Should robotics/R&D machinery be all-access?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Should the protolathe/exofab be all-access (Currently they are)

Protolathe should be all-access only
No votes
Exofab should be all-access only
No votes
Protolathe should be all-access but should be behind ID-locked doors again. Exofab should stay all-access.
22%
Protolathe and Exofab should be all-access (Current)
67%
Protolathe and Exofab should require departmental access only
11%
Protolathe and Exofab should require their specific lab accesses.
No votes
Abstain
No votes

Total votes: 18

Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Should robotics/R&D machinery be all-access?

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #118900

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/issues/11720

While this issue was closed for being Feedback Forum material, Fox rarely actually makes the threads, and I felt this warranted discussion.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Re: Should robotics/R&D machinery be all-access?

Post by whodaloo » #118925

Holy shit no science is already a bastion of faggots who refuse to hand out useful gear to other departments despite it literally being their job. The last thing we need is an ID lock so some poor engineer has to murder a scientist just to get an upgraded welding tool.
Last edited by whodaloo on Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #118927

No ID lock = amazing.
No longer do I cry as a Roboticist when no scientists do RnD.
I play Boris Pepper.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #118929

If it were my PR, I would re-add the Science airlocks, and put them department level access. Exosuit fabricators could stand to be put at department level access as well. Although the access removals have caused a small amount of friction between roboticists and scientists when they try to step over each other, their ability to cooperate and cover for each other has greatly increased. A robo can handle research if no one else is, and a scientist can fill in for roboticists by building their own fabricator, should no one be manning that lab.

The detriment to access restriction loss is that anyone can break in and take/build anything they desire, making it hard to keep the clown from creating a singulo. I think departmental level access can work just fine without damaging the relationship between scientists and robos.

Note that the protolathe, circuit imprinter, and destructive analyzer all once shared access restrictions of the console linked to them.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #118930

Put up some doors that are tied to RnD access.
You know, the same access used to get through the double airlock into RnD

The machines themselves should be all access
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #118935

What Takeguru said.

Also its a little unfair that robotics gets a free walk-in to R&D but scientists have to bust some windows down.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #118936

whodaloo wrote:Holy shit yes science is already a bastion of faggots who refuse to hand out useful gear to other departments despite it literally being their job. The last thing we need is an ID lock so some poor engineer has to murder a scientist just to get an upgraded welding tool.
This pretty much sums it up for me too. Scientists love to hoard gear, much more than cargo or other departments.

All access also makes it way easier for the roboticists to get on with their job if scientists don't want to help.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #118966

Originally, I was going to write a post about no ID doors gating RnD being the best thing since sliced bread, because it allows me to do the research as a roboticist (or a clown), but then I've remembered all those times, when I had to deconstruct robotics windows as a scientist, so I can get my mech syringe guns.

And then I've had a thought - is there any reason at all why roboticist and scientist are different jobs with different access? I mean, we don't have a xenobiologist job or a researcher job - it's all covered by scientists. We do have geneticists, but they're in this weird spot, when they're really more of medbay personnel than science. So, again, why roboticists get this arbitrary divide?
Last edited by InsaneHyena on Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bring back papercult.

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #118967

InsaneHyena wrote:Originally, I was going to write a post about no ID doors gating RnD being the best thing since sliced bread, because it allows me to do the research, but then I've remembered all those times, when I had to deconstruct robotics windows as a scientist, so I can get my mech syringe guns.

And then I've had a thought - is there any reason at all why roboticist and scientist are different jobs with different access? I mean, we don't have a xenobiologist job or a researcher job - it's all covered by scientists. We do have geneticists, but they're in this weird spot, when they're really more of medbay personnel than science. So, again, why roboticists get this arbitrary divide?
Well Science is already the department that got all its roles merged. Compare it with medbay that still has the chemist, doctor, virologist and geneticist(?) all with their tiny niche jobs.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
sirnat
Byond Username: Sirnat

Post by sirnat » #118969

Here's simple solution:

Scientists build their own airlocks to R&D, by setting the airlock control to science access.

Make them actually have to do something, because I've had rounds where the scientists were nazis over shit especially discovering toys.

Experimentor is never used in science, can we just put it somewhere else and re-add telesci?
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #118970

sirnat wrote:Here's simple solution:

Scientists build their own airlocks to R&D, by setting the airlock control to science access.

Make them actually have to do something, because I've had rounds where the scientists were nazis over shit especially discovering toys.

Experimentor is never used in science, can we just put it somewhere else and re-add telesci?
You can't set airlock access without an ID with engineering access.
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
sirnat
Byond Username: Sirnat

Post by sirnat » #118972

Get RD to get engineer access from HOP?
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #118975

sirnat wrote:Get RD to get engineer access from HOP?
That is not a feasible solution every round. It should just be default department access.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #118994

Manual lock is already a feature for the RnD consoles, so why not import it to the exofab too?

That way, its down to scientists and roboticists being diligent and exercising best practice to keep the mime from obtaining bags of holding and mechs of murder.
Mime: Depresso
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #118996

invisty wrote:Manual lock is already a feature for the RnD consoles, so why not import it to the exofab too?

That way, its down to scientists and roboticists being diligent and exercising best practice to keep the mime from obtaining bags of holding and mechs of murder.
fuck no, people taking the effort to break into places should be encouraged, not made pointless by hugbox id checks.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #119007

console locking is literally the most pointless thing in the entire game.

You can get around it with a fucking screwdriver.

Give R&D back their airlocks, like every other job in the entire game.

The machines themselves don't need to be ID locked, or if they are, should atleast be hackable like a vendor.