Lavaland

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Re: Lavaland

Post by confused rock » #162677

Bottom post of the previous page:

The outpost is missing a disposal, abandoned crates are gone, and the miners have no form of light if they run no hardsuit besides pda. give them a hard hat or something.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #162685

The ash storms are great in theory, yeah, but with almost no 'here but useless' ruins implemented to provide temporary shelter when out digging or whatever, with the mobs everywhere, the clockwork ashstorms are a serious pain.
Now, miners get some free ones I believe and also can buy more, so the actual facet of the stations crew having this issue should be minor. Why? I've yet to even see a miner use them right. They always drop them like... ten damn tiles away from the mining airlock. WHY!? And then they never buy anymore as I've not yet seen any deployed beyond the first. Afaik they are supposed to be used for you in the emergency, when you are deep in the mine, and you use it to make a mini-outpost. Use as directed.

Ah yes, the bluespace hut capsules. Implement logging for their creation and who did, and maybe where, because they have no kind of access restrictions and each capsule drops down an instant house with full walls and some electronics, with no restrictions on station or anywhere else. Have seen them used to grief now a few times with no downside.

As for the Tribe getting onto the station, that is sometimes going to be a thing until there is a minimum distance required for such ruins as theirs or the prisoner spawn. I got to see one prisoner shuttle crashed right at the edge of the whiteships landing zone once. Two prisoners got dressed fast enough and went back to the station and had a fun time. Now, shit could've happened, maybe it will in the future, but I'd like to note that the chances of their spawns actually being in a place where our short rounds allow the miners, and the prisoners/Tribe enough time to get into contact, is very, very slim. However, the Tribe should not be shitty up on the station without a damn good reason given they worship the Tendrils/Necropolis and are down there to be cave-lizards.
The unloved rock wrote:The outpost is missing a disposal, abandoned crates are gone, and the miners have no form of light if they run no hardsuit besides pda. give them a hard hat or something.
Miners all get these sexy lanterns in their lockers for them to use. This also brings up an obvious use of glowshrooms from botany I might add.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #162706

Gamarr wrote: Miners all get these sexy lanterns in their lockers for them to use. This also brings up an obvious use of glowshrooms from botany I might add.
not any more for some reason, and even so, thatd waste some inventory space.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #162914

add clown posters to cluwne ruin pls

also up ore amounts
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #162918

Ops should get pickaxes and a lavaland destination so they can sentience mining mobs to use on the station
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #163061

Abandoned crates are back.

Lava will no longer overwrite ruins.

Ash lizards/prisoners are disabled now.

There is a mapping freeze currently so it's difficult to fix some of these concerns.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #163065

Ash storm warnings will definitley need to be made more visible, as well as the storms themselves.

I'm torn between thinking they are too long but also having had some good experiences holing up with other miners/survivors. Maybe locking people in a room is a dumb way to do it, but it was nice to have a couple minutes to actually converse with another player.

I'm thinking about how to make borgs/mechs interact with storms, obviously they're not in a very good place right now.

Mineral amounts will be upped or high mineral zones added once the mapping freeze is done.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #163410

Kor wrote:Ash storm warnings will definitley need to be made more visible, as well as the storms themselves.

I'm torn between thinking they are too long but also having had some good experiences holing up with other miners/survivors. Maybe locking people in a room is a dumb way to do it, but it was nice to have a couple minutes to actually converse with another player.
Could I make a few suggestions?

Make storms hamper instead of being lethal, to something akin to wearing a welding mask/goggles in the active position to reduce visibility. If possible, add in a speed debuff for being in the storm, walking into the wind/being buffeted about.

Monsters (Goliaths, Legions and Basilisks) would be unaffected by this so wandering about in storms would still be something of a bad idea as the monsters would get the drop on you. Increasing monster activity/having respawns might be another good way to make people think twice about wandering about.

Make it so EVA suits protect against the fire damage of the ash, instead of just thermal protection garments like the CE's jumpsuit. Non-miners could still go about and mine extra but storms would hamper than more than actual miners in hardsuits. Firesuits would probably be a viable option for ash protection as well, but you'd need a space proof helmet to block all the damage.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #163420

Davidchan wrote: Make storms hamper instead of being lethal, to something akin to wearing a welding mask/goggles in the active position to reduce visibility. If possible, add in a speed debuff for being in the storm, walking into the wind/being buffeted about.

Monsters (Goliaths, Legions and Basilisks) would be unaffected by this so wandering about in storms would still be something of a bad idea as the monsters would get the drop on you. Increasing monster activity/having respawns might be another good way to make people think twice about wandering about.
This is part of a good idea, actually, with the visibility (which is already bad but it is not a complaint) hampering from the storm. It would mean that while not so lethal itself, if you do go stumbling into the dark while barely able to see 3-5 tiles ahead of you, you will probably die as the monsters will see you first and their responses tend to trump player/lag more often than not. You will however, be able to not die and dig a little hole into a cave wall and wait it out with this way. It is not ideal, it is not the safest, it is very feasible though and long as you are patient, you will not die generally. This lends itself also to creating pre-exposed tunnels near the outpost, so when a storm does hit the miners just go into that one they dug and work, knowing they are mostly safe. With mesons they shouldn't expose another tunnel with digging if they are smart and all will be well.

So you will get 'clear' which is more for clearing your area/exploring, and when storms bring down visibility like welder-sight as the other guy said, you hunker down/go dig in your exposed and safe-zoned veins. To that end, mining could do with perhaps a... holoprojector for marking tunnels, or color flares of some sort.

As for monsters, the numbers are more than fine, Davidchan, and with the visibility idea they would be plenty enough. As for respawning, there already is respawns, as the Tendrils create a particular type of beast. They also drop loot before wrecking the local environment when killed now, so they are an environment hazard in of themselves.

A speed debuff might be alright but I would not want to test both visibility and slowdown new at the same time because it sounds downright supremely lethal (and mining is lethal right now, if played stupid. I believe people just need to adjust and it is not nearly as hard as people make it seem).
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #163423

the stuff from the new abandoned crates is usually useless, but those edgy metal plate things seem broken, considering they basically make walls you can see through that cant be deconstructed by normal means, so you need drills or bombs or something.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #163548

Keep ash storm length also making them more vision hampering would be atmospheric
kazeespada
Byond Username: Kaze Espada

Post by kazeespada » #163667

Up the fire resistance of mining hardsuits(probably to red locker fire suit levels), and nerf the required level of resistance for ash storms. Implement the vision stufff as well, so that miners can weather out ash storms but outsiders have to flee for cover.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #163983

>Be AI
>Get put in firefighter mech to help mine
>Accidentally step i none tile of lava
>It never goes out
>Die from fire
Wow some fire proof mech you got there
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #163985

Anonmare wrote:>Be AI
>It never goes out
>Die from fire
>lava
>thinking fire-proofing will help against literal molten rock
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #163991

>Clowns heal bannanas
>But it's absurd to think fire-proof plating resists heat

Could you not?
Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #163994

MMMiracles wrote:
>It never goes out
>Die from fire
>lava
>thinking fire-proofing will help against literal molten rock
Are you fucking serious? Magma has a melting range 700 °C to 1300 °C (or 1300 °F to 2400 °F) based on it's composition. Plasma fires that Firefighter APLU's regularly wade through are 6,000 °C if not more. Image

This guy steps on 2,0000 C Magma and the shoe only stays ignited while in contact, soon as he pulls away the fire goes out. Steel doesn't burn.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #164012

Counter-evidence of lava melting a robot.

onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #164014

>It never goes out
>Die from fire
I could probably make the firefighting mech lava proof but I'm afraid one person being able to move freely in lava while it kills everyone else would be stupid combat wise.

Though I guess there is little PVP going on with lavaworld anyway.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #164020

Probably best to make lava kill everyone
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #164023

Kor wrote:Counter-evidence of lava melting a robot.

Molten Steel. Not Lava. Steel melts at 1500 C. As for the complaint was that the fire never went out on the mech, you touch lava once and you never extinguish.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #164025

Lavaland gulag is nonfunctional due to no way to start the conveyor belt, and the stacking machine also unusable and is literal garbage. Just remove it entirely, it does nothing.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #164026

Yes, but then in the new one they used le magic acid to kill le magic alloy robot.

