Lavaland

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Re: Lavaland

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #173271

Bottom post of the previous page:

Those prices are pretty bad but the ideas are good.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #173273

WJ gave me icons for fireproof RIG suits, I will put them in the code soonish.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #173318

Why
Bring back papercult.

Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #173324

InsaneHyena wrote:Image

Why
The solution was sacraficing one prisoner while the others are in the crate
The future is horrible!
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #173373

Or asking a badmin nicely to delete one of the walls
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #173429

Ash walkers nests should be immune to damage the first five minutes of the round. A goliath/watcher spawns on the ashwalker base and kills the nest roundstart literally every other round, and it basically ends the ashwalkers before they even spawn.
Bring back papercult.

TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #173430

Alternatively you could just make mobs unable to spawn in the nest
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #173433

I'm not a coder, so I have no idea how feasible it is to achieve. But sure, if it's simple to do, than making mobs unable to spawn literally a tile away from the nest is better.
Bring back papercult.

TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #173435

It might require mapping so I'll just shrug and hope someone hears your pleas
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #173546

How I would do it is make sure an Ash Walker den spawns every round, but make it RnG on whether or not a tendril spawns and blacklist the area from mob spawns.
This would mean the den always spawns in the same place and thus could be improved with mapping if there are problems with how or how not fortified it is.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #173586

I don't think a static location for the den would be a good thing
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #173612

TechnoAlchemist wrote:I don't think a static location for the den would be a good thing
Think quite the opposite is true, along with the stipulation the Majors only get a single spawn. Except this Major Ruin is far as fuck away from the outpost by design. One Major Ruin would spawn per round, such as the ash walker village/harbor, crashed golem ship, any other number of ideas that could be done after being able to work with a static area instead of the (sometimes awful) rng ones.

The chances that one or even more of the spawners will appear is rather high imo, and we can do so much more if we have a static-ish location with which to work and design. Between golem and ash walkers for instance, one of those can easily support ghost recycling, with the division of said ghosts to support both slowing what can be done in a rounds varying time constraints.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #173613

Nah multiple majors should spawn in the same round. The conflict they create is pretty great.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #173702

The whole gig of lavaland is exploration. Static ruin locations will utterly ruin it.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #173710

What lavaland also needs is for mobs not to be generated inside ruins.

At least some. Golem - or worse, vet - ship with a goliath in it is such a meme to play.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #173730

I killed a goliath who spawned inside the lab as a lone vet before. It's probably the easiest to kill, you have access to a powerful weapon (saw) and tons of patches.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #173741

Golems can deal best with mobs while none of the lavaspawn roles have much in the way of ranged resonator squad lets them avoid damage against standard mobs.

The worst is breathing roles without an oxygen supply starting with a tendril inside or right next to the base even if you win you lose all your air.

So yeah it pretty much has to go everyone but golems probably gets cucked (it will beeline the tendril since ashwalkers aren't there to draw agro when round starts) that and I am pretty sure since tendrils can do it a dragon inside the base is possible for all roles. Maybe just teleport all the jank out to a distance at roundstart away from inhabited wrecks? I dunno.
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #174986

Can we replace watchers with something less obnoxious? Getting frozen and then having a out of sight goliath aggro you is a death sentence you can't avoid. That and shit freezing you on a planet of lava is fucking stupid.

Alright addendum because I'm mad as fuck right now.

Fix tendril generation that it stops putting them in fucking lava and ruins constantly, I'm getting tired of this shit.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #175015

Durkel wrote:Can we replace watchers with something less obnoxious? Getting frozen and then having a out of sight goliath aggro you is a death sentence you can't avoid. That and shit freezing you on a planet of lava is fucking stupid.

Alright addendum because I'm mad as fuck right now.

Fix tendril generation that it stops putting them in fucking lava and ruins constantly, I'm getting tired of this shit.
They shouldnt spawn in the ruins but lava is oke we got boats anyways

BTW you can meathook tendrils/ash walker nests to move them
The future is horrible!
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #175046

Going for a watcher and getting ambushed by another mob is pretty terrible I agree however I have a ghetto solution. Throw sand or ore at it. While mining mobs are snowflake bitchtits and immune to all thrown weapon damage they still get agro'd by it letting you lure it a bit closer, also reveals that their stupid projectiles can be dodged at long range.
Last edited by Incomptinence on Wed May 11, 2016 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #175653

I don't really have anything to add, other than to say that the semi RNG mapping that lavaland has is the end of a long line of developers making this more and more possible.

