Plasmamen at Roundstart (MERGED!)

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Re: Plasmamen at Roundstart (BIG update!)

Post by Zilenan91 » #125562

Bottom post of the previous page:

Nah plasmaman stinging would be ridiculous. I can guarantee you every single ling would get plasmaman DNA and sting EVERYONE and effortlessly murderbone.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #125868

>standard bio 100
>immune to viruses
>living counter to xenos due to being infinitely on fire
>immune to radiation
>immune no need for hunger
>immune to changeling flesh disguising as you
>only regular downside is slowdown
Jesus I know what I'm playing every single tine I get engineer. What next? Give the helmet inbuilt welding and flash protection?
Yeah, no. Your ideas are making me want roundstart plasmamen even less.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #125869

Zilenan91 wrote:Nah plasmaman stinging would be ridiculous. I can guarantee you every single ling would get plasmaman DNA and sting EVERYONE and effortlessly murderbone.
ITT: people dont read the OP

THIS HAS ALREADY BEEN DEALT WITH. LINGS CANNOT USE TRANSFORM STING WITH PLASMAMEN DNA

seriously people cmon, i've even pointed this out before, are you guys just reading the titles and replying or what
palpatine213 wrote:>standard bio 100
>immune to viruses
because viruses always do so much damage, right?. they would actually be losing out since they couldnt get healing diseases
>living counter to xenos due to being infinitely on fire
they take damage while on fire, not to mention suffocating. this would be the equivalent of saying that lighting yourself on fire as human makes them op against xenos. its actually LESS viable with pmen.
>immune to radiation
see viruses, rarely if ever a danger to the crew 99% of the time, not to mention no superpowers
>immune no need for hunger
hunger is a minor inconvenience, barely even a point
>immune to changeling flesh disguising as you
false.
>only regular downside is slowdown
yeah, yknow, and the fact that they literally cannot be cloned or revived once dead. other than that, totally, mang.
Jesus I know what I'm playing every single tine I get engineer. What next? Give the helmet inbuilt welding and flash protection?
Yeah, no. Your ideas are making me want roundstart plasmamen even less.
THE CHERRYPICKING

IT HURTS

im legitimately losing faith here guys. please tell me you're just trolling me at this point
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #125879

Yeah dude but plasmaman stinging

Anyway the cloning/defibbing/patches problem is kind of not a point anymore if we're going with the pressure suit option.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #125883

Unless flesh disguise jumpsuit ALSO acts like a plasmaman jumpsuit they can't survive like that long.
Also yes they can be revived. If you actually had been listening in coderbus, sweaterkittens planned to fix cloning for them, so that's false.
>radiation not being a thing.
AHAHAHAHAHAHA!
You obviously haven't seen how the nuke/sm/uranium walls stun lock entire rooms full of crew. Radiation immunity is most definitely a thing.
Also super powers have NOTHING to do with rads. That's just a side effect.
Also hunger is extremely annoying especially with the slowdown starving gives you, also being well fed gives you boosts to healing med effects, increased speed, and toxin resistance.
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #125909

palpatine213 wrote:Unless flesh disguise jumpsuit ALSO acts like a plasmaman jumpsuit they can't survive like that long.
Also yes they can be revived. If you actually had been listening in coderbus, sweaterkittens planned to fix cloning for them, so that's false.
>radiation not being a thing.
AHAHAHAHAHAHA!
You obviously haven't seen how the nuke/sm/uranium walls stun lock entire rooms full of crew. Radiation immunity is most definitely a thing.
Also super powers have NOTHING to do with rads. That's just a side effect.
Also hunger is extremely annoying especially with the slowdown starving gives you, also being well fed gives you boosts to healing med effects, increased speed, and toxin resistance.
skipping past the obnoxiously self assured and snide forced laughter, let's discuss some things:

how fucking often does nuke happen? not only would you need someone doing that objective, but you'd also have to be near them while it happens. its a niche case. same thing with hunger; you see the bar go yellow, and it takes SO MUCH EFFORT to go and eat a fucking space twinkie. then you're fine. and the thing about being WELL fed means you have to EAT WELL (i.e. chef food).

