Mining discussion and poll

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

How do you feel about (new) mining

The Mining system is perfect as is.
2%
2%
2%
Bring back old mining
10%
Bring back old mining
10%
Bring back old mining
10%
Bring back some old features as CC discusses below
15%
15%
15%
Other (Please explain your postion)
2%
2%
2%
I just want to abstain
4%
I just want to abstain
4%
I just want to abstain
4%

Total votes: 48

cultist-chan
Byond Username: Corruptroulette

Mining discussion and poll

Post by cultist-chan » #10213

Recently I've been getting back into playing mining. Needless to say it's not as I expected, it isn't relaxing (like old mining) nor is it exciting as new mining should be. Here's some points I would like to bring up with new mining
  • The eastern asteroid ( such as it is has no minerals worth mining
  • Minerals such as Plasma, Uranium, and Silver are now more rare than diamonds ever were in old mining (Even on the west asteroid). Forget about getting enough for R&D to make X-Ray lasers
  • The introduction of "mining scanners": Basically you cannot see minerals any more, you have to click the scanner every five seconds
  • The introduction of mining scanners, the nerf of minerals, and no meson scanners has ruined the labor camp.
    • Detainees (people put in the labor camp) will sometimes go through a wall and ruin the labor camps oxygen supply
    • Detainees can't see what minerals there are
  • Ripleys have become useless
  • There's never enough minerals for robotics

Anyways that's just the tip of the iceberg so far as my complaints go with new mining.

Here's my thoughts on how we can improve it without annoying New mining players too much

• Add artifacts to new mining due to the increased danger level
  • Bring back old mesons, do away with mining scanners.
  • Introduce equal amounts of minerals in old mining areas (east) and new mining (west) asteroid areas and the prison areas. Allow each group their own play-style. This will also fix the labor camp problem of not having enough minerals.
  • Re-introduce Veins in both mining areas

Those suggestions, while limited in scope will help both "factions" of old and new mining join their houses, perhaps in marriage. It will also make science and other officers very happy (in my opinion). Thoughts? Suggestions?
[center]
Edit a good suggestion
[/center]

OOC: Laharl Montgommery: An idea: be able to use Mob drops as materials for science.
OOC: Laharl Montgommery: Goliath Plates could use the researching, basilisc does that (imagine it hit drops a basilisc eye)
OOC: Laharl Montgommery: Something else that could make mining better is an expanded construction system.
OOC: Laharl Montgommery: AKA stuff you can actually build from using the materials.

* IE you could be able to build things using the parts and peices of mobs. For example a Goliath plate space suit or armor. Or perhaps a balisk armor or lazer beam. Something to that effect. In addition allow R&D to use parts for research...

Shadow made a good suggestion to put R&D into Mining. This would be pretty awesome.
http://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 213#p10345
Last edited by cultist-chan on Sat May 31, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Re: Mining discussion and poll

Post by Incomptinence » #10220

Pretty sure there is a feedback on this, just wanna note that if you do away with mining scanners mining bot needs a change to his dump ore control since that depends on it right now.
cultist-chan

Post by cultist-chan » #10223

Incomptinence wrote:Pretty sure there is a feedback on this, just wanna note that if you do away with mining scanners mining bot needs a change to his dump ore control since that depends on it right now.
Maybe just name it the dump switch? I think a poll is more constructive than people complaining about it. I can't find the feedback thread. If it already has a poll then I'll delete this thread
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #10227

putting equal amounts of minerals in each asteroid and then only putting monsters in the west asteroid is a terrible idea.
(east asteroid needs more minerals than it has right now tho)
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
cultist-chan

Post by cultist-chan » #10228

Miauw wrote:putting equal amounts of minerals in each asteroid and then only putting monsters in the west asteroid is a terrible idea.
Why? If Old mining and new mining are supposed to be both fun playstyles and that both are supposed to be fun, the old mining style is ruined. Why should one be favored over the other?
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #10230

cultist-chan wrote:
Miauw wrote:putting equal amounts of minerals in each asteroid and then only putting monsters in the west asteroid is a terrible idea.
Why? If Old mining and new mining are supposed to be both fun playstyles and that both are supposed to be fun. Why should one be favored over the other?
because then nobody will ever do old mining you buttlord. It's fucking obvious.

also there's not even a poll option for trying to fix newmining, what a terrible thread.
if you change balance and make the ripley actually worth something it could be cool.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
cultist-chan

Post by cultist-chan » #10233

Miauw wrote:
cultist-chan wrote:
Why? If Old mining and new mining are supposed to be both fun playstyles and that both are supposed to be fun. Why should one be favored over the other?
because then nobody will ever do old mining you buttlord. It's fucking obvious.

also there's not even a poll option for trying to fix newmining, what a terrible thread.
if you change balance and make the ripley actually worth something it could be cool.
    • First. Name calling: Don't. It isn't a good way to get your point across. It causes me to have a severe loss respect for your argument and your character.
    • Second You mean new mining, if nobody would do new mining then it means there is something wrong with new mining. It shouldn't need extra rewards that makes it better to entice people to be there.
    • Third there is "Other" button.
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #10234

nobody will do new mining if the gains are equal but new mining is harder. as i said, it's obvious.

and your poll is retarded, as I said. the first option is a strawman, the other two options are basically "revert" and then there's an other option and we all know that these options never do shit.
cultist-chan

Post by cultist-chan » #10236

Miauw wrote:nobody will do new mining if the gains are equal but new mining is harder. as i said, it's obvious.

and your poll is retarded, as I said. the first option is a strawman, the other two options are basically "revert" and then there's an other option and we all know that these options never do shit.
Okay so how would you suggest I do "the poll".

The first option is not a strawman. There really are people that like new mining. I don't see how that concerts a strawman argument. If i changed the subject to hot wings. It would look like this

Do you like /tg/station's current hot wings
    • Yes I like them as they are
    • No bring back our old wing formula
    • Cultist Chan's suggestion sounds good
    • I have another opinion, I should state it
    • I'm Ikkarus and I have not tried hot wings.

My suggestion is and was a compromise.In the new proposal, I never said do away with new mining . It in fact tries to marry new miners and old miners... I only wish to see this wedding to be a good one, within budget, and blessed by reverend Ian.
Last edited by cultist-chan on Sat May 31, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #10240

I honestly dislike the east asteroid having no minerals so I might make it so low_chance mineral turfs have a chance to spawn plasma and uranium because those aren't exactly super high demand minerals and they should be abundant in the first place, at least plasma should.

Also take a note out of the NT book and just up the droprates like I did, I haven't heard complaints from the miners except about mesons which I plan on reverting to the old style on NT this week. The scanner is okay and I like pinging but not when everything is dark as fuck and fuckhueg range goliaths tentacle hentai you crossmap 420 noscope before you even see them.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #10270

cultist-chan wrote:Detainees (people put in the labor camp) will sometimes go through a wall and ruin the labor camps oxygen supply
This is incorrect: mesons DO show where the space starts.

IMO mining scanner should be merged into mesons; as in, as long as you are wearing mesons you are always seeing minerals. I think that change to them not lighting up everything is good, seeing how 1) They can now be used in maint to detect people and 2) There is an upgraded version, bug R&D
cultist-chan

Post by cultist-chan » #10284

Kelenius wrote:
cultist-chan wrote:Detainees (people put in the labor camp) will sometimes go through a wall and ruin the labor camps oxygen supply
This is incorrect: mesons DO show where the space starts.

IMO mining scanner should be merged into mesons; as in, as long as you are wearing mesons you are always seeing minerals. I think that change to them not lighting up everything is good, seeing how 1) They can now be used in maint to detect people and 2) There is an upgraded version, bug R&D
I'm not sure on this. BUT they still do light up maint. Also I'll have to check to see if mesons can see space instead of rock though I'm pretty sure they can't...

Edit

You were right! You can see space. Thanks for correcting me and my misinformation.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #10345

I want mining scanner pinging to never interrupt mining, so you can just hold, say, W and constantly ping for resource locations and slowly mine your way there.

The second idea is one that's been in desperate need of happening for a long, long time: Move R&D to the asteroid.

The main mining base can be re-mapped (mining base really deserves re-mapping, but that's another point) into having two shuttle docks, and science can get a new pod to go there, located at science, effectively on the opposite side of the station as the cargo pod.

The new section of the main mining base would have the ore redemption machine (the miners could access it, though, similarly to how it is now), all of R&D, and maybe a spare room for if robotics decides to move there. The scientists could access the 'general area' of mining, which would include the dorms, small medbay, smelter, and an airlock to the east and west asteroid. The space suits for the miners would be more secured, and behind a door the scientists couldn't open. The scientists would either have to get access, or get a suit from EVA if the miners are being a shit and they have to go mine. In the event the scientists are being shit, the miners can get R&D access from the HoP, and access R&D on the asteroid that way.

Honestly, at least one of the two parties (R&D or mining) are eternally damned to be shit. So, why not let one party do all the work? Problem solved.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
cultist-chan

Post by cultist-chan » #10368

ShadowDimentio wrote:I want mining scanner pinging to never interrupt mining, so you can just hold, say, W and constantly ping for resource locations and slowly mine your way there.

The second idea is one that's been in desperate need of happening for a long, long time: Move R&D to the asteroid.

The main mining base can be re-mapped (mining base really deserves re-mapping, but that's another point) into having two shuttle docks, and science can get a new pod to go there, located at science, effectively on the opposite side of the station as the cargo pod.

The new section of the main mining base would have the ore redemption machine (the miners could access it, though, similarly to how it is now), all of R&D, and maybe a spare room for if robotics decides to move there. The scientists could access the 'general area' of mining, which would include the dorms, small medbay, smelter, and an airlock to the east and west asteroid. The space suits for the miners would be more secured, and behind a door the scientists couldn't open. The scientists would either have to get access, or get a suit from EVA if the miners are being a shit and they have to go mine. In the event the scientists are being shit, the miners can get R&D access from the HoP, and access R&D on the asteroid that way.

Honestly, at least one of the two parties (R&D or mining) are eternally damned to be shit. So, why not let one party do all the work? Problem solved.

Good idea. I'll add it to my list of things that would be cool. It wouldn't fix mining ITSELF... but its a great idea and deserves to be added.

Edit miss-read something
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #10371

https://github.com/NTStation/NTstation13/pull/665

Coming soon, mining scanners working as t-ray scanners and auto-pinging minerals around you so mining as a borg/in a mech isn't hitler.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
cultist-chan

Post by cultist-chan » #10389

paprika wrote:https://github.com/NTStation/NTstation13/pull/665

Coming soon, mining scanners working as t-ray scanners and auto-pinging minerals around you so mining as a borg/in a mech isn't hitler.

NORMAL CHANCE ASTEROID TURF MINERAL RATE REELED BACK A BIT (IT WAS A BIT TOO MINERAL-RICH EVERY TIME I ITESTED)

Pinging scanners would be nice but we need more minerals.
Last edited by cultist-chan on Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #10393

You're referring to /tg/. NT is still higher than /tg/.
cultist-chan

Post by cultist-chan » #10397

paprika wrote:You're referring to /tg/. NT is still higher than /tg/.
Oh I thought you were changing it for /tg/. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Those scanners would really be nice on /tg/station too.