Should The AI Remain Off Or On Station?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Should The AI Remain On Its Satellite?

Yes, the AI should remain off station.
68%
No, the AI should be brought back on station.
14%
Other.
5%
Abstain.
14%

Total votes: 22

Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Should The AI Remain Off Or On Station?

Post by Steelpoint » #126852

Simple question.

Well over a year ago I moved the AI off station to its own satellite, at the time the polls showed a 50/50 support and opposition to the change.

So the question I want to present is, considering we've had over a year of it, should we continue to let the AI remain off station on its own satellite, or should it be returned back on station to its original position. Of course doing this would force us to relocate the Gravity Generator back to the SMES Cell room and such.

The position of the AI has great influence on how certain rounds can go, for example being off station makes it easier for certain antags (Nuke Ops mainly) to kill the AI initially.

Your thoughts?
metacide
Byond Username: Metacide

Re: Should The AI Remain Off Or On Station?

Post by metacide » #126862

While it certainly would be nicer for the AI not to get killed instantly by ops, and to be much more readily and easily repaired, I do think having the AI off-station is pretty cosy and makes for more interesting rounds in most other gamemodes.

Could always try it for a bit sometime and see how it goes, I'll be interested to know what the general consensus is.

It wouldn't be hard to do on Box, at least. On MetaStation it'd be a nightmare of rearrangement...
MetaStation is currently running by vote or by default on both Sibyl and Basil
Feedback and suggestions are welcome in the MetaStation thread
tuypo1
Byond Username: Tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #126863

i was never around for on station ai so i cant compare them but it seems to work as a sat.

Maybe make it a station systems sat and give it telecoms, grav gen and r&d server to (well maybe not grav gen it works fine on d20 but it might ruin the imersion of some people depending on how they think grav gen works)

it would allow justification for giving more people acces to the sat for more fun.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #126864

I should say this is in relation more to Boxstation. Also I'm neutral on the subject matter but I'm interested in seeing how people's view on the matter may be now that a lot of time has passed.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #126869

I think /vg/'s current iteration of the box map has the AI where the gravgen is currently on our map. Kinda neat. Looks way too easy to break into though so I have no idea how their malf rounds play out if they even have them.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #126873

Definitely worse in nuke other modes are a toss up as even the most well guarded AI sat is ripe for bombing and can become worthless in seconds and space murderers can pretty much break in with impunity while killing most of the first responders from engineering. Even for malf it is a toss up since the murder people burn the halls shit actually spilled over into helping secure the core even if it was less entrenched.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #126874

Saegrimr wrote:I think /vg/'s current iteration of the box map has the AI where the gravgen is currently on our map. Kinda neat. Looks way too easy to break into though so I have no idea how their malf rounds play out if they even have them.
That's where ours was before steelpoint made the AIsat.

Malfs had to be super stealthy, then super agressive to stand a chance
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #126875

Honestly fastmos was probably a bigger nerf to AIs thinking about it again as long as MSOs garbage change remains fires will burn out too quickly and through the ground too soon to control the station properly like the AI did before it was relocated.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #126877

I think the AI sat was a good change. It looks good, makes sense, gives ops an easy option to take more time and resources to kill the AI fairly easily or leave it as a hazard without them necessarily being revealed straight away, and works much much better for malf, restricting the number of people who can get to it and allowing the AI to create a gauntlet through engineering of several doors and vents and shit.

Definitely keep it.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #126885

I prefer on station AI core. Malf isn't as much affected as you might think. Plasma fire/syphoning around the core still makes accessing the core very difficult without hardsuit. And we can always rebalance malf (which I think is a gamemode that could be much better than it currently is)

In other gamemodes the isolation of the AI core makes it an easier, not harder target if you want to kill it. Response times from security to any threat to the core are usually abysmal.

Ohw and with the new map rotation we can just have a variety, have some map with it in the station, other on a sat, etc.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #126886

I much prefer the AI Satellite. It is the AI's own area, and its defenses, size, and setup can be easily modified without worrying about negatively affecting the surrounding area in the station. While it does come at the cost of easy stealth kills, consequence free bombings by non-antags, and a decreased crew response when assaulted, the independent structure allows for the AI to better be able to defend itself against lesser threats.

Barring the increase in 'GG NO RE' AI killings, the Satellite has been a good change for the AI, for it not to be laughable for anyone to break into it with the most common of tools.
tuypo1
Byond Username: Tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #126900

Stickymayhem wrote:gives ops an easy option to take more time and resources to kill the AI fairly easily or leave it as a hazard without them necessarily being revealed straight away
this seems to be most peoples bigest complaint about it its rare to see somebody say its a good thing. Although i i suppose there complaining more about the syndiborg.

Oh i just had an idea.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #126914

It's good as a sattelite for Box, but I think it should be map specific.
If a mapmaker has a good idea for an onstation AI core, like on Asteroid, I like it.
If they have a good idea for an offstation AI like on Box, that should be an option too.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #127002

We can't really move the AI anywhere but the sat or Nuke Ops will suddenly have a much, much harder time at killing it. The AI is actually ridiculous in Nuke, so much so that it's considered par for the course to spend 50 TCs to kill it.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS