Blob Cores need to be bomb immune again

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Blob Cores need to be bomb immune again

Post by Bombadil » #111159

There is literally nothing stopping a powergamer from making 6 max cap bombs in less than 5 minutes and running 1(which it usually only takes 1) or... 6 suicide bombers in to win. Atleast when cores were Bomb Immune they had a chance to recover
Last edited by Bombadil on Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Re: Blob Cores need to be bomb immune again

Post by ChangelingRain » #111162

Blob cores were never actually immune to bombs, but nobody noticed because the range on devastation was so low.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #111163

Six? Usually ONE max cap bomb will utterly wipe out an entire blob - that shit is completely rediculous.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #111346

The only way to even stand as chance as blob nowadays is to start near science and eat the toxins lab, bombs are just impossible to counter.

Of course when you do that the crew will just call for the self destruct codes 10 minutes after you burst and win anyway.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #111360

How about making the self-destruct a minor victory for the blob? You'd be surprised the efforts players will go to deny an antagonist victory even if it means doing illogical actions.

Or at the very least, give a timer for when nuke codes can be sent for. Maybe the Blob can expend resources on a one-time ability to prevent downloading the nuke codes for a period of time which forces the crew to fight the blob for a time and hold it off from consuming the self-destruct.
As for the thread title, I feel Blobs need bomb resistance but it should be variable to the rest of the blob as well. How about giving regular blob tiles minor bomb resistance? Say 20 resistance for regular and 10-15 resistance for resource tiles, 33 for nodes and strong blob tiles get 50 resistance while the core itself gets complete 100 immunity. Bombs should be for last resort and doing massive damage at the cost of the station's well-being, not the go-to solution.

Plus it's pathetic how a random Bleb can spawn and be wrecked by a welding tank someone had pushed on it's spawn at some point.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #111364

CPTANT wrote:The only way to even stand as chance as blob nowadays is to start near science and eat the toxins lab, bombs are just impossible to counter.

Of course when you do that the crew will just call for the self destruct codes 10 minutes after you burst and win anyway.
Even then a smart crew could go to atmospherics instead and order tank transfer valves

Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #111782

Anonmare wrote:How about making the self-destruct a minor victory for the blob? You'd be surprised the efforts players will go to deny an antagonist victory even if it means doing illogical actions.

Or at the very least, give a timer for when nuke codes can be sent for. Maybe the Blob can expend resources on a one-time ability to prevent downloading the nuke codes for a period of time which forces the crew to fight the blob for a time and hold it off from consuming the self-destruct.
The self-destruct code request is entirely fluff - you're basically just saying "ADMANS PLZ HALP". They still have to manually give the nuke a code, then send it to you.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #111786

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
Anonmare wrote:How about making the self-destruct a minor victory for the blob? You'd be surprised the efforts players will go to deny an antagonist victory even if it means doing illogical actions.

The self-destruct code request is entirely fluff - you're basically just saying "ADMANS PLZ HALP". They still have to manually give the nuke a code, then send it to you.
Which they frequently just do, even if the round isn't dragging on.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #113157

Blob can't even coutner bombs in backpacks since it can't eat corpses so you can send in suicide bombers

Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #113159

WHOA TOXINS RUINS ANOTHER GAMEMODE?!!!
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #113161

Scones wrote:WHOA TOXINS RUINS ANOTHER GAMEMODE?!!!

I mean it should be an easy fix, just make cores immune to bomb damage.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #113187

One bomb doesn't kill but the department sized chunk it can take out pretty much reverts them all the way back to the start with grievous damage on the core.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #113421

Incomptinence wrote:One bomb doesn't kill but the department sized chunk it can take out pretty much reverts them all the way back to the start with grievous damage on the core.
Actually a single bomb can kill the blob outright. They still ahve 5 bombs left

Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #113430

Bombadil wrote:
Incomptinence wrote:One bomb doesn't kill but the department sized chunk it can take out pretty much reverts them all the way back to the start with grievous damage on the core.

I find it a bit sad that modes that are utterly broken like blob is currently with maxcaps in the state that they are are probably going to take several months for an easy fix.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #113451

Zilenan91 wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

I find it a bit sad that modes that are utterly broken like blob is currently with maxcaps in the state that they are are probably going to take several months for an easy fix.

Giving blob tile extra bomb resistance equivalent to walls would be a good one

Strong blobs = Reinforced walls

Still max cap bombs are EXTREMELY powerful and xbox huge

ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #115895

FUCK IT I'VE DONE IT https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/11495
MAKES BLOBS SUPER IMMUNE TO BOMBS SO THEY STOP DYING TO THEM, THANK ME LATER
ALSO GIVES PROPER DESCRIPTIONS TO BLOB STUFF BECAUSE OH MY GOD THOSE WERE CRAP
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
Zoupy
Byond Username: Zoupy

Post by Zoupy » #115944

Anonus wrote:FUCK IT I'VE DONE IT https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/11495
I knew blobs in the past were not really vulnerable to bombs so I did a little digging and it's a bug.

Code: Select all

/obj/effect/blob/ex_act(severity, target)
	..()
	var/damage = 150 - 20 * severity
	take_damage(damage, BRUTE)
You can remove the first line of this function instead of your whole PR.
The blob does not die from the damage of the bomb, it dies because /obj/ex_act gets called.

/obj/ex_act(severity, target)
	if(severity == 1 || target == src)
		qdel(src)
	else if(severity == 2)
		if(prob(50))
			qdel(src)
	if(!gc_destroyed)
		..()
So the blob core has 50% change of dying from sev 2 and 100% from sev 1 no matter its health.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #115991

Zoupy wrote:
Anonus wrote:FUCK IT I'VE DONE IT https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/11495
I knew blobs in the past were not really vulnerable to bombs so I did a little digging and it's a bug.

/obj/effect/blob/ex_act(severity, target)
	..()
	var/damage = 150 - 20 * severity
	take_damage(damage, BRUTE)
You can remove the first line of this function instead of your whole PR.
The blob does not die from the damage of the bomb, it dies because /obj/ex_act gets called.

/obj/ex_act(severity, target)
	if(severity == 1 || target == src)
		qdel(src)
	else if(severity == 2)
		if(prob(50))
			qdel(src)
	if(!gc_destroyed)
		..()
So the blob core has 50% change of dying from sev 2 and 100% from sev 1 no matter its health.
Here's the thing bombs are a fuck ton more powerful anyway now due to the increase in max cap and considering yo ucan make 6 max caps in 10 minutes... This gives a viable defense

Zoupy
Byond Username: Zoupy

Post by Zoupy » #115993

Here's the thing bombs are a fuck ton more powerful anyway now due to the increase in max cap and considering yo ucan make 6 max caps in 10 minutes... This gives a viable defense
I think you missed my point. I'm just saying it was a small bug that made blob vulnerable to bombs.

A bomb right next to the core (no matter the size of the bomb) used to deal 30 damage to it and the core starts with 200 health.
After the bug, it will kill it even if the core had 100k health.

He can just fix this little bug instead of doing a work around patch.
ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #116015

That's not actually a bug, though it IS excessively unclear code and an accidental result, read, the core dying.
It is effectively "Die in devastation range, randomly either die in heavy range or take 27.5 damage, and take 22.5 damage in light range."

Removing that line isn't a proper solution, either, due to how blob code works it'd actually make bombs less effective against blobs than the PR does.
Specifically, it'd nerf devastation range bombs to do low enough damage that even devastation range wouldn't kill a strong blob.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #116066

Heavy damage range is pretty big at present and that 50 50 instagib nonsense includes the core.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #116222

Anonus finally fucking did it.

It only took grudge coding for a coder to finally fix this shit