On the Topic of Lichdom

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

On the Topic of Lichdom

Post by TheNightingale » #125442

Liches. The things wizards turn into, that resurrect at a specified object when they die. Put simply, they're imbalanced. For one spell point, a wizard can be functionally immortal so long as their phylactery isn't destroyed - and there's no way of knowing where it is.

I propose the following nerfs balance changes:
* If a phylactery exists on the z-level, the pinpointer will point to it.
* The phylactery cannot be moved once deployed, and isn't an item (so it can't fit into lockers).
* Upon the death of the wizard, instead of "The wizard's soul flies southwest" (etc), it says "The wizard's soul flies towards {location of phylactery}".

This way, it still acts as an extra life, but it's a lot easier to find and destroy (done through judicious laser fire or bashing, like a dominator).

Opinions?

(tl;dr: I ded, pls nerf liches)
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Re: On the Topic of Lichdom

Post by Bawhoppennn » #125465

It literally already says which direction it is when they resurrect, something like 'X's soul drifts to the southwest'
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #125474

Which direction, yes. The actual location, no. "Southwest" is really rather vague, it being anywhere between due south and due west.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #125477

The drifting mechanic isn't as useful as it should be, because to byond anything that isn't absolutely straight cardinal is described as a diagonal. So if a lich phylactery is 20 tiles to the east and one tile to the south, it reports as "south east", even though to most people that sort of bearing would just be called "east".

As for lich, yeah it's pretty powerful and could use some balancing. People suggest the pinpointer thing all the time but it just doesn't make any sense. I've played with the idea of a reskined pinpointer that spawns temporarily when a lich respawns, and the more the lich dies the longer the pinpoint sticks around.

Not wild about unmovable phylacteries, that's kind of part of the experience to me. Any suggestion to make them harder to hide in other objects is something that could be done though.

Also now that we have wizard points out of ten we could always make lich a three point spell, admit it's pretty damn useful, and call it a day.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #125482

Bawhoppennn wrote:It literally already says which direction it is when they resurrect, something like 'X's soul drifts to the southwest'
Yay, on average you now only have to search a fourth of the entire map.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #125505

Yeah, and the fact it can be damn near anything doesn't help. You can make it a medipen in a toolbox halfway across the station if you want. People are very unlikely to ever find it, especially because wizards have what is functionally all access and will therefore hide it in electrical maint, or whatever.

Make phylacteries bulky, light giving, impossible to hide in lockers, whatever. Just make it impossible to miss. It'd make the thing much more balanced.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #125531

If you're a real bitch, you can jaunt into space and just drop it in deep space, on the station z-level.

This makes it fucking 99.999% impossible to find, and when you respawn you can just throw something/teleport/jaunt back to station.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #125535

lumipharon wrote:If you're a real bitch, you can jaunt into space and just drop it in deep space, on the station z-level.

This makes it fucking 99.999% impossible to find, and when you respawn you can just throw something/teleport/jaunt back to station.
I was quite careful to make sure that a lich doesn't have anything to throw that isn't vital to him (a piece of his robes or the phylactery itself) to prevent that problem, but jaunt and teleport still defeat it.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #125565

Or Instant Summons on his staff.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #125686

It isn't OP, gib the corpse and praise byond.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #125689

it's not hard to destroy the gibber and incinerator, as a wizard.
callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #125691

Toss it into the singularity or use a bomb.

Spoiler:

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
>trucking

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #125709

callanrockslol wrote:Toss it into the singularity or use a bomb.
Good luck getting the corpse all across the station/making a bomb in the 10 seconds before it respawns
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #126098

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
Good luck getting the corpse all across the station/making a bomb in the 10 seconds before it respawns
It takes like a minute and you can cuff them and keep beating them as it happens.

Spoiler:

>trucking

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:

Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #126131

callanrockslol wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
It takes like a minute and you can cuff them and keep beating them as it happens.
Cheat death happens instantly if it's had time to cool down, and it's not like lings, he respawns back at the phylactery.
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #126135

I should take Lichdom before it gets nerfed to all hell, sounds interesting.

Why not comprimise and make it only give a set limit of lives to the user, so instead of infinite lives you only get two lives before your phalything is exhuasted.

It gives the Wizard what it wants, a way to cheat death, but at the same time it does not make it too stupid to deal with.

Also Lichdom should cost about four spell points, to further make it a investment. Maybe further upgrades to Lichdom, by spending a spell point, will give the user a additional life.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #126152

Steelpoint wrote:I should take Lichdom before it gets nerfed to all hell, sounds interesting.

Why not comprimise and make it only give a set limit of lives to the user, so instead of infinite lives you only get two lives before your phalything is exhuasted.

It gives the Wizard what it wants, a way to cheat death, but at the same time it does not make it too stupid to deal with.

Also Lichdom should cost about four spell points, to further make it a investment. Maybe further upgrades to Lichdom, by spending a spell point, will give the user a additional life.
The balance for lichdom is that each time you die, the cooldown before you can resurrect again doubles (or is it quadruples?)

so it starts at 60 seconds the first time you die, then 2 mins, then 4 mins, and the crew slowly homes in on your phylactery
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #126153

How about the phylactery item is actually a mob and needs air and floor to live. That should sort it.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #126154

Is the Phylactery Item moveable or replaced upon death or is it permanent?
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #126157

Steelpoint wrote:Is the Phylactery Item moveable or replaced upon death or is it permanent?
It's moveable, not replaced upon death.

Which yeah, makes the scenario I outlined not really work. But that's the intention (They need to be made anchored)