Would removing changeling be any real loss?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
metacide
Byond Username: Metacide

Would removing changeling be any real loss?

Post by metacide » #129338

I very much dislike changeling myself, and I feel it's only gotten a lot worse in recent time with a line of buffs and new abilities. Once again we seem to get long dull murderboner rounds with lots of recalling. It's not rare to see changelings survive or thrive with impunity despite a well armed crew knowing who they are and where they are. Even when the crew get the upper hand over them, additions like headslugs and cuff-melting provide what feel like unnecessary and poorly balanced chances to start the whole mess all over again.

I don't find it much fun as a gamemode, and many if not the majority of people on OOC seem to quite dislike it as well. I've played for a fair while, and I don't think the general consensus on changeling has ever been that it's any good. I'm sure a few disagree, and I'm quite interested as to what the general consensus here on the forums is.

Would much really be lost by either removing (or strongly reducing) the chances of changeling or traitor-changeling gamemodes?
MetaStation is currently running by vote or by default on both Sibyl and Basil
Feedback and suggestions are welcome in the MetaStation thread
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Re: Would removing changeling be any real loss?

Post by Bawhoppennn » #129340

no
invincible machines of war that can instantly remove handcuffs, fleshmend faster than they can be killed, and are unstunnable are not a good gameplay mechanic.
Last edited by Bawhoppennn on Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #129341

metacide wrote:I very much dislike changeling myself, and I feel it's only gotten a lot worse in recent time with a line of buffs and new abilities. Once again we seem to get long dull murderboner rounds with lots of recalling. It's not rare to see changelings survive or thrive with impunity despite a well armed crew knowing who they are and where they are. Even when the crew get the upper hand over them, additions like headslugs and cuff-melting provide what feel like unnecessary and poorly balanced chances to start the whole mess all over again.

I don't find it much fun as a gamemode, and many if not the majority of people on OOC seem to quite dislike it as well. I've played for a fair while, and I don't think the general consensus on changeling has ever been that it's any good. I'm sure a few disagree, and I'm quite interested as to what the general consensus here on the forums is.

Would much really be lost by either removing (or strongly reducing) the chances of changeling or traitor-changeling gamemodes?
In its current state: no

But like I have said before, a progression based side-antag (don't really like that word because it implies that the threat is less powerful, which it shouldn't be) ling has real potential.

Imagine a gang war going on where people are also mysteriously disappearing, than suddenly you realise it was a ling that ate all those people and by doing so has become powerful enough to kick your butt.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #129342

It should be less of a brute wall of strength, and have to rely more on stealth and deception of who they are.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #129343

Oldling was terrible.
Newling was wimpy
Combatling is farcial.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #129345

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Oldling was terrible.
Newling was wimpy
Combatling is farcial.
progression ling is the answer.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #129363

In dota or whatever a carry works because they have the pressure of a constant battle and the potential for his team losing/the enemy carry outpacing them. The enemy team also knows the carry exists where as you gotta meta hard to find and fight them in SS13.

There is no battle to occupy people while the carry fucks of for 40 minutes to "farm" in SS13 though, and when they finally show up to kill everyone its one sided and little fun. And instead of having a team to protect them while they progress, they have to hide. Just look at how boring old cult was.

I dunno of that comparision made any sense but basically the concept of a carry that relies on nobody knowing it exists is terrible.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #129366

The ling should be a side antag focusing in stealth and subtly. This combat-soloing a full security + ert is bullshit. lings were based on John Carpenter's 'The Thing', stop trying to make this Prototype.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #129367

Kor wrote:In dota or whatever a carry works because they have the pressure of a constant battle and the potential for his team losing/the enemy carry outpacing them. The enemy team also knows the carry exists where as you gotta meta hard to find and fight them in SS13.

There is no battle to occupy people while the carry fucks of for 40 minutes to "farm" in SS13 though, and when they finally show up to kill everyone its one sided and little fun. And instead of having a team to protect them while they progress, they have to hide. Just look at how boring old cult was.

I dunno of that comparision made any sense but basically the concept of a carry that relies on nobody knowing it exists is terrible.
Of course there would be shit going on. Thats the entire point of making ling a side antag. Eating people while the gangs shoot each other, or traitors are fucking up the station.

And of course they shouldn't be unbeatable, they should be STRONG, but there are few things that can fight the whole station, even wizards have problems with it.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #129369

Meta, we would have two less modes though. And I doubt anyones gonna put any real effort into making yet another new gamemode to replace it.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #129370

Removing them as a solo gamemode? Nothing of value.

