Utter lack of AI

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Utter lack of AI

Post by InsaneHyena » #156046

Man, it feels great. No more captain robocoping/valadining it to hunt antags, no more validhunting silicons tipping off security to everything, no more "AI OPEN!!!!111" every fucking second in the radio.
Bring back papercult.

Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Re: Utter lack of AI

Post by Jazaen » #156054

Hey, is it permament, "test" ("We will remove it if no one likes it" like goofchem) or test?
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #156060

An actual test.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #156082

>No more dynamic roles

Seriously, anti-AI circlejerk is by far the most retarded shit I have ever seen in this community. I'm a sec player who gets pissed off by the AI frequently but I think removing it entirely is beyond retarded.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #156091

Luke Cox wrote:Seriously, anti-AI circlejerk is by far the most retarded shit I have ever seen in this community.
100% agree. This is the stupidest fucking thing I have ever seen in my goddamn life. What in the absolute fuck are you thinking.

It's disgusting that a small crowd of crybabies can strongarm their way into something like this.

Congrats on ruining the game. I hope you're happy.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #156095

it's the same group of faggots who want cloning nuked. "my round is ruined because i'm shit at antag, nerf everything and make me more powerful".
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #156099

Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #156102

oranges wrote:https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5923

It's only one week, you won't die.
There is absolutely no reason for this to be happening.
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #156103

Yes, I think it will improve the game, so I am running a scientific test.

After which I will take feedback and look to make changes or adjust the AI.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #156109

oranges wrote:Yes, I think it will improve the game, so I am running a scientific test.

After which I will take feedback and look to make changes or adjust the AI.

If you'd prefer next time I will just remove the AI outright, without any warning.
Myself and several other people have vehemently disagreed with you on this point. The AI is something that makes Space Station 13 what it is. Removing it is akin to cutting out the heart. You are trying to solve problems that don't exist with solutions that are the equivalent of dropping a nuke on an anthill.

If you think the AI is too powerful, buff antagonists with more ways to circumvent the AI. Security cameras have been nerfed to the point where they're basically useless, the follow link lag is a significant nerf that's made it incredibly difficult to respond to incidents in a timely manner. If you're tired of captains Robocopping the AI at roundstart, ahelp it. I've done that myself on multiple occasions.

Kneejerk reactions to remove significant parts of the game are not and have never been acceptable.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #156112

There is no kneejerk reaction, you need to slow your roll man.

I'm testing the game without an AI for a SINGLE WEEK, your extreme hyperbole and reaction to this is not giving me any confidence in getting valid feedback from you.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #156114

What the actual shit is everyone so ass pulverized over? Calm the fucking shit down. I don't really think removing the Ai is the answer either but if you really believe the Ai is a good addition to the game then what the fuck do you have to worry about? The test will end and it will be added back. Are you just horrified that people might actually think it is fun?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #156116

I'm trying to keep this conversation civil and I'd appreciate a similar level of decorum from anyone else who would like to give their input.
oranges wrote:There is no kneejerk reaction, you need to slow your roll man.

I'm testing the game without an AI for a SINGLE WEEK, your extreme hyperbole and reaction to this is not giving me any confidence in getting valid feedback from you.
Your policy thread on the removal has been active for less than a week and the poll is (currently) favoring removal by four votes. This isn't a debate about what does and does not constitute a kneejerk reaction, but this decision that affects a core component of the game was made entirely too hastily.

The manner in which this change was strong-armed into effect is outside the scope of this discussion, my apologies. But don't you dare dismiss my words as hyperbole.

Here's what the next week of Space Station 13 will look like:
  • The singularity and/or Tesla will break containment far more often
  • Murderous antags will rampage freely after disabling the communication consoles
  • Hull breaches, especially those caused by space dust will go unnoticed for several incredibly crucial minutes
  • Whole sections of the station will lose power as mice chew through wires without notice
  • Greytide will double now that assistants can't law two their way into EVA or tech storage
  • Security will be able to freely execute their prisoners with impunity
As I've stated before, the AI has been nerfed repeatedly over the last several months:
  • Follow links had an artificial lag added
  • Cameras have become much easier to disable
  • The Box AI sat is much easier to breach (but I'm not sure if that's intentional)
EDIT: There are a handful of active proposals at the moment that are direct challenges to the AI: I'll also add that I personally greatly enjoy playing the AI. When given enough time to play the game at something resembling a normal pace, being able to role play as the computer is a fun, creative outlet for me (thus my heated feedback).
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #156123

how is the chameleon kit opposing the AI it's for fooling greyshits
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #156124

Thanks for seeing the future. Now we can see it play out over the next week like adults and actually see first hand if you're right or wrong.
All this talk of 'hurr assblasted minority forcing a change' is hugely ironic considering how assblasted some of THOSE people are sounding over a temporary change of a single server config option.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #156127

Look I get that people are upset about the poll etc, can we please move on from that to proper feedback.

Lets not make this an anti ai vs ai player thread.

I want to get some real understandable results out of this.
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #156134

Well, so far... Nothing really. If you follow someone into a room that has no doors, you are trapped, but that's about it.
I play:
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
AngryTurnip
Byond Username: AngryTurnip

Post by AngryTurnip » #156178

So the way it's currently working is that the heads of staff all have a device that lets them operate doors like an AI. The problem with this is that they don't have lawsets that keep them from bolting people like the mime into a room with no way out, which is exactly what happened to me.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #156196

So what you're saying is... if you trespass as a mime you might actually have some repercussions?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #156210

I think his problem was getting locked in a room with no way to get out ever without ghosting, which shouldn't really be something that should happen.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #156211

Or just like, pda/ask on radio for help?

If there is ACTUALLY no way to get out/call for help (ie: locked in a windowless room with no headset/unconscious due to n2o etc, then you can ahelp that assuming it was a non anag that did it.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #156214

You ask Captain, HoP or HoS to open the gateway they never do it, now that the AI is gone, the gateway is closed forever
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #156215

You CAN PDA people, but you don't know if you're PDAing people who either can't get to you, don't care about you, or will have their PDA messenger off due to round events. It's really not TOO serious an issue, since admins can always help the player out if they've been locked up for too long, but still a problem.

Gateway access really should be more common. Also aren't the walls around it regular walls, or are they rwalls?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #156217

I mean strictly speaking head's shouldn't be locking people anywhere but the permabrig
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #156218

Zilenan91 wrote:You CAN PDA people, but you don't know if you're PDAing people who either can't get to you, don't care about you, or will have their PDA messenger off due to round events. It's really not TOO serious an issue, since admins can always help the player out if they've been locked up for too long, but still a problem.

Gateway access really should be more common. Also aren't the walls around it regular walls, or are they rwalls?
r walls as it is a "high security area"
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #156223

Pssshh that's like saying Medbay isn't a public space
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #156233

If only you could like... get more access, or hack the airlock to the gate way, or RCD it.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #156234

dont' be silly lumi, that's way too hard!
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #156235

HoPs never give anybody high security access ever, hacking works but you need most of the time need gloves, and definitely need game knowledge, which isn't something everyone has, and RCDs are from cargo so you need access for that.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #156239

cocothegogo wrote:You ask Captain, HoP or HoS to open the gateway they never do it, now that the AI is gone, the gateway is closed forever
>what is a screwdriver, multitool, and crowbar
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #156241

What kind of shitty hop doesn't give gateway access?

Also if you lack the basic game knowledge to hack a door, it's a pretty good bet you are going to die like a fucking pleb in the gateway anyway.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #156243

Sometimes people steal all the multitools and cargo is shit and makes you get 9000 stamps just to get a multitool. Shit happens that is shit and can't be avoided.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

AngryTurnip

Post by AngryTurnip » #156244

lumipharon wrote:So what you're saying is... if you trespass as a mime you might actually have some repercussions?

Trespassing? I was in the dorms!
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #156245

you should probably report that to an admin
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #156246

Oh golly what an amazing test never seen a round without the AI before!
AngryTurnip

Post by AngryTurnip » #156251

I'm just saying, when you give the remote door mechanic to people not bound by laws, it makes acting like a complete asshole way easier.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #156255

I think this is a good opportunity to see how the game goes without a round start AI.

This is the point of tests, so we can accurately see the effects of a change over a week or so. Shouting expletives just makes you look like a cry baby.
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #156379

Pretty sure it's not just roundstart AI that got axed, but also researchable AI.
I play:
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #156382

You certainly don't need gloves to hack and if you're an unrepentant asshole you don't technically need a multitool either. Just like, go get yourself 1 burn patch and find the shock wire, then remind yourself to never touch it again.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #156388

With a little time PAIs can get you anywhere now. Without the AI to fight them off science is basically capable of printing slow demi-emags.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #156401

PAi hack is hilariously slow, you are better off hacking
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #156405

It's great in certain modes. Basically on a scale of WEAK ANTAGS ----> STRONG ANTAGS, the weakest play a lot better without an AI while the strongest tend to run rampant without an AI to track/contain/destroy them.

I'd really like to see lings in rotation without an AI to fuck with them (well not pure lings since nobody actually got that mode working but traitorlings at least).

While I think killing the AI outright is not feasible, here are some common sense suggestions to bring the AI back to sanity:

1) When the AI attempts to bolt a door, that door will now flash emergency lights for 5-10 seconds before the door is actually bolted

2) Remove AI access to dept. radio (possibly even remove borg radio upgrades, at least at roundstart, asimov secborgs should be a harm prevention tool ready to respond to immediate requests for help on common radio, not a super officer thats too busy lurking on sec radio validhunts to stop the bar fight going on).

3) More natural camera blindspots, whoever decided that every square-inch of the station not in maint. (and even some of maint.) needs 100% camera coverage can eat a dick. Especially the bullshit Xray cameras.

4) Get rid of the spergy AI sat designs (this new one is worse in every sense, if you're a powergaming turbohitler its even easier to kill than before whereas if youre a normie then you have to clear a gauntlet of like 10 fucking turrets across three rooms).

5) Taking a photo of a room and placing it on the camera will give the AI a static image of that room. Astute AI's will notice if certain things aren't moving/responding and can fix it but it won't do the obvious static that gets security called to that room 9/10 times.

6) Implement my doorjack device. Its basically a one-touch bolt/unbolt device that also disables all AI control to a door and unshocks it (if shocked).

7) Add a delay to all radio-based tracking, like 10 seconds or so, so that you can still zip to locations if someone is smart enough to shout where they need help. Will assist in ending the era of being able to shout "HELP!" on radio and still getting instant AI backup that bolts all escape routes for your attacker and gives sec your location/status.
Last edited by Oldman Robustin on Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackHunt
Byond Username: JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #156409

Yeah I'm finding that most antags are pretty well balanced with AI and are very powerful without. If we go through with this long term we are going to need to reconcile it with pretty much everything in the game.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #156414

i played a few rounds as freeborg

it was terrible, with no AI to defend upload i got validcopped several times whole round

remove validcop at least thank you
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #156426

Oldman Robustin wrote: 1) When the AI attempts to bolt a door, that door will now flash emergency lights for 5-10 seconds before the door is actually bolted
5-10 seconds seems like an eternity but I don't hate this idea.
Oldman Robustin wrote: 2) Remove AI access to dept. radio (possibly even remove borg radio upgrades, at least at roundstart, asimov secborgs should be a harm prevention tool ready to respond to immediate requests for help on common radio, not a super officer thats too busy lurking on sec radio validhunts to stop the bar fight going on).
Or make it like the cap's headset where the channels have to be enabled manually. Or leave it up to the individual department heads as to whether or not they want the AI on their channel.
Oldman Robustin wrote: 3) More natural camera blindspots, whoever decided that every square-inch of the station not in maint. (and even some of maint.) needs 100% camera coverage can eat a dick. Especially the bullshit Xray cameras.
Keep the departments covered, but kill cameras in more out of the way areas like tool storage, the construction area etc
Oldman Robustin wrote: 4) Get rid of the spergy AI sat designs (this new one is worse in every sense, if you're a powergaming turbohitler its even easier to kill than before whereas if youre a normie then you have to clear a gauntlet of like 10 fucking turrets across three rooms).
I think the current sat design looks "cooler" but I don't agree that it's harder. The APC for the long hallway is very accessible.
Oldman Robustin wrote: 5) Taking a photo of a room and placing it on the camera will give the AI a static image of that room. Astute AI's will notice if certain things aren't moving/responding and can fix it but it won't do the obvious static that gets security called to that room 9/10 times.

6) Implement my doorjack device. Its basically a one-touch bolt/unbolt device that also disables all AI control to a door and unshocks it (if shocked).
I love these ideas so much. Maybe the doorjack could come in two flavors: a traitor item that performs those functions without a delay and a high-level researchable version that has a slight delay (and maybe does it very noisily)
Oldman Robustin wrote: 7) Add a delay to all radio-based tracking, like 10 seconds or so, so that you can still zip to locations if someone is smart enough to shout where they need help. Will assist in ending the era of being able to shout "HELP!" on radio and still getting instant AI backup that bolts all escape routes for your attacker and gives sec your location/status.
There's already a delay and I think it's long enough
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #156445

AI player here - I have to disagree with you there Atlanta on the last point. In my opinion the current follow "delay" isn't a delay at all. 3 seconds is not enough. Personally I would just rather get rid of the follow links all together. Ais can still track quickly by using the track with camera option.

On ai dept radio as I said before I really think we should just go back to 3 intercoms and if you want to have dept channels you have to set your intercom up yourself. It's not difficult to click on telecom servers to see which dept had what freq.

With how simple it is to disable cameras I feel like the picture idea should be more simple too, I'd go as far as to suggest even just simply putting some cable on a photo and hitting it on the camera should make it display a blank room.

I think X-ray cameras should only exist as an upgrade people can attach to cameras themselves(aka never because whose gonna do that for the ai?) I don't think they should be default on any map... Are they even any on any map round start?
Motion cameras should stay though. Even better I would suggest that as long as you are walking motion cameras will not activate.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #156449

TheWiznard wrote:Even better I would suggest that as long as you are walking motion cameras will not activate.
Yes. Please. This shit.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #156451

TheWiznard wrote:Ais can still track quickly by using the track with camera option.
You know, I'd completely forgotten about that option. Losing the follow links is actually not the worst idea.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #156468

Semi-frequent AI player here with a couple of points:

1. The "utter lack" of AI is due to a config, it would be simple enough to just disable roundstart AI.

2. Borgs are not disabled, so this really takes a stressful role and makes it even more stressful as now a handful of borgs with limited scope have to do the work of an entire AI. I don't know why anyone plays borg with this up tbh

3. I am generally against simplifying/removing aspects of the game and its conflict. AI is one of those aspects.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #156471

DemonFiren wrote:
TheWiznard wrote:Even better I would suggest that as long as you are walking motion cameras will not activate.
Yes. Please. This shit.
You know, I remember on mythbusters they managed to defeat motion-sensitive cameras with a bedsheet.