Fusion!

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Silavite
Byond Username: Silavite

Fusion!

Post by Silavite » #140476

Despite the fact that this is being removed temporary due to bugs it has caused (burning through burn chamber floor, causing negative % gasses), what do y'all think of the new fusion thing?
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Re: Fusion!

Post by CPTANT » #140601

I am not really sure what a good application for it would be. If used to spread destruction it will just melt through the floors and it seems rather hard to sustain in the turbine to produce power.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #140602

If it got fixed it could be good for making hot gases and power generation. Would be good if we could make TEGs so I can indulge my inner autist.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #140614

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak gases stronger.
killerx09
Byond Username: Killerx09

Post by killerx09 » #141424

Made a fusion cannister that had a pressure of 2x10^13 kPA and a temperature of 1x10^11 Celsius, used it to kill the rampaging Alien Queen. Feels good man.

I still honestly don't know what non-traitor function Fusion is supposed to fulfil though.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #141432

killerx09 wrote:Made a fusion cannister that had a pressure of 2x10^13 kPA and a temperature of 1x10^11 Celsius, used it to kill the rampaging Alien Queen. Feels good man.

I still honestly don't know what non-traitor function Fusion is supposed to fulfil though.
I'm an atmos god but I suck at toxins.
Please share your wisdom.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #141433

Fusion occurs when plasma and Co2 get hot enough to fuse.

If you do plasmic fusion in the atmos room, it heats up all the outgoing air so much that it will kill the entire station once the super-hot air goes through the vents.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #141437

I know how fusion occurs, but I can't for the life of me make the gas hot enough without instantly suiciding.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #141438

It's like 300000 kelvin or some stupidly high shit. I'm not sure if it's even possible without having a plasma fire and max upgraded space heaters and gas heaters going on at the same time.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
as334
Byond Username: As334
Github Username: as334

Post by as334 » #141440

At the moment fusions main non-antag function is in power generation, but as we expand more function onto the atmos system it'll be a pre-requisite for a lot of the higher energy reactions.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #141442

as334 wrote: higher energy reactions.
as334 wrote: higher
You really do want an atmos nuke to be a thing, don't you?
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #141443

It just melts the floor away every time I try to use it for power.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
killerx09

Post by killerx09 » #141449

DemonFiren wrote:
killerx09 wrote:Made a fusion cannister that had a pressure of 2x10^13 kPA and a temperature of 1x10^11 Celsius, used it to kill the rampaging Alien Queen. Feels good man.

Fill can at 9000 kPa with 70/30 plasma/oxygen mix
Heat to 100 Celsius
Unwrench from port.
Wait a good 5-10 minutes.
Tadaa.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #141450

Yesterday I was shadowling in a traitor round and thralled a traitor atmos tech who was dragging a canister. He asked if he could burn medbay. I said sure.

Two minutes later he released his canister in the hall outside medbay and the heat it generated was so bad it ate through the floors within like a 10-10 area around it while the heat went through the fucking walls, killing everyone on that half of the station. I died, he died, everyone, even normally temperature immune robots died.

Not to mention that apparently before it was nerfed or something some powerful atmos wizards created a mix so cold it killed you through space suits.

As hilarious as this is, it's dumb. Please remove.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
killerx09

Post by killerx09 » #141451

ShadowDimentio wrote:Yesterday I was shadowling in a traitor round and thralled a traitor atmos tech who was dragging a canister. He asked if he could burn medbay. I said sure.

Two minutes later he released his canister in the hall outside medbay and the heat it generated was so bad it ate through the floors within like a 10-10 area around it while the heat went through the fucking walls, killing everyone on that half of the station. I died, he died, everyone, even normally temperature immune robots died.

Not to mention that apparently before it was nerfed or something some powerful atmos wizards created a mix so cold it killed you through space suits.

As hilarious as this is, it's dumb. Please remove.
Funnily enough, if you make the version that dosn't breach the floors the mix becomes even worse, because space vents out the superheated gas.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #141456

killerx09 wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:

Heat to 100 Celsius
Unwrench from port.
Tadaa.
The old in-can heating trick, yes, I remember that one...ah, did it ever cross purity threshold and blow up in your face?
If not, you're a goddamn genius. Thanks, I've been fucking around with the mixing chamber and heat exchangers.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
killerx09

Post by killerx09 » #141458

DemonFiren wrote:
killerx09 wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:

Heat to 100 Celsius
Unwrench from port.
Tadaa.
The old in-can heating trick, yes, I remember that one...ah, did it ever cross purity threshold and blow up in your face?
If not, you're a goddamn genius. Thanks, I've been fucking around with the mixing chamber and heat exchangers.
Nah, I'm pretty sure the inside is made out of unobtainium. Not once did it blow up on me.
Also, if you don't want to make a floor breach, make sure all the plasma is gone in the cannister.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #141459

I am in lust with you, amigo.

It's time to become Lizard Pete.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #141610

ShadowDimentio wrote:Not to mention that apparently before it was nerfed or something some powerful atmos wizards created a mix so cold it killed you through space suits.
It was so cold that if you died to it, your ghost suffered the slow down.
duncathan
Byond Username: Dunc
Github Username: duncathan

Post by duncathan » #141852

ShadowDimentio wrote: As hilarious as this is, it's dumb. Please remove.
Not happening. We'll fix it though, don't worry.
Players can and will create their own fun.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #141853

it should melt walls

all it needs is to be harder to do imo, as it is it's supertrivial to both make the gas mix and let it simmer. the gestation time until it's as hot as the core of a star is also pretty low.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #141859

I have to say that I also find it peculiar that a cannister is able to withstand a fusion reaction taking place inside.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #141864

ye. it should probably require a chamber made out of R-walls or something.

the atmos system was obviously not made to handle such ridiculous temperatures. when a can of it is opened it should probably just vaporize all the flooring, walls, airlocks for like 20 tiles

obviously this is a bad idea because it's just way too easy to melt the entire station with zero effort but it breaks muh immersion a little bit when all it does is shatter windows (well, aside from the effect on people)

there should probably be an environment shield suit manufacturable by R&D that can handle the temperatures or something too, as even the atmos hardsuit doesn't help against the insane temperature spike of being anywhere near the canister when it breaks.

basically fusion needs more of a framework to help it be a feature that's for anything but a few laughs once or twice or to make an unfixable atmos loop for atmostraitors (something that really was pretty much already possible anyway..)

atmos really needs more powerful machines that can actually fix stuff like this, as it is once it's released anywhere or into the atmos system it's basically GGWP as i can't imagine the volume pumps cleaning that stuff out of the distro in less than a geological era.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #141959

Fusion should be a lot more destructive. It's cool, but I can't think of a lot of practical uses for it other than easy maxcap bombs and turbine burn mixes. I'd also like to see some kind of engine that revolves around it. After all, fusion is the holy grail of renewable energy research, and would instantly solve virtually every environmental problem we have.
duncathan

Post by duncathan » #142119

There are plans to add ways to build thermal exchange generators for atmos techs. Power supply from one of those puppies with fusion involved will be awesome.
metacide
Byond Username: Metacide

Post by metacide » #143626

Looks like a meme insta-death-or-close-to-it traitor addition that's pretty destructive and doesn't make much sense. Who coded this and how'd it get past maintainers? As amusing as a surprise release of 4.6 quadrillion Pa superheated gas from a canister is, it's pretty stupid.

Would be neat to see some engine using it one day, but that sounds like a long-off pipe dream. At least make it require super-heavy reinforced canisters and balance it properly in the meantime.
MetaStation is currently running by vote or by default on both Sibyl and Basil
Feedback and suggestions are welcome in the MetaStation thread
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #143634

Please don't "fix" this by removing in-canister burning.
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #143637

Anything that adds new stuff for atmos techs to play with is always good since there is only so much you can do
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #144443

Today the CE put so much pressure/temperature into the turbine with fusion that it stopped being able to generate power.
Fusion is pretty fucking silly.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
duncathan

Post by duncathan » #144611

Please use the issue tracker to report bugs so we can find them easier

Also so we can get those sweet cheribucks
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #144616

I would, but I'm not the one that understands how it works, the CE is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Spoiler:
killerx09

Post by killerx09 » #144696

Made a fusion flamethrower that melted any floor tile it touched, and was a guranteed death if you touched it. Was fun, but I have no success trying to replicate it.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #144697

killerx09 wrote:Made a fusion flamethrower that melted any floor tile it touched, and was a guranteed death if you touched it. Was fun, but I have no success trying to replicate it.
easy to replicate, just fuse a cannister and heat exchange it with a plasma cannister, fill a flamethrower with the extremely hot pure plasma.

correction: this completely causes the flamethrower to bug out
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #144720

Doesn't really seem to be worth having in the game in its current state.

At least we've had several weeks of gameplay without bombs though.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #144746

CPTANT wrote:
killerx09 wrote:Made a fusion flamethrower that melted any floor tile it touched, and was a guranteed death if you touched it. Was fun, but I have no success trying to replicate it.
easy to replicate, just fuse a cannister and heat exchange it with a plasma cannister, fill a flamethrower with the extremely hot pure plasma.

holy christ, if you made a heat transfer loop with a fusion canister and handcuffed somebody and buckled them to the pipe, would they just die instantly?
Spoiler:
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #144749

PKPenguin321 wrote:
CPTANT wrote:

holy christ, if you made a heat transfer loop with a fusion canister and handcuffed somebody and buckled them to the pipe, would they just die instantly?
The heat damage max seems to be pretty low. You even survive in temperatures of 10^10 for a while.

In other news: Now reactions take place in pipes basically every mix of oxygen and plasma above 100 degrees is going to fuse. this basically makes the pressure and temperature go to >10^10 pa and fucks up the pipe for the rest of the match because no pump can remove that amount of gas.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #144785

I've never been able to fill a tank from a fusion canister, the insane pressure and heat bugs it out, and opening the valve does nothing. Even if there's no tank inside, gas won't leak out with the valve open.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #144790

Lets face it, the only word that can be used to describe fusion is "broken".

It fucks up basically EVERY atmos function.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #144796

Another fun fact:

Any CO2/Plasma mixture which has O2 present but in less than 10% will spontaneously fuse
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #144907

CPTANT wrote: In other news: Now reactions take place in pipes basically every mix of oxygen and plasma above 100 degrees is going to fuse. this basically makes the pressure and temperature go to >10^10 pa and fucks up the pipe for the rest of the match because no pump can remove that amount of gas.
Weird that this has been readded. I remember burning in pipes having been removed. You could do some really crazy stuff with this even before fusion was a thing and honestly, I wasn't sad to see it go. Without the pipe magic you had to at least build/use some infrastructure to get any meaningful reaction going.
killerx09

Post by killerx09 » #144910

There's a sweet spot where the temperature isn't high enough for fusion to occur and the flamethrower still fires, that was what i'm trying to replicate.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #144915

Just hooked a fusion cannister to the atmos system and burned the entire station to a crisp.

Set the vents to expel and just watched the beautiful pressure wave obliterate every window on the station plus 90% of the crew.

Kek.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #144917

CPTANT wrote:Just hooked a fusion cannister to the atmos system and burned the entire station to a crisp.

Kek.
How do I do this as AI? I keep melting the mix tank by accident, and it purges all my gas.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #144918

Gun Hog wrote:
CPTANT wrote:Just hooked a fusion cannister to the atmos system and burned the entire station to a crisp.

Kek.
How do I do this as AI? I keep melting the mix tank by accident, and it purges all my gas.
I don't really think you can without a borg. But 1 engineering borg can do it extremely easy.

You can abuse the cold fusion bug and start a fusion reaction in the main atmos pipes though.