I still think they should show up randomly in low amounts for other gamemodes though.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #129371

A rare to appear side antag seems like the best fate for Changeling.

We're better off trying to refine Shadowling as a main game mode than trying to resuscitate Changeling, its dead and no amount of chemicals will convince it to come back to us.
asskek
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Asskek

Post by asskek » #129373

CPTANT wrote:
metacide wrote:I very much dislike changeling myself, and I feel it's only gotten a lot worse in recent time with a line of buffs and new abilities. Once again we seem to get long dull murderboner rounds with lots of recalling. It's not rare to see changelings survive or thrive with impunity despite a well armed crew knowing who they are and where they are. Even when the crew get the upper hand over them, additions like headslugs and cuff-melting provide what feel like unnecessary and poorly balanced chances to start the whole mess all over again.

But like I have said before, a progression based side-antag (don't really like that word because it implies that the threat is less powerful, which it shouldn't be) ling has real potential.

Imagine a gang war going on where people are also mysteriously disappearing, than suddenly you realise it was a ling that ate all those people and by doing so has become powerful enough to kick your butt.
That last bit doesn't happen. Meta.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #129383

asskek wrote:
CPTANT wrote:

That last bit doesn't happen. Meta.
People disappear all the time in gang, and even knowing that there is a ling is far away from finding it.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #129385

Honestly, I'm all for making lings into a side-antag that appear randomly in modes. Same for cult if we remove Stun Paper and conversion.

But for all of this, we need datum antags first.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
asskek
In Game PermaBanned

Post by asskek » #129394

firecage wrote:Meta, we would have two less modes though. And I doubt anyones gonna put any real effort into making yet another new gamemode to replace it.
black ops
hand of god
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #129588

Asskek, thanks for volunteering all your time to help make said modes.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #129600

firecage wrote:Asskek, thanks for volunteering all your time to help make said modes.
good thing there are literally three modes on the github being actively worked on.

Plus, Black Ops is consuming goofball's coding time, as can be told from the immense lack of dramabus right now
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
asskek
In Game PermaBanned

Post by asskek » #129602

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
firecage wrote:Asskek, thanks for volunteering all your time to help make said modes.
good thing there are literally three modes on the github being actively worked on.

Plus, Black Ops is consuming goofball's coding time, as can be told from the immense lack of dramabus right now
wait, what's the third one?
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #129610

asskek wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:

wait, what's the third one?
Black ops, Hand of god, and that weird one which can be summed up as "WINTER IS COMING", right?
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #129613

As much as I like to shit on changelings for being a shit antag, seeing them shifted off to the side rather than being a focus seems like the better option.

Traitorling is an okay mode, for instance.

Seeing 1 or 2 in the "big" rounds, Rev and Gang, would be perfect.

There's actual activity going on, instead of 9/10ths of the players playing Extended until the next guy goes missing and nobody notices anyway.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #129618

The thing I really hate about the current iteration of ling is how absorbing has been made irrelevant.

Lings gaining strength by absorbing people is one of the core principles of the whole ling concept.

Removing the ling gamemode and putting lings in other gamemodes is a good idea. I do think however that they should have the potential to become very dangerous opponents when they have absorbed a lot of people.

Perhaps the term co-antagonist would fit the concept better than side-antagonist. As they have the potential to come to the main stage.
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #129642

So. CPTANT, do you mean something like this?

1. Remove ling mode.
2. Reduce amount of lings in Traitorchan.
3. Enable there to be a ling in most modes.
3. Remove teamling.
6. Change lings to be more like oldling, and make them have unlimited abilities again and gain points when absorbing again so they can buy more abilities again.
5. Behold as we have modes with 1-2 once-more powerful and deadly, but solo lings to keep things interesting.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #129650

firecage wrote:So. CPTANT, do you mean something like this?

1. Remove ling mode.
2. Reduce amount of lings in Traitorchan.
3. Enable there to be a ling in most modes.
3. Remove teamling.
6. Change lings to be more like oldling, and make them have unlimited abilities again and gain points when absorbing again so they can buy more abilities again.
5. Behold as we have modes with 1-2 once-more powerful and deadly, but solo lings to keep things interesting.
Basically yes. I think lings should start out weaker than the current ling and exceed them when they have absorbed a lot.

