Lowpop Deathmatch

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
FJKrake

Lowpop Deathmatch

Post by FJKrake » #15522

Hi! Some of you had the terrific idea to remove the extended game mode, this is what happens during low pop rounds below 10 ppl:

1. Murderboner traitor kills everyone
2. Metagrudger kills only people he doesn't like and erps with his buddies via steam and skype.

This kills the server population even more, as people are that are murderboned hard will just quit the server.

Reintroduce the extended game mode below 10 players:

1. Allow people to sandbox
2. Allow the server polulation to grow above 10 players so that we can actually have a decent round

As it is low-pop is pretty much a death-match mode. Kill them before they kill you. You can not sandbox properly, you can not role play properly, you can not organize events or have some decent entertainment other than:

1. Powergaming and killing the traitor before he kills you
2. Roll for Traitor and whore some TCs to murderbone yourself

In conclusion: Reintroduction of extended for populations BELOW 10 players would foster the game quality and keep the server filled for decent rounds in the long run. An added chance of random events during said extended mode would be acceptable.

EDIT: Gah I think wrong subforum. Someone move this topic into the TG Station feedback section, muchas gracias!
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Re: Lowpop Deathmatch

Post by miggles » #15544

de nada amigo, moved
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Perakp
Byond Username: Perakp

Post by Perakp » #15555

I thought your suggestion would be to have a deathmatch gamemode for lowpop rounds. Deathmatch is mucho better than extended, no?
FJKrake

Post by FJKrake » #15577

Well if its a legit deathmatch with equal opportunities in lowpop id say "Fuck it why not" and would give it a shot. As it is however lowpop rounds are heavily biased towards 1. Traitor 2. HOS / HOP / Captain Players 3. Early joinging Greyshirts.

If you join a lowpop round on Artyom currently and you dont gear up on guns etc early by greytiding / being a head with access, youre fucked. You can and will get killed after spawning in. Spawn in, say "Hi" over comms, get murderboned. Happened to me multiple times. Around 6 Months ago we had extended running and it worked just fine during lowpop rounds. It was a bit boring but the pop was stable. People joined in, rejoined, sandboxed, rped, etc. Right now its more like: Shitround with 5 PPL, Shitround with 3 PPL, Shitround with 4 PPL. Shitrounds in quick succession.

Bring back the sandboxing and graveyard shifts so people can enjoy this quiet phase during low pop rounds and tinker etc. If you must, add extra events and higher event chances so that the crew has to work TOGETHER against a common threat. 5 People with 1 Traitor is just gonna be 4 dead guys and 1 murderboner in most cases.

6 Months ago, this extended lowpop system worked. We had LONG ass shifts, yes, but we also had a stable pop, good chances to tinker and (e)RP and when the time came to leave, there was always 1 admin to spawn stuff and make us leave. As soon as it was 10+ regular shifts commenced. Why did you guys change this into a deathmatch mode?
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #15600

Edit: My bad this is the /tg/ forum
Last edited by paprika on Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
ShizCalev
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ShizCalev
Github Username: ShizCalev

Post by ShizCalev » #15605

People end up just getting bored on extended low-pop and ghost/go braindead.
ImageImage
>Be ling
>Spread misinformation about how SM works to sabotage it
OOC: ChemicalRascal: Lying about game mechanics in relation to an engine that is poorly understood by most isn't cool, though
Alzam
Byond Username: Alzam

Post by Alzam » #15609

I don't think I've ever been in an extended round that didn't end up with at least one person banned for killing/grief. There's just something about that roundtype, man.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #15613

ShizCalev wrote:People end up just getting bored on extended low-pop and ghost/go braindead.
You're a no-fun sybil player, you know nothing of extended. Some of my favorite rounds have been server 2 extended rounds, people just need to get creative and cool off from the antag hunting. But the /tg/ codebranch will never, ever have transfer shuttles or anything to work around the boredom of extended with no admins on so...
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
FJKrake

Post by FJKrake » #15659

Alzam wrote:I don't think I've ever been in an extended round that didn't end up with at least one person banned for killing/grief. There's just something about that roundtype, man.
Its not the roundtype, its the fact that some players are simply murderboning twats that cant play SS13 without killing someone for 60 minutes.
Shinz wrote:People end up just getting bored on extended low-pop and ghost/go braindead.
Thats okay! More people join and you can shove the braindead into the dorms / medbay area. Whats wrong with that? You get more players joining in.