the argument "if you dont like the race dont play them" could apply here, but beyond that, i think people are forgetting one major downside to new races: racism. playing with lizard is basically playing hardmode anyway, since you technically dont get law one or two coverage from the ai, and people are perfectly able to beat / abuse you fnr and get away with it; sec will probably join them before they stop them. couple that with the fact that they cant get into positions of power at roundstart, and plasmamen are inferior to humans in a myriad of ways.

this really gets down to a problem i've seen with /tg/ in tbat whenever we start implementing something new there are immediate calls of "NICE BAY FEATURES" or "TG CANTINA CONFIRMED!" if we can implement something in a way that makes it so that humans are the better option FOR MOST SITUATIONS then i think a few people playing as something different (god forbid) is perfectly acceptable; "special snowflake" is just a buzzword people like to throw around like "powergaming" and other shit. humans can get a free ticket for having names like "Dick Fitzwell," having pink afros and running around in rainbow pj's, but the "special snowflake" and "ur a furry" trolls come out immediately whenever lizards or other races get discussed.

change can be nice sometimes guys. i promise.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #125943

Deitus wrote:y-you're all j-just r-raci-ists!! ch-change i-is never not g-good!!
no, the fact of the matter is that there are genuine and serious advantages to playing as them
this is /tg/ and literally every powergamer and their mother will go plasmaman every single time if they find it has any kind of advantage to them
not to mention the game balance shitshow that will occur if we start bringing is roundstart mutantraces with special abilities
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
DaemonBomb
Byond Username: Daemonbomb

Post by DaemonBomb » #125957

Nice stutter meme.

Anyways, I don't understand why we are switching to the jumpsuit thing. I think no-cloner hardmode would be cool. Could we keep them messing up in cloners? Maybe defibs could still work. Or maybe, if you consider no-cloning too harsh, make their corpses burn up into ash after a short time of being without a suit and dead.
Roze Armitage/Sid Spades/GHEDE.loa
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #125959

Lizards don't have any mechanical differences from humans. Plasmamen do.
You are literally ignoring every point I make about advantages and just waving them off saying they don't apply because it won't matter in most rounds. Well what about those rounds when someone uses that tactic? Well now you have a player who is completely immune to that.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #126003

I liked the suit being a hardsuit that does not initially have space proofing.
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #126027

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Deitus wrote:y-you're all j-just r-raci-ists!! ch-change i-is never not g-good!!
no, the fact of the matter is that there are genuine and serious advantages to playing as them
this is /tg/ and literally every powergamer and their mother will go plasmaman every single time if they find it has any kind of advantage to them
not to mention the game balance shitshow that will occur if we start bringing is roundstart mutantraces with special abilities
did i say that you were being racist in particular? no. i was saying that racism towards nonhuman races can be a real point of difficulty to those playing the races from an rp perspective; but once again, you move to the immediate tactic of of ridiculing someone with st-st-stuttering reply edits to sound clever.
>me saying change is never not good
are you forgetting your whole debacle at trying to remove the ai? selective memory can do that to a person i guess. changes can be good or bad, and the point is to discuss them to make them acceptable to the game for the majority of the playerbase.

but time and time again you've only proven capable of snarky half-replies that do little to actually move a conversation forward, so i cant say i expect much. just tell me to take a deep breath or something and give yourself a nice pat on the back. thats the usual deal isnt it?
palpatine213 wrote:Lizards don't have any mechanical differences from humans. Plasmamen do.
You are literally ignoring every point I make about advantages and just waving them off saying they don't apply because it won't matter in most rounds. Well what about those rounds when someone uses that tactic? Well now you have a player who is completely immune to that.
there's a difference, friend, between ignoring points outright and trying to discuss them. the thing about you guys seems to be that no matter what kind of changes we make to them, different races will always be op because of some abstract reason. for the sake of discussion, please tell me what you, personally, would like to see in plasmamen to get them to a point where you would accept them in the game. then i'll offer counterpoints/alternatives, etc., and we can get to a point where everyone is happy.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #126067

I dont see how being called Dick Fitzwell is equivalent in snowflekk/kek/idiocy to being a neon pink lizard with huge fins, multicolored spines, an anglerfish dingley on your head with a club tail, wearing a schoolgirl outfit called "Cucks-The-Valids"
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #126072

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:I dont see how being called Dick Fitzwell is equivalent in snowflekk/kek/idiocy to being a neon pink lizard with huge fins, multicolored spines, an anglerfish dingley on your head with a club tail, wearing a schoolgirl outfit called "Cucks-The-Valids"
Pink affro, dark black skin, silly name, mankini.

Weird lizard shit, silly name, schoolgirl outfit.

All the same thing in the end.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #126079

Raven776 wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:I dont see how being called Dick Fitzwell is equivalent in snowflekk/kek/idiocy to being a neon pink lizard with huge fins, multicolored spines, an anglerfish dingley on your head with a club tail, wearing a schoolgirl outfit called "Cucks-The-Valids"

You heard it here first. Black strippers with hairdye are functionally equivalent to neon scalies called Annoys-The-Admin
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #126209

honestly most lizards i've played with have been less shitters than the general crew populace because they know they will get fucking lynched for stepping out of line and being annoying.
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #126226

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
Raven776 wrote:

You heard it here first. Black strippers with hairdye are functionally equivalent to neon scalies called Annoys-The-Admin
the point is that you don't have to be a lizard to be a "special snowflake." hell, i used to play a completely unedited lizard named "Works-with-diligence" and i got called a snowflake by humans that fit the aforementioned bill. lizards with meme names and exotic models are basically no different than humans with meme names and exotic models. if we're gonna throw around the term "functional," then yes, they literally are functionally equivalent.
Sweaterkittens
Byond Username: SweaterKittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #126255

Alright guys, this seems to be going a little off the rails, let's reel it back in.

Let's talk disadvantages because there seems to have been some miscommunication. As it has been said before, Changeling transform sting will not work when you have a Plasmaman's genome selected. That's to prevent the absurdity that would be click-to-induce-combustion-and-suffocation, regardless of how hilarious the ensuing chaos would be. On that note, I do not know if flesh disguise will keep you from bursting into flames, but you're just as capable of putting their suit on before transforming into them. There will be spare suits as well, for actual use as well as impersonating one without having to steal their suit beforehand.

Regarding cloning: Shadow, I have talked about 'fixing' cloning in coderbus, but please keep in mind if it's not in this thread it's not happening. I would appreciate it if you would read the thread before posting, especially if it's to claim how overpowered they will be, since I specifically addressed the cloning thing on the previous page:
Sweaterkittens wrote:I believe they do currently have brains, so you can revive them via monkey trick/borging. With the amount of support in favor of ONE SHOT ONE CHANCE, as well Remie saying the code to keep them from bursting into flames in cloning will suck, I believe we'll remove that from the docket, so dying will be much more permanent.
Just in case anyone is still unclear: If you cannot be defibrillated, YOU CANNOT BE REVIVED AS A PLASMAMAN. Anything short of Cyborging, using the debrained-humanized monkey trick (which of course will turn you human), or building a cloning setup in a completely plasma-filled/oxygen-less environment, will not bring you back if you die as a Plasmaman. I don't think I need to state how much of a disadvantage that will put you at, since I have seen crewmembers cloned upwards of four times, depending on where and how they die and the competency of the medical staff.

Deitus, thank you for directing people to the OP, especially in regards to transform sting. I know that the OP is long and in-depth, but it is that way because it addresses these issues that people are bringing up. I'm not even going to take the time to address some of these other "issues" like being living counters to xenos, because they are objectively false.

EDIT: @Steelpoint: I also liked the life-support exosuits, but it seems that a lot of players here preferred them as jumpsuits, and I can't argue with something that's easier to code, meshes more with the current state of the game, and is more well-liked. Overall I think they'll still have the same fun and flavor, though.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
deputi
Byond Username: Deputi

Post by deputi » #126270

I think plasmamen should be left as an event-only race. It would really ruin their novelty if you could just play as plasmamen every round. This doesn't add anything to the game other than RP potential which I argue would be greater if we left them as adminspawn only.
Sweaterkittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #126274

deputi wrote:I think plasmamen should be left as an event-only race. It would really ruin their novelty if you could just play as plasmamen every round. This doesn't add anything to the game other than RP potential which I argue would be greater if we left them as adminspawn only.
The issue with them being left as adminspawn is two-fold. One, as has been already addressed, is the numerous mechanical issues that they bring. In their current state they're not balanced, which not only means that they can cause significant problems in the round (such as a changeling transform stinging everyone and causing them to burst into flames and suffocate) but also it means that admins are less likely to spawn them due to said balance issues. The other problem with them being adminspawn only is that there's no reliability. Not only does an admin have to be on to spawn you as one, they also have to want to, and they have to be willing to change your name or run an event where you come to the station if you want good roleplay, and that's a lot to put on the admins, especially if you want to play one every round.

Ideally, they should be more than just 'novelty', and I've really strove to achieve that. If you have any other ideas or concerns regarding that, I would absolutely like to hear them!
ImageImage
Spoiler:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #126277

So a changeling starts the round as a plasma man. Uses meds and fleshmend to heal while building up retarded high fire stacks and runs around ur alredy ded'n assistants would that be good?
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #126321

How close is this to being implemented?
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #126322

Incomptinence wrote:So a changeling starts the round as a plasma man. Uses meds and fleshmend to heal while building up retarded high fire stacks and runs around ur alredy ded'n assistants would that be good?
sounds more fun than revolver + agent card + autolathe

at least for deadchat
Sweaterkittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #126325

Luke Cox wrote:How close is this to being implemented?
Now that we've mostly finalized the balance changes, the coding is getting started. Once that's done (or at least to a near-finished point) Wjohnston's offered to make the jumpsuit sprite, then it'll go into a PR. I may be too optimistic, but I'm hoping that the PR will be up and ready to be merged (and be merged!) by the end of the month!
ImageImage
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #126391

Another question: what jobs will plasmamen be restricted from? Will it be heads like lizards, or will they be restricted from other jobs for safety reasons? From a lore standpoint, I could see humans being a little fearful of plasmamen rather than outright racist like they are to lizardpeople.
Sweaterkittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #126423

Luke Cox wrote:Another question: what jobs will plasmamen be restricted from? Will it be heads like lizards, or will they be restricted from other jobs for safety reasons? From a lore standpoint, I could see humans being a little fearful of plasmamen rather than outright racist like they are to lizardpeople.
Oh shoot, I thought I mentioned this in the OP but apparently it only made it into the list of code changes and not into the actual body. For time being, they'll be restricted from Head roles, Security, and Mime/Clown/Bartender. In the future, if they're well-received and people like the idea, I would consider pushing to allow them into Security.

There are a couple reasons I have the current restrictions laid out as they are. The first is that from an IC/lorewise standpoint, Plasmamen are a relatively new and unknown race, and NT doesn't necessarily trust them working as security officers during their cultural exchange program. In the same way, NT wants them actually working, so roles that are almost purely social and don't actually provide a service (clown/mime/bartender) are restricted as well. And of course, much like lizards, they're restricted from Head roles since that is a strictly human-only position in Nanotrasen. As you said, there is a little fearfulness towards this new and frightening race.

The other reason I chose these restrictions is because restricting them to certain departments will help make them a little more uncommon, as well as keep people from choosing them for more griefy roles, like mime and clown.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
Xhagi
Byond Username: Aliannera

Post by Xhagi » #126494

>restricted from clown

And here I was hoping for a special clown plasmaman suit. :honk:

That said it makes sense, clowns are from the Clown planet after all.
Professional Catgirl and Gayboy Supreme.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #126495

Will there be any sort of poll before this is added to the game?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
DaemonBomb
Byond Username: Daemonbomb

Post by DaemonBomb » #126533

>Plasmamen Firefighters
>Plasma leak
>Someone slips you and takes off your helmet
I want this so bad.
Roze Armitage/Sid Spades/GHEDE.loa
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #126700

After thinking about it for a bit, I came up with a few ideas of which jobs it makes sense to ban plasmamen from:

-Heads: General mistrust and fear. Possible exception for HoS
-Engineer: Plasma + welders = bad
-Medical Doctor and Chemist: Contaminates the "sterile" environment of medbay
-Cook and bartender: Risk of contaminating food
-Clown and Mime: Everybody is afraid of plasmamen, generally unfunny

In addition, I imagine NT would actually like the idea of a race that everybody is afraid of being security.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #126707

I mean, Skeleton Cops are hard to disagree with.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #126737

If NT want plasmamen actually working, then you need to ban them from assistant too. Assistants have no formal job requirements and no real IC requirements either: nobody ever expects to be able to order them to do anything.

I can't imagine many people would want to play them as security if you can't get cloned. Getting killed as sec is fairly par for the course.
as334
Byond Username: As334
Github Username: as334

Post by as334 » #126787

Sweaterkittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #126808

Oh man this is what happens when I don't respond quick enough SO MANY POSTS. But seriously I appreciate all the feedback and comments, I'm happy to hear so much from the community!

@Alianerra: There is a sprite for clown and mime Plasmamen suits from /vg/, but I feel as though /tg/ is not ready for the horror and memes that would surely ensue.

@CPTANT: I didn't put a poll up on the forum for a few reasons, mostly because I felt that people were liable to see the title and make a knee-jerk vote without reading the thread or leaving feedback, which was important to me. I think that gauging how the community feels about them as a roundstart choice via feedback and discussion is far more productive and enlightening, personally. It was (and is) a very satisfying (and stressful) process to watch this evolve as it got community feedback and the problems were addressed. And should it get merged, I will continue to listen to feedback and adjust them accordingly.

@Daemonbomb: I'm excited to see people use their coworkers as living matches to ignite plasmafires. But seriously, interactions like that which use the varied mechanics that a nonhuman race brings are one of the things I'm very much looking forward to seeing in-game.

@Luke_Cox, Jacquerel, and Cheimon - Regarding Job Restrictions: I want to avoid restricting them from TOO much, because while there are certainly good IC reasons to do so (and I do like the ones Luke_cox brought up), having them overly restricted isn't much fun. I may however restrict them from assistant for their initial implementation; I like the idea of Plasmamen actually assisting, it makes sense from an rp perspective, and plays into their role as a new species attempting to help the station, but I feel as though it will be just used for screwing around and eventually suiciding in the hopline, on fire. I would like to see them in security roles eventually, and if you're concerned about being unable to be cloned then you certainly can opt to play a human instead. If not a lot of people would want to play them as security, that's fine, they should be uncommon. They're supposed to be a minority on the station and the amount of them in the round should reflect that. At least one person has expressed interest in allowing them to be Bartenders, and as a work/social role that could actually end up producing some good interactions/rp, I would be down to lift that restriction if there is more interest.

ALSO, PR HYPE. Big shout out to As334 for doing the coding for Plasmamen, and offering to continue working with me to support/tweak/balance them as time goes on, should they get merged. Just to clarify, we're still waiting on a sprite for the jumpsuits and a few other things before this gets to a stage where it can be merged, but the amount of support that you all have shown is really gratifying, thank you! In the meantime, I will continue to monitor this thread and respond to feedback/adjust things as necessary, so keep the comments coming!
ImageImage
Spoiler:
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #126825

Add it as a separate config from lizards and I'm fine with it.
Sweaterkittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #126826

palpatine213 wrote:Add it as a separate config from lizards and I'm fine with it.
Can do, passing this on to my coder.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #133416

[youtube]kmqOV4JkRcs[/youtube]
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #133422

HMMMMM
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #133428

Hilariously broken in so many ways. Heck, my nuke op commander spawned in as a plasmaman and instantly conflagarated, died, then exploded while we all laughed our sides off. I'd hazard a guess that evolving into a shadowling is impossible too, since the evolution process strips all your equipment in a cocoon, thereby depriving you of your plasma tank AND your space suit/jump.

