Space"""cube"""

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Space"""cube"""

Post by MMMiracles » #114038

cool feature in concept but in reality:

-get spaced/jump off
-get trapped in an infinite loop of space (thats not how cubes work??)
-proceed to cry

Its been awhile with this and I'm honestly surprised its still the way it is. The paths make no sense, and there's been multiple times where the 'cube' just either creates an infinite space loop, or somehow wraps around (leaving the right of the station and ending up on the left side).

basically the space""""""""""""""""cube"""""""""""""""" is nothing but lies and burial grounds for broken hopes and dreams as they drift endlessly in the infinite space loop.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Re: Space"""cube"""

Post by ChangelingRain » #114043

Not all the zlevels are the same width and height AND it doesn't switch your direction when you'd move, say, left from the top level, say, the station level, to one of the side levels, say, the mining level.
You don't arrive at the mining level from the top of the mining zlevel, you arrive from the SIDE. This really fucks it up, yes.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #114044

Anonus wrote:Not all the zlevels are the same width and height
Wrong, a limitation of byond is Zlevels must be the same size, they will add the default turf (world.turf) to fill in the gaps on smaller Zs.
Anonus wrote:it doesn't switch your direction when you'd move, say, left from the top level, say, the station level, to one of the side levels, say, the mining level..
This is VERY true.

and the final thing is, Incoming did not set the cube up in a manner as to avoid loops, so it has loops in it, enjoy that shit!
私は完璧
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #114069

MMMiracles wrote:-get trapped in an infinite loop of space (thats not how cubes work??)
yes it is
here i drew you an actually neat diagram (spoilered because the image is huge, here's a direct link to open it in a new tab)
Spoiler:
basically MMMiracles you're saying "i ded pls nerf the concepts of geometry" which is understandable since space doesn't have to be a cube. we could just use random z-level transitions again, but those were severely worse than the cube imo
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #114072

i mean thats how you'd think it work but it just ends with you looping between the same 2 z-levels or, even worse, the same z-level, over and over again.

what part of the cube does the infinite loop translate onto it, i don't really see it.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
don't go for another.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #114077

woah there, if it's looping with only 2 z-levels without turning and it's a cube then something has gone very wrong
are you sure it only pings you between the same 2 z-levels because if so it's fucked
Spoiler:
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #114078

PKPenguin321 wrote:woah there, if it's looping with only 2 z-levels without turning and it's a cube then something has gone very wrong
are you sure it only pings you between the same 2 z-levels because if so it's fucked
I can recall multiple times either from getting spaced or just space traveling where its just ended with me wrapping around the same 1-2 z-levels. Even better when you use the mass-driver and are now stuck forever going that direction, never-ending void of space with no hope of rescue.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #114080

it's fucked
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #114099

Yes, it can loop you across the same z-level for some unknown reason. I've tested this by spawning a pizza on a guy who ahelped he was stuck in space and he kept trying to grab the pizza as it went by.

ADDED HILARITY. For some reason Basil is prone to having infinite immovable rods rip the same length of the station apart forever which sometimes ends up killing the entire server as the next guy that wanders by sees 3 dead bodies in a line of broken walls, stands there to check on the bodies, and ends up getting blasted when the rod loops back around.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #114104

Posted on a request from operative:
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #114106

it can definitely loop between just 2 z levels.

Also if its a cube shouldn't going straight ahead bring you back to the point you left the station at some point? (without obstructions)
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Braincake
Byond Username: Braincake

Post by Braincake » #114112

During one particularly boring Shaft Miner round, I mapped the entire cube of that instance. It consisted of the following transitions:

Code: Select all

Rusty Christman's Memories:
1 W => 5 E
5 S => 1 N
1 E => 6 W
6 E => 6 W
6 N => 7 S
7 W => 7 E
7 E => 3 W
3 S => 1 N
1 N => 7 S
7 S => 1 N
1 S => 3 N
3 N => 4 S
4 E => 6 W
6 W => 5 E
5 E => 7 W
7 N => 4 S
4 S => 1 N
5 N => 4 S
4 N => 4 S
4 W => 5 E
5 W => 3 E
3 E => 5 W
3 W => 6 E
6 S => 3 N
While we're doing a bored-Photoshop-Saturday, judging from the rest of the thread, here's it in spaghetti format:

I probably did a real shitty job at arranging it into a cube, but I'm pretty sure I got the top and bottom right. If anyone wants to take a stab at arranging them properly, here's the PSD.

Of note is that Z-levels 4, 6 and 7 all had infinite loops within themselves, so in a single z-level.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #114139

Yes the space cube is janked because while all the connects FROM a z-level match up fine the relative bearing and momentum of how the z-levels "fold up" into a cube isn't respected properly.

I never fixed this because:

1.) Heading across most z boundries would result in you seemingly turning and heading in a different direction, which makes sense on the cube but seems backwards to a local spessman
2.) I didn't know how to translate momentum at the time because I was/am a scrublord
3.) The bastard in me liked the strange non-eucilidian cube I had spawned.

That said if anyone wants to fix it that's more than fine with me. Bravo to the guys who made maps.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #114140

The static not-cube is fine, the only problem is being looped endlessly on a single z-level. That's really all that should be fixed.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #114141

A while back someone had posted a "swirlcube" where there were no north-south or south-north connections, which is where the looping occurs. I should try to dig it up.

CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #114155

So what's wrong with a normal cube?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #114166

CPTANT wrote:So what's wrong with a normal cube?
Take a cube and orient the z-levels on it so on every border between two sides a local z-level east side meets a local z-level west side and a local z-level north meets a local z-level south side.

Spoilers: It's not possible. The best you could do with what we have right now would be a hexagonal prism with no top or bottom where east/west transition works perfectly but all north south transitions repeat.

If anyone has any cool polygons with five or six sides that avoid the problems listed here, let me know, but I'm fairly certain there's no such thing in 3D space.

CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #114188

Incoming wrote:
CPTANT wrote:So what's wrong with a normal cube?
Take a cube and orient the z-levels on it so on every border between two sides a local z-level east side meets a local z-level west side and a local z-level north meets a local z-level south side.

Spoilers: It's not possible. The best you could do with what we have right now would be a hexagonal prism with no top or bottom where east/west transition works perfectly but all north south transitions repeat.

If anyone has any cool polygons with five or six sides that avoid the problems listed here, let me know, but I'm fairly certain there's no such thing in 3D space.
wut. You got 6 planes of course you can make a cube out of them.

You got 4 planes in a "tube" where each west meets an east side

put a top plane on top map every north side of the tube planes to either the S,E,W or N plane of the top plane (make sure the connection to planes opposite in the tube are also opposite on the top plane)

do the same for the bottom

CUBE
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #114189

You CAN make a cube out of them, but there would need to be special handling code for the top and bottom faces so that they entered out from the right side with the right direction and I'm not sure that's especially easy to do.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #114203

Just make a teleport that lacks a visual effect and changes direction? I mean the edges of the Zs are so low detail I doubt few would care.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #114208

if i'm understanding this right, this is happening because in reality, a cube can be oriented in many different directions (rotated). if you travel up the right side of the cube and go over it, you would go back down the left side. if you travel up the front and go over, you come down the back.
in the game, however, the top and bottom z-levels cannot be rotated like that. they always face up and down, never left and right. if you enter from the right side and go over, you'd come down the back instead of the left, because the top plane of the cube doesn't rotate with the rest of it

tl;dr: read this diagram i made, it explains why the cube is broken
also here's the diagram spoilered, but note that the picture is likely too large to be fully seen on this page unless you have a massive monitor
Spoiler:
bonus: path of travel in a straight line across a space cube. understandably, it appears almost random and makes very little sense.

Incomptinence wrote:Just make a teleport that lacks a visual effect and changes direction? I mean the edges of the Zs are so low detail I doubt few would care.
to the player it would seem as though they've entered the bottom of one z-level and exited from the right side of another and would be really disorienting
on one hand, it's ugly and awful and will probably be buggy
on the other, space travel IS pretty disorienting because there's pretty much nothing to orient you in space in real life, so it would make sense at least
Spoiler:
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #114219

topology is fascinating isn't it
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #114222

Turning the player is disorienting in a bad way. Also the idea is for people to not know exactly when they've changed z-levels.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #114225

MisterPerson wrote:Turning the player is disorienting in a bad way. Also the idea is for people to not know exactly when they've changed z-levels.
then it's not possible to fix the space cube
Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #114244

PKPenguin321 wrote:
MisterPerson wrote:Turning the player is disorienting in a bad way. Also the idea is for people to not know exactly when they've changed z-levels.
then it's not possible to fix the space cube
It's technically possible but only if we finish making client.dir not look like ass.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #114275

Also the transitions are kind of noticable since space tiles don't line up nicely. The tile on z1 y252 isn't the same as the tile on z4y4 that replaces it when you wrap around, basically.

CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #114276

Why not create a double hexagon then with 2 randomized axis? It doesn't make sense physically but its just fine for gameplay. If you go into one direction you will pass all 6 planes eventually.

2 random axis, one east/west the other north/south. The blue lines in the left picture is the south/north axis on the right mapped onto the east/west axis
Last edited by CPTANT on Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #114321

Gameplay over immersion man.

We've already had immersion breaking shit like coming to a dead stop while drifting in open space in some versions.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #114583

I support a completely static anything.

So tired of RNG determining what happens when I go into space, so many hijinx and plans ruined because the z_levels RNG wouldn't cooperate.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #114608

Oldman Robustin wrote:I support a completely static anything.

So tired of RNG determining what happens when I go into space, so many hijinx and plans ruined because the z_levels RNG wouldn't cooperate.
Yeah but it used to be even worse than that. Getting shot out the mass driver would put you somewhere new every time. During the same round.
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #114645

Space cube IS completely static though, it just shuffles up every time a round starts.

We haven't had true space RNG in at least a year.

Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #114771

space grid would probably be the least confusing solution, but for randomness we would have to add a number of new space z-levels or space exploration becomes REALLY easy.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #114813

I just want derelict cult bases back
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #114857

I want it to be confusing and complicated but ultimately surmountable. Grids are too easy.

MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #114886

Incoming wrote:I want it to be confusing and complicated but ultimately surmountable. Grids are too easy.
Literally impossible. It'll be solved within a week and put on the wiki. Then it just becomes another skill gap between new players and experienced players.

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #114918

cptants solution seems best
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #114939

going in one direction making you pass all planes eventually makes space exploration REALLY easy though.
really, adding a few more z-levels so we have 9 total or something and then just making a 3x3 space grid would probably be best.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
JackHunt
Byond Username: JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #114979

And loop then together as a space torus?
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #114989

At one point someone suggested 8 z levels in the form of a 3x3 grid slide puzzle and once I got done laughing at how ridiculous it was I thought it was a pretty fun idea.

Optimally we'd have a few geometries to choose from for each round.

Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #114990

I really don't get how a little possibly disorientation/rotation hand waved direction changing is less immersive than being trapped between two points.
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #114997

JackHunt wrote:And loop then together as a space torus?
yeah. its straightforward and probably not very hard to code. we'd just need some more space z-levels.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #115142

Miauw wrote:going in one direction making you pass all planes eventually makes space exploration REALLY easy though.
really, adding a few more z-levels so we have 9 total or something and then just making a 3x3 space grid would probably be best.
but then you'd have arbitrary walls in space, unless you cause it to loop, which would mean either easy space exploration or the spaceloop problem that the spacecube has
Spoiler:
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #115175

if you have 3 z-levels going in either direction you'll probably hit *something* eventually. we would certainly make the new z-levels not empty, so the problem would be reduced, even if its not solved completely.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #115315

if you shuffle the 3x3 grid at roundstart it should be okay
oneechan
Byond Username: MajorAppleSauce

Post by oneechan » #116375

Miauw wrote:
JackHunt wrote:And loop then together as a space torus?
yeah. its straightforward and probably not very hard to code. we'd just need some more space z-levels.
I like this idea too, you could even do it with just 6 z-levels:

N-S connections:

1N <=> 2 S
1S <=> 2 N

3N <=> 4 S
3S <=> 4 N

5N <=> 6 S
5S <=> 6 N

E-W connections:

1E <=> 3W
2E <=> 4W

3E <=> 5W
4E <=> 6W

5E <=> 1W
6E <=> 2W

You also can't explore space by drifting in one direction this way, unless that direction is diagonal (and off-center).