Vampires (Side Antagonist) & Vampirism

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Vampires (Side Antagonist) & Vampirism

Post by Xhuis » #127755

I dropped this a long time ago but I've decided to pick it back up.
https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/11951
The pull request basically wrote:
  • Vampires can be created by drinking from a glass goblet filled with blood
  • Only non-cultist, non-loyal, non-chaplain crewmen can become vampires
  • Vampires sustain themselves from the blood of living creatures
  • There are two types of blood: clean and dirty
  • Clean blood is gained from sapient humans and is the optimal type of blood, being able to prevent death and heal wounds
  • Dirty blood is gained from any other creatures and is basically useless
  • To drink a creature's blood, the vampire targets the head on harm intent - after a short time, the target will be continuously stunned and muted while the vampire drains a lot of their blood (however, never a fatal amount is drained)
  • After being drained, the target will, fluff-wise, forget everything that happened to them
  • Vampires are quasi-immortal and are incapable of death by most means
  • Whenever a vampire would die normally, they will instead regenerate a small amount of damage and lose a point of clean blood
  • This functionality is null and void if the vampire has over 200 burn damage or holy water in their system - they can die normally in that case
  • As long as a vampire has clean blood, they will slowly regenerate damage every tick - 0.1 of each type except oxyloss, which is 1
  • Holy water will utterly destroy vampires, doing 8 burn damage per tick
  • Vampires can examine each other to determine their vampiric status
  • Analyzing a vampire with a health analyzer will display error text in place of blood level and type
  • Blood-filled goblets are either admin-spawned or created by an event
  • The event picks a random eligible human and plays a sound and message to them before spawning the goblet at their feet
Last edited by Xhuis on Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Vampires & Vampirism

Post by PKPenguin321 » #127764

pretty cool, but maybe they could use a HuD instead of examine text? also, what exactly is their purpose? drinking some blood and immediately making the victim forget about it seems really really passive and probably won't affect the round very much
definitely has potential, and i'm really liking the influx of new antag types.

but aside from all that, the question is: will it be done in time for halloween?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #127767

"I dropped this a long time ago"

You should have that as your catchphrase.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #127768

I'm gonna tell you right now, vampire is the most shit and hated thing on goon. It's not fun. It's a ling with some homosexual flare powers. It's basically combining ling and slings. They are boring to play against because they are stealth based and they are boring to play as. You sit there as a vamp and chew someones head for a bit then hide the body.

I sincerely recommend not adding them.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #127799

Don't vamps on goon get super loud and robust once they get full power?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #127808

Zilenan91 wrote:Don't vamps on goon get super loud and robust once they get full power?
Yes but Goon's Changeling does that but in a more enjoyable and better way.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #127810

would they be like regular draculas or freaky aliens
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #127811

From reading the OP it seems the Vampire is a really weak variant of Changeling.

A Vampire will need to find a stun based weapon before they can drain anyone's blood, and they have no special powers at all to rely upon so its going to be Stun Prod/Water city for Vampires.

Also it seems if you just Laser a Vampire to death that it'll kill them forever, or just swing by the Chapel and get some Holy Water and put that in your peppersprayer.

I don't get this antag, its pathetic and at best it'll piss Medbay off as they have to keep getting more blood to heal people who lost all their blood, at least until someone kills the Vampire, cuffs it and tosses it into a vat of Holy Water.

Seems worthless as a antag, either go big or go home.

Or fix Shadowling, but I digress.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #127828

Oh holy loyalty implants. Okay now.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #127855

This is still WIP but I appreciate the feedback regardless.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #127860

Zilenan91 wrote:Don't vamps on goon get super loud and robust once they get full power?
Not really. They're a less powerful ling on goon.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #127875

All right, I'm not on my phone anymore so I can address some concerns in more detail.
PKPenguin321 wrote:pretty cool, but maybe they could use a HuD instead of examine text? also, what exactly is their purpose? drinking some blood and immediately making the victim forget about it seems really really passive and probably won't affect the round very much
I deliberately abstained from using an antagonist HUD because vampires are reliant on blood, not magically able to tell who each other are with a cursory glance. With examines, you can tell anyway, even though armor of all sorts. They are meant to be passive, and they are entirely nonlethal in their abilities (although people who powergame might just murderbone anyway). I may be granting them abilities.
Steelpoint wrote:snip
Vampires will not need stun weapons - if they can catch someone in place for two seconds, the person will be stunned and muted while they're being drained of blood.
With your philosophy of "go big or go home", I should remove a lot of minor tools from antagonists like traitor and changeling because they aren't "big" enough. How about those AI detectors amirite?
Alex Crimson wrote:"I dropped this a long time ago"

You should have that as your catchphrase.
My name on GitHub is "The Half-Finished". :honkman:
People generally wrote:So are these basically just weaker changelings?
Vampires are almost nothing like changelings. The only similarity between them is that they use a unique resource - vampires use blood and changelings use chemicals. Changelings don't create other changelings, and changelings don't harm people to gain chemicals. They also don't have magical hivemind communications - you can't discreetly communicate with other vampires via some spell or verb.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:would they be like regular draculas or freaky aliens
Standard Dracula-type vampires. The alien version of this would be shadowlings.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #127901

All right, I don't want this to be another shadowling. I want people to actually like this side-antagonist. So...
Post your suggestions below so that I can improve this before I finish it.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #127903

Randomly spawning a goblet of blood at your feet in front of a bunch of people is just going to result in a mad grab for the goblet and then an immediate lynching.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #127904

I think you should finish it first so people can actually experience it before they demand it get entirely redone.

The advantage this has over shadowling is that it isnt a game mode. It doesnt have to be interesting for every single player or kill half the station.

Revenants dont impact the round much but theyre still a lot of fun for the person playing them.

Also good choice not using a HUD. They're dull and take the guesswork/ability to disguise out.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #127905

Kor, my issue with this is that it's not like a side antag. Vamps will hide the corpses or space them like a ling. It's literally ling-lite. Wraiths feast off of the dead and are a pain in the ass but they don't destroy bodies.

a correct post by pillz
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #127910

DrPillzRedux wrote:Kor, my issue with this is that it's not like a side antag. Vamps will hide the corpses or space them like a ling. It's literally ling-lite. Wraiths feast off of the dead and are a pain in the ass but they don't destroy bodies.
Excuse me, did I fucking stutter? Vampires are entirely nonlethal. They are physically incapable of killing people by draining their blood, and doing so will directly impede them since they lose more potential sources of blood.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #127913

Neat, but what about getting a quick nip from the willing?
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #127916

Vampires would be a great secondary antagonist. If we make them harmed by light, it could make meta-ing Shadowlings more difficult.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #127919

Yup, not good enough to be their own mode, but a very low chance to join as vampire regardless of mode (I don't think suddenly becoming one makes much sense) seems fine.

Maybe less so if you're a changeling, because then vampiric powers are redundant, and of course high-chaos modes should probably be out.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Pascal123
Byond Username: Pascal123

Post by Pascal123 » #127922

I wish.

Then i could stop pretending and start being.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #127924

Vampires are side-antagonists, not actual antagonists. They're stored in gamemode code because there was no better place to put them. They are intended to be part of rounds of other types - for instance, you can have a malfunctioning AI with a coven of vampires on the side.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #127927

Wait, fuck that noise about chaos. Imagine the hell breaking loose if there was a vampire among ops.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #127930

DemonFiren wrote:Wait, fuck that noise about chaos. Imagine the hell breaking loose if there was a vampire among ops.
Do you mean a nuke op who was also a vampire?
Because that'd be fucking awesome.
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #127931

No, seriously, what about blood sharing? It'd be good from a practical and RP perspective.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #127933

DemonFiren wrote:Wait, fuck that noise about chaos. Imagine the hell breaking loose if there was a vampire among ops.
Primary antag > Side antag. As a vampire, you do not suck on your friends. Now, if you mean that the Op would be OP (lol) in that case, you may have a point.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #127937

Gun Hog wrote:
Primary antag > Side antag. As a vampire, you do not suck on your friends. Now, if you mean that the Op would be OP (lol) in that case, you may have a point.
Hell, it might be Nuke OP if we got vampire infection spread (however low - maybe go the VTM way of higher generation = less potency, infected have less powers at their disposal and cannot, themselves, infect. Fuck if I know, I suck at game design.)

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #127939

Gun Hog wrote:
It'd be easy to restrict vampires to non-antags already, but I think it'd be more !!FUN!! not to.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #127954

Xhuis wrote:
Gun Hog wrote:
It'd be easy to restrict vampires to non-antags already, but I think it'd be more !!FUN!! not to.
I like your way of thinking. It will, without a doubt, be nerfed later, but let us enjoy it while we can, eh?
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #127986

So basically just an extra layer of regeneration that makes people supermen? You are willing to create changeling vampires but one officer? Gosh the holy power of nanotrasen prevents that!
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #128010

Incomptinence wrote:So basically just an extra layer of regeneration that makes people supermen? You are willing to create changeling vampires but one officer? Gosh the holy power of nanotrasen prevents that!
The regeneration is literally 0.1 of each damage type per tick. That's around half a minute for a single point of damage. In addition, changelings can't be vampires. It isn't possible for them to become vampires.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #128024

So it does basically near nothing is barely useful requires a lot of work most interesting combinations are cordoned off. So this is basically a way to mass produce work for admins over the IGNORE ME notice and little else.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #128031

Incomptinence wrote:So it does basically near nothing is barely useful requires a lot of work most interesting combinations are cordoned off. So this is basically a way to mass produce work for admins over the IGNORE ME notice and little else.
You just can not be pleased.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #128060

So is there an actual reason for the chaplain to want to kill vampires? They'll just get lynched for killing a dude who could help out the station. I think making it so the vampires are a bit more antagonistic and beastly once they have enough blood would incentivise the chaplain from purging it like the filthy heretical scum it is.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #128070

Or the vampire can just suck the chaplain if he gets caught by them olo forget me bye.

It's non interactive as hell.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #128074

Yeah chaplain blood should poison vamps like on Goon
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #128084

Since it takes two whole seconds to stun and start sucking off a crew member that's still going to require some method of immobilizing them, since two seconds is long enough for someone to just move to the left/right. If you take the risk of attacking someone with your bite, and they move away and scream out your name, then your up shit creek without a paddle, especially when lasers start flying.

In addition what is to stop a Vampire from simply cuffing/killing someone as they are draining their blood or after the fact? I could catch and stun someone, then cuff them, then drain them of blood and then kill them. Why take the risk of fighting the same people again later when you can just off them and move on.

Finally when I stated (Go big or go home) I am saying that for all antagonists on the whole and not just abilities wise. Many antagonists have a wide range of powers that ALLOW them to go loud or at least to do well offensively, yet they also have cheaper and more subtle powers. The Vampire gets a two second stun mouth and can sssslllooowwwllllyyyy heal themselves.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #128096

It would be nice if vamps were like they were in Lifeweb where they're kinda antagonists but not really yet still powerful with some pretty severe downsides to all their abilities.

How lifeweb does them is vamps start out as humans who need blood. Any blood, really, human, non-human, doesn't matter. They also have abilities they can sacrifice humanity for, and the more humanity they lose with these abilities, the more often "beast mode" triggers. Beast mode puts a filter over your screen and essentially makes you an NPC for a while, moving and attacking on your own, and also drinking the blood from the still cooling corpses assuming you find any. It also triggers if you're very low on blood, and you're always given a warning before it happens.

tl;dr you need blood, get cool powers but also severe downsides to compensate.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #128103

Zilenan91 wrote:How lifeweb does them is vamps start out as humans who need blood. Any blood, really, human, non-human, doesn't matter. They also have abilities they can sacrifice humanity for, and the more humanity they lose with these abilities, the more often "beast mode" triggers. Beast mode puts a filter over your screen and essentially makes you an NPC for a while, moving and attacking on your own, and also drinking the blood from the still cooling corpses assuming you find any. It also triggers if you're very low on blood, and you're always given a warning before it happens.
Lifeweb probably stole that from Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, except simply killing innocent humans in any fashion drained Humanity, making the chance of Frenzy occurring while hungry much higher.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #128166

I'll address some of this once I'm on my computer.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #128184

Okay, time to respond to some stuff.
Steelpoint wrote:snip
What you don't seem to be grasping is that vampires are not antagonists. They are never intended to be a full-fledged mode. They're side-antagonists, and not meant to impact the round in any meaningful way. As for draining people then killing them, there is absolutely no way to stop that. There will always be people who murderbone, and the one time we made murderbone against the rules half the playerbase revolted until it got changed back.
Zilenan91 wrote:Yeah chaplain blood should poison vamps like on Goon
If you attempt to drain the chaplain's blood, you are disengaged from the draining and set on fire.
Zilenan91 wrote:So is there an actual reason for the chaplain to want to kill vampires? They'll just get lynched for killing a dude who could help out the station. I think making it so the vampires are a bit more antagonistic and beastly once they have enough blood would incentivise the chaplain from purging it like the filthy heretical scum it is.
Fluffwise, vampires are unholy and a direct enemy of the chaplain, sort of like cultists. I may implement gameplay mechanics to further reinforce this.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #128188

Whatever, I just don't see the point. Vampires were never even a good antagonist in the first place.
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #128255

Vampires were suggested, but along with zombies generally disliked because of their commonness in literature and movies at the time. Some people are extremely sensitive to this sort of stuff it seems.

Perhaps enough time has passed to make these viable though:
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #128285

The Reign of Terror is over. It is time.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #128310

This just seems like a side antag, similar to Abductors.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #128312

Helios wrote:This just seems like a side antag, similar to Abductors.
That's because it is a side antag!
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #128315

Xhuis wrote:
Helios wrote:This just seems like a side antag, similar to Abductors.
That's because it is a side antag!
Then why is everyone complaining it's like ling but less powerful?
Changelings are an entire mode. Solo Op is like Nuclear Ops but less powerful.
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Re: Vampires (Side Antagonist) & Vampirism

Post by TrustyGun » #128317

Because people can't read
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #128354

How about some less hostile ways to get blood, possibly from willing subjects, Xhuis?

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #128358

AnonymousNow wrote:How about some less hostile ways to get blood, possibly from willing subjects, Xhuis?
I don't see why not. Also, why are we talking in big text now?