Then there are game problems, like how it's ridiculously overpowered being able to instantly conflagarate yourself at any moment. It acts as a way to kill any head, or group of security without a counter by going next to them, taking off your hardsuit, and running into them before it's feasible to react, making rev a cakewalk. Even IF they react in time, the plasmaman only has to run into the head to 'win' OR hit them with any weapon they have (ostensibly a stunbaton). Also acts as a really hard counter to nuke ops, them having very little in the way of fire resistance, no stun equipment, and so forth, making it very easy to run into an unarmed plasmaman running at full speed once, causing some pretty severe damage to operatives who come equipped with no medical aid sans 6 ointment. Also, the insta-conflagarate can be used as an thrall or conversion denial tactic, a way to reliably clean out and kill many members of a cult/gang/shadowling thralls without any sort of viable response. Hardcounters xenos in a hilarious manner. Bonus points for having an atmos hardsuit as a plasmaman and abusing that instead.

Then there are other problems like not being able to, as a crewmember, tell the profession of a plasmaman at a glimpse. No longer can you say 'ATMOS TECH ON A MURDER RAMPAGE!' the best you can say is 'plasmaman murdering people' which isn't anywhere near as descriptive, unless you manage to get an examine, and even then, it's cumbersome to handle as a crewmember. Minor, but a problem.

Regardless, at the moment they're better humans with added griff and validhunting capability.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #133434

I mostly like Plasmamen, but there are a few things I would change/tweak:
  • Instead of conflagarating, they just turn to ash instantly when they die, with a tiny shockwave that can damage floor tiles and wires for flavor
  • Make sure they have their jumpsuits on at roundstart, including special roles like nuke op, wizard, etc.
  • Completely unclonable
  • Some means to visually distinguish them from one another
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #133446

Amelius wrote:-snipple-
Actually, transforming to a shadowling changes your species to the shadowling one.
so provided the species swap is done in the right place (read: before item strip), you could survive it.
私は完璧
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #133464

Remie Richards wrote:
Amelius wrote:-snipple-
Actually, transforming to a shadowling changes your species to the shadowling one.
so provided the species swap is done in the right place (read: before item strip), you could survive it.
I'd be surprised if it were the case, since you look like your original race for the duration of the transformation. Ostensibly to prevent self-immolation with any lights you had active.
Sweaterkittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #133472

Thank you everyone for bearing with us through this first implementation of Plasmamen. I sincerely apologize if anyone's rounds were ruined or made worse by the bugs/issues that came up. Plasmamen were tested prior to implementation, but a few things were lost in communication between me and my coder, and a few of the issues only appeared once they were live. Aside from a few balance tweaks, they're ready to go again, so you should see them (in a much better state) by the end of the day.

I'm going to do a big update of the OP to cover everything, but until I'm able to do so, here's a quick list of the issues we're aware of and what'll be changing:
  • Plasmamen are able to spawn as Nuclear Operatives - This will be fixed by making them default to humans when you have Plasmamen chosen as your starting race. Lizards will still be able to be ops.
  • The Plasma Jumpsuit does not slow - The jumpsuit is supposed to have a non-stacking slow of 1 (like EVA suits) and currently lacks that. Having perma-slowdown was supposed to be one of the many downsides of being a Plasmaman, and that unfortunately did not get added properly prior to merging.
  • The Plasma Helmet is supposed to be spaceworthy - ...So that Plasmamen engineers can put on the hardsuit and not burst into flames, as well as making them easily identifiable while in EVA.
  • Igniting yourself to ignite others is currently far too good - I have a few changes in mind for this, most notably causing Plasmamen to take more damage from being on fire, making igniting yourself basically a suicide maneuver. I am also considering dropping the extinguisher charges from 10 to 5, as they should be there to keep you alive, not to encourage killing people with your built-in ignition. I will continue to tweak this particular bullet point until it's at a point where it's fun, but not overpowered or griefy to ignite others like that
  • Bug with helmets appearing invisible - As much as I like spooky skellingtons roaming the hallways, this is sort of important, and one of the main reasons they were disabled almost immediately. This should already be fixed, and will come in with the hotfix.
  • Sling transforming sets you on fire? - Remie says that this might not set you on fire, but I'll make sure to test this prior to the hotfix going live, in case it does. Don't want any potential slings incinerating themselves by accident.
  • They share a config file with lizards, making them both disabled or neither - I'm not familiar with the exact code, but I was told this wouldn't happen, but As334 is currently working on separating them so that we don't have to disable both in case there is a problem.
Once again, thank you everyone for bearing with us through their first implementation, and I hope you all enjoy them very much once we get the wrinkles smoothed out!

@Amelius: The Nuke Ops problem is known, and being fixed. The cause for that is that Kor was initially going to make Nukeops (along with ERT and Deathsquad) human-only, so we didn't worry about it. However, since there was contention over whether or not lizards should be nuclear operatives, the PR ended up getting changed to just ERT and DS being human-only, and we forgot that we still needed to make sure Plasmamen didn't become Nuke Ops. That is pretty hilarious though, I'm glad you guys were able to laugh it off.

As far as the ability to light people on fire goes (and this goes for everyone who is currently concerned about the ease which which plasmamen can light people), the way fire stacks transfer makes taking off your suit really viable, which it should not be. In theory, taking off your suit (or helmet) should cause you greater or more damage, but because you're giving half your fire stacks and immediately extinguishing, that's hardly the case. We will be increasing the damage that plasmamen take from fire by a large amount, so that lighting yourself on fire in order to burn others will never be as harmful to them as it is to you. Also, I understand that you have an issue with their identifiability, see my response to Luke Cox below so I don't have to say it twice.

@Amelius/RemieRichards: I'll ask my coder to do a test regarding sling transforms, just to be sure. While the nukeops commander bursting into flames is pretty funny, I'd hate for that to happen in the middle of a tense sling round where it's less easily fixed.

@Luke Cox: I'm not going to have them explode on death for the explicit purpose avoiding grief. People already have this idea about Plasmamen that they're a "griff" race, and that's what I'd like to continue to avoid. They always do spawn with jumpsuits at roundstart, and wizard automatically defaults you to human, and we are currently fixing nuke ops to default you to human as well (if you're a plasmamen). The fact that they are unclonable is intended, which is one of the many downsides of the race (in addition to being SUPER snowflake code to make them clonable). As far as making them more visually distinguishable, I would like to give them job-specific suits, but there is a lot of animosity in coderbus towards job specific-jumpsuits. I'm not sure why, but it's something I hope to add in the future. Luckily for now, most jobs have jop-specific exo-suits (such as winter coats, robes, labcoats, etc.) that will make them more identifiable in that way.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
Zellion
Byond Username: Zellion

Re: Plasmamen at Roundstart (MERGED!)

Post by Zellion » #133476

Can we make the official racist slang for plasmamen hotheads?
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #133496

Zellion wrote:Can we make the official racist slang for plasmamen hotheads?
CLEARLY it's plasmapants
私は完璧
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #133502

Zellion wrote:Can we make the official racist slang for plasmamen hotheads?
hotheads and rattlers
Sweaterkittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #133513

These are all hilarious. Don't forget gasbags ;)
ImageImage
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #133519

numbskulls, boneheads

mischevious raskulls
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #133540

liar liar everything on fire
私は完璧
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #133547

skinbones
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #133691

Zilenan91 wrote:skinbones
these actually already exist.
When I ported plasmamen VG also had a sprite that had skin on, soo:

Code: Select all

/datum/species/plasmaman/skin
	name = "Skinbone"
	skin = 1
私は完璧
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #133693

Yeah they were enabled as a choosable race before plasmamen got disabled. I didn't know if they were a debug thing or what.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote: