ROBOT TERMITES (Swarmers)

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Fonedsky
Byond Username: FonedSky

ROBOT TERMITES (Swarmers)

Post by Fonedsky » #115378

so just now we had a round where admins spawned swarmers and we forced the shuttle call
as swarmers start to pop up in more rounds this will be the thread where you can talk about them. :bball:
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Re: ROBOT THERMITES (Swarmers)

Post by Gun Hog » #115407

I played as one! You are very weak, but have a decent defense ability in the barriers, traps, and teleports. You come equipped with a slow-firing disabler, as well. Keep in mind that the disabler works through the barrier, whereas enemy projectiles do not pass through it. You are similar to a Replicator from Stargate. You can deconstruct computers and many machines, eat windows, walls, and even R-walls. In the beginning, you must hide and avoid humans at all costs, lest they smack you and end your round. But, if you survive to replicate, you can soon build a team, and through that, become able to deny the humans access to an area while you consume its contents.

Although you are an antagonist, your laws and abilities forbid you altering the atmos or power systems, making it difficult to actually kill people. The crew, on the first trial, referred to them as "ROBOT TERMITES", which is very accurate. Left unchecked, the damage they can cause is extreme. The sections they infect will quickly look like a patched explosion area. As an antagonist, they are as frightening as Syndrones, as they can cripple entire departments in a matter of minutes.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #115411

Forbidding them from atmos? Seriously? Plasma floods can barely hold ground now they burn and cool so much faster with fastmos it is pathetic and people are just running across the scorched ground after a few minutes.

It being not allowed to touch power due to singulo stealing all the food makes sense though IC for them.
jaxy15
Byond Username: Jaxy15

Post by jaxy15 » #115429

Swarmers aren't supposed to actually harm people, anyway. Just disable them.
Ergovisavi
Byond Username: Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #115442

Incomptinence wrote:Forbidding them from atmos? Seriously? Plasma floods can barely hold ground now they burn and cool so much faster with fastmos it is pathetic and people are just running across the scorched ground after a few minutes.

It being not allowed to touch power due to singulo stealing all the food makes sense though IC for them.
Part of the reason for this is that plasma flooding makes them less interesting as an antagonist. The threat from fighting them should be their sheer numbers and reproduction, not simply lol I sit in fire haha fuck you. The nonlethality is more novel at this point.

IC wise the reason you aren't supposed to kill is because after successfully sabotaging most of the station, an invasion force was to arrive to subjugate and enslave any biologicals...which is why when you attempt to eat the Gateway, you're notified that it will be "important later", but their masters are long dead, so their established beachhead goes unused. They don't know that though, so they just go around space eating and eating without stopping.

For the record their laws are entirely fluff and are only an indication on the intended playstyle for the mob type. I do not expect Admins to police swarmers, other than applying the same server rules everyone else gets. If someone finds a way to murder as them, that is a design issue and I will rectify it.
Incomptinence

Re: ROBOT TERMITES (Swarmers)

Post by Incomptinence » #115455

Less I want them to just set people on fire just the engineering department including atmos is enormous and not eating it is silly. If it is just a flavour guideline sure okay.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #115461

I had the opportunity to play around as a Swarmer.

If left to operate without interference they can really strip a department down to the bones. Early spawning Swarmer's tend to stick to maintenance and other out of the way areas to build up resources and other Swarmers before moving to bigger targets.

I think its tedious having to pick up each individual sheet from a stack of resources, it would be nice if we could pick them up in bulk or even just the entire stack.

The buildings the swarmer can place provide temporary defence which suits them well.

I did notice a bug where swarmers communicating on the swarm channel will use your name. This can lead to odd scenarios where as a ghost you see yourself talking on the swarm channel
Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #115464

Steelpoint wrote:I think its tedious having to pick up each individual sheet from a stack of resources, it would be nice if we could pick them up in bulk or even just the entire stack.
There's a distinct reason for this; To slow swarmers down, and to enable them to be caught. If you could instantly swoop in from out of nowhere and eat a stack of 50 metal to replicate, it would be just absurd. I originally had it like this locally and it was just too much. By slowing down their "eating" rate, a much more interesting scenario is created, although yes it is a little tedious.

Perhaps I should add a "You got a coin!" sound byte when you turn something to resources. Might break up the tedium. Works for Mario.
Steelpoint wrote:I did notice a bug where swarmers communicating on the swarm channel will use your name. This can lead to odd scenarios where as a ghost you see yourself talking on the swarm channel
This is a known issue and I will fix it within the day.

Appreciate the feedback, guys.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #115466

The replicating thing could be refined. Maybe pull players from ghost pool with a prompt or send a message with link in deadchat like for posibrains
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #115467

I do agree there should be a more effective way of pulling ghosts into a new swarmer shell, right now you have to essentially hope a swarmer conveniently says on the comms that he made a shell in a room.
Fonedsky

Post by Fonedsky » #115469

Swarmers should not be able to eat telecomms whole. The round where we played as swarmers, we consumed the *entirety* of telecomms and left the crew unable to communicate. It's a little thing, yes, but still might bork things up pretty hard.
Braincake
Byond Username: Braincake

Post by Braincake » #115476

A swarmer said there was a shell in the Bridge, so I (and probably some other ghosts) double-clicked it. Server hanged for about 20 seconds (OOC: LAG?), then someone actually got inside.

Later, another swamer reported a shell in Tool Storage, so I (and probably some other ghosts) double-clicked it. Server hanged for about 20 seconds, then I got two questions about becoming a swarmer. Pressed Yes to both, then I got a nice full black screen with the Swarmer buttons, which didn't go away even after a relog.

Fun idea, but could really have used some testing with, I'unno, more than one person, looks like.
Fonedsky

Post by Fonedsky » #115479

Braincake wrote:A swarmer said there was a shell in the Bridge, so I (and probably some other ghosts) double-clicked it. Server hanged for about 20 seconds (OOC: LAG?), then someone actually got inside.

Later, another swamer reported a shell in Tool Storage, so I (and probably some other ghosts) double-clicked it. Server hanged for about 20 seconds, then I got two questions about becoming a swarmer. Pressed Yes to both, then I got a nice full black screen with the Swarmer buttons, which didn't go away even after a relog.

Fun idea, but could really have used some testing with, I'unno, more than one person, looks like.
I had the same problem in the first swarmer test round. Ghost to get out of the black screen.
Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #115508

Fonedsky wrote:
Braincake wrote:A swarmer said there was a shell in the Bridge, so I (and probably some other ghosts) double-clicked it. Server hanged for about 20 seconds (OOC: LAG?), then someone actually got inside.

I had the same problem in the first swarmer test round. Ghost to get out of the black screen.
I'm fairly certain that it's simply the garbage collection check failing when it shouldn't. In the event this happens until I get it fixed, adminhelp, and they should be able to retrieve you from nullspace.
Fonedsky wrote:Swarmers should not be able to eat telecomms whole. The round where we played as swarmers, we consumed the *entirety* of telecomms and left the crew unable to communicate. It's a little thing, yes, but still might bork things up pretty hard.
This is one of those "Maybe, maybe not" things that it was hard to make a call on. I left them able to eat telecomms just to see how things would play out. At the moment I'm leaning towards removing their ability to do this, but I'm taking a hands off approach on swarmers for a small period of time until people learn about their mechanics, and I'll make another call then.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #115545

If a blob can do it why shouldn't they?

Personally I think tcoms was a mistake and not worth having anyway.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #115589

Being a swarmer while being hunted down by the crew and desperately trying to juke them out is intense as fuck, and is really unique compared to normal gameplay, I really like them
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Marflow
Byond Username: Marflow

Post by Marflow » #115590

Their laws could be more clear and I personally hate the RNG when breaking certain stuff like Rwalls. Otherwise pretty solid stuff.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #115591

The AI seems to be able to simply camera-list the swarmers. Honestly, that feature has always been a little ridiculous.
Mime: Depresso
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #115643

Aside from a few bugs, I agree with Shaps, running from the hordes of buckshot combat shotguns is fun as fuck, and these should be an event to give otherwise boring rounds a bit of stuff to do not only as a ghost but as a crewmember.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #115824

Swarmers kill ripleys in like three hits... bit much no?
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #115852

Actionb wrote:Swarmers kill ripleys in like three hits... bit much no?
I think they can deconstruct them as "machines".
I play Boris Pepper.
Danowar
Byond Username: Danowar

Post by Danowar » #115855

the only bit I don't like about these fuckers is the warpcuff ability. The past couple of rounds have had a lot of people getting marooned because one of these things gets on the shuttle and just warps people out mid-transit. Hell, in the last round I played, not one person escaped on the shuttle due to a mob of swarmers taking complete control of it. They're like magic xenos on crack.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #115886

Danowar wrote:the only bit I don't like about these fuckers is the warpcuff ability. The past couple of rounds have had a lot of people getting marooned because one of these things gets on the shuttle and just warps people out mid-transit. Hell, in the last round I played, not one person escaped on the shuttle due to a mob of swarmers taking complete control of it. They're like magic xenos on crack.
if the swarmers are left unchecked and get in large enough groups to be able to literally "swarm" the station, then I would say that that is intentional and that they've won
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #115966

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Danowar wrote:the only bit I don't like about these fuckers is the warpcuff ability. The past couple of rounds have had a lot of people getting marooned because one of these things gets on the shuttle and just warps people out mid-transit. Hell, in the last round I played, not one person escaped on the shuttle due to a mob of swarmers taking complete control of it. They're like magic xenos on crack.
if the swarmers are left unchecked and get in large enough groups to be able to literally "swarm" the station, then I would say that that is intentional and that they've won
We were in maint, went from 1 swarmer after they killed the rest, everyone was busy fighting the gangs, we just nommed all of cargo's stuff, then swarmed the shuttle with waves of disablers and teleporting. There were only about ten of us during the shuttle fight, too.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #115999

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
We were in maint, went from 1 swarmer after they killed the rest, everyone was busy fighting the gangs, we just nommed all of cargo's stuff, then swarmed the shuttle with waves of disablers and teleporting. There were only about ten of us during the shuttle fight, too.
The shuttle is an odd situation. On the one hand, yes, swarmers in a large enough mob can rush the shuttle, assuming that the crew on the shuttle are not well armed, or they spam disablers through the windows. They can still be repelled, but if they're forming up, it's pretty hard (10 is a lot of people!).

On the other hand welding the airlocks into the shuttle shut will 100% block any swarmers from attempting to board it, and there's literally nothing they can do about it no matter how high their numbers are, because they can't break windows to get into the shuttle.
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #116000

Swarmer sprite is ugly.
They need to not warpcuff people into space.
They need to be able to eat doors.
I play Boris Pepper.
Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #116001

They can't warpcuff people into space. It's explicitly disallowed.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #116021

If we are going for full-on Replicator ripoffs, then Swarmers need some kind of builder-type and tank-type. The builder would assimilate the station and build new structures that are incredibly advanced, like shield generators or cool looking walls/floors/doors. The tanks would just have more health and a lower CD on the disabler, i guess? Maybe some kind of laser-absorbing armor.

Still keep them as non-lethal as possible though. I think thats a neat spin on the antag.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #116042

Bluespace wrote:Swarmer sprite is ugly.
i disagree
Bluespace wrote:They need to be able to eat doors.
i agree
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
PickleInspector
Byond Username: PickleInspector

Post by PickleInspector » #116073

Extremely dull to play until you're able to pick up more than one resource at a time.
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #116089

PickleInspector wrote:Extremely dull to play until you're able to pick up more than one resource at a time.
Really? I find the constant threat of being found exhilarating.
Try heading into populated areas and hitting high usage machines for more of a thrill.

More feedback: allow swarmed to eat floor tiles so even the floor is stripped.
I play Boris Pepper.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #116094

Swarmers do need to be able to eat doors down, maybe make it take a while if we're concerned about balance
Xhagi
Byond Username: Aliannera

Post by Xhagi » #116143

Really fun to play as, charging down the hall to the emergency shuttle as a pack with three of your bros ready to swarm and consume. Are asked for quite a bit.

That said they do have a few issues. Once myself and one other player one round ended up in null space for some reason. Eating Tcomms seems a bit much for a 'minor' antag and I think some people found a spot or two they could cause hull breaches. One I was told about was somewhere in engineering maint. And they should be able to eat doors, though I mean they couls just eat the walls to get around still. But other than that I have not noticed anything and they lead to a lot of fun times.
Professional Catgirl and Gayboy Supreme.
Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #116149

Thus far what I'm expecting to do is:

1. Remove swarmer's ability to destroy telecomms machines
Reasoning: It's effectively impossible to keep swarmers out of it, and stops the crew from rallying against the swarmers too effectively. It's also a significant system for round progression and I think that leaving whether it exists or not to current antagonists in the round is a more interesting situation than if swarmers are effectively guaranteed to take down communications.

2. Remove swarmer's ability to pass through mobs, BUT retain it for passing through other swarmers
Reasoning: Swarmers are already quite capable of juking opponents with decent speed, and the ability to fire disablers behind them to persuade pursuers to go away. Their ability to walk through humans on harm intent was a bit much. That said, I do not want swarmers bumping into each other, which would cause them to screw up mob teleports, dismantling machines etc, so I will keep them walking through each other.

3. [MAYBE] Add a (2 second?) delay to creating a barrier, but leave traps instant.
Reasoning: Barriers are a very effective tool, but I'm seeing them used significantly more as a reactionary tool than a precautionary one. A barrier not only acts a area denial, it effectively increases the HP of a swarmer. In most instances, dropping down a barrier is more effective than using a trap, as both are instant, but the barrier gives you significantly more options. By adding a slight delay to the creation of barriers, they will need to be placed beforehand instead of them being a guaranteed getaway in most circumstances.

4. [MAYBE] Have borgs affected by traps.
Reasoning: I like that borgs scare swarmers and cause them to scatter. I don't like that they can do literally nothing against them, having some small measure that they can use against them should make things more interesting. They're still immune to disablers and melees from Swarmers, of course.

Other notes:
* Not sure why destroying airlocks is so requested, but I will consider it strongly. I simply think it's more interesting that they go through walls.
* Need to fix an issue where hostile mob ranged attacks can't be used to "fly" in space.
* Need to fix an issue where they can cause hull breaches in select spaces on the station
* Need to change the spark effect to one that won't cause a plasma fire
* Need to make a stupid wiki entry for Swarmers
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #116154

Ergovisavi wrote:Thus far what I'm expecting to do is:

1. Remove swarmer's ability to destroy telecomms machines
Reasoning: It's effectively impossible to keep swarmers out of it, and stops the crew from rallying against the swarmers too effectively. It's also a significant system for round progression and I think that leaving whether it exists or not to current antagonists in the round is a more interesting situation than if swarmers are effectively guaranteed to take down communications.

2. Remove swarmer's ability to pass through mobs, BUT retain it for passing through other swarmers
Reasoning: Swarmers are already quite capable of juking opponents with decent speed, and the ability to fire disablers behind them to persuade pursuers to go away. Their ability to walk through humans on harm intent was a bit much. That said, I do not want swarmers bumping into each other, which would cause them to screw up mob teleports, dismantling machines etc, so I will keep them walking through each other.

3. [MAYBE] Add a (2 second?) delay to creating a barrier, but leave traps instant.
Reasoning: Barriers are a very effective tool, but I'm seeing them used significantly more as a reactionary tool than a precautionary one. A barrier not only acts a area denial, it effectively increases the HP of a swarmer. In most instances, dropping down a barrier is more effective than using a trap, as both are instant, but the barrier gives you significantly more options. By adding a slight delay to the creation of barriers, they will need to be placed beforehand instead of them being a guaranteed getaway in most circumstances.

4. [MAYBE] Have borgs affected by traps.
Reasoning: I like that borgs scare swarmers and cause them to scatter. I don't like that they can do literally nothing against them, having some small measure that they can use against them should make things more interesting. They're still immune to disablers and melees from Swarmers, of course.

Other notes:
* Not sure why destroying airlocks is so requested, but I will consider it strongly. I simply think it's more interesting that they go through walls.
* Need to fix an issue where hostile mob ranged attacks can't be used to "fly" in space.
* Need to fix an issue where they can cause hull breaches in select spaces on the station
* Need to change the spark effect to one that won't cause a plasma fire
* Need to make a stupid wiki entry for Swarmers
good game mode and good work, keep it up :honk:
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #116164

You should add a chance for a swarmer shell to spawn on the Asteroid/one of the space wrecks at roundstart. Even if its just a really damn low chance. Otherwise this fun little antag is going to become like the Chrono Legionnaire and end up never being used.

Could you not just blacklist a few of the telecomm machines? Like the hard to build ones? Im not really sure how Tcomms works, but surely there are a few machines that are easy to rebuild yet disable the network when destroyed? If not then yeah, just blacklist all the Tcomm machines.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #116166

Difference is that the Chrono Legionnaire requires a admin to spawn all the tools into the game manually, and its controversial in that its '60 seconds to erase you from the game' gun gets on some admins nerves in a bad way.
Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #116253

Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #116257

I added them to the job page too.
Because for some reason we keep antags there too?
私は完璧
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #116297

They shouldn't be able to eat tiles that have been gang tagged.

Kinda fucked over every single gang in a round.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #116318

So would a singulo shit happens at least gang can potentially build up points with clothing.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #116320

Incomptinence wrote:So would a singulo shit happens at least gang can potentially build up points with clothing.
Yeah but that requires gangs to actually go do something about it, This one swarmer just went around only targetting gang signs lol.
sirnat
Byond Username: Sirnat

Post by sirnat » #117130

Big big big suggestion:

Ways to stun borgs
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #117131

Remie Richards wrote:I added them to the job page too.
Because for some reason we keep antags there too?
Griffing the station is a full time job
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #117132

sirnat wrote:Big big big suggestion:

Ways to stun borgs
Nah, a cyborg should be a swarmer's weakness.
They're all ACQUIRE MATERIALS DISREGARD ORGANICS, they need something that can get in there and start going ham on them like they're annoying robotics ants.
For every swarmer that dies, a new one takes it's place anyway.
I play Boris Pepper.
sirnat
Byond Username: Sirnat

Post by sirnat » #117134

Borgs are made of metal though, why cant we do damage to them? We can atleast stun biological human beings ;-;
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #117138

Let swarmers bite borgs to try and deconstruct them. Overconfident borgs should get piranha'd.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #117140

>Hit borg enough, turns into endoskeleton and MMI pops out
Do it.
Danowar
Byond Username: Danowar

Post by Danowar » #117182

That one round yesterday where the swarmers were fighting the test site blob was amazing. That needs to be a legit round mode.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #117210

Takeguru wrote:>Hit borg enough, turns into endoskeleton and MMI pops out
Do it.

Swarmers can still teleport borgs if they ctrl click, and also blob spores and other simple mobs. Really the thing with dealing with these is to just facetank them until they get warped away while your brothers box them in with traps/barricades.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS