Vampires & Vampirism

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Vampires & Vampirism

Post by Xhuis » #120592

Very WIP as of now, I'll list what I have in mind below.
https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/11951
  • Vampires are a mini-antag spawned through various actions (i.e. events, drinking a goblet of Lilith's blood...)
  • They are immortal to normal means, and are physically incapable of death to most objects
  • Their prime weakness is the sun, which will rapidly kill them
  • Holy things also hurt them, and they will be severely weakened in consecrated areas
  • The objective of vampires is to steal a large amount of blood from the crew
  • Blood extraction can be done on non-braindead, player-controlled humans
  • While extracting blood, the human is paralyzed and will not remember anything about the extraction
  • Players that are unconscious when the extracting begins will remain unconscious until after it has ended
  • Players who have had their blood drained will have an examine text of two small punctures on their neck, though this will quickly fade
  • To extract blood, a vampire clicks on a human while targeting the head, on harm intent, with an empty hand
  • Extraction takes a few seconds to begin, during which the target can escape
  • Draining blood will never drain enough to be fatal
  • Health analyzers bug out when used on a vampire, giving a method of detection against them
  • Vampires can select a coffin and use it as their home - while lying in this coffin, they will rapidly regenerate life but will be asleep until their health is fully restored
  • Upon death, vampires drop all their items and turn to dust; they will respawn in their coffin
  • Sprinkling garlic salt onto a coffin will 'unmark' it and make it unsuitable for use as a home
  • Botany has a new crop, Garlic
  • Garlic is just food to normal humans, but to vampires, will cause a little burn damage in small amounts, and set them on fire in high amounts
  • Garlic can be ground up to create garlic salt, which can be used as food seasoning and sprinkled onto certain objects
They will also have a lot of different abilities, and these will be added and refined as development progresses.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Re: Vampires & Vampirism

Post by Deitus » #120624

a few potential problems:
1) what is the plan for vampires access/viability for medical blood sacs?
2) what is the alternative for dealing with vampires permanently if botany is unstaffed/unwilling to make garlic? spacing the coffin might work but they could potentially drag the coffin behind them while spacewalking, sleeping in it in intervals to remain healed
3) perhaps make vampires anonymous in some way when the attack. just today i fucked up during a sling round where i got glared and didnt see the text about forgetting, letting everyone know that the sling was an antag. even if they stayed ic and didnt rat them you cant expect them to not act differently around them when they see them in the future.
4) how does the garlic get "sprinkleable?" put it in a blender or use a knife or what?
5) stealing blood is fine for an objective but perhaps there is also an infection game mode in some way, whether that be just all become vampires (would require nerfing) or a sling-type thrall system. just the blood alone seems a bit dull to me for something as awesome as vampires, though that's just me
6) what qualifies as "the sun?" light sources i assume or just being close to windows that face space? how quickly does this damage them?
7) perhaps make the chaplain able to consecrate different areas in the station with some sort of rune, put the crayons to good use for once

despite all these points i am very much in favor for the implementation of this mode, sounds like it could be awesome with some good tweaking
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #120625

If this is like Goon light sources mean anywhere outside the station.

Meaning if a Vampire leaves the station, even in a space suit, they will die very rapidly.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #120630

Allow blood to be taken from braindeads so we don't have retarded shit like exiting the game to seek red text going on.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #120640

Incomptinence wrote:Allow blood to be taken from braindeads so we don't have retarded shit like exiting the game to seek red text going on.
If they're willing to log out for a few minutes to deny an antag an objective that doesn't even kill them, they can take a week off from the server too.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #120646

Also thematically vampires tend to hunt sleeping people at night anyway. Brain deads are perfectly thematic to be preyed upon.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #120659

How do I kill it permanently? If I kill it in the coffin, will it respawn in the coffin? Do I just need to space it? Do I have to get garlic to the coffin, drag them out of it, and then unmark the coffin then kill them?

Speaking of which, what about wooden stakes? Or even metal ones? Traditionally you can use these to kill one.

Additionally, silver. Vampires. Supposedly weak to it. Something you're hoping to implement? A horrible reaction if you can inject it or smack them with it?
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #120719

Bleh!
私は完璧
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #120720

Inevitable:

[youtube]7PdbWiNv1V4[/youtube]
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #120724

I'd much rather they not respawn, I don't recall any vampire story in which they come back from the dead but rather be put in a situation where the protagonist thinks they're dead and they escape [because Vampires are super smart and stuff yeee], usually ending with the protagonist dying to the Vampire he/she thought they killed. Maybe give them ability that looks like their death animation but actually is a shadow walk [long CD balance]? No Twilight vampires either please.

Chaplains should also be able to craft Silver Pendants [with silver ofc] and a bible as the "catalyst" that acts similarly to the null rod in cult [but for vampires]. Heck, it COULD be used for cult too but it would need something to make it a pain to churn out.

If you don't create ghetto crossbows used to launch wooden stakes from Botany also then we're doing something wrong. tbh I kinda hope it slippery slopes to lycanthropy [Finally, a PR for SoS :^)].

Vampires should NOT be detectable if they drink enough blood. A hungrier vampire should have more visible signs of Vampirism, from "deathly white" skin to giveaway examines. A Medical Analyzer, something that's widely available, should not be used as a Vampire Traitor-Tester. If you want to be memey with it, when they get completely hungry make their text reflect a stereotypical Transylvanian vampire.
perhaps make the chaplain able to consecrate different areas in the station with some sort of rune, put the crayons to good use for once
This can be done with Fire Extinguisher + Blessed Water tank. It denies Wizards AND WRAITHS from Jaunting through that tile.