This kind of semi rng content generation is the future for open source codebases like ours.

Big ups to everyone and to Kor for making the ultimate realization of all the disparate parts.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #175699

TechnoAlchemist wrote:Alternatively you could just make mobs unable to spawn in the nest
This would be nice for all the lavaland spawn bases. Like the veterinary office. Half the time there's a goliath in there right when you spawn. Also, Vet office needs a couple O2 tanks. Golems could use backpacks but I imagine there's a reason why they don't if they haven't gotten them by now.
--Crocodillo

Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #175953

Can the vets office spawn with an actual torch in the maint area. The penlight does bugger all and there's no real point playing them if you can't see anything.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #175979

you can take the desk lamp off the table in the lobby. That's about it.
--Crocodillo

Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #176040

Watchers not dropping diamond ore and still freezing you on hit is really annoying tbh fampai
TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #176053

Since when do watchers not drop diamond ore, they totally still do.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #176064

You have to butcher the watcher now, yeah.
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #176277

Can there either be a newer safe area for less ore mining or just no windows and just walls on the mining outpost, I've lost count of the times I've went to get a suit only for there to be a goliath squatting outside the outpost waiting to fuck me up, I get tentacled and then it breaks in and ruins the outpost.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #176290

Add spelunking
Throw a rope down a chasm to go a level down, rescue miners who fell down and broke their legs or just get more mining

Get lost in the giant caves, you went too deep and your radio doesn't work anymore, cave collapses and other hazards deep down and when you go deep enough you fight Satan. I really recommend playing motherload, that's the idea
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #178112

replace ore drops from dragon with the staff of storms
replace giant legion staff of storms with a spell book or something
TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #178182

Legion should probably drop a "summon legion" staff or spell
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #178646

One thing I've noticed is that the two Miner Equipment Lockers on the mining base both have Bluespace Capsules, meaning I oft see people rushing down to get two free capsules right off the bat.

They should be removed for obvious reasons.

Also the mining hardsuit should be buffed to act as a ash storm resistant suit, but with heavy slowdown and being very expensive. Something you wear during a storm, not for everyday mining.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #178707

I might be a masochist but I think the regular mining mobs need a buff.

Goliaths aare SUPER easy to kite and kill, the only time I've actually gotten tangled by one is when a spike hit and couldn't move due to lava. Didn't matter much anyway because I had already maxed out my goliath plates so damage was minimal.

Legion are walking medkits. Literally just walk up to to with your pickaxe/knife to kill it. The brood would probably benefit from a damage buff, or at least making the legion actually fight back in melee range.

Watchers are iffy on a buff. Current AI makes them super easy to cheese as all you need to do is bait them to waste their freeze shot when behind something like an ore crate, push up for 1-2 hits, then hide behind the item again to repeat the process. They're a bit dangerous if you aren't careful starting out but the stimpacks negate their main attack completely and make them a little bit above legions at that point.

The boss mobs are fine and tendrils are nice to have as some loot, some of the stuff you can get out of them is pretty fuckin' mediocre though.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #178721

Watchers combined with anything but a legion is a very dead miner. You're slowed so you get stunned by goliaths and frozen to death even faster by other watchers and you can't get away.

Goliaths could stand to do more brute, and legions could spawn mobs more rapidly and make them do more damage.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Smeller
Byond Username: Smeller

Post by Smeller » #179094

Remove abandoned crate from mining post/make people rushing for abandoned crate valid.
Zellion
Byond Username: Zellion

Post by Zellion » #179159

Ash storms are kinda annoying. Is there no way to go out into them? Mining hardsuits do literally nothing? It's just frustrating to have a timer that says "Sorry, but you can't do your job for a while. Sit here and think about what you've done."
Boredone
Byond Username: Boredone

Post by Boredone » #179167

Unless its bugged, Ash Storms check for Fire IMMUNITY to see if they do damage or not. So either get some chill potions from Xenobiology, or a Atmos Fire suit, or the Atmos/CE Hardsuit I believe.
I think you can also get some loot from tendrils that makes you immune as well?
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #179175

Smeller wrote:Remove abandoned crate from mining post/make people rushing for abandoned crate valid.
Get out its the only nostelgia that i have left
The future is horrible!
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #179566

@MMMiracles

I agree, when you become more competent, at least in my experience, I've found the mobs to become pretty easy to contend with, Ash Drake aside.

I think a better way forward is going the traditionally MMO route of making two or more varients of the same monster. Keep the current wildlife on the mining z-level as is but add in a additional z-level or two that have better loot but more powerful versions of the base wildlife.

I also think the game needs to guarantee at least one ghost playable faction spawns in, I've seen a few recent rounds where NOTHING of note spawns, from ruins and even ash drakes. Ashwalkers are always interesting to run into but I think there should be at least one thing guaranteed to be on lavaland.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #179582

>variants

I was thinking of a couple different ways to do this. Maybe just have random alpha variants that are recolours with a special power or two, or just mutatations that can make individuals faster or whatever.

Or we could do mini-mini bosses (I think dragons are still mini-bosses, but obviously still too tough for the average melee armed team to handle, and for most miners for that matter).

>better loot and more wildlife

Lots of sprites and coding. I have a few ideas for new mobs and megafauna but adding new loot for all of them is gonna be a nightmare. Half the necropolis chest is still filler. It's been really nice having Techno and Zombehz adding new mob drops.

>necropolis/second Z level

I'm still not happy with the first z level honestly, and a bit burned out. Plus I'm fucking awful at mapping in general.

Its 6 in the morning I hope this is coherent.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #179583

Just resuse the current loot drops for now.

But the bigger question should be what DO you envision for lavaland? Its kinda hard to guess where the end point is for at least the current z level.
tetracobalt
Byond Username: Tetracobalt

Post by tetracobalt » #180339

I feel like player ash drakes should be nerfed. Atm they're capable of killing most of the crew and taking on a ERT squad solo. Perhaps it should take time to eat something to gain health back?
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #180360

Yeah, knew the salt was inbound
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #180364

Kor wrote:>variants

I was thinking of a couple different ways to do this. Maybe just have random alpha variants that are recolours with a special power or two, or just mutatations that can make individuals faster or whatever.
Are you talking something like, "this round instead of tentacles all goliaths have a fireball lob attack and are colored blue", or are you talking about most enemies being normal but sometimes having elite guys with special powers, kind of like how Diablo II did it?

Sounds cool but be careful not to fall into the blob trap with 20 obscure variants :P
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #180366

Cheridan wrote:
Kor wrote:>variants

Are you talking something like, "this round instead of tentacles all goliaths have a fireball lob attack and are colored blue", or are you talking about most enemies being normal but sometimes having elite guys with special powers, kind of like how Diablo II did it?

Sounds cool but be careful not to fall into the blob trap with 20 obscure variants :P
Perhaps but he may also be refering to my earlier suggestions of having more deeper z-levels of lavland having simply more powerful variations of the base lavaland mobs but with a colour palate swap.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #180372

Steelpoint wrote:
Perhaps but he may also be refering to my earlier suggestions of having more deeper z-levels of lavland having simply more powerful variations of the base lavaland mobs but with a colour palate swap.
Random z-levels with increasingly difficult mobs, traps, better loot and ruins, and a fixed bottom level with insanely hard mobs and a final megaboss

let's go all the way in and turn lavaland into a roguelike
Zellion
Byond Username: Zellion

Post by Zellion » #180441

Grazyn wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:
Random z-levels with increasingly difficult mobs, traps, better loot and ruins, and a fixed bottom level with insanely hard mobs and a final megaboss

let's go all the way in and turn lavaland into a roguelike
But then lavaland would be more fun than the actual game and people would fuck off to explore it
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #180463

tetracobalt wrote:I feel like player ash drakes should be nerfed. Atm they're capable of killing most of the crew and taking on a ERT squad solo. Perhaps it should take time to eat something to gain health back?

I think when Kor coded them he expressly wanted admins to not use them for shit like that because it makes them wear out really fast. Of course since when does anyone listen to shit like that
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #180466

Unfortunately for those people everything is logged and I finally bothered checking who's been spawning them this morning, stay tuned for drama.
TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #180958

double finger guns *pew pew*
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #181035

Accelerators 2 shot ashwalkers its kinda bullshit. If you got an asshole miner they can easily kill you
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017