Gameplay Is Laggy To Hell

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Malkevin

Re: Gameplay Is Laggy To Hell

Post by Malkevin » #114576

Bottom post of the previous page:

Network lag, Server lag, and client lag are not mutually exclusive things.
Just because one thing is causing one of those things to lag does not mean there are other things causing the other things to lag too.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #114696

I think this is a useful discussion to have, so I asked for the thread to be unlocked. But can we please focus on noticed lag situations and not the moderation of the thread.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #114707

Inb4 locked or deleted by MSO for bitching about both atmos lag and network lag

The problems: Okay so MSO has explained the Server provider is having networking issues now that he can't resolve on his end. Yes that is fine get a new provider if there is nothing else we can do...

BUT

PROBLEM 2:
LAG FROM FASTMOS AND SINGULO ARE HORRIFIC

Remove the pulling the pipe and wiring out and just go back to singulo eating tiles and not ripping shit apart because the lag is horrific now there were times where singulo was loose and you didn't even know. Now if singulo is loose or atmos is causing massive plasma fires suddenly you know what just happened
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #114717

Bombadil wrote:Inb4 locked or deleted by MSO for bitching about both atmos lag and network lag

The problems: Okay so MSO has explained the Server provider is having networking issues now that he can't resolve on his end. Yes that is fine get a new provider if there is nothing else we can do...

BUT

PROBLEM 2:
LAG FROM FASTMOS AND SINGULO ARE HORRIFIC

Remove the pulling the pipe and wiring out and just go back to singulo eating tiles and not ripping shit apart because the lag is horrific now there were times where singulo was loose and you didn't even know. Now if singulo is loose or atmos is causing massive plasma fires suddenly you know what just happened
This. It causes a huge amount of lag, along with pipe/wire/etc. deletions. It'd go a long way to making the singulairty not one massive lag device.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #114720

Not moving the pipes/wires won't solve anything
it will still move over the pipes and wires, thus deleting them, and triggering powernet rebuilds.
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #114749

I did a little look around on other servers to see their lag/movement stutter status.

Baystation: Suffers from just as horrid movement lag and lag in general, not as big a deal considering the slower pace of the game but its still a problem.

Goonstation: Surprisingly the movement is smooth and the lag was not that bad, may get worse on higher populations but overall it was smooth.

Aliens Colonial Marines: Surprinsigly the game suffers from little lag and no movement lag at all, this is inpressive considering not only is the code used based on Baycode but the fact that the server seemed to have around 100 players on at the time.

Yogsation: I was there for only ten seconds yet the movement was very smooth and lag was not a huge issue.

Overall from what I can see of the major servers only Bay and /tg/ seem to have this lag problem. I would rank /tg/'s lag slightly higher than Bays.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #114757

Steelpoint wrote:I did a little look around on other servers to see their lag/movement stutter status.

Baystation: Suffers from just as horrid movement lag and lag in general, not as big a deal considering the slower pace of the game but its still a problem.

Goonstation: Surprisingly the movement is smooth and the lag was not that bad, may get worse on higher populations but overall it was smooth.

Aliens Colonial Marines: Surprinsigly the game suffers from little lag and no movement lag at all, this is inpressive considering not only is the code used based on Baycode but the fact that the server seemed to have around 100 players on at the time.

Yogsation: I was there for only ten seconds yet the movement was very smooth and lag was not a huge issue.

Overall from what I can see of the major servers only Bay and /tg/ seem to have this lag problem. I would rank /tg/'s lag slightly higher than Bays.
Goon seems to have interaction lag, Movement straight up isn't ever affected. You can zip around without any lag what so ever.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #114759

Goon runs at a higher frame rate and a higher tick rate
Remie Richards wrote:Not moving the pipes/wires won't solve anything
it will still move over the pipes and wires, thus deleting them, and triggering powernet rebuilds.
Is it not rebuilding when the pipes and wires are ripped off their anchors?

Because if it is then remember that the gravity field extends about twice, maybe even three times, the size of the event horizon
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #114772

A solution would be only rebuilding powernets at the start of a tick, so you get one rebuild per tick maximum.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #114782

Miauw wrote:A solution would be only rebuilding powernets at the start of a tick, so you get one rebuild per tick maximum.
scedule it right before the atmos calculations.

Do atmos calculations run every tick? If not you have to rebuild the network even less often.

Pipe destruction should just flag the system for a rebuild.

Not a tg code expert but shouldn't changing the network rebuild script to run right before atmos processing be relatively easy?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #114783

powernets and pipenets are different things.

and yeah, it's probably not very difficult.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #114785

Miauw wrote:powernets and pipenets are different things.

and yeah, it's probably not very difficult.
Eeuh its a problem for both I guess. was thinking of pipenets. But powernets can also just be only rebuild right before the power calculations.

I have a feeling this would will make quite a difference to the cpu spikes experienced during loose sings.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #114814

Well we could reduce singulos movement speed too to lower it.

or

Reduce the range it pulls things apart

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #114816

Imo I think we should be focusing more on the problem that plagues the game 99% of the time.

While the singularity is a big source of lag, that only occurs if it gets loose. Movement lag and other general lag occur irrespective of the singularity's existence.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #114820

Steelpoint wrote:Imo I think we should be focusing more on the problem that plagues the game 99% of the time.

While the singularity is a big source of lag, that only occurs if it gets loose. Movement lag and other general lag occur irrespective of the singularity's existence.
exactly.

So, do you want to know what causes the movement lag and a good chunk of most of the general lag?

Take a guess, I've mentioned it quite a few times.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #114835

Yeah just the last round, spiders all over the goddamn place but no singulo and no plasma flooding. Same intermittent stuttering and freezing. Strangely lighting broke too for short periods of time.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #114863

Saegrimr wrote:Yeah just the last round, spiders all over the goddamn place but no singulo and no plasma flooding. Same intermittent stuttering and freezing. Strangely lighting broke too for short periods of time.
That actually happens when spiders are given enough time to breed. I think its the massive amount of spider mobs made

Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #114864

Bombadil wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:Yeah just the last round, spiders all over the goddamn place but no singulo and no plasma flooding. Same intermittent stuttering and freezing. Strangely lighting broke too for short periods of time.
That actually happens when spiders are given enough time to breed. I think its the massive amount of spider mobs made

Oh yeah definitely, if nurse spiders get to breeding, for every single corpse on the entire station, that's 5 spiderlings, who then grow into giant spiders. Lag city, also spiders are hilarious.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #114874

PR up to try and stop the powernet from lagging by removing constant reconstruction thank the based phil
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #115379

Well I'm happy to report that actual in game movement feels far more smoother now.

The game is still stuttering along don't get me wrong, but now the movement is not actually stuttering.
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #115402

the jerky movement has been a thing since sanic was removed
have you even played the game in the last three years, steelpoint?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #115406

I'm comparing our movement speed with the identical/similar movement speed off of other servers, of which our movement and overall jerkyness is more unique to us than any other server.

The reason it's suddenly noticeable to me is because I've been playing a lot on another server, thus when I log onto /tg/ I easily notice the difference, unlike most people who don't realise since they are used to the current movement.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #115415

Well tg runs at a lower framerate than some other servers, so that's what you may be noticing.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #115447

Scott wrote:Well tg runs at a lower framerate than some other servers, so that's what you may be noticing.
Perhaps its just that. Why do we run at a lower frame rate anyway?
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #115448

Steelpoint wrote:
Scott wrote:Well tg runs at a lower framerate than some other servers, so that's what you may be noticing.
Perhaps its just that. Why do we run at a lower frame rate anyway?
We don't.
We run at the original frame rate most of the game's systems were tied to.
other servers either correctly unhooked those systems from the FPS, and then upped the FPS
or they willy nilly upped it without fixing anything.
私は完璧
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #115618

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/11159

This PR fixes the only thing still hooking us to the fps.

Once it is merged I plan to start testing out higher fpses. but higher fps means more network traffic, so we might not see me raise that up much until after the server move to newyork
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #115625

It was just merged so yay.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #115650

It doesn't seem to be working though

Also I like the old FPS, I'm too used to the cinematic experience
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #115651

I would really appreciate the higher fps.

Im not familiar with BYONDs internals, yet Im curious as to how higher FPS increases network traffic?
Mime: Depresso
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #115681

I don't get why people want the higher fps, it -really- doesn't work for SS13, it just looks and feels *bad*
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #115764

>really doesn't work for SS13

It does work very well for the servers that get it to work. /tg/station is one of the most popular servers that exists, there's no reason to be content at us remaining with subpar performance when we could have better and less jittery movement.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #115807

I have never seen a server pull off higher FPS well. Either it jitters and shakes, or it's so unbearably smooth that it looks like the game world is sliding under your feet instead of your character actually moving.

Also why in the world are people deving resource intensive features when we're kind of having a crisis about resources?
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #115810

Movement feels and looks like shit now.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #115820

Steelpoint wrote:>really doesn't work for SS13

It does work very well for the servers that get it to work. /tg/station is one of the most popular servers that exists, there's no reason to be content at us remaining with subpar performance when we could have better and less jittery movement.
I've not visited another server in a long time
all I have to go off of are my own/MSO/other people's adjusting of the FPS var on our servers, and it REALLY just does -not- work.
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #115829

I don't claim to know how any of this stuff works, but from what I can see, feel and interact with on this server and other servers is that somehow other servers are able to get the game to move smoothly outside of horrible lag spikes (which all SS13 servers eventually get).
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #116367

Mso was dicking with the settings on basil the other day and it really just looked like shit
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #117328

The human eye can't see higher than 11 FPS anyway...
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #117381

hey thats my line
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #120043

Consistent horrible lag is still persistent I thought you upgraded to a different host MSO? ITS WORSE.

In this case I think it's the code going to shit hasn't been a good freeze in a while