Tele-Gulag

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Bolien
Byond Username: Bolien

Tele-Gulag

Post by Bolien » #192466

Pretty bitching new feature, thanks Izimann for adding this.
Actually making security bearable to play tbh.

Anyway, I think the gulag needs to be revamped a bit since there will be an influx of usage.
Specifically we need more miner gear, or for the machine to dispense it upon arrival.

One round today the captain and I sent five people to the gulag, mostly low point crimes (around 200).
There is only four sets of gear so this causes fights or people to just suicide instead of participating.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Re: Tele-Gulag

Post by Jacough » #192471

> Tele-gulag thinning the grey-shit horde through natural selection

I don't see the problem
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #192475

Another splendid addition to security thanks to yours truly. And coders of course.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #192480

> Playing security is actually bearable now
Thanks, coderbus
Bring back papercult.

Bolien
Byond Username: Bolien

Post by Bolien » #192493

That's right, forgot it was your vision originally Lubermancer.
A thanks to you as well sir.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #192510

Tele-gulag is great. Thank you so much.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #192570

What we really need are two additional boxes of prisoner IDs in HoS's and warden's locker. What I often see right now are prisoners stealing boxes upon returning to ensure nobody gets gulagged after them.
Bring back papercult.

Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #192619

Meta doesn't have such problem because prisoner console is in the brig proper, and gulag shuttle exit is just a short hallway outside.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #192666

> Be HoS
> Declare that we're only using gulag as punishment
> Gulag 10 people, run out of ID cards
> Some of them try to murder me upon their return, they are going straight back into gulag
> Eventually use cameras to check on them
> Clockwork floors, clockworld walls, clockwork airlocks, traps and runes everywhere
> Cultist miners dug into gulag and found ten angry people, who want to kill security.
> Try to take gulag by storm, get fucked by runes and die.
> They get back to the station and summon Ratvar.

10/10 feature.
Bring back papercult.

DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #192678

I guess they really...CLEANED YOUR CLOCK.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #192679

Yeah, funny thing is, if we just ignored them and let them do their own thing, we would have probably won.
Bring back papercult.

Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #192694

My face when everyone was bitching how tele-gulag would ruin security and turn sec into Hitler incarnate.
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #192696

They were right, you know, but it's not a bad thing. Cracking down on greytiders is a good thing.
Bring back papercult.

Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #192740

This is great, especially for dealing with round start shitlers breaking the brig windows in the first 30 seconds.
Pilgrim
Byond Username: Suspilgrim

Post by Pilgrim » #192795

The gulag does seem pretty hard to storm if the prisoners get organized, so I have a solution: take a humanized monkey from genetics, attach a backpack with a toxins bomb, and send him to the gulag. Activate it either by timer or signaller. Alternatively do this with a live greytider you were going to gulag anyway. Straightjacket and muzzle them to prevent your plan from going awry.
First: do no harm.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #192796

That is how you get banned
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #192811

Pilgrim wrote:The gulag does seem pretty hard to storm if the prisoners get organized, so I have a solution: take a humanized monkey from genetics, attach a backpack with a toxins bomb, and send him to the gulag. Activate it either by timer or signaller. Alternatively do this with a live greytider you were going to gulag anyway. Straightjacket and muzzle them to prevent your plan from going awry.
Sacrificing shitlers for the greater good of the station one max cap bomb at a time... I love it.
killerx09
Byond Username: Killerx09

Post by killerx09 » #192856

That sounds awesome, and makes the addition of the telegulag even more awesome.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #193004

InsaneHyena wrote:> Be HoS
> Declare that we're only using gulag as punishment
> Gulag 10 people, run out of ID cards
> Some of them try to murder me upon their return, they are going straight back into gulag
> Eventually use cameras to check on them
> Clockwork floors, clockworld walls, clockwork airlocks, traps and runes everywhere
> Cultist miners dug into gulag and found ten angry people, who want to kill security.
> Try to take gulag by storm, get fucked by runes and die.
> They get back to the station and summon Ratvar.

10/10 feature.
Shoulda just killed me when i stabbed you with a bone dagger since killing goliaths is the most easiest thing i can even do it with my fists
The future is horrible!
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #193008

Can Sec retrieve gear from the Equipment Reclaimer Station? I just saw a HoS accidentally(Clown was involved) get sent to the Gulag, and they could not retrieve their gear without getting their points. Sec or command IDs should be able to take stuff from the Terminal.

Also Sec will need more IDs and probably an expanded Gulag with more gear. This Gulag thing is quite popular for disposing of station trash.
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #193020

Alex Crimson wrote:Can Sec retrieve gear from the Equipment Reclaimer Station? I just saw a HoS accidentally(Clown was involved) get sent to the Gulag, and they could not retrieve their gear without getting their points. Sec or command IDs should be able to take stuff from the Terminal.

Also Sec will need more IDs and probably an expanded Gulag with more gear. This Gulag thing is quite popular for disposing of station trash.
Sec should be able to retreive the gear, I'll test it later to see if it is working like it should and make a fix
Pilgrim
Byond Username: Suspilgrim

Post by Pilgrim » #193022

What happens to the cuffs a prisoner has on when he's teleported to the station?
First: do no harm.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #193035

Pilgrim wrote:The gulag does seem pretty hard to storm if the prisoners get organized,
This is somewhat a problem, with the shuttle/gulag itself having non-existant/bad security features with almost zero remote access to Gulag from Brig in any meaningful way. At most you can view with cameras. Using tools and an engineer, you can set up safety features but there is some basic stuff that just needs to be added (basically lockdown buttons, panic syphon/'Put the prisoners to sleep' switches, etc.) and just basic remote operation of gulag without requiring an officer to sit on his ass 24/7 there to be effective.

Tele-brig stuff for gulag looks great, but gulag itself needs mapping/mechanical love.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #193041

It's fine. It's fun. It creates interesting prison vs sec dynamics. Powergaming through design is not fun. There have to be drawbacks.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #193043

lzimann wrote: Sec should be able to retreive the gear, I'll test it later to see if it is working like it should and make a fix
Could just be derpy Sec. It is a new feature and all.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #193061

Sec gets instant round removal, it shouldn't be easy for them to storm the gulag with all the prisoners in it.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #193070

Correct. And if it would be used by team antags to do their team-antagonism, even better. Even funnier.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #193088

Lumbermancer wrote:It's fine. It's fun. It creates interesting prison vs sec dynamics. Powergaming through design is not fun. There have to be drawbacks.
Very reasonable post, if it is foolproof and airtight it removes the chance for interesting things to happen. Use perma/timed cells if you do not want to take the risk
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #193914

Thats always been the point of the gulag. It's a great way to get shitlords off the station, but if you send too many people down there at once, it'll end up turning into a microrevolution on any officers dumb enough to carry on down
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #197040

When I first heard about it, I was pleased.

Then I realized how ridiculous it was. It's basically security's default for dealing with players now. There used to be strategies involving getting sent to perma and using implants/hidden uplinks/etc. to bust out. You could also get friends to break you out as well. Why is it so OP? It literally does security's entire job for it. It gobbles up all your items, even implants, and magically spits them out on the floor - giving you a 100% chance that the prisoner sent to Gulag is not a threat with absolutely 0 effort from security. Hell the stupid thing even warns security when someone finishes their sentence so they can grab anyone who actually does finish it and (assuming you want to treat it as perma) rinse and repeat. There's absolutely no rule against giving a killer a 1,000 point sentence, having them work the entire round to finish it, and then security is waiting for him when he leaves the ferry to do it all over again.

There's a balance to strike between security and antags, having the gulag become instant 100% safe punishment that is more reliable than anything on station means I would be an absolute fool to ever use a cell again. Even the most minor crimes would get a 50 point sentence if only because it makes it easy for me to find out if they were hiding anything without having to dig out every pocket/box/headset/etc.

I also don't like that I suggested this exact idea for REGULAR cells and it never caught on, but I leave for a bit and now suddenly we've got the system in place but ONLY for the Gulag. Even as someone who hates using it as a punishment for minor/moderate crimes, I'm hard pressed to ignore the convenience as HOS when I can instantly strip/sentence/secure a prisoner with a couple clicks whereas a regular sentence takes nearly a minute to carry out.

Why do we have this system for the GULAG, which just antagonizes the playerbase and makes security even more of a loathed presence, and not for the decent normal sentencing system that is much more flexible. I'm half-tempted to just go full Shitcurity when I play just to drive home the point that the shittiest way to treat most prisoners should not be the easiest, safest, and most convenient. I bombed someone last year for unjustly sending me to the Gulag, it's truly a shitty way to treat players... there is a massive difference between forcing someone to AFK for several minutes versus telling them they have to click rocks on their computer for 15 minutes or they will never leave. Either give this feature to regular cells or don't keep it for the Gulag, and either way don't make it a 100% risk-free way to dispose of everyone you suspect of a crime.
Last edited by Oldman Robustin on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #197042

^
Pretty much this, I enjoy playing security, but this is piss easy mode and far too abusable, I've seen officers gulag'ing people for breaking windows and stealing minor things. It's too easy to just toss them in there, ignore them for the rest of the round, there's no danger at all for security.

EDIT: mind you, I can't really talk, I generally just shoot greytiders on the spot when they break into the caps office/engineering/brig. So I barely use it as it is. Generally a flashbang followed by a 2-3 greyshit massacre either sends the masses into frothing revolution, or cools them to the idea of being shits real fast.
Last edited by Reece on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #197043

That's pretty much exactly what I said about it when it was getting implemented
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #197479

I'm still 100% content with gulag, as it gives me a way of getting station rid of shitlers and greytiders without murdering them. Don't get me wrong, I would kill them if I could, but for some reason being shit is not a capital crime.
Bring back papercult.

Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #197485

Oldman Robustin wrote:It's basically security's default for dealing with players now.
That's why I originally suggested to have X number of telepods, and each telepod would be "occupied" until prisoner got back.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #197491

If someone is truly tiding no admin would ever punish you for killing them as HOS.

I got executed for disarming a sec officers gun, running around the central hall, then throwing it into the brig during a traitor round. Was still told "Valid".
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #197496

The Gulag sorts out the men from the boys. Most shitty griffers end up killing themselves rather than putting in the minimum amount of effort required to meet their point quota. It works great. There are a few Sec players that take it way too far and Gulag everyone, or abuse the point system with unrealistic quotas, but thats a player problem.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #197502

I dunno, maybe a point maximum for security dependent on rank, an officer can give you 250, warden 500 at max. HoS and cap can give up to 1000 or just infinite using some kind of banishment option. not real sure on the numbers, just spitballing here.

Would this be an idea worth considering? Might be fine as it is, I don't see the need myself, but if it's a real issue to others go for it, amiright?

Edit: kinda adds an actual benefit to following the chain of command for high crimes, while limiting the silent justice bagemtagembrigem type players.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #197629

Make it cost bluespace crystals
The future is horrible!
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #197633

That doesnt seem fair. Bluespace crystals are not exactly common, and thats even assuming the Miners live long enough to produce anything at all. The Gulag is an effective way to deal with greytiders, i see no reason to change it. Although i do like the idea of limiting the points based on ID level. Hell, maybe even limit it to 500 max.
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #197643

If someone is truly tiding no admin would ever punish you for killing them as HOS.
I get bwoinked every time I cough wrong, I'm not even talking about executions. "Hey, Insane, why did you gulag Pocket? He says he dindu nuffin, why would you punish such a refined gentleman?"
Bring back papercult.

Reece

Post by Reece » #197657

Weird. I shoot shitlers on sight. I've gunned down people for breaking into the bridge, for breaking into engineering or atmos. Hell, I've killed people over pushing officers for their taser. Proles gotta get with the progrom or get ded.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #197659

Pushing officers for their taser is fair if they have it in hand all the time. They gotta learn to git gud some way.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Reece

Post by Reece » #197668

And they can keep it if they manage to stay alive duribg the ensuing manhunt.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #197672

Reece wrote:Weird. I shoot shitlers on sight. I've gunned down people for breaking into the bridge, for breaking into engineering or atmos. Hell, I've killed people over pushing officers for their taser. Proles gotta get with the progrom or get ded.
Disarming a police officer in real life can and does result in supporting officers shooting the suspect. Real life police officers shoot people for having things that even look similar to a gun or dangerous weapon. Our rules for Security players are even more harsh than real life sometimes!
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #197679

InsaneHyena wrote:
I get bwoinked every time I cough wrong, I'm not even talking about executions. "Hey, Insane, why did you gulag Pocket? He says he dindu nuffin, why would you punish such a refined gentleman?"
You're kind of a shitter though. Comparatively, I've made judicious use of the tele-gulag and have been bwoinked exactly zero times over it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gun Hog wrote:
Reece wrote:Weird. I shoot shitlers on sight. I've gunned down people for breaking into the bridge, for breaking into engineering or atmos. Hell, I've killed people over pushing officers for their taser. Proles gotta get with the progrom or get ded.
Disarming a police officer in real life can and does result in supporting officers shooting the suspect. Real life police officers shoot people for having things that even look similar to a gun or dangerous weapon. Our rules for Security players are even more harsh than real life sometimes!
Yes, but your average sec officer shouldn't have anything lethal on them aside from a baton. And if you have the greytider in custody for stealing a taser, toss em on the gulag etc. Don't be looking for excuses to murder as security.
Last edited by Atlanta-Ned on Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #197687

>Not grabbing a robusting extinguisher from the nearest wall when someone needs to die

The robust man's best weapon in spess is all around you
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #197690

Can't do the time then don't do the crime
Reece

Post by Reece » #197692

Atlanta-Ned wrote:
InsaneHyena wrote:
You're kind of a shitter though. Comparatively, I've made judicious use of the tele-gulag and have been bwoinked exactly zero times over it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gun Hog wrote:
Yes, but your average sec officer shouldn't have anything lethal on them aside from a baton. And if you have the greytider in custody for stealing a taser, toss em on the gulag etc. Don't be looking for excuses to murder as security.
I generally see it as 'don't give sec a reason to kill you' working as an officer is a thankless job, there's a very real chance that sticking someone in for a short sentence sees them murdering you in a maint hallway later because you annoyed them, if some greysuited shitwaffle breaks into engineering then he's planning to hack into other places, if he breaks into caps office he's after the gun, or all access, both of which generally lead to a shit cascade, the brig is pretty much the same. it's not worth the risk to just brig someone and then let them go because 9/10 they'll just take the slap on the wrist, do it again and then kill you when you try and stop them; killing them there and then when they do it cuts the shit cascade off at the knees before it can begin the downward spiral.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #197693

Aloraydrel wrote:Can't do the time then don't do the crime
Especially when the time is AN ETERNITY IN THE DEPTHS OF HELL
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Sidon
Byond Username: Sidon

Post by Sidon » #197836

Aloraydrel wrote:Can't do the time then don't get caught
FTFY