be arsed to read this whole thread, because ForcefulCJS is just a more vitriolic dezzmont.

I spent a couple years learning Java/C++ a while back and BYOND doesn't seem that hard to learn, I would absolutely be open to learning some except we get to the lovely issues that started this thread.

I have no issues with contributing to coderbus. I have every issue with devoting a material amount of time and energy to learn BYOND code for the sole purpose of contributing here only to realize that the Headcoder, who has outright stated that he ignores everything that I post, and since Steelpoint has often taken my Feedback ideas and put them directly into PR's (which typically result in Cheridan shutting it down and waving his ban hammer around)... well it would be absurd to think I'd waste my time like that.
MisterPerson wrote: ForcefulCJS is not "the community"

We've been over this. My complaint is not "Cheridan closed my PR request by proxy, wah wah, he's a big meanie". It's that I advocated for changes on these forums, made several well thought-out arguments, garnered a consensus among the posters here, and then Cheridan doesn't just push back, he shuts down any hope of change with bans/threats/Github authority while simultaneously demonstration 0 fucking interest in what anyone here has to say. This neuters the effectiveness of this forum and creates another filter between the community and coders when you have to walk up to their front doorstep where Cheridan has absolute authority about what dialogue can take place, and essentially beg them to do something. This isn't an accident, this is the way that Cheridan has consolidated his power and he's more than happy to raise a giant middle finger to this forum as part of that process.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #107793

Oldman Robustin wrote: I have no issues with contributing to coderbus. I have every issue with devoting a material amount of time and energy to learn BYOND code for the sole purpose of contributing here only to realize that the Headcoder, who has outright stated that he ignores everything that I post, and since Steelpoint has often taken my Feedback ideas and put them directly into PR's (which typically result in Cheridan shutting it down and waving his ban hammer around)... well it would be absurd to think I'd waste my time like that.
The doors are open to contribute, don't use the excuse of cheridan being stalin to not contribute. If you need any coding help you can get in coderbus and ask for it.