Combat

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Combat

Post by calzilla1 » #211370

This thread is for discussing the tg combat system. IMO tg has probably the best combat system. This server has a LOT of feed back of when you get hit. Try this, go to goon or vg and start fighting and try your hardest to not look at the text box and try figure out when youre hit and how much damage youre doing.
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Combat

Post by PKPenguin321 » #211479

yeah shit like how we actually have attack animations and have the sprite of the weapon go transparent and float over the target on hit is actually really cool. easy to overlook but we have really good visual feedback here.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #211480

also, runescape damage numbers when?
Spoiler:
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #211484

PKPenguin321 wrote:also, runescape damage numbers when?
New implant?
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #211486

Any runescape reference is a good feature.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #211513

What do people think about the "hold up" mechanic other servers use?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #211518

Lumbermancer wrote:What do people think about the "hold up" mechanic other servers use?
Interesting in theory on slower movement speed servers, but all it's going to end up being is an "auto succeed" tazer shot when the guy saxing away from you inevitably keeps running and triggers the auto-fire.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #211521

i really wish that actual uses for weapons beyond kill people was a thing tbh

unfortunately robust combat means that stopping to attempt communication ends in your death 99% of the time so nobody tries

that and no fear of death
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #211535

Saegrimr wrote:
Lumbermancer wrote:What do people think about the "hold up" mechanic other servers use?
Interesting in theory on slower movement speed servers, but all it's going to end up being is an "auto succeed" tazer shot when the guy saxing away from you inevitably keeps running and triggers the auto-fire.
you could have it where alt clicking targets the mob, and initally you have a 15% percent chance to hit the target with the weapon. this goes up every second by 10%. if you miss the first shot it goes down 10%, the rest of the shots are 15%. you only fire when they move, if they stop moving after you missed you will still hold aim on them.

if you stand still and are not targeting someone, you will start with 15%
if you are standing still and then move while you are targeting something the percent goes to 10%.

neural augmentations increase the base aim percentage by 20% (research augments
advanced neural augmentations increase the base aim percentage by 40% (nuclear operative implant, 4 TC, comes with autoimplanter)
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #211539

Saegrimr wrote:Interesting in theory on slower movement speed servers, but all it's going to end up being is an "auto succeed" tazer shot when the guy saxing away from you inevitably keeps running and triggers the auto-fire.
There's a delay between pointing your gun and locking down ready to fire. Pointing gun stops when you move as well. It's not supposed to be used in combat, but rather during searches, brigging procedures and such.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #211551

calzilla1 wrote:
New implant?
Combat hud when
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #211574

If it could only be done on stationary targets, and possibly require you to be within a certain distance (like 3-4 tiles) and require that there isn't anything dense between you and the person you're trying to hold up. If it was like that it'd probably gel more with our high energy playstyle
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #212206

Holding someone up only works if they aren't armed though, anyone with a ranged stun will just blast you the moment you aim at them before most people that rely on it can react. Since anyone you'd want to search is generally armed it a bit of a problem.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
420goslingboy69
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Usednapkin

Post by 420goslingboy69 » #212231

A really interesting thing was when Seclites were first introduced. They had no sound, no inhand sprite, and did 10 damage. This was before the flashing red jelly screen of death garbage when you get hit, but rather the persistent effect of it. The seclite would enable you to stand next to a person and get like 4 free hits before they even knew what was up, because there was no sound or attack animation and it only popped up as one single line of red text.
i play :):):):):)autumn sinnow
this man's:):):):):) army
DESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERD:):):):):)ESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROY:):):):):)ERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDEST:):):):):)ROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDES:):):):):)TROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYER
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Dagdammit
Byond Username: Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #212309

What about a lock-on mechanic, similar to hotline miami? If you see someone, you can right click on them and choose "take aim", which puts a crosshair icon above their head (for you). All attacks (or all thrown and ranged attacks?) where you click on a tile in their general direction (in a 90 or 180-degree arc) are automatically fired at the targeted person's current tile.

Losing sight of the target for half a second breaks the lock-on, as does any teleportation (on their part or yours). Others get little or no information about you locking on to someone; maybe just a small icon on anybody who's currently locked on to you, with no notice in text box. (That way it's only noticeable if you're looking at yout surroundings.)

Design intent: lock-on is handy, but fallible; target can evade with sick serpentine maneuvers, and the truly robust can counter by aiming manually. Ducking around corners breaks lock-on. Knowledge of the mechanic & experience with it means that an armed individual who walks in and threatens someone unprepared has greater ability to shoot them the moment target acts up, making holdups more feasible.

Not sure what input would drop your current lock-on, you should definitely be able to do it mid-combat.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #212335

Dagdammit wrote:What about a lock-on mechanic, similar to hotline miami? If you see someone, you can right click on them and choose "take aim", which puts a crosshair icon above their head (for you). All attacks (or all thrown and ranged attacks?) where you click on a tile in their general direction (in a 90 or 180-degree arc) are automatically fired at the targeted person's current tile.

Losing sight of the target for half a second breaks the lock-on, as does any teleportation (on their part or yours). Others get little or no information about you locking on to someone; maybe just a small icon on anybody who's currently locked on to you, with no notice in text box. (That way it's only noticeable if you're looking at yout surroundings.)

Design intent: lock-on is handy, but fallible; target can evade with sick serpentine maneuvers, and the truly robust can counter by aiming manually. Ducking around corners breaks lock-on. Knowledge of the mechanic & experience with it means that an armed individual who walks in and threatens someone unprepared has greater ability to shoot them the moment target acts up, making holdups more feasible.

Not sure what input would drop your current lock-on, you should definitely be able to do it mid-combat.
throwback to that one PR remie made that killed tactical chairs
Spoiler: