IEDs nerfed beyond reasonablity

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
cultist-chan
Byond Username: Corruptroulette

IEDs nerfed beyond reasonablity

Post by cultist-chan » #7998

Recently I have been testing IEDs. Frankly... they aren't good at all. I can't back this up with hard numbers but I experimented tonight with the help of SG

Here's what I found.
  • IEDs will only affect a one tile radius.
  • IEDs will hurt you into "light green" condition if you are 2 tiles away, "yellow" if you are standing right on it
  • IEDS are literally worse than a postasium water grenade
With that in mind I would ask the coders to do one of the following to better represent a IED
  • Take IEDs out completely: I actually suggest this primarily. It seems that most admins have a problem with IEDs being thrown at the brig and they are a griefing weapon if used by greytiders
  • Increase the damage of a IED, If you're going to make a IED make it work correctly. At least make it 3x3 as far as damage instead of 2x2 and let it put someone in the red if they are right on it. Not crit. Just in the red.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: IEDs nerfed beyond reasonablity

Post by paprika » #8000

Did everyone miss the memo where scaredy said to bring down the hammer of zeus on non-antags who abused IEDs?
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #8004

IEDs are terrible, not even worth making.
Tested recently on NT Code, they do about 25 damage if you're standing on it. They don't gib corpses(!), they don't do a significant amount of damage to mobs. Currently it seems like they only exist to cause damage to the station, because there is no other viable use of them.

Given that igniters aren't exactly common things (Tech storage? Autolathe?), it stands to reason that IEDs ought to be somewhat powerful. If greytide/griff is a problem, just treat them like bombs and log every explosion. Do welderbombs log explosions and notify admins? They should.

Give me back my ghetto gibbings, make them actual threats in combat, or remove them entirely. At this point I don't care, because there's no point in making them.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
ShizCalev
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ShizCalev
Github Username: ShizCalev

Post by ShizCalev » #8007

they -are- logged.
ImageImage
>Be ling
>Spread misinformation about how SM works to sabotage it
OOC: ChemicalRascal: Lying about game mechanics in relation to an engine that is poorly understood by most isn't cool, though
cultist-chan

Post by cultist-chan » #8008

Psyentific wrote:IEDs are terrible, not even worth making.
Tested recently on NT Code, they do about 25 damage if you're standing on it. They don't gib corpses(!), they don't do a significant amount of damage to mobs. Currently it seems like they only exist to cause damage to the station, because there is no other viable use of them.

Given that igniters aren't exactly common things (Tech storage? Autolathe?), it stands to reason that IEDs ought to be somewhat powerful. If greytide/griff is a problem, just treat them like bombs and log every explosion. Do welderbombs log explosions and notify admins? They should.

Give me back my ghetto gibbings, make them actual threats in combat, or remove them entirely. At this point I don't care, because there's no point in making them.
They don't need to gib. Just at least do SOME damage to someone 3 tiles away at bare minimum. As it stands IEDS are just annoying the admins for no good reason. If they aren't improved just let them be taken out totally.

Igniters can be found in the starting point for assistants.
Last edited by cultist-chan on Thu May 22, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #8009

I'm pretty sure IEDs haven't been changed since they were first introduced, or even at all.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
cultist-chan

Post by cultist-chan » #8010

Neerti wrote:I'm pretty sure IEDs haven't been changed since they were first introduced, or even at all.
They've been nerfed. They used to be so powerful they would gib someone.
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #8011

That was still a long time ago.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #8013

The only change to IED's that was made, as far as I can recall anyway, was removing its ability to gib dead mobs. Same with wielder tanks.

The IED has always been something you primarily used to destroy windows and other structures.
cultist-chan

Post by cultist-chan » #8016

Still, its too weak, its not even worthy of being a explosive. You're better off using a welder if you want to actually destroy windows or whatever. In its current state: remove he
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #8020

It's just a soda can with welder fuel in it I don't know why you expect it to be this minibomb or pipe bomb tier explosion.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #8032

Steelpoint wrote:The only change to IED's that was made, as far as I can recall anyway, was removing its ability to gib dead mobs. Same with wielder tanks.

The IED has always been something you primarily used to destroy windows and other structures.
Gibbing was the only reason to use it. Deconning windows has always been faster, ditto walls. Property damage 4nr is the only thing I can think of. Now that it barely even does that, let alone anything resembling a proper weapon?

Not even worth the time it takes to make, outside of running a gimmick. Mutlibelt full of 7 IEDs, box full of seven more, satchel with six sort of gimmick.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #8037

why would something that is easier to acquire and make than a potwaterbomb be more powerful than a potwaterbomb
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #8039

danno wrote:why would something that is easier to acquire and make than a potwaterbomb be more powerful than a potwaterbomb
How powerful is a potwater bomb? How much damage will it do to someone standing at the epicenter? Over 50? Crit? Gib?
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #8044

If you use bluespace beakers, Bombcap.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #8086

IEDs weren't 'nerfed'. Previously even the weakest explosion would gib someone if they were dead, which was fine since sources of explosions were few and far between.
Eventually as more sources of explosions were added, such as welderbombs, IEDs, syndigrenades, gyrojet launchers and clown farts, it became an issue that an explosion that can barely damage floor tiles would make someone blow up into bits, so long as they were dead. It also made no sense that an explosion differentiated between a live human body and a dead human body.

This was a change that effected all explosions, not just IEDs.

And that's good -- there really shouldn't be a 'ghetto body exploder'. A hand-held pocketable device that can be made by any assistant in the few or by cargo in the dozens to be used to permanently remove people from the round is awful. And unlike shoving the body in a closet or whatever, you'll always get away with it since nobody really cares or even notices gib piles.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #8088

The only situation I used them in was gibbing changelings and now I have to use the crematory or gibber which is actually a lot more fair than having some random assistant roll up on you with an IED or welderbomb because they feel cold.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #8089

While I admit to have used Wielding tanks to gib confirmed changeling's in my earlier days in Security, it was unbalanced and now having to take the changeling to a incinerator/gibber is far more balanced.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #8638

IEDs are actually terrible for blowing through windows too. It takes 2-4(haven't tested it recently) to break the brig open.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #8838

We should change ieds to act like ghetto incendiary grenades, like a petrol bomb
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #9624

That's actually an excellent idea.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #9628

I think its probably a really easy change too as the make_explosion proc has a fire range parameter
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #9711

I have said this 50 times, but incendiary grenades (and the napalm reaction) should be an explosion with just the fire part of the explosion, since right now it is so god damn awful.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #11353

I will probably open a pull after the freeze ends to make the IED a fire explosion.

lumipharon, can you expand on what you mean with your comment? Are you saying there should be no explosive force, just the fireball?
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #11943

Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #12758

I saw a revhead IED the HOP window, rush him, and kill the head before the round duration had surpassed 15 minutes.

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"