[PR][poll]Starlight changes

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

What version do you like better?

Old
7%
New version 1
17%
New version 2
76%

Total votes: 29

MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

[PR][poll]Starlight changes

Post by MrStonedOne » #130809

So i'm changing up how starlight works.
https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/12748
Gif showing old, new 1, and new 2.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Re: [PR][poll]Starlight changes

Post by Amelius » #130810

Old. Also if these new new changes go through, shadowlings definitely need some light tolerance or even maintenance will be a deathtrap.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #130813

Great addition to gameplay. Honestly, this is a bit overdue.

I prefer the one with the dim light.
Mime: Depresso
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #130817

Im gonna guess the really dim one is New 2 since they aren't labeled, and vote for that.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #130821

I like new 1
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #130825

dimmest one is cool.

does this mean that computer light is also going to be made dimmer?
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #130837

Love it, especially new 1. Makes windows to space seem practical instead of just being potentially deadly decoration.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #130838

Dimmest is the best. Old starlight is so over the top and really doesn't make darkness threatening
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #130842

it's kinda unrealistic, the stars are so far away they can't really visibly illuminate anything. if you're going with something like this then the dimmest one is probably best.

the local sun on the other hand should light up the station, unless it perpetually stays in the shadow side of the gas giant it orbits or something
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #130847

The station orbits a planet close enough to the system's star to where it can collect enough light to power all of its systems. Starlight in that case would realistically provide enough light (and radiation) for any exposed areas within the station. That being said, gameplay is more important here, so the dimmest version is best for Shadowlings.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #130848

There is already a sun tracking mechanism for the solars right?

Wouldn't it be awesome if the side exposed to the sun got lit and the rest stayed dark?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #130849

Version 2 seems more moodier.
asskek
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Asskek

Post by asskek » #130854

Dimmest is most realistic

But if we're going with lore and we are near a sun, the sort-of bright but not brightest option

edit: which considering we have solars seems to make sense
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #130857

asskek wrote:Dimmest is most realistic

But if we're going with lore and we are near a sun, the sort-of bright but not brightest option

edit: which considering we have solars seems to make sense
If its bright enough to burn Shadowlings/Shadowpeople it should be bright enough to light up areas close to windows better than a PDA light.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #130859

The station runs on solar power, dim light from the exterior makes no sense. It has to be bright.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #130861

I just checked... almost all of the starlight illuminated maintenance areas in the dimmest version are not bright enough to hurt shadowlings (but they are bright enough to hurt normal shadow people). Most of them will however be bright enough to prevent healing.

Shadow lings brightness values:
below 20%: heal
20 to 40: no heal, no damage
above 40: damage.

Sadly neither damage nor healing scale with the brightness level (like they should).

Only the tiles that are at least two tiles in of single tile wide paths surrounded on both sides with windows to space reach above 40%. Everything else hovers between 17% and 34% (of maintenance areas near a window to space).

I also went and fixed some areas of space that were stuck on 100% brightness but had tiles on them that were near the station.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #131040

Dimmest