Also...
LESSER FORM = BAT LESSER FORM = BAT LESSER FORM = BAT
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #120725

Incomptinence wrote:Also thematically vampires tend to hunt sleeping people at night anyway. Brain deads are perfectly thematic to be preyed upon.
Would it be possible to work some kind of day and night cycle into this? Like I dunno, every other 30 minutes of station time the station would pass behind a planet or some shit it's orbiting, blocking out the sun and giving the vampire a buff to its powers?
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #120726

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:I'd much rather they not respawn, I don't recall any vampire story in which they come back from the dead...
But Count Duckula though...
私は完璧
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #120731

I like it.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #120733

Remie Richards wrote:
ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:I'd much rather they not respawn, I don't recall any vampire story in which they come back from the dead...
WTF is this

NVM this sounds pretty cool, the first person who is stolen blood becomes side-side antag with the objective to revive their master if he dies and assist him when needed.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #120736

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:
WTF is this
Old British cartoon.
Transylvanian Duck Vampire Count Duckula is being resurrected by his servants but instead of blood in the recipe they mess up and put ketchup in instead.
this still resurrects him, but he's now a vegetarian vampire duck.

[youtube]g9ZVWMPuZ2c[/youtube]
私は完璧
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #120737

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:LESSER FORM = BAT LESSER FORM = BAT LESSER FORM = BAT
This is the only reason to add vampires tbh.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #120739

Remie Richards wrote:
ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:
WTF is this
Old British cartoon.
Transylvanian Duck Vampire Count Duckula is being resurrected by his servants but instead of blood in the recipe they mess up and put ketchup in instead.
this still resurrects him, but he's now a vegetarian vampire duck.

[youtube]g9ZVWMPuZ2c[/youtube]
I'm not sure who's showing their age more, you or I :^)

>TFW when botching up a sacred ritual only performed once a century turns the vampire into a vegetarian, but I mess up the Lord :singulo: once and the entire station is fucked.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #120740

Well, Count duckula is before my time rofl, by quite a few years, haha.
but you know how it is, everything's a repeat.
私は完璧
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #120791

I'll address some concerns here.

How can vampires be permanently killed?
There are a few ways to kill a vampire without them being able to be revived:
  • Kill them while they have no blood in their body. This makes their immortality null and void and if they die, they will not revive.
  • If they die from sunlight, they will catch on fire and burn to ash if left unattended for several minutes.
  • You can create a wooden stake by adding a clove of garlic to a board. Drive this into a vampire's heart while they sleep in their coffin and they will die permanently.
  • Vampires may end up killing themselves. Blood found in blood packs, monkeys, or braindead humans is counted as 'dirty', and if they have too much dirty blood in their system they will begin to wither and die without fresh food.
What qualifies as the sun?
Starlight or light from windows counts as the sun. Even if in a space suit, they will die rapidly if exposed to this light at all.

What are consecrated areas?
The Chapel and Chapel Office are counted as consecrated areas, as are tiles with holy water on them.

How will you be able to fight vampires?
Holy items will deal damage to them. Biblesmacks will deal burn damage, holy water will cause burn damage, garlic will weaken their powers, and silver will do the same. You will be able to find crucifixes in religious supplies crates, and these function as powerful weapons against vampires. Vampires can snap off the arms of the crucifix ("Sad to see a man's faith fail...") to render it useless, though.

How is garlic made 'sprinkleable'?
You will be able to dice up cloves of garlic with a grinder to create garlic salt, which can be splashed like a normal reagent onto objects to have special effects.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #120819

Silver bullets from RnD when

Make them pretty low on combat tech for already present guns, IE the shotguns and the detective revolver, same level for RnD guns like the Prototype 9mm

Less damage than normal rounds to dissuade people loading them just in case a vampire is running around while remaining just as effective against other threats, but allow them to cause burn damage to vampires like bible smacks would
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #120917

To be honest I think having to make the bullets out of silver is restriction enough.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #120919

Coffins as a resurrection points seem iffy to me, the only coffins are in the Chapel which would be the last place to go as a Vampire.

Prehaps just make the Vampire a powerful individual without a immortality ability. I dislike antags that can revive themselves after the fact (Not Ling, more so Lich Wizard) simply as it dilutes the aftermath of killing a hard to kill antag.

Maybe even look to Goon's vampire mode for a comparison.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #120924

I'm going to agree with steelpoint

We have enough of the resurrection spamming antags

I'd keep the coffin healing, as it gives a tell that something is up when one goes missing from the chapel, yet it isn't a hard tell
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #120967

How about morgue trays as well as coffins? They're the modern equivalent of a coffin, the various trays are all in risky places (will it be checked in the crematorium? will you be burned on the spot?), and it provides a more in-theme link.

I guess what the mode is maybe lacking is an Igor-like figure? I'm not talking about big groups, but just one servant without any hard tells would fit with vampire lore and also provide a lot of facilitation for resurrection processes (you could have a Duckula-style ritual, for example), without being expected to buff them as a murdering antag.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #120992

I'm restricting resurrection to high-level vampires - it will be the last ability you unlock and will drain a lot of clean blood to use at all.
Stan_Studnick
Byond Username: Stan_Studnick

Post by Stan_Studnick » #120995

As long as I can stuff garlic powder inside a shotgun shell so I can bless it with the power to kill goths and vampkids.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #121040

Remie Richards wrote:Well, Count duckula is before my time rofl, by quite a few years, haha.
but you know how it is, everything's a repeat.
Count Duckula was my jam as a kid, who cares they were repeats
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem