Remove Steal Hand Teleporter, slime extract, etc objectives.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Remove Steal Hand Teleporter, slime extract, etc objectives.

Post by Helios » #134198

People care about green text during team antag rounds, and if they don't, they can or will get banned
People care about green text as traitors, if you look at how many traitors actually try to complete their objectives. So why do we have various traitor objectives that aren't a challenge, and do not make the round more interesting.
Why do we have goals that don't make the round interesting, are solved by an emag 2 minutes in, and fail to impress.
Why not have goals that are more difficult, so that if you do manage to accomplish it you feel great. As a traitor, I care more about the few times I've hijacked the shuttle then the multitude of times I stole a slime extract.

This isn't an idea I agree with fully, but I think it is worth discussing what traitor objectives mean to us as players
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Remove Steal Hand Teleporter, slime extract, etc objecti

Post by Saegrimr » #134201

Make your own fun.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #134209

some people aren't super robust and want greentext just as much as murderbone the whole shuttleman, why shouldn't they have an opportunity
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #134214

You know who found that shit more difficult than killing? Changies.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #134220

Get good
Helios

Post by Helios » #134223

iamgoofball wrote:Get good
I did, that's why steal objectives are so boring
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #134224

I agree.

Every objective should meet a "does this actually count at antagonism?" test for a non-head crewmember.

Traitor rounds already are among the least enjoyable for me and 50% of it is the fact that half of the people responsible for driving conflict in the round and creating a sufficient critical mass of chaos (IMO this is ESSENTIAL for a decent traitor round, if only one traitor is actually doing overt shit then every door he hacks, person he attacks, area he trespasses gets maximum attention from AI/borgs/sec/heads/validhunters. If you get "maximum attention" I guarantee that your round isn't going to be fun, you either camp out in some false-wall area of maint. or you get dogpiled the moment someones recognizes you. Nothing is more disgusting than doing something like stealing a sec body out of medbay and settling down in some dark corner of maint only to see 3-4 people approaching, you bust out and juke them only to see 3-4 more coming from another direction, yo go full yakety only to realize the AI has bolted every maint exit and now you've got 2 secborgs coming in behind you... one of the worst feelings in the game of when half the station hunts you down and ends your traitor round early for some middle-tier crime. Hitting that critical mass of getting the detective busy at a murder scene, HoS investigating comms, two officers reporting to a cry for help above chapel, another officer and warden responding to a perma breakin, so that maybe just MAYBE when you bash your way into xenobio for some dangerous slime cores - you don't have half the station coming to cave your head in the moment someone complains about you on radio.

Anyway I digress, encourage traitors to do traitor shit (either an act of violence or elaborate sabotage) and I would even reduce the likelihood of getting an "escape" objective and add a few more "glorious deaths".
Helios

Post by Helios » #134258

Super Aggro Crag wrote:some people aren't super robust and want greentext just as much as murderbone the whole shuttleman, why shouldn't they have an opportunity
They do, it is called holoparasites.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #134329

Helios wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:Get good
I did, that's why steal objectives are so boring
Make up your own objectives, handicap yourself, try to do your objective with only 20 c4 or somethign.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #134346

Have you tried making your own fun? Instead of trying to kill your target, protect them instead and fuck with the meta a bit. Go the extra mile and act really antagonistically and follow them constantly but always be ready to jump out with revolver in hand to save them when they're in danger or trying out a bit of roleplay, a shocking concept I know but I pride myself on being ready to face these strange and interesting ideas.

Greentext is a suggestion, not a carved in amendment to the "Ten Commandments And A Bit About This Atmosphere System Roleplaying Simulation Game" .

Or if you're really hard up, trying praying for a different objective and maybe you'll get something really fun like convince the crew they work for the Syndicate or something
Helios

Post by Helios » #134364

Anonmare wrote:Have you tried making your own fun? Instead of trying to kill your target, protect them instead and fuck with the meta a bit. Go the extra mile and act really antagonistically and follow them constantly but always be ready to jump out with revolver in hand to save them when they're in danger or trying out a bit of roleplay, a shocking concept I know but I pride myself on being ready to face these strange and interesting ideas.

Greentext is a suggestion, not a carved in amendment to the "Ten Commandments And A Bit About This Atmosphere System Roleplaying Simulation Game" .

Or if you're really hard up, trying praying for a different objective and maybe you'll get something really fun like convince the crew they work for the Syndicate or something
Read my opening post. Why should objectives matter in every other mode, be it rev or gang, and you'd be ostracized for not following through, going as far as being banned, but them not mattering as a traitor. The truth is I care about getting green text in all modes. And so do a lot of people if you look at stats and how many people actually do their objectives. If antagonists are supposed to make the round interesting how is someone stealing a hand teleporter interesting? It's not
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #134383

Oldman Robustin wrote:words
cjs im gonna venture out on a limb here and say the reason the entire crew tries to hunt you down and ruin your rounds isn't because the other taters aren't doing their jobs its because you're Oldmeme Robustin, a recognizable name and people either think you're a big threat or want to brag about taking you down.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #134461

oh my god how do people DARE to not play the way I want them to play
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #134475

I've always pictured greentext as the goal, but how I got it should be interesting [in terms of traitorling]. I always shoot for greentext, not because i'm a l33t powergamer, and certainly not because I hate 'roleplay' <implying roleplay is completely ignoring your employers who payed good money for you and the tools you're going to end up wasting by running around murderboning/ 'friendlytraitor' >. In fact, I think if you don't strive to complete your objectives someone else should join with the objective to kill you, the defected syndicate employee.

If there was no point in the objective, then just remove it and put the only objective is to 'cause havoc'.

I personally would like more conflict driven objectives like (X is a name, Y is a number)
  • Kill an entire department
  • Ensure someone is alive but brigged in the shuttle's brigging area.
  • Steal Y energy-based weaponry
  • Ensure X, a fellow syndicate agent, escapes alive // Ensure X, a fellow syndicate agent, does not escape. They may be guarded. [a person gets the first and someone else gets the second]
  • Ensure Y other agents complete their objectives.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #134482

I'm speaking from more than just my own character Crag.

I've had many memorable observation moments where a skilled antag was still put into an unwinnable situation because they were literally the only person who was doing anything antagonistic in a 30+ person round. I'm talking "Ling who takes down a warden with nothing but an armblade in maint" and the warden only has time to yell "Help" once on radio and within 30 seconds the AI had brought them up on suit sensors, gave the location to the crew, and 5+ validhunters and security flooded that section of maint and came across his hideout.

Now try the same exercise when plasma is being flooded, there are reports of a rogue borg, APC's are losing power, someone's trying to break into the armory, and a chemist is lubing escape. The AI wouldn't have the time or motivation to look up one "help" on suit sensors and there certainly wouldn't be a validhunter squad rolling in to investigate a single "help" on radio.

Obviously these are two extremes but the takeaway is that low chaos rounds are awful (re: extended) while med-high chaos is necessary for antags to be more than a loot pinata for the crew. Stealing slime extracts and hand tele's is not going to add to the chaos or encourage anyone to engage in chaotic behavior.

Yes you can "make your own objectives" but this isn't about ME trying to find purpose in a traitor round, its about telling the greentext hunters and new players that you're supposed to be an antagonist when you're selected as a traitor.
adrix89
Byond Username: Adrix89

Post by adrix89 » #134485

What the fuck?

Since when are traitors anything but griefing scum with a license to kill?
I thought easy objectives was just an excuse to blow up the station..
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #134492

Let people play antag how they want.

Also don't remove steal objectives.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #134543

honestly if it was up to me traitor objectives wouldn't even show up at round end

Just "Here's who the traitors were, here's what they bought." You still get objectives, and you're told if you completed them or not, but as traitor/ling, they don't show to the station in general.

Might discourage redtexthunting crewmembers and encourage traitors to do something actually memorable rather than brag in ooc about le ebin greentext.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #134545

>REMOVE GREENTEXT

GET OUT
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #134559

"redtexthunting" is a thing now? Really? :D

It never ceases to amaze me how people get riled up over completely rational and expected behavour. :D
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #134571

Validhunters are and always have been shitters.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #134618

ShadowDimentio wrote:>REMOVE GREENTEXT

GET OUT
There'd still be greentext it'd just be private
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #134655

I wouldn't mind some of the benign objectives being replaced with things that cause a bit more carnage. Things like releasing the singularity, ensuring a survival rate below a certain amount, killing off a specific department, etc. Deploying traitors in 2-person teams could allow for bigger objectives.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #134660

It's pretty dumb when 90% of steal objectives are for items that no one will give a fuck about getting stolen, or what no one will know or even care about being gone.

jetpacks: Assistants can walk onto the shuttle with one for zero reason and no one will bat an eye.
handtele: gets stolen by non antags 5 minutes into the round 50% of the time.
Blueprints/cap's medal etc: No reason to guard them at all - the medal is purely decorative, and the blueprints at most canbe used to rename the brig the dildo farm.
Slime core: Become a scientist/hack one door and take one of the 459387593 slime cores they have, wow.

If there was some actual reason to care about what happens to these steal objectives, then they would be interesting, but unless you're a valid hunter, sec or anyone else doesn't have a reason to actually CARE that they can, or have been stolen.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #134740

I doubt even Sec cares about slime extracts. They're not exactly illegal, nor concrete evidence of Syndicate activity.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #134755

I like the "ensure survival rate below X%", it gives you a lot of flexibility while giving you a realistic objective that promotes antagonism.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #134836

sounds like
>bomb the station
or
>release the singulo
or
>murderbone
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #134840

lumipharon wrote:sounds like
>bomb the station
or
>release the singulo
or
>murderbone
Better than traitors getting greentext and doing nothing for the rest of the round. I'm all for more volatile objectives. Put traitors in teams of 2, and give them objectives that require them to greatly disrupt the station.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #134843

Since we track station damage already, couldn't we make that an objective? It gives a lot of sandbox freedom for traitors to make/buy bombs, create chaos as a cover for bombing, atmos floods, singulo releasing, etc.
Mime: Depresso
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #134887

TheNightingale wrote:I doubt even Sec cares about slime extracts. They're not exactly illegal, nor concrete evidence of Syndicate activity.

There's a point at which there's no reason to give a shit about any thief. That point is normally reached if an hour or more passes, since so many of the station areas are open and so much gear is spread around that really it's a free for all if you want stuff. A plasma tank? A slime extract? The hypospray? There is no reason to perma anyone for having these things, and if there's no reason to perma, there's no reason to care about greentext for this.

Another thing is the hand tele. People are always taking it at roundstart, for parts or just because the AI will let you in (because there's no good reason for it not to). Strictly speaking, an assistant that grabs it should be put in perma (it's a capital crime, you could even execute for it). But would you? Hell no. Just take it back and tell him not to steal everything that isn't nailed down.

The law is better when it makes sense according to the magnitude of the crime. Traitor objectives are better when they flout the law. Someone quietly stealing a slime extract isn't fun for anyone. Not even a xenobiologist will really be that bothered.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #134926

Cheimon wrote:
TheNightingale wrote:I doubt even Sec cares about slime extracts. They're not exactly illegal, nor concrete evidence of Syndicate activity.

There's a point at which there's no reason to give a shit about any thief. That point is normally reached if an hour or more passes, since so many of the station areas are open and so much gear is spread around that really it's a free for all if you want stuff. A plasma tank? A slime extract? The hypospray? There is no reason to perma anyone for having these things, and if there's no reason to perma, there's no reason to care about greentext for this.

Another thing is the hand tele. People are always taking it at roundstart, for parts or just because the AI will let you in (because there's no good reason for it not to). Strictly speaking, an assistant that grabs it should be put in perma (it's a capital crime, you could even execute for it). But would you? Hell no. Just take it back and tell him not to steal everything that isn't nailed down.

The law is better when it makes sense according to the magnitude of the crime. Traitor objectives are better when they flout the law. Someone quietly stealing a slime extract isn't fun for anyone. Not even a xenobiologist will really be that bothered.
I would love to perma the little shits who take the hand tele, but they'll cry in adminhelp and I'll get bwoinked. If that's going to be the case, it would be much better to have all the steal objectives replaced with things that cause far more carnage.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #134957

I mean, you should totally be able to do that for the hand teleporter. It's specifically written in space law, just get the captain's approval (not strictly necessary, but it will save you hassle if you get bwoinked). If bwoinked, reply "he was found with the hand teleporter, theft of which is a capital crime in space law, so I put him in perma" and you should be free to go on your merry way. R-right?
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #135506

Steal objective are for noobs and offer nothing interesting to traitor rounds. One can even argue they take away from them. just my opinion..

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"