Maybe just make exosuits immune to lingering fire damage, so that they do take lava damage when they touch it but won't have fire on them after that.
Speaking of the glulag, give them some firesuits, and fix it. Sec needs somewhere to throw shitters, and having them ghost there is better than them breaking brig windows and depressurizing the thing.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #164027

Saegrimr wrote:Lavaland gulag is nonfunctional due to no way to start the conveyor belt, and the stacking machine also unusable and is literal garbage. Just remove it entirely, it does nothing.
it's also always separated by the rest of lavaland by a lava river so there's no way to escape ever, probably intended though
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #164030

Grazyn wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:Lavaland gulag is nonfunctional due to no way to start the conveyor belt, and the stacking machine also unusable and is literal garbage. Just remove it entirely, it does nothing.
it's also always separated by the rest of lavaland by a lava river so there's no way to escape ever, probably intended though
All rivers are randomly generated in... EXCEPT for one river, this one river wraps around the mining station (though it does not separate this from the mainland) and then the Gulag (separated) and then straight up until it reaches almost the top of the map, where it takes a 90 degree turn and then keeps going until it hits the east edge of the map.

tl;dr it's very much intended.
私は完璧
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #164052

It functions as a questionably more secure alternative to perma, which is what players have been using the gulag for for ages anyway.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #164065

Last I saw there weren't many minerals available to the gulag area. Last time I was there I had to breach out of the gulag area(which is full of monsters) just to fill a 500 point sentence.
--Crocodillo

newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #164080

cmspano wrote:Last I saw there weren't many minerals available to the gulag area. Last time I was there I had to breach out of the gulag area(which is full of monsters) just to fill a 500 point sentence.
Dig sand man it's the easiest thing in the world.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #164123

The plant people vault thing needs a grinder and brewmaster like normal botany has.
With the plant changes that will allow them to make mutagen and shit given enough time and autism.
coiax
Byond Username: Coiax

Post by coiax » #164605

1) The Free Golem ship has a door that opens onto a wall.
2) The Free Golems start with no ID cards to allow them to claim points at the reward machines, nor dispense ores.
3) The Free Golems have no mesons, making their mining scanners a little bit rubbish.
4) Golem shells aren't activated like runes, so there's a chance a new golem will be born but you won't be around to give its life task.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #164631

Adding a way to recycle dead golems would be nice too, since one suicide/ash-storm victim costs you 20 iron and 10 of whatever.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #164637

var/golem_name = pick("Quartz", "Crystal", "Boulder", "Mountain", "Rock", "Stalagmite", "Stalagtite", "Sediment", "Geode", "Igneous", "Quarry", "Shale", "Obsidian", "Chasm", "Stone", "Oynx", "Iron", "Quake", "Grotto","Landslide","Mineral", "Slag", "Pebble", "Gravel", "Pyrite", "Flint", "Sand")

Are all the current names. Taking suggestions for more.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #164639

There is a fix up for the IDs. Golems can buy mesons in the vendors.

Lots of little things I cant do right now though without editing the maps and there is a freeze on that.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #164640

Shist
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #164641

Kor wrote:Taking suggestions for more.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/ ... de_to_Rock
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
coiax

Post by coiax » #164642

I think there may be some sort of duplication bug. Diamond is pretty rare, and when I got enough diamond sheets to make a new diamond golem, it was impressive. But then later, another diamond golem walked in, and I assume that somehow another ghost managed to spawn in with the old alert?

Also, feedback, there are no bedsheets for improv surgery, no backpacks (maybe intentional).

Attaching a golem's "type" as a forename would make sense with the list of names we have, Gold Mountain, Diamond Quarry, Plasma Fissure, that sort of thing.

Attached are some geology terms I thought were quasi suitable for names.
Attachments
rocknames.txt
(535 Bytes) Downloaded 138 times
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #164643

I wonder what effect the golem source minerals have, anyway.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
coiax

Post by coiax » #164644

coiax

Post by coiax » #164645

And I looked it up, mineral golems are identical to regular golems in every way apart from blacklisting them from magic mirrors.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #164646

Yes, seems that way.

Note to self, learn how to git and kill all the rogue "it's".

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
coiax

Post by coiax » #164656

More feedback, having multiple ORMs I'm sure seemed like a good idea, but in practice you end up with a handful of minerals spread across them, and it's a lot of effort tallying how much we have of each type. Multiple ORMs is fine if we had some sort of smartfridge for metals to put it all in.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #164685

Make the free golems butcherable for their source minerals with the pickaxe
The future is horrible!
coiax

Post by coiax » #164697

Ezel wrote:Make the free golems butcherable for their source minerals with the pickaxe
The original Free Golems wouldn't have a material. It's a good idea though, deaths are pretty common. Maybe not get all the material back though. Or you could get a soulshard of some kind and put it in a new shell. I dunno.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #164761

Make it drop 3 sheets
The future is horrible!
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #165106

Free Golems could do with a backpack tbh. Just my thought.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #165107

Kor wrote:var/golem_name = pick("Quartz", "Crystal", "Boulder", "Mountain", "Rock", "Stalagmite", "Stalagtite", "Sediment", "Geode", "Igneous", "Quarry", "Shale", "Obsidian", "Chasm", "Stone", "Oynx", "Iron", "Quake", "Grotto","Landslide","Mineral", "Slag", "Pebble", "Gravel", "Pyrite", "Flint", "Sand")

Just take every mineral name that's in DF, for starters.
Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #165151

lumipharon wrote:
Kor wrote:var/golem_name = pick("Quartz", "Crystal", "Boulder", "Mountain", "Rock", "Stalagmite", "Stalagtite", "Sediment", "Geode", "Igneous", "Quarry", "Shale", "Obsidian", "Chasm", "Stone", "Oynx", "Iron", "Quake", "Grotto","Landslide","Mineral", "Slag", "Pebble", "Gravel", "Pyrite", "Flint", "Sand")

Just take every mineral name that's in DF, for starters.
Bippity, Boppity,Boop
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #165735

Give miners mesons back.

There's no fear, no sense of suspense, and no enjoyment out of walking into the darkness into an instant goliath stun because you can't see that shit on the ground and getting ganked by 2 mining mobs you would've been able to see the presence of with mesons. There's nothing to be gained by keeping them gone. Even discovering rooms through walls is a moot point because you can only see the outlines of said rooms through the walls, not the actual contents of them so you would still have to find a way inside for you to discover things. Knowing the existence of something and having to find a way inside of it is more engaging and fun than not knowing it exists in the first place. That's literally the entire appeal behind the unfinished Necropolis.

Also goliath tentacles are nearly invisible on the lavaland floor sprite, please change them, the stun was fine before because it had contrast between the floor and itself and because you had mesons so you could at least guess where goliaths might be. Right now you just walk into the pitch blackness get stunned and die, most miners die because of this.

Also pls buff the explorer armor it sucks now
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #165740

>you would've been able to see the presence of with mesons

Not sure what you mean? Mobs are still invisible with mesons, though I guess easier to see at visions edge. But yeah I said I'm open to reverting to mesons, I think I"ll just do it in another PR.

>Also pls buff the explorer armor it sucks now

It has better armour stats than the hardsuit and no slowdown.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #165742

I've heard from a lot of people that it has less than the hardsuit, so if I'm wrong on that then everyone is wrong.

Also yeah the mobs were invisible with mesons without light but when mobs walk into asteroid turfs or the mining walls, they break them, so if you see 2 long sections of mining wall then a mob was almost guaranteed to be there because of how mining generates its turfs, which meant you could predict their positions.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #165749

Kor wrote:>you would've been able to see the presence of with mesons

Not sure what you mean? Mobs are still invisible with mesons, though I guess easier to see at visions edge. But yeah I said I'm open to reverting to mesons, I think I"ll just do it in another PR.

The hardsuit is spaceproof. Meanwhile the explorer armor starts killing you if gibonite explodes.

Put some sealant in the miner vendor for like 1000 points that spaceproof it.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #165750

ShadowDimentio wrote:
Kor wrote:>you would've been able to see the presence of with mesons

The hardsuit is spaceproof. Meanwhile the explorer armor starts killing you if gibonite explodes.

Put some sealant in the miner vendor for like 1000 points that spaceproof it.
Gibtonite should not be causing vacuum