Ratvar, the Clockwork Justiciar

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Re: Ratvar, the Clockwork Justiciar

Post by InsaneHyena » #191940

Bottom post of the previous page:

It is currently impossible to convert a cyborg, unless he WANTS to be converted. Flashes stun them only for a few short seconds now (because buffing silicons is what coders are about now), and stun visor doesn't work on them at all.
Bring back papercult.

ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #191955

InsaneHyena wrote:It is currently impossible to convert a cyborg, unless he WANTS to be converted. Flashes stun them only for a few short seconds now (because buffing silicons is what coders are about now), and stun visor doesn't work on them at all.
The stun visor works on them fine, you just make to make sure the cyborg is still caught in the blast.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #191981

Chuck a steampunk spear at it, the stun is long enough if you are quick.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #192001

It is a bit odd that Ratvar cultists, of all antag types, don't have an EMP of any sorts.
metacide
Byond Username: Metacide

Post by metacide » #196414

Now that the novelty has worn off, Ratvar is clearly more or less the same as cult but more OP earlier on. As with cult, either you catch it really early, call shuttle right away and force it through against recallers, or the station gets rapidly wrecked by boring OP stuff and constructs. Neither of these options is much fun. At least with cult you can't make runes off the station and summoning is quick, but with clockcult dull off-station bases happen plenty, with clockcult easily becoming unstoppably powerful before coming back to kill everyone. At least cult can summon Nar-Sie quickly, but even with OP clockcult gear where after a short while it usually becomes evident that clockcult will win, it actually takes ages of boring summoning crap that no one cares for before they actually do, with a portal invulnerable to bombs, which infinitely delays shuttle departure meaning you can't have interesting close-calls like Nar-Sie. Even when Ratvar arrives you have to wait for shuttle call and landing. At least with cult you might have the AI, but Ratvar rapidly converts the silicons most times, on top of all the other powers they have. Clockcult drones get mass produced and can very easily run up to anyone and weldertank bomb them, then drag them into space.

A lot of effort has clearly gone into making it, the sprites and sounds and such are kind of neat, but that just makes it all the more disappointing when the end result is just easy-mode cult and plays pretty much the same, being one of that hallowed group of roundtypes where it's usually best to just DC and do something more interesting, then perhaps check back later to see if it's over. I can see loads of little adjustments going on over at GitHub, but mostly cleaning things up and making things clearer, not improving gameplay. Until there's more to differentiate it from bloodcult, perhaps a few nerfs here and there (plus portal speed buffs for clear victories as well), perhaps the round chances could be brought down a little too?

tl:dr clockcult novelty has worn off, it's a more OP reskin of cult and has all its failings, with more boredom thrown in for good measure
Last edited by metacide on Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetaStation is currently running by vote or by default on both Sibyl and Basil
Feedback and suggestions are welcome in the MetaStation thread
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #196419

So how do you suggest we can improve it? I'm willing to hear all suggestions.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #196420

We had a long discussion about it in OOC, and Amelius will soon post the first draft of nerfs on github.
Bring back papercult.

metacide
Byond Username: Metacide

Post by metacide » #196422

I did mention some suggestions in my feedback, to clarify:
  • Make all clockcult stuff turn to dust on non-station z-levels
    Make drone production harder and drones weaker
    Make it possible to destroy portals with bombs
    Speed up summoning - it takes ages even with no opposition and I've never seen it countered
    Let emergency shuttle depart while summoning and make it minor clockcult victory if it leaves
    Make summoning Ratvar end the round in two minutes (1st shuttle>station, 2nd shuttle>centcom)
Don't get me wrong I think the spritework etc is pretty cool, but after seeing it lots of times the novelty does wear off and the gameplay limitations become a bit more apparent.
MetaStation is currently running by vote or by default on both Sibyl and Basil
Feedback and suggestions are welcome in the MetaStation thread
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #196425

InsaneHyena wrote:-snip-
I will never approve anything that Amelius makes. Keep him off my fucking gamemode and let someone else do it.
metacide wrote:
  • Make all clockcult stuff turn to dust on non-station z-levels
    Make drone production harder and drones weaker
    Make it possible to destroy portals with bombs
    Speed up summoning - it takes ages even with no opposition and I've never seen it countered
    Let emergency shuttle depart while summoning and make it minor clockcult victory if it leaves
    Make summoning Ratvar end the round in two minutes (1st shuttle>station, 2nd shuttle>centcom)
  • I tried to make clockcult stuff hindered on non-station Zs, but it got shot down by maintain memes
  • Not sure how cogscarabs are right now - I didn't make them, Joan did.
  • Good idea
  • I think it's in a fine spot right now
  • Could be done
  • Sure, why not
I'm currently doing some rewrites to gamemode code, so once I finish that I'll fix up the stuff you mentioned. Thanks for the feedback.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #196430

If it's your gamemode, then maybe you can fix it?
Bring back papercult.

Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #196432

Xhuis wrote:once I finish that I'll fix up the stuff you mentioned
Guess what I just finished?
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #196450

Desperately needs a tier 1 stun. The explodey goggles never work, and the runes are only good for use as mines in maint. The entire tier 1 loadout shouldn't be beaten by a stunbaton.

And if not a stun, a mute. Whenever I would baton and try to convert someone they'd chelp and the shuttle would get called.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz