Tele baton- OP!

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
sirnat
Byond Username: Sirnat

Tele baton- OP!

Post by sirnat » #126370

Alright so, the tele baton or however it's spelt is really OP, more so than the stun baton.

The baton can keep someone on the ground, infinitely, and longer than a stun baton, it doesn't have a charge.

You can keep someone on the ground, beat them a few times, and just knock them down again even while they're still on the ground!

Suggestion:
Make the baton only work on people standing up, not laying down on the ground to remove the infinite stun, instant loss.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Re: Tele baton- OP!

Post by Amelius » #126375

Aside from the obvious 'I was killed by this pls nerf' let me just break this down for you because this may as well be the dumbest thread I've seen on feedback in years.

> The baton can keep someone on the ground, infinitely, and longer than a stun baton, it doesn't have a charge.

Wrong. Each stun lasts very short periods forcing you to continuously reapply the stun and dedicate your entire focus to them. It's something like a third or a fourth of the duration of a normal baton strike. You can be batonned 10 times in a single charge, which last something like a minute or two real time. Telebatons you can reapply forever, but you would never do so, similar to how you'd never use your entire stock of baton charges on one person, since cablecuffs are a thing.

Telebatons have flat cooldowns, i.e. You can NEVER keep two people down, as the cooldown lasts until *just* before you can apply the next.

The stun baton is better in almost every sense, as it stuns for multitudes longer making it easier to apply cuffs and can be used for crowd control. The telebaton's sole major benefit is being able to be stored in the pockets, but then you realize they must be used before applied, adding an additional step. They are only viable as basic self-defense weapons for heads that also function as equipment to demote personnel by force/throw out assistants, and are solely distributed to heads and the detective.

Please note that you don't even have to change intents to kill someone with a stunbaton. You can knock them down AND kill them on harm intent. Toggling is optional and just serves to quadruple+ the usage you get out of your battery life.

Summary: you're salty because you're unrobust and you felt helpless after you were stunned with a melee weapon. I get it, you're vexed, but it's perfectly balanced and fair. React quicker to the baton pull and you won't die horribly. There's very little difference from this and being stunned with a taser, chainstunned then murdered, in whcih case you only have your own unrobustness to blame.
tuypo1
Byond Username: Tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #126378

it is meant to be a get the fuck out of my department weapon it serves its purpouse perfectly
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #126379

You realize that the telebaton requires you to be spam clicking the person you want down for an infinite stun, right? And you need to be focusing 100% of your attention on them?

Try getting a buddy to club them over the head while they're stunning you.
sirnat
Byond Username: Sirnat

Post by sirnat » #126380

Thats the thing, to fucking survive a telo baton beating, you HAVE to have someone help you. If you dont you have to rely on them mis clicking.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #126382

sirnat wrote:Thats the thing, to fucking survive a telo baton beating, you HAVE to have someone help you. If you dont you have to rely on them mis clicking.
So why not get a buddy and have them help you?

And if they stop doing anything OTHER than telebatonning you, they risk you getting away.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #126383

It takes extreme focus to be able to kill someone with a telebaton while stunning them with it. The stun lasts less than a fucking water slip does.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #126385

sirnat wrote:Thats the thing, to fucking survive a telo baton beating, you HAVE to have someone help you. If you dont you have to rely on them mis clicking.
To survive a stun baton beating you HAVE to have someone help you.

To survive a tase 'n lase you HAVE to have someone help you.

To survive <insert stun here followed by lethals> you HAVE to have someone help you (barring stun reduction stuff).

Thank you obvious man!
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #126387

Just smoke cigarrettes. The stun resist they give you is just long enough so that telebatons can't permastun you.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #126397

Inb4 the everyone is smoking.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #126401

Why do cigs give stun resist? I don't get it.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #126403

Nicotine. Ideally you want to plop a coin into a shadycigs vendor and smoke a cigar since they last longer.

Greytiding tips and tricks, smoke cigars kids, they stop those nasty heads of staff from kicking you out of their departments!
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #126419

Switch to disarm, hold down a move key away from them, call for help, and then mash mouse click on them. Eventually, you will stand up and be able to sax off/disarm them.

People who die from telo baton either die because they give up or the person doing it is a fucking pro with an internet connection plugged directly into the server.
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #126425

Raven776 wrote:an internet connection plugged directly into the server.
ah man that would be awesome.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #126502

A telebaton is an extremely valuable defense weapon, and I would be very sad to see it go. It takes precision and focus to do anything with the tiny stun time it gives. If the user slips up, for even a second, he is left open to a disarm or the assailant escaping. From the time they were added, the telescopic batons have become a crucial tool in allowing non-security/HoP heads a fighting chance in Rev, given them the ability to handle department infighting, and allows a head to remove the clown from his department without having to powergame by having a stunprod or sleep chem on his person at all times.
DaemonBomb
Byond Username: Daemonbomb

Post by DaemonBomb » #126509

Telebatons are a fairly defensive weapon, what with being a very powerful single-target stunlock, but only lasting long enough to be a stunlock. Heads of Staff have them because Heads of Staff are walking, talking sensitive items. A CE? Kill one and it's: Access to insuls, 4 RCDs, 2 RPDs, a unique fireproof, radiation proof, armored hardsuit, emitters, the blueprints, magboots with almost no slowdown, lots of tools, the AI satellite, the Engineering department, the Singularity (And it's PA), the SMESs, all of atmos, the bridge, EVA, Comms console, Command Channel, ect. ect.

If you want all of that, you should have to prepare a little more than you would before killing a greyshirt.

The detective has one because they are meant to be in dangerous situations, but aren't supposed to actually be the ones doing the arresting/executing. When prowling maint tunnels they need a quick way to disengage from a fight before calling security.

Oh, and they make a pretty distinct noise when activated, so a quick thinker can get out of the way and spam disarm.
Roze Armitage/Sid Spades/GHEDE.loa
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #126567

Why is every single feedback thread demanding something get nerfed?

With the exception of the semi-regular "why is everything nerfed and not dangerous" threads anyway.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #126568

There's around one person who wants the Tbaton nerfed.

Almost any game in existence is going to want systems nerfed or whatever.

Only difference is that this was made as a feedback thread, not as a PR that may have nerfed the Telebaton significantly and most people may have missed it.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #126616

Kor wrote:Why is every single feedback thread demanding something get nerfed?

With the exception of the semi-regular "why is everything nerfed and not dangerous" threads anyway.
Usually buffs are posted as ideas in the ideas forum.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #126685

Telebatons are really good, because you can drag someone while infinistunning them with spamclicks.

I've seen so many people be dragged in stunlock all the way from the engine room to sec, whereupon the stunner says "Sec halp cuff" and then cuffs them.

Telebatons were a replacement for flashes when flashes were nerfed, but they're so much stronger than old!flashes it's insane
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #126690

Speaking of flashes, what's even the point of them outside of stunning borgs. I guess they blind you, but when you could just stun somebody instead that's almost not even a positive thing, and they so rarely make me "drunk" after I get flashed that I genuinely don't see the point.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Amelius

Post by Amelius » #126832

Zilenan91 wrote:Speaking of flashes, what's even the point of them outside of stunning borgs. I guess they blind you, but when you could just stun somebody instead that's almost not even a positive thing, and they so rarely make me "drunk" after I get flashed that I genuinely don't see the point.
Robusting anyone by AoE flashspamming, especially in maintenance. Renders antags without sunglasses totally inert and allows an officer to risklessly close distance or toss a flashbang in there for a stun.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #126835

the telebaton would be even more OP if you could coat it in bluespace crystal powder to make it a teletelebaton
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #127001

Or just throw a bluespace crystal at them. That can teleport people into space. You can also crunch it in your hand to teleport yourself.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #127173

Super Aggro Crag wrote:the telebaton would be even more OP if you could coat it in bluespace crystal powder to make it a teletelebaton
make it teleport the baton away not the target .