New movement

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

New movement

Post by MrStonedOne » #166403

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/16570

Its simple, it ports smooth movement that bay/vg/goon/almost all the servers/etc use.

It does this by removing two lines.

This doesn't affect run speed, but it does feel like it's slower with the smoother movement
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Re: Porting bay/vg/goon/para movement

Post by Zilenan91 » #166404

Their movement feels much better so yeah it's cool
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #166431

I have no idea if I'll like this or not until I try it on a non-laggy server.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #166437

I always thought it was related to network performance and not code.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #166464

Reposting my thoughts from the pull

---

Was never a fan of this, having the character so perfectly centered on the screen at all time gave me a sense of the world moving around the character instead of the character moving around the world.

---

After some playing around with this on a live server I'm moving this from "I have some subjective problems with this but I acknowlege that it might be a good idea" to "I actively dislike this and would be less likely to play the game if I had to deal with this"

The smoothness is distracting, everyone looks like they're slowly skating on a very rough slab of ice, it legitimately makes me feel a sensation almost like a weak form of carsickness.

Might be alright for things other than mobs (like thrown objects), but for things that are supposed to give the sensation of "this is deliberate movement that could change direction or stop at any moment" it just looks really bad.

---

Also gotta say the "Well everyone else is using this so why aren't we?" argument is pretty weak here. Those server were either always like that or made a tragic mistake later on in their development by changing something so intrinsic to the game. Sacrificing player familiarity is usually a bad move in my opinion. Either it gets done slowly enough to where people can't really notice or doesn't happen at all. This is just too jarring as a one step change.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #166479

test it for a week

make a poll

this is one of those things where making a poll makes the most sense tbh
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Re: New movement

Post by lzimann » #167110

I've played with it in gloom a bit and didn't like, same thing now in Sybil(it was merged for testing). I really didn't like, honestly doesn't feel any smoother than before, instead it feels like it makes you slower, can be really noticiable when you first start moving. I'll try it for a few more days and edit/post about my overall feelings about this new movement, this was more a first impression or so about it.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #167112

I'll have to play with it for a while, but for now I'm giving it a tentative thumbs up.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #167117

Incoming wrote:Reposting my thoughts from the pull

---

Was never a fan of this, having the character so perfectly centered on the screen at all time gave me a sense of the world moving around the character instead of the character moving around the world.

---

After some playing around with this on a live server I'm moving this from "I have some subjective problems with this but I acknowlege that it might be a good idea" to "I actively dislike this and would be less likely to play the game if I had to deal with this"

The smoothness is distracting, everyone looks like they're slowly skating on a very rough slab of ice, it legitimately makes me feel a sensation almost like a weak form of carsickness.

Might be alright for things other than mobs (like thrown objects), but for things that are supposed to give the sensation of "this is deliberate movement that could change direction or stop at any moment" it just looks really bad.

---

Also gotta say the "Well everyone else is using this so why aren't we?" argument is pretty weak here. Those server were either always like that or made a tragic mistake later on in their development by changing something so intrinsic to the game. Sacrificing player familiarity is usually a bad move in my opinion. Either it gets done slowly enough to where people can't really notice or doesn't happen at all. This is just too jarring as a one step change.
I agree with incoming on this one, it feels really floaty and gross, especially when you're moving at slow speeds like you're wearing a hardsuit or are hurt. When you go slow enough, you come to a complete stop before starting to move again which makes me feel like I'm moving a piece on a chess board instead of controlling a character. In addition, I constantly see people jutting back and forth while they're running along, I think especially when they're rounding corners, which is really weird too.

Edit: With normal movement you're always moving at the same speed, so you can tell how fast you're going and when to round a corner when you're in a hurry. With this movement you're constantly jittering back and forth and moving at different speeds (especially when you're slowed down) which makes it way more frustrating to try
Last edited by Shaps-cloud on Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #167118

The more I see the less I like, and I could phrase that a million different ways but the emotion stays the same.

Besides changing the visible range of the world I would argue there's no single change that is as drastic as this. All this to allow for higher FPS that no one is even asking for.

Why?

onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #167119

Maybe this is all in my head, but you seem to keep moving much farther after you stop holding down the key when it is lagging
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #167121

The concept is good but it needs polish.
Aniukha
Byond Username: Aniukha

Post by Aniukha » #167124

To be honest, one of the reasons i love sybil so much was it's responsive, non-sluggish movement. It felt like i was in control of my character. This new movement system feels like there's a delay of about a second or more for me. This means getting through a door im going back and forth trying to get through.

All other servers that had this, goon specifically, felt like i was not the one controlling the character. It's like i push the keys telling someone else what key to push and i have to wait for them to control my character. I think i started playing SS13 3 years ago and started on goon, it has always felt that same way which is why i stayed on tg/sybil most of that time. Best way i can compare it is the difference between playing CS:S and ARMA ... ARMA you float around never really feeling in control. The new movement system is ARMA. imo, i really hate it o_O
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #167140

Not a fan. It makes movement lag more noticeable and just feels weird in an intangible way.

EDIT: Dunno if it's my connection or what, but it's smooth for a second or two, jerks and goes back to smooth. Super off-putting.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
lollerderby
Byond Username: Lollerderby
Github Username: lollerderby

Post by lollerderby » #167145

Pls go and stay go.
DEAD: Tim Ebow says, ">rylie talking shit and not actually doing anything again"
DEAD: Tim Ebow says, "What a twist"
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #167177

p l e a s e revert
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #167178

REMOVE
E
M
O
V
E
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #167181

it's terrible. my AI eye seems to jump like twice as far with one keypress, it went from a little jerky at top speed to a choppy full screen teleport.

why was this implemented without testing it seems really fucked up man, like if this is the way it's supposed to work how can anyone even deal with this shit it's terrible
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #167182

It bad
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #167186

Alright, the only opinion I have on this is that you seem to be trying to move the game in the direction of higher FPS, MSO.

I can appreciate that but the game isn't meant for high FPS, lag makes the game absolutely unplayable at those high framerates which is why it's always been capped.

Low FPS sort of has always worked as a way to lag compensate, which has been fair for everyone especially since we have players all over the world on sybil.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #167194

Kills my eyes and looks terrible
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #167224

Is there any way to correct the movement lag that this introduces? I know the current implementation is shit but I don't think we should trash the entire idea just yet, at least not until we know that there is no way to fix the issue associated with this.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #167233

Luke Cox wrote:Is there any way to correct the movement lag that this introduces? I know the current implementation is shit but I don't think we should trash the entire idea just yet, at least not until we know that there is no way to fix the issue associated with this.
MSO mentioned something about a BYOND bug, so we should be able to just shoot a memo lummox's way before 510 hits shelves and we'll get it fixed
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #167253

This could be amazing IF we can eliminate the movement lag associated with it. As it is, it feels jerky and clunky.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #167269

i'd try it out but i'm getting pretty bad ping spikes and lag because of this and idk why :^^^^)
I play Boris Pepper.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #167271

Yeah this is actually pretty nice.

The only downside is you really feel it when you start lagging, whereas before the sort of choppy movement would hide some small ping issues.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #167272

I don't like it might be a connection thing but it makes the stuttering unreal for me.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #167273

I suggest we withhold all judgement until we see this with the BYOND bug causing the stuttering fixed in 510. That will give us a much more accurate impression of what this will actually be like
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #167278

Luke Cox wrote:I suggest we withhold all judgement until we see this with the BYOND bug causing the stuttering fixed in 510. That will give us a much more accurate impression of what this will actually be like
"lets all suffer and pretend nothing is wrong for an indeterminate period of time because there is a very slim chance that it won't suck in the future"

what the heck
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #167297

I can't feel the difference. *shrug*
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #167302

Drynwyn wrote:I can't feel the difference. *shrug*
If your experience don't predate the last 24 hours or so that's because we test merged it off

Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #167309

Incoming wrote:
Drynwyn wrote:I can't feel the difference. *shrug*
If your experience don't predate the last 24 hours or so that's because we test merged it off
Its still active on bagil, so you can easily get a side by side comparison. Or at least you could but the server is ded at the moment.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #167347

Super Aggro Crag wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:I suggest we withhold all judgement until we see this with the BYOND bug causing the stuttering fixed in 510. That will give us a much more accurate impression of what this will actually be like
"lets all suffer and pretend nothing is wrong for an indeterminate period of time because there is a very slim chance that it won't suck in the future"

what the heck
Did you not read what goofball said? Currently, BYOND bugs are preventing it from working. When they fix it, this should work a million times better. It's obviously shit right now, but we shouldn't give up on the idea entirely.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #167351

Luke Cox wrote:
Super Aggro Crag wrote:

what the heck
Did you not read what goofball said? Currently, BYOND bugs are preventing it from working. When they fix it, this should work a million times better. It's obviously shit right now, but we shouldn't give up on the idea entirely.
"I believe anything Goofball says"

ok are you TRYING to go to Big Dummy Babyjail or what, Loose Socks?
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #167377

I know Goofball is a dipshit but MSO is the one who found out that it was a BYOND issue. Revert the change for now, re-release it when BYOND is fixed.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #167378

Luke Cox wrote:Revert the change for now, re-release test merge it when BYOND is fixed.
This is the correct answer.
Thread can be closed.
I play Boris Pepper.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #167380

Looks absolutely awful at lower FPS (such as default 11) and has a stuttering problem at any framerate high enough (such as 20), where the mob sprite stutters while moving.

I hate it.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #167389

It's been reverted for now.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #167404

Good. I like the idea but as I said before, this cannot work until the bug in BYOND causing the lag is fixed.