Vampires (Side Antagonist) & Vampirism

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Re: Vampires (Side Antagonist) & Vampirism

Post by Xhuis » #128358

Bottom post of the previous page:

AnonymousNow wrote:How about some less hostile ways to get blood, possibly from willing subjects, Xhuis?
I don't see why not. Also, why are we talking in big text now?
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #128411

From watching your round as one, Xhuis, they seem sort of...impotent. They have nothing but their amnesia blood suck and reviving from death. They need more powers. Also, for fluff, vampires should slur or be unable to speak while sucking, for the obvious reason that they are fangs first in someone's neck.

Having puncture wounds be detectable in some fashion would be interesting as well.
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #128412

Needs some form of instant heal via blood so that it doesn't get stuck in crit forever.
Also, personal feeling is that it needs some sort of superstrength, with restraint breaking(maybe a martial art?) that costs blood and toggleable speed at, again, blood cost.
Maybe a brief AoE stun, themed as "Vampiric Presence" or something. Like, long enough to start draining someone.

Maybe even an anti-stun ability that drains blood for each stun it prevents?
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #128414

Saw a round with this. Looked alright, but a couple of points.

First off is that people can and will leave a vampire in critical condition and then lock it up. It doesn't look very fun for the vampire, people assuming you'll just ghost is pretty shit, and there's nothing anyone can do. One didn't even die when exposed to space for several minutes, which doesn't sound right according to the burn damage 200 limit but it happened. Needs some sort of 'last resort' ability to counter this. Swarm of bats? Dust that blows in the wind, then reforms? Even a changeling-style resurrection wouldn't work if they were bucklecuffed, which isn't a problem for lings because they have their own counters (acid and monkey form).

Second, and much more trivial, is that the goblet didn't look very fancy. Just like any other wine glass. Could do with a great sprite, but that would need, uhh, a good spriter. Having said that, it's not the cup that really matters here, is it? It's the vampire blood. You could provide an alternative of any cup working if the vampire bleeds into it, though maybe the goblet is magic, and if that's the case, it definitely needs to look fancy as hell.

Third is that the bloodsucking "animation" looks kind of weird. If you're standing next to someone they're stunned, but visibly about a foot away from you. If you made it more like changeling in that they appear underneath you it'd look much better (and be more obvious to passers by that something was up).
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #128416

Xhuis wrote:
AnonymousNow wrote:How about some less hostile ways to get blood, possibly from willing subjects, Xhuis?
Big text is fun!
Also, it seems like currently dirty blood is completely useless, plus the whole braindeads don't give any clean blood is silly I think. Maybe have them give half as much? Clean blood is super important for vampires and making it hard to get is pretty annoying.
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #128425

I suppose one obvious question is whether vampires need to be antagonistic at all.

Should security care if they catch someone who's a vampire, if they haven't killed anyone or hurt anyone? I suppose stealthily taking blood is a form of assault, but assault's hardly a capital crime. What is the vampire intended to do? Is their vampirism a curse that they reluctantly find forced upon themselves? Is it something traitors seek out, hoping to steal immortality? Are we just expecting them to do the usual traitor thing, try and murder people and rob the armory?

Because if it's just blood they're after, they don't have to be valid at all.

Oh, another point while I remember. It needs to be addressed in policy whether they're human or not. I personally would think that a vampire absolutely is human, just magically cursed. In the same way that a werewolf is a human who turns into a wolf, or a wizard is a human who can cast spells. Ignoring if they're lizards, obviously. But I did see a borg asked the question, it confidently answered "no" immediately and then tried to ineffectually kill the vampire. It ought to be clear. Then, if they are human, but already dead, how much can they be harmed? That's the second question to address.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #128457

If vamps aren't going to be valid why should they exist at all in Space Station 13? That'd just make them randoms with powers which isn't a good thing. As a side antag they're supposed to cause some trouble.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #128539

If vamps aren't going to be valid why should they exist
To spice up the game, add new content, and create interesting roleplaying situations. Things don't have to be valid for them to be worthwhile additions to the gameplay. Obviously any antagonist of any kind is going to be valid because of our rules concerning antagonists being allowed to do whatever the hell they want. I'm merely questioning whether the vampires have to be designed as antagonists. We could indeed have a situation where vampires are forced to drain blood, but are constricted by a moral code (ie they can't do whatever they want,because they're not antags), which I think could be entertaining. In fact, vampires and antagonists could be two seperate circles on a venn diagram, occasionally crossing over but more often separate. Vampires could shock traitors with their durability in a fight, be the hero of the station when nuke ops come, or form some dastardly pact with security to rid the station of traitors in return for a fresh supply of blood.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #128561

Xhuis wrote:
Because I-
Oh, sorry. I asked you variations on this question twice before. It'd be pretty cool to get some sort of vampire-cult going, or an elder vampire showing his minions the ropes.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #128565

I've taken a lot of this feedback to heart, and it's raised some interesting questions. Will created vampires be as strong as the alpha vampire? Will vampires be valid it all? A lot of this is gonna have to go into consideration. This might take a while.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #128567

I don't quite understand how vampires fit into SPACE STATION 13 without an antag factor to them. Why do some people need powers from round start if not meant to antagonize the crew? If they are why shouldn't the crew be able to purge them?
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #128570

DrPillzRedux wrote:I don't quite understand how vampires fit into SPACE STATION 13 without an antag factor to them. Why do some people need powers from round start if not meant to antagonize the crew? If they are why shouldn't the crew be able to purge them?
That kind of logic is like asking why people have the potential to create dangerous things if people have the potential not to be antagonists. Like I said, I'm still brainstorming where to go with these.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #128590

Vampires make zero sense though.

a correct post by pillz
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #128617

If vampires make zero sense then what the heck is wizard mode
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #128619

All right. I have two methods of doing vampire abilities, short of not doing them at all.
  • I can give them toggles - i.e. an ability called "Accelerated Recuperation" that allows you to toggle faster healing at the cost of increased blood reduction;
  • I can give them immediate-use abilities that cost a chunk of blood with a small cooldown - i.e. the "Accelerated Recuperation" ability having a 10-second cooldown, costing a hefty amount of blood, and healing similar to Fleshmend.
Place your votes here.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #128621

Can all vampires do is heal?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #128627

Zilenan91 wrote:Can all vampires do is heal?
They heal passively using clean blood and never have to eat.
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #128679

I'm more of a fan of 'immediate use': it strikes me that a vampire should be rewarded for having a high amount of blood in the bank, and also that the sort of situations in which the abilities will be useful are going to require a lot of healing (e.g. stuck in space cuffed to a bed).
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #128682

why cant we have both toggles and immediate?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Doritos
Byond Username: Zaross

Post by Doritos » #128687

From what I've seen vampires don't really DO anything. They're just like regular crewmembers except with a viro regen virus. (With one of the debuffs being you're valid.)

Vampires with disciplines ala VTM (or lifeweb) would be cool.

Celerity for no click delay and oldspeed pls.
lol
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #128751

they should be able to summon space bats as friends like Orlok on Metastation
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #128777

There is, as far as I could tell from watching, no disadvantage to being a vampire.

It's actually beneficial to let them give you immortality by being their "victim." Same deal as security. No reason to stop the guy handing out healing.

They're not so much side antags as a benign player controlled buff virus.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #128781

Kor wrote:There is, as far as I could tell from watching, no disadvantage to being a vampire.

It's actually beneficial to let them give you immortality by being their "victim." Same deal as security. No reason to stop the guy handing out healing.

What's the disadvantage to being a cultist?
It gives you tomes, which gives you various powers, and the ability to do things you otherwise wouldn't be able to.
No reason to stop the cult from handing out cult tomes, and turning the crew into cultists
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #128807

Helios wrote:
Kor wrote:There is, as far as I could tell from watching, no disadvantage to being a vampire.

It gives you tomes, which gives you various powers, and the ability to do things you otherwise wouldn't be able to.
No reason to stop the cult from handing out cult tomes, and turning the crew into cultists
There's not much wrong with one cultist. There is, however, something deeply problematic about having a cult. When they get together, cultists always end up being incredibly violent, gibbing people in the hallways and trying to summon their hugely destructive god, that will kill anyone it comes into contact with and spawn thousands of construct harvesters that also like to kill anyone they see.

When vampires get together, they just carry on being normal vampires. No sudden rage god, no armies of constructs, they're as chill (or not) as they were before.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #128817

I demand diablerie.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #128821

That might be too much chaos. Or too much incentive for backstabbing.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #128839

Cheimon wrote:
Helios wrote:

There's not much wrong with one cultist. There is, however, something deeply problematic about having a cult. When they get together, cultists always end up being incredibly violent, gibbing people in the hallways and trying to summon their hugely destructive god, that will kill anyone it comes into contact with and spawn thousands of construct harvesters that also like to kill anyone they see.

When vampires get together, they just carry on being normal vampires. No sudden rage god, no armies of constructs, they're as chill (or not) as they were before.
Cults don't really gib people anymore, not like the used to.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #128898

Cult literally always has an objective to gib at least one person.

That and, you know having a "summon elder god to consume everyone" objective half the time.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #128917

First tentative abilities have been added.
  • Sanguine Regeneration: A toggleable ability that causes wounds to be regenerated much more quickly but increases passive blood consumption.
  • Accelerated Recovery: A toggleable ability that increases stun recovery while causing more blood to be passively consumed.
  • Chiropteran Shapeshift: An ability that costs 100cl of clean blood or 300cl of dirty blood. Upon using it, you will turn into a vampire bat. These bats move extremely quickly, can maneuver in space without fear, and can ventcrawl. Attacking non-dead humans will drain a tiny amount of clean blood. They have 40 health. Death or reverting back to human in this form will paralyze the human themselves for 5 seconds.
  • Demonic Strength: An ability that costs 50cl of clean blood or 150cl of dirty blood. Using it allows you to snap handcuffs with the ease of a twig, but this surge of strength is very temporary and will only work to remove handcuffs.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #128918

>fleshmend and adrenaline sacs

Careful where you're going with this.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #128922

Well at least they should do things now.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #128926

In fact all of them seem like the annoying changeling "defensive" abilities that they use to murder everyone.

Its also kinda redundant as far as antag types go. We dont need another creature that shrugs off the armory.

Do something new like Hypnotic gaze, which antags a target for ~3 minutes with a custom objective (that the vampire sets) before wearing off. Requires 10 seconds or whatever so they gotta be taken captive first. Amnesia afterwards.

Actually I think I'm gonna do a new stand with that ability (and finally make them more tc I guess)
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #128993

What exactly are vamps weak against? I sense a vampire hunter gimmick coming
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #129008

Wyzack wrote:What exactly are vamps weak against? I sense a vampire hunter gimmick coming
Holy water, chaplains (well, they can't feed off them).
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #129019

Wyzack wrote:What exactly are vamps weak against? I sense a vampire hunter gimmick coming
Holy water, consecrated areas (think chapel), chaplains themselves... mainly, holy stuff. I'll probably add garlic at some point, too, as well as the ability to coat wood in garlic to create stakes that function as powerful melee weapons against vampires or can instantly kill a critted vampire (even though they can't die normally).
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #129028

Neat idea, but i doubt it will be much fun. Lifeweb requires your character to go to sleep, and in combat it pretty easy to grab/bite someone, especially with the grab system working off a strength stat. /tg/ would need similar features to make Vampire interesting to play, if you are not going the aggro route for their design.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #129031

Can we also get one of those ridiculous stovepipe hats and a matching jacket to the clothesmate/autodrobe so i can be a Warhammer Fantasy style witch hunter burning peeps at the stake and stuff
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #129079

Can we also have some pretty severe downsides to being a vampire? Like beast mode or something, where if you don't get enough blood you become essentially a simple mob for a while that kills people and drinks their blood?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #129097

Putting mobs in control of simple mobs never works out well, as evidenced by the first iteration of Last Resort.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #129106

yeah headslugs are kinda shit. If we wanted to fix those, making them unbumpable would go a long way to solving it.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote: