Monkeys have been nerfed into complete shit

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Monkeys have been nerfed into complete shit

Post by Helios » #152910

Monkeys used to be able to instant vent crawl anywhere else, as all vents gave you a list of every single other vent, and let you teleport there.
Then there was an atmos change, and vent crawling is affected by atmos pressure, every other vent crawler is immune to it but monkeys, so most of the time monkeys are killed within a minute of being in a vent.
Vent crawling recently got a vision nerf.
There was one monkey buff, allowing them to use medical supplies, but a while ago removing monkey brains was removed.
Monkeys are a big legacy thing, and are way way old in the code, I think they could use some love.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Re: Monkeys have been nerfed into complete shit

Post by Luke Cox » #152911

Who the fuck thought any of those changes were good ideas?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #152912

Helios wrote:every other vent crawler is immune to it but monkeys
Nah man.
But never crawl into scrubbers. Did that as a xenomorph after growing not realizing that toxins caught fire and had siphoned. Burnt up real quick. Suffocated in one too as a spider. Not sure if it was from oxyloss or low pressure damage since it was empty.

The only other ventcrawlers you gotta watch for are robotic ones. The days of instant vent crawling are likely gone.
Luke Cox wrote:Who the fuck thought any of those changes were good ideas?
Because it was kind of dumb just having a huge fucking list of places to teleport to. Crawling around inside the vents is kind of novel and a balancing factor. You can actually trap things now, and seal off other areas before they just teleport right into the armory and back in your face full of gun. Now even if nobody has actually seen you, if you flop around inside the pipes in public areas someone might hear you and cause people to panic.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #152913

The problem with the ventilation system is that it was never designed to be manually entered and travelled in, right now its optimised more for the mappers and atmo techs than for actual gameplay balance.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #152914

Maybe its because I mainly do atmos that the pipe network on box seems fine to me. Only thing it could use is an actual circular loop around central halls instead of the weird branching thing it does to the upload and cap's office.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #152941

Also can't shoot guns or more importantly use wizards staffs. Pretty unfun being a monkey getting the staff/wand of change and still being screwed because you can't retaliate even though you still have drat hands.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #153011

There should just be a few loops on the main pipes. Doesn't need to be much, 3 or so would already be a lot better.

Also makes the atmos system a bit more robust.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #153012

can fat people still swallow monkeys whole :monkey: :monkey: :monkey:
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #153015

Yes but its considerably harder to get fat that i've noticed.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #153021

you must be doing it wrong, i eat a single food and become obese every shift since they made hunger never happen
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #153039

New ventcrawling mechanics have been good. Teleportation by vent was weird, whereas moving stealthily around and being heard/detected/sealed off adds interesting gameplay depth (and actual travel time). Vision changes make sense too.

What monkeys could use is a MUCH WEAKER version of alien leaping/slime attaching, that would let them jump onto people and stab them. They'd have to be disarmed to fall off, and people attempting to shoot/hurt the monkey would risk hurting the person they're climbing on (by misclicking rather than RNG). If lots of monkeys jumped onto one person, it would be very dangerous, just like in real life, but it wouldn't stun them or anything. Just make them much harder to fight. Fun, thematic, and deadly.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #153042

The problem with the current ventcrawling is that monkeys take damage from the pressure inside the pipes (as well as, somehow, not being able to breathe inside the distro pipes); this means a changeling who takes Lesser Form must spam Fleshmend in order to survive as a monkey in the vents.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #153052

The sight changes were a bad move.

Changelings or aliens suddenly jumping from the vents to kill you was a good feature.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #153053

Aliens already have thermal vision basically.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #153055

here's how to make monkeys good again, let them have a single power accessible to them, telekinesis.
They should be able to also talk with telekinesis.
Here's what an average round would look like with this change
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #153056

Shift ventcrawling to dispoals.

let some creatures use disposals for movement, but if anything gets flushed down disposals, it hits the ventcrawler as if it was thrown.
Mime: Depresso
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #153067

Not being able to see humans from vents is a huge nerf to swarmers too, expecially since they die in a couple hits. Now every time you crawl out of a vent it's a cointoss
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #153086

invisty wrote:Shift ventcrawling to dispoals.

let some creatures use disposals for movement, but if anything gets flushed down disposals, it hits the ventcrawler as if it was thrown.
"; ROGUE MONKEYS!!"

//disposals a million glass shards
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #153088

M O N K E Y S W I T H G U N S W H E N ?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler: