Crafting food with TGUI

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
deputi
Byond Username: Deputi

Crafting food with TGUI

Post by deputi » #195083

It's been nearly two months since the crafting menu was made to use TGUI yet the long loading time for the foods list hasn't been fixed. Trying to play as a chef is suffering because I have to wait for the list to load every time I open the menu to do my job. It never took this long to load the list before TGUI was implemented. If it hasn't been fixed after nearly two months, I think it would be easier to revert the crafting menu to what it was using before TGUI. Then, TGUI could be added back to crafting whenever someone feels like optimizing it.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Re: Crafting food with TGUI

Post by Wyzack » #195085

I wholeheartedly agree, was talking to some other admins about it the other day. It is thoroughly broken and needs to be fixed
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #195087

I dont know if this is the same menu, but the traitor uplink, syndicate uplink, and crew monitoring console all have the same effect (either dont open, take 30 minutes to open, or crash the client when they get opened)
Pls revert
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #195098

Too many strings. Remove the popup tooltips.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #195110

REMEMBER HOW I WAS RIGHT?

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 19#p179417

THANKS REMIE
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #195111

Last edited by Remie Richards on Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
私は完璧
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #195114

Remie Richards wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:-snip-
:salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt:

Why we even have a crafting menu as opposed to having everything just made step by step with items laying on the ground, and have ways to make them all on the wiki.

Oh wait, i forgot, the """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""ABSOLUTE"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" seperation of the code base from the player base.

You can't have one without the other, 50 coders (whom of which will probally never be online at the same time) can't support and run a server.
And without the code base, the playerbase has no where to go.

Your holding a bomb that's slowly ticking down, only to assure our mutually guaranteed destruction, and the more you kick and shit on the player base, the quicker that clock is going to go.

Soon.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #195115

Honestly, the main reason I don't play some jobs is because the guis freeze or even crash my game. It'd be nice to be able to use them without that "feature."
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #195116

Last edited by Remie Richards on Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
私は完璧
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #195117

>I'm intentionally going to severely inconvenience every downstream server and piss off every chef player and everybody that doesn't play chef but has to scroll past that huge window of fuck just to get back at someone I disagree with.

I can't :^) hard enough.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #195118

When this was launched people said it could be improved after it was implemented. I said why not make it good first and then implement it. Never really got an answer beyond "the code is good quality" and here we still are months later, it is hard to navigate, laggy as fuck and causes all kinds of crashes. I don't fucking care how good the code is if it causes crashes for so many people.

Not only do I lag and sometimes crash when opening the menu the first time, it also lags/crashes any time I make a food item as the entire giant menu for whatever reason closes and reopens again
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #195125

>compact mode
Compact mode doesn't do shit to help since the huge ass delay is when you TRY TO OPEN THE TGUI WINDOW.
Adding a tgui button doesn't do shit for that lag.

This is NOT about the whitespace or whatever. This is about the LAG when using tgui.
This isn't any sort of visual aesthetic or anything. This is a functionality issue that people have a real problem with.
The whitespace argument is irrelevant to the issue at hand. I will start deleting posts if it continues.

Also I recall someone asking in another thread why we keep porting things to tgui before fixing the issues present in tgui that people are aware of.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #195127

I didn't actually see "I will start deleting posts if it continues." from Shadow's post, but I'll just make it clear I've retracted my comments myself, after talking with Saeg in private.
Last edited by Remie Richards on Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
私は完璧
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #195136

palpatine213 wrote:Compact mode doesn't do shit to help since the huge ass delay is when you TRY TO OPEN THE TGUI WINDOW.
Now I'm not a coder, but isn't the delay caused by lots of shit being read at once? Like when you right click on a huge pile of items?
palpatine213 wrote:I will start deleting posts if it continues.
lmao.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #195430

Could just split the crafting menu into generic terms, then for all those generic terms there's sub-terms so that you load less at one time.

So like, one generic term is weapons, one is ammo, one is Food, etc

And then below weapons is throwing, ranged, melee, unconventional

Below ammo is makeshift, etc.

Below Food is whatever the food items are made out of, so bread items would be under Wheat, meat would be under Meat, veggies/fruits would be under Veggies/Fruits menu
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #195505

Can we just like, remove TGUI?

I swear, I feel like you guys are trying to make chef as frustrating and awful as possible, between the TGUI changes and the testmerge of a wholly negatively received PR (muh rotting food) that wasn't even tested (even fucking salt and pepper melt).

Besides, what the fuck were you guys thinking when you merged TGUI when it's a downgrade in every sense from what we had?

Fuck you people are dumb sometimes.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #195510

It's not just food crafting.

The fucking SUIT SENSORS window causes clients to lagcrash sometimes. (Yes, some people actually use suit sensors to find dead bodies or location of alive people.)
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #195515

Archie700 wrote:It's not just food crafting.

The fucking SUIT SENSORS window causes clients to lagcrash sometimes. (Yes, some people actually use suit sensors to find dead bodies or location of alive people.)
Don't worry, it'll be fixed!
Spoiler:
by 2020
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #195646

I like the attempt but this change has made certain things broken and lagstatic.
-Never had issues with the previous uplink, and while did not care for the upgrade, dealt with it. Then more 'upgrades,' and now for the last two weeks, my traitor uplink window likes to crash/bug out and force me to restart/relog.
-Foodcrafting with the new thing is awful and I've not played chef in a couple months because its impossible to use.
-When playing doctor, cannot use the crew locator handheld or console because it locks up half the time and kills the client/just doesn't work.
If its been 2 months of sitting with this, why haven't we undone this shit to menus that work?

These are basic menus, functional over form is the name of the game. This should not be so difficult to grasp.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #195649

When you get to the point that TRAITOR UPLINKS can't be loaded properly sometimes, you have to ask why people said it was "good code". Did it just look pretty to you guys, that's why it's "good"?
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #195677

fuck you nerds, get a real computer you little shits
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #195678

I have a pretty beefy computer, there is no excuse for this shit
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #195709

Unless they're literally rendering it in IE4 you can't blame the client's computer for being unable to display fucking text.

oooooh but the code looks pretty when you open it in a text editor
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #195710

I highly doubt anyone is going to put forth the time and energy to revert tens of thousands of lines of tgui.

And the guy who made it left so it's probably not going to be fixed for a long time either.

But yeah my computer can happily run a VR headset and not the fucking chef menu
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #195714

Never before have i been so fucking pissed about being right

"We can fix the problems after we implement it"

"But the code is good"

Fuck off, if it crashes everyone the code is objectively bad, and now the guy who made it fucked off so we are stuck with it. Amazing
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #195720

I've had a few client lag issues in byond related to things sending a fuckload of text at once (a large mass of text coming in when I'm trying to highlight something for copypasta is a common culprit, especially if it's something that makes a noise like an adminpm) and the whole thing stalls until it's finished updating. Oddly enough my win7 laptop didnt have this problem.

I'm wondering what the odds are that the coders who love this shit aren't experiencing the crippling lag 'cause their test server is being run on the same machine as their client with no other players doing anything so of course it works perfectly for them.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #195739

Bolien
Byond Username: Bolien

Post by Bolien » #195743

Vote IAMGOOFBALL for Headmin 2016
Yes.