I would gate most abillities behind a minimum amount of absorbs required to increase the sense of progression.

It's also the perfect moment to introduce new ling abillities that can be unlocked with dna. High tier acid spits? Faster absorbing? greater form? Things like that can be balanced by their cost and minimum dna required.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #129656

Yes. They produce unique rounds and when robust lings team up and go loud you get some crazy, brutal fights that have absolutely no parallel compared to other conflicts we see on the station.

Compare that to malf (just like law 0 AI's but with more boring hoops to jump through), double agent, or even wizard (unique rounds but they almost never have any merit to them, you either get meme rounds... brutal station genocide with 0 hope for the crew... or 30 second self-immolating babywizards) and I see a lot more candidates for removal due to the fundamental flaws of those modes. Ling isn't fundamentally flawed, it's got potential, bring back a focus on absorption (seeing husks slowly building up outside genetics definitely made you feel paranoid), and force teamlings to operate under team rules (and fix their objectives too damnit.

People saying to make the side-antags just don't get it. Lings are at their best when working as a team. Solo-lings are just completely meaningless. I don't get paranoid about a single ling, I don't view it as a threat, unless it has a way to subvert the AI or access security gear, he can continue armblading assistants in maint till the round ends for all I care. Lings are only going to reach their potential when working as a group to make themselves an actual threat to the command and security personnel aboard the station.

Plus side-antag status opens the door to all kinds of stupid crap that nobody wants. Gangling? Revling? No thanks.
1g88a
Byond Username: Ig88A

Post by 1g88a » #129696

Maybe you could nerf their more overt combat abilities (or make them more costly, either in resources or other drawbacks). That way lings who "go loud" will have to commit. A greater emphasis on needing to husk people, combined with the heightened risk of trying to fight your way out of trouble, should encourage more stealth and misdirection and less blade-arming everything while stinging everything else.

AS an aside, in my experience on other servers, (well, one server, goon) lings tend to just eat each other for more DNA rather than work together. They have a cap on their maximum identities here so I'm guessing that discourages infighting by making it rather pointless. In fact, one of my most memorable rounds as a ling involved impersonating a sec officer, saving another officer from a ling with my lube-filled fire extinguisher, and then husking them both.
DEAD: ADMIN(Hornygranny) says, "you play in my universe, normie"
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #129697

I really dislike the trend towards rigid teams with no backstabbing. Ling vs ling vs sec is more interesting than ling vs sec.
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #129707

Lings without any form of progression are either too much of a threat(what we have had recently) or literally extended, but with less admin involvement(which is what they more or less were before the buffs)
So no, removing what we have as ling isn't a bad idea.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #129714

Kor wrote:I really dislike the trend towards rigid teams with no backstabbing. Ling vs ling vs sec is more interesting than ling vs sec.
After all my thousands of rounds I've never seen ling backstabbing be "interesting".

I have seen it turn hundreds of potential rounds into extended.

Here's what ling backstabbing gets you:

1) Lings who team up with security, instantly ruining a ling round
2) Lings who punish other lings for actually trying to team up (and the chilling effect that results) because a ling happens to be another ling's target
3) Ling backstabbing that goes something like this: :g "Meet me in turbine Mr. Zeta and I'll give you a sec ID" - "ok", 2 minutes later the ling is slapped with a stunprod repeatedly and bladed/cuffed, absorbed, and spaced. Now instead of 2 antags conspiring against the crew, one is dead and the other hides in a locker for the rest of the shift because he finished his objective without even having to antagonize the crew. That's the best case scenario, next case is that one ling victim yells out on radio and both end up out'ing themselves trying to stay alive and get bumrushed by security.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #129716

Anonus wrote:Lings without any form of progression are either too much of a threat(what we have had recently) or literally extended, but with less admin involvement(which is what they more or less were before the buffs)
Anyone who thinks currentling is "too much of a threat" is bonkers.

It's still only a fraction of the strength that paraling was and all its killing tends to be really loud, obvious, and leave cloneable corpses behind. You have to put in a lot of effort to succeed as a currentling compared to before where it was simply a matter of getting within a tile of your target, MUSCLES PAINFULLY TIGHTEN and then yaket'ing into maint. Grab the RD/HOS/CAP/HOP with that method and you're well on your way to a station-wide genocide.

Now lings MUST work as a team to pull off any kind of crazy ling takeover and even then it's a very challenging road if security musters any kind of effective response and if you're ever on camera with the AI watching then welcome to shocked + bolted doors with a panic syphon for good measure.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #129723

Oldman Robustin wrote:Yes. They produce unique rounds and when robust lings team up and go loud you get some crazy, brutal fights that have absolutely no parallel compared to other conflicts we see on the station.

Compare that to malf (just like law 0 AI's but with more boring hoops to jump through), double agent, or even wizard (unique rounds but they almost never have any merit to them, you either get meme rounds... brutal station genocide with 0 hope for the crew... or 30 second self-immolating babywizards) and I see a lot more candidates for removal due to the fundamental flaws of those modes. Ling isn't fundamentally flawed, it's got potential, bring back a focus on absorption (seeing husks slowly building up outside genetics definitely made you feel paranoid), and force teamlings to operate under team rules (and fix their objectives too damnit.

People saying to make the side-antags just don't get it. Lings are at their best when working as a team. Solo-lings are just completely meaningless. I don't get paranoid about a single ling, I don't view it as a threat, unless it has a way to subvert the AI or access security gear, he can continue armblading assistants in maint till the round ends for all I care. Lings are only going to reach their potential when working as a group to make themselves an actual threat to the command and security personnel aboard the station.

Plus side-antag status opens the door to all kinds of stupid crap that nobody wants. Gangling? Revling? No thanks.
Well, another interesting thing about multiple lings is that you can have them take over departments, not like how the objective tells you to, but actually take them over. The idea you are a lone officer, notice one of the officers isn't implanted, go taser him, then all the other officers appear and start armblading you is just neat.
Gang Ling/Rev Ling can be interesting if they have objectives to kill both gang/rev leaders and heads of staff. Neither side can trust them.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #129731

i agree in that lings as they are really are not fun 99% of the time, even when i play one i wish i find myself thinking "aw man not tator." i personally vote to have a huge thread where we yell at each other over what needs to be fixed and implement something before we say it sucks again.
metacide

Post by metacide » #129737

Oldman Robustin wrote:Anyone who thinks currentling is "too much of a threat" is bonkers.

It's still only a fraction of the strength that paraling was and all its killing tends to be really loud, obvious, and leave cloneable corpses behind. You have to put in a lot of effort to succeed as a currentling compared to before where it was simply a matter of getting within a tile of your target, MUSCLES PAINFULLY TIGHTEN and then yaket'ing into maint. Grab the RD/HOS/CAP/HOP with that method and you're well on your way to a station-wide genocide.

Now lings MUST work as a team to pull off any kind of crazy ling takeover and even then it's a very challenging road if security musters any kind of effective response and if you're ever on camera with the AI watching then welcome to shocked + bolted doors with a panic syphon for good measure.
I don't follow your argument here at all. Just because changeling was once even worse doesn't somehow stop it being significantly overpowered at the moment. It was awful then and is awful now too.

I have to disagree about teamwork too. Lings don't have work as teams, and often don't - while still managing to kill a lot of people, even fighting large groups of them. On the occasions where they do team up, you tend to get an unstoppable team of changelings boring everyone witless for ages while they recall endlessly so they can gradually murderbone the entire crew. I've seen this happen a few times and that doesn't seem much fun either.

I also think infighting among the changelings is to be encouraged because excess teamwork usually leads to the above situation, given how overpowered changelings are at present.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #129739

Every time I get ling I just go loud after 5 minutes and kill everything.
Other lings helping is optional, but you can basically just walk straight to the armoury and load up on all the guns, murdering as you go, then murdering after.
(flamthrowers are pretty funny as ling)

Most lings still play it as though it's some shitty stealth atang, when it really isn't.
That's the only reason why some people think it's UP and keep buffing it.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #129744

Oldman Robustin wrote:
Anonus wrote:Lings without any form of progression are either too much of a threat(what we have had recently) or literally extended, but with less admin involvement(which is what they more or less were before the buffs)
Anyone who thinks currentling is "too much of a threat" is bonkers.

I dunno what ling you're playing but I'm playing the kind that can shrug off almost any attack and just mindlessly click people to death no matter how many times they shoot/stun you.

If you get a jetpack you're more or less immortal since you can just unstun and fly off if you ever start running low on chems and just keep spacing people.
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #129745

Paralings couldn't leap up from stuns and start murdering people with an armblade, and, while dangerous, had TONS OF TROUBLE dealing with multiple people compared to current ling, which has much less trouble and is honestly absurdly powerful.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #129746

Anonus wrote:Paralings couldn't leap up from stuns and start murdering people with an armblade, and, while dangerous, had TONS OF TROUBLE dealing with multiple people compared to current ling, which has much less trouble and is honestly absurdly powerful.
Don't forget when you finally catch it it has multiple get out of jail free cards (including one that stuns/confuses anyone near you!) to fuck off into a vent and start the chase over.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #129764

Ling is fun if you don't follow your objectives and just play it as an excuse to dunk people who annoy you without the consequences of death. Hence why it would be good as a side antag
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #129766

Well, there'd be clever play with stuff like Transform sting, which took time to research so you could disable
But
>Transform sting doesn't transfer all disabilities
>Transform sting disables you from using any abilties for 3-4 minutes
Can't have creative changelings that don't murder people, and instead turn half the station into clowns, gotta nerf that
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #129770

Combat abilities aside they are still objectives incompetent. It is like the antag and the objectives were designed by two people who never met each other which makes it weirder when I know they weren't since they are given the new objectives with each overhaul.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #129991

Anonus wrote:Paralings couldn't leap up from stuns and start murdering people with an armblade, and, while dangerous, had TONS OF TROUBLE dealing with multiple people compared to current ling, which has much less trouble and is honestly absurdly powerful.
They could leap up from stuns, and instead of the loud/obvious/easy to avoid armblade, someone would pop up and with no warning/noise/telegraphing you'd be on the ground long enough for them to punch you to death if they felt inclined.

Yes survivability is up but I always felt that was a fair trade-off for being an antag with:

1) No inherent means of stunning
2) No ranged abilities

In a game of stuns, where ranged stuns reign supreme, your offensive capability is basically being a traitor with an EMP kit and Esword... and that would be laughable in most situations. In exchange for having less antags with less offensive power than the average traitor, who are also valid to the AI/borgs, you get survivability. It's not excessive and heavy melee weapons can give regular crew a fighting chance (landing a knockout blow with a spear/axe will beat the average ling 90% of the time) and stun weaponry flat out gives you the advantage (they need 4 hits to crit you, you need 3 stuns to exhaust their chems). It only gets nutty when the lings have acquired their own guns (removing their key weakness) or abuse lube (aka massive invisible AOE stun trap that the ling can adrenal out of and kill everyone who was chasing them).
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #130084

Somewhat a side note:I don't think we need a new gamemode to replace changeling, I'd rather work on improving the ones we have, and having one less is no big loss.
metacide

Post by metacide » #132283

Weekly reminder that virtually everyone thinks it's awful, and though the chance appears to have been brought down a little it still happens plenty on lowpop.

Remov changeling 2k15 it's cancer and bizarre it's been in this long.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #132294

Agreed. Removing changeling will benefit the game.
Bring back papercult.

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #132295

The easiest and quickest way of doing this is asking MSO, or whoever has access to the server files, to simply bring the Changeling/Traitor+Ling game mode weighted odds down to zero for the time being.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #132297

d-datum antags... s-soon, right?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #132306

Datum Antags would solve most problems we are facing at the moment (though what problems will it create?) but for the moment we have to do without Datum Antags. We may never even get them.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #132319

As much as I hate to say it, yes. Ling needs a rework desperately, and right now it's guaranteed minimal fun for all parties involved. It should be removed from round selection until it's made decent.

Remove lings 9/11
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Zellion
Byond Username: Zellion

Post by Zellion » #133479

I think it would be cool but probably useless if the changeling had more transform options. Like you could disguise yourself as a corgi or a slime like you can with a monkey.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #133482

I tried murderboning ling yesterday.

My arsenal consisted of Monkey, EMP, Armblade, Armor & Shield, & Fleshmend

What I did not know however is that with the new transform monkey mumbo-jumbo I cannot use the armor if I'm transforming into something in the jacket slot. Go figure.

So, my 'failsafe' combo was Monkey > Ventcrawl > EMP > Pop Out of Vent > Human > Armblade > Win.

Get Stunned? Monkey. Get Lasered? Fleshmend and try to ventcrawl.

My worst fear in the round was not people, but from dying of oxydep while ventcrawling.

Maybe you guys are playing ling as 'super secrit stealth deathmachine' when you should just play them as 'deathmachine'. I actually enjoyed my time running around in the vents watching as people scream ling over radio. I only died from a bomb I didn't expect.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current