Sprinting Feedback

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Sprinting Feedback

Post by Incoming » #126644

So for the last day or so sprinting has been live on sybil. It's not actually merged yet, but has been running as a sort of preview/extended balance test.

If you aren't aware of sprinting or how to use it read through the mechanics here: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/12362

I'd appreciate it if y'all could tell me about any potentially unbalancing features sprinting may have brought in. So far here are the two big things I need to fix:

---

1. The sprint hotkey (holding `) doesn't work right if you try to do it while moving (which you likely would be doing if you were trying to run away)

2. People with hulk status are immune to stamina damage and therefore can just sprint forever.

---

Are there any other big problems you've seen into how sprinting has worked on the server? Feel free to also share !!OPINIONS!! if you have them on this subject.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Re: Sprinting Feedback

Post by lumipharon » #126656

Why are hulks even immune to stam damage anyway?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #126676

Why are hulks still in the game
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #126701

lumipharon wrote:Why are hulks even immune to stam damage anyway?
Why wouldn't they be?

Otherwise every kid with a disabler or gun would be able to stun a hulk like stunning the average assistant.

I don't like sprint. It adds another layer of complexity without enhancing the game. If you sprint for more than 3 seconds you'll be slowed after going into run mode and your pursuers will catch you. It's basically there for people (like me) who are going to bind it to a hotkey and then use it to occasionally edge out lesser players.

As much as that appeals to the powergamer in me, it's really not good for the game and isn't going to do anything for the average player.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #126730

Because facing a bunch of hulks when none of your weapons do shit (unless you've gotten shit from the armoury) is pretty awful?

Being immune to stuns, being able to hulk punch all walls and chain stun/murder people in melee is already pretty good.

But yeah I agree with oldman, doesn't really add anything good to the game, also the fact that sprinting while almost dead is just as fast as a healthy human doesn't make sense.
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #126779

I'd like to say for the record that sprinting is pretty fucking cool. Sprinting away from hull breaches is a nice sort-of-counter to the spacewind menace.
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #126782

I run a few seconds down a corridor and now I'm tired out.

For a second I thought I was watching a video of Walking Dead Survival Instinct, minus the obnoxious sweat covering my screen.

Apparently future space men really need to start jogging more often.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #126796

You're running all the time in spacemen, sprinting just mean that you're really hauling ass.

---

Anyways I've closed the sprinting pull request. It might come back later and I'll leave the topic open in case anyone has any strong cases for keeping it. Essentially after watching how sprint was used it became obvious that it was both too circumstantial to become a big game feature and too powerful to be made any better, so it got caught between a rock and a hard place.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #126802

i really liked sprinting and hope it comes back, it made my life as a medical doctor easier as long as i didn't go full retard with it and helped me get out of some tight space-wind related jams
NoahGoldFox
Byond Username: NoahGoldFox

Post by NoahGoldFox » #128563

Sprinting should be brought back. it was fun and useful
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #128574

lumipharon wrote:Why are hulks even immune to stam damage anyway?
Wasn't there a time when they weren't and disablers were considered an actual option to take down hulks?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #128582

Hulk would be pretty trash for antags if Sec could just go "Lol disable to dehulk him!". Forcing the enemy to take lethal measures (or a syringe gun I guess) is a risk of being hulk.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #128593

whodaloo wrote:I'd like to say for the record that sprinting is pretty fucking cool. Sprinting away from hull breaches is a nice sort-of-counter to the spacewind menace.
that is pretty much the only good part of sprinting.