Changeling Overhaul

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Changeling Overhaul

Post by Xhuis » #135092

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/13138

This PR aims to bring back how changeling used to be, with a "stealthy" feel to it. You'll see abilities like Paralysis Sting and Death Sting making a return, with stuff like Arm Blade being cut from the game. Changelings also start off weak but gain two evolution points for every absorption.

A full list of changes can be found at the pull request.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Changeling Overhaul

Post by Saegrimr » #135095

Good to have you back, dude.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #135098

Xhuis ded for like, 3 days. Also, I'm willing to try anything to make pureling playable.
Doritos
Byond Username: Zaross

Post by Doritos » #135103

Whatever makes lings not un-killable gods is good with me.

At least, not at the start of the round with 0 effort.
lol
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #135107

xhuis got back up from the dead, he's a changeling!!

nah but for real this looks pretty sick, they just need an endgame (like horror form (i know this was already said on the github page but i just want to put it on the forums as well))
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #135117

welcome back fam
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #135119

10/10 great step in the right direction to making lings the stealthy antag they were supposed to be. Now we just need the side-antag thing to allow lings to spawn in any game mode.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #135120

May I suggest a purchasable evolution? How about an ability to "Prepare" a sting and make it ranged, at the cost of doubling the sting's chemical costs (so no ranged death sting memes until you're very strong to be able to tank the cost).
Say about a 3-4 tile range so it's effective but not overly strong, has potential in framing a crewmember that just so happens to be standing next to them, or taking advantage of a crowd.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #135192

I foresee that :g will fall underused because nobody wants to get memed on by other lings hungry for GENOMES.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #135196

I advise that someone par back objectives further. Stop pretending they are tator plus focus what you want them to do.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #135230

>PARASTING IS BACK

LEGENDS STATE THAT ONE DAY THE ASSBLAST WOULD FADE, AND THE GLORIOUS LIGHT OF PARASTING WOULD RETURN TO THESE LANDS. AT LAST, THAT DAY HAS COME.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #135231

Amelius wrote:Xhuis ded for like, 3 days. Also, I'm willing to try anything to make pureling playable.
For your INFORMATION, it was 13 days.
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I needed some time to rethink my stance.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #135234

I'm glad you didn't leave. You're a good coder AND a nice guy, a rare mix.

Plus shadowling is great and I'd hate to see someone bend it over a table and fuck it like they did to lings.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #135257

YES PLEASE GODDAMN
Limey wrote:its too late.
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #136097

This sounds great, making it more truthfull to the Thing. The oldlings really were something to be afraid of and caused wide paranoia, we really need that fear back and I think this is a right step in the good direction for that.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #136114

ShadowDimentio wrote:>PARASTING IS BACK
We've come full circle.
Mime: Depresso
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #136922

Sorry, but this ain't happening. I was tired of fixing merge conflicts twice a week and I've been getting a lot of flak by people rather than suggestions on how to improve it.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #136924

Xhuis listen to me.
You are the only hope for tgstation changeling right now.
People are fucking stupid cunts and don't know what they're saying and I bet they've hardly ever played changeling.
Get it merge ready and i'll get myself banned from coderbus shilling it for merging.
One more time.

[youtube]FGBhQbmPwH8[/youtube]
I play Boris Pepper.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #136927

Any good thing is worth fighting for, or whatever.

The changes proposed I think will be a net positive to the game mode, aside from this the only fate of Changeling is its removal.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #136928

YOU'RE THE CHOSEN ONE, XHUIS! YOU HAVE THE POWER TO SAVE LINGS!
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #136997

Hey xhuis, if you're totally abandoning this project, do you think you could post a "To-Do" list of things you still need to tweak/add to it?
From what I can tell, this is pretty much finished aside from...

Conflicts (Duh)
The proposed idea of making wasting toxin scale damage up over time.
Minor coding tweaks (the ++ thing and using world.time for horror form).
Possible horror form changes, including (but not limited to)...
Removing ventcrawling from horror form, replacing it with the ability to smash walls. (Shouldn't be that hard, hopefully)
Restoration of the arm blade (NOT the power, just the item (should be easy, it's just re-adding code that already exists)).
Possibly readding hallucination sting? Maybe with tweaks? (This is up to the developer)
An objectives overhaul (This is the only one I'm not sure about)

This is assuming what you already have written works and is done. If this is all correct, this project shouldn't be that hard to pick up...
Spoiler:
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #137002

I feel like you should just do the overhaul then add the horror form later.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #137025

Please give changling UI icons like wizard with it's spells, fuck the tab menu's this is 2015 not 2006
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #137115

Fine, I'll continue this. Will talk more when I'm home.
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #137135

Paralysis Sting
Welcome back Easyling.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #137146

RG4 wrote:
Paralysis Sting
Welcome back Easyling.
I feel parasting is fine, but that the ling should do work to get it. So gate it behind requiring a certain number of absorbs.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #137151

I am seriously worried about Changeling becoming hardmode after this. How well are the average players going to be able handling playing Changeling well? Not everyone has the refined, skilled hands of a seasoned veteran player.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #137152

RG4 wrote:
Paralysis Sting
Welcome back Easyling.
Parasting works on a delay now and warns the victim after the sting. It also costs all of your available DNA points at the start, meaning you can't mutesting then parasting until you absorb a few people.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #137154

Gun Hog wrote:I am seriously worried about Changeling becoming hardmode after this. How well are the average players going to be able handling playing Changeling well? Not everyone has the refined, skilled hands of a seasoned veteran player.
Look at where nuke ops is now due to that mindset.

Please no.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #137237

>Parasting is back

FUCK THIS
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #137264

Takeguru wrote:>Parasting is back

FUCK THIS
kindly read the fucking post
it gives you a BIG RED MESSAGE that says HEY IDIOT YOU'VE BEEN PARASTUNG YOU'RE GONNA FREEZE UP IN A FEW SECONDS BETTER RUN
its not even remotely close to the original parasting, this version is outclassed by a stunbaton, even in terms of subtlety

now would you not be a fucking idiot and actually read what the proposed changes are
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #137272

Ignore everything that guy has to say about parasting

He got dunked once by it or something and still feels the assblast. Ever since he's has a vendetta out for it, even with it neutered like this

But yeah I'm kinda apprehensive about the nerf. I liked the idea of lings being unbeatable in single combat, but if they got caught in the middle of eating some guy they'd be out of tricks and have to run. It's the way Goon does it, and it's great there.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #137684

Maybe put in a less expensive stamina over time sting?

Either make it outpace stamina regen or disable the regen to slowly build up stamina damage. Not enough to stun alone but enough the make people more fragile than they think and be masked behind other attacks maybe building up to 40 stamina or so.

Dual purpose budget hunting tool and tricking mouth breathing idiots who think they should duel lings with their bare fists into thinking they stand a chance.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #137713

Mutesting + stunprod will be the go-to meta and that's okay.
I play Boris Pepper.