ITT we brainstorm uses for BZ

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

ITT we brainstorm uses for BZ

Post by bandit » #211559

This is not a "get rid of it" thread, this is an "improve not remove" thread. BZ is currently used to subdue slimes. What else would it be used for on a space station? Tell me and I will do my best to code it.

Reference Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-Quinuclidinyl_benzilate

Facepunch is the source of the code but the server doesn't exist anymore; I forget whether Goon has something similar.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: ITT we brainstorm uses for BZ

Post by oranges » #211565

We need to add uses for plasma first

A pipe connection for plasma should be required for the engine (the item that sends bolts to start the engines and maintain them)

Same for the radiation collectors.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #211566

It could bind with plasma in the air forming nanofrost.

Pros: deals with plasma removing risk of fire.
Cons: Things get cold as fuck.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #211568

BZ could act as an accelerant for plasma, helping it burn better than in a regular air or pure O2 environment, though it isn't flammable by itself. So potentially useful for turbine autism and making smaller, more compact bombs.
Scrub109
Byond Username: Scrub109

Post by Scrub109 » #211576

"with regression to primitive, involuntary behaviors such as floccillation and disrobing." ERP Alarm aside how powerful would it be if it moved random clothing to your hand, you can spam equip if you know BZ is around but having an option to disarm clothing could be interesting. It might be too powerful if you get unlucky and grab the jumpsuit, dropping all your shit. Doesn't affect people with hardsuits unless they forgot internals or people with both hands full. And it could make a counter to the living clothing antag that someone was working on. Or another idea was that if you use a universal recorder while you hallucinate you could sell the tape for points or deconstruct it for levels.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #211600

BZ unlocks ERP verbs

Suddenly all the powergamers rush to get an air tank of BZ gas to huff while they validhunt because the stuns on the ERP verbs last for millenia
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #211601

I'd rather find uses for Freon, which was another shitty idea of a memegas but had potential.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #211603

I want cryosaline to function like freon.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #211609

Not once did I see someone use it on slimes, since xenobiologists don't need to subdue them, and regular crew will just extinguish slimes. Like what oranges said - we should add more abilities to plasma and our existing gasses.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #211627

plasma input required for most medical machines when btw

nerf sleepers and make engineering useful wowee
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #211852

I am still taking suggestions.

The key thing to keep in mind is that SS13, not too long ago, was a game about on-station dangers, not lavaland memes and other things that do not involve a death trap disguised as a space station. A space station with an armory, syndicate opponents, a nuke -- it makes perfect sense for them to keep chemical weapons around. More sense than a leaderboard completely separate from social contact about KOing "Bubblegum" or what the fuck ever is being memed now.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #211864

>>chemical weapons that are countered by just wearing internals
>>chemical weapons that are in the atmospherics department
>>complaining about lavaland
>>calling the silly little hallucination gas which is arguably less deadly then CO2, a chemical weapon.

very good
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #211865

Replace BZ with Freon. Freon has much more potential for practical applications.
TechnoAlchemist wrote:>>chemical weapons that are countered by just wearing internals
>>chemical weapons that are in the atmospherics department
>>complaining about lavaland
>>calling the silly little hallucination gas which is arguably less deadly then CO2, a chemical weapon.

very good
This is why I loved Freon. That shit hurt you on contact, no internals box is going to save you.
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #211883

replace anethestic and use bz as it with its side effects

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #211892

Saegrimr wrote:I'd rather find uses for Freon, which was another shitty idea of a memegas but had potential.
Replace all the bits of the station that have cooled oxygen with freon. Cryo tubes? Powered by freon. Server rooms? Cooled by freon. Tcomms? Freon surrounded.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #211901

Yes, this. It is an industrial coolant after all, let us use it to cool things
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #211931

in high doses make it a truth serum

"you feel an irresistible urge to tell the truth!"

nothing can cause more chaos than honest spacemen.
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #211934

But no one will listen to that tho
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #211942

Cheimon wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:I'd rather find uses for Freon, which was another shitty idea of a memegas but had potential.
Replace all the bits of the station that have cooled oxygen with freon. Cryo tubes? Powered by freon. Server rooms? Cooled by freon. Tcomms? Freon surrounded.
Fuck yes. Only reason Freon got removed in the first place is because admins couldn't be assed to do their jobs and ban non-antags who abused it.
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #211953

Luke Cox wrote:
Cheimon wrote:
Fuck yes. Only reason Freon got removed in the first place is because admins couldn't be assed to do their jobs and ban non-antags who abused it.
Gotta pay for bans now kiddo
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #211966

Luke Cox wrote:
Cheimon wrote:
>teleported people in circles because of slipping + atmos code
>extremely laggy
>crashed the servers repeatedly
>couldn't even find it on air alarms or scrub it properly
>still kills through hardsuits
>still can't be properly removed from the mix tank without remodeling atmos
>more reports of it crashing the server again last night

Damn lazy admins if only they'd banned more people Freon woulda worked fine codewise.
bandit wrote:I am still taking suggestions.

The key thing to keep in mind is that SS13, not too long ago, was a game about on-station dangers
And it still largely is! But PVE adventures against aliens and horrors have been a side part of SS13 longer than you've been playing it, and a sci-fi staple longer than either of us have been alive.

Whining about lavaland doesn't actually make BZ any more interesting, nor does it excuse it having basically zero mechanical or IC reason to be thrown into atmos storage. Making it start on station doesn't make it magically good or worthwhile.
I think Freon is a nightmare right now, but I genuinely hope it works out if for no other reason than that there's been a lot of love put into the visuals.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #211968

Cheimon wrote:
This is a great idea.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #211969

@Kor: I say that because I don't think I saw a single person get banned for intentionally releasing it as a non-antag. As for the bugs, Freon just needs to be simplified honestly. Goof got a little carried away. Just make it a gas that is really fucking cold and does damage on contact.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #211979

Can the freezer have frozen floors and a temp control?
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #211990

There are other things that fit thematically with freon but probably aren't as sensible to add. Cooling oxygen is a classic part of bomb making, but doesn't involve freon. Gas freezers should in theory use some sort of refridgerant chemical ('freon' commonly refers to a particular refrigerant in real life), but at the moment are mechanical. Storage fridges at the moment don't chill at all, but in theory might, and could use small quantities of freon to do so. Nanofrost, used by atmos techs, rapidly cools an area and might conceivably be linked to freon. The temperature gun might conceivably have some sort of built-in freon synthesizer. How exactly do ice peppers/frost oil work? Do they in fact synthesise a solid/liquid form of the gas, and could this be a primary way of manufacturing it in tiny quantities, like there's solid plasma? Also, in real life 'freon' is a trademark for various sorts of CFCs: key chemicals in the production of various aerosols (like spray paint cans) and the destroyers of part of the ozone layer (I have no idea how you'd amp that up to be appropriate for this game).

All of these would be pretty unnecessary additions, but they definitely show there's potential for this gas-thing to be something that's weirdly present in a wide variety of spots. To tie them together thematically, like plasma has for other parts of the game.

As far as BZ goes, you are essentially looking at a gas that only exists to be a weapon. The obvious implementation of it is in various weapons: gas grenades, special bullets, some kind of truth serum, all that...I don't think it has that much potential because a lot of its niches are already filled with things like mindbreaker or n2o.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #212003

Freon should be able to cool much more rapidly and better than the electric freezers. Servers should emit tons of heat and break if the air gets too hot (more ways to sabotage, which is a plus in my book).
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #212004

This is a BZ thread

Re: new crashing, no one could give me details
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #212007

iamgoofball wrote:This is a BZ thread

Re: new crashing, no one could give me details
We decided quickly that BZ is shit. This is now a Freon thread. Fix Freon instead.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #212011

"BZ has no uses so therefore it's just a grief gas, and so its shit"
"Hey guys suggest BZ uses I'll add them"
"BZ IS SHIT REMOVE"
Isane
Byond Username: Isane

Post by Isane » #212026

Shouldn't the process being making sure stuff that is added has a use, instead of adding stuff then trying to make uses for it?
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #212030

Make it make pests not grow on plants surrounded by it.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #212050

Make it increase the mutation chance of slimes that split near BZ.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #212054

BZ doesn't need uses, because once a gas is out in the air, there's no way to keep it from spreading - making any practical use of it impossible.

Even plasma has no uses, other than making bombs. It's also a grief gas, but it's around because you can actually use it as antag, and it's well-established enough as a grief gas that non-antags know not to touch. Unlike Freon or BZ, which aren't very useful for antags, but are released for the memes by non-antags.

There is no solution for BZ, and honestly, if we don't get a rework of the atmospheric system that changes gas mechanics to be something more that "I use those two tanks to make bombs" or "lel open the canister/flood distro with teh gas" with no ways of controlling it, where it either gets everywhere or gets scrubbed out and nothing in-between, there will never be any practical use for any atmospheric gas to begin with.

We are better off just removing that dumb hallucination meme.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #212068

Sligneris wrote:once a gas is out in the air, there's no way to keep it from spreading - making any practical use of it impossible.

Even plasma has no uses, other than making bombs. It's also a grief gas, but it's around because you can actually use it as antag, and it's well-established enough as a grief gas that non-antags know not to touch.
> no uses except bombs

Radiation collectors, turbine engine, essential breathing for plasmamen, flamethrowers, and of course spreading fire in the hallways (for area denial or killing, both of which can be done by non-antagonists if it calls for it). It's also an air-based poison, more detectable but faster at killing than co2 or n2o.

Plasma can also be turned into a liquid, at which point it's essential for use in chemistry (to make cryo, the most-used medicine), virology, and xenobiology. If you spill it from a beaker, it goes into a gas.

It's also a relevant part of mining and can be exported for cash.

Every single department on the station has a non-antag use for plasma except for security. It's much more than a grief gas, which is why it exists in game.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #212069

TURBIN BEST ENGIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Also don't be silly, literally nobody floods CO2 because of how fast it filters and how slow it works.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #212074

I got a use for BZ

gettin removed LMAO
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #212081

Cheimon wrote:Plasma can also be turned into a liquid, at which point it's essential for use in chemistry (to make cryo, the most-used medicine), virology, and xenobiology. If you spill it from a beaker, it goes into a gas.

It's also a relevant part of mining and can be exported for cash.
Irrelevant. Liquid and solid states of plasma don't really matter while we're talking about atmospheric gases.
Cheimon wrote:Radiation collectors, turbine engine, essential breathing for plasmamen, flamethrowers, and of course spreading fire in the hallways (for area denial or killing, both of which can be done by non-antagonists if it calls for it). It's also an air-based poison, more detectable but faster at killing than co2 or n2o.
Fine enough. My point is mostly that most of these uses involve inserting tanks of plasma instead of the actual gas itself. Once you insert a tank of plasma into a radiation collector, you don't have to deal with the gas contained in it ever again. Once you insert it into a flamethrower or use it for internals as a plasmaman, you just gotta refill it once in a while.

Let me address a different thing - when's the last time you saw a canister being opened that didn't involve fucking stuff up? Once a canister is open, or pumped into distro, atmos is fucked until someone takes extra effort to unfuck it. That's the problem with the atmospheric system - it is extremely tricky to handle it efficiently. Once it's in the air, you can barely contain it, and it will cause issues as long as you don't srub it out entirely.

That's why you rarely see plasma rooms. Because even if you set them up perfectly, it'll probably get fucked as soon as someone opens an airlock. Because ironically, this atmospheric simulator actually lacks proper airlocks, let alone the ability to set one for specific gases to be filtered out. Gases just really aren't remotely controllable - it's not like chemistry where you can control each and every unit.

That's why even if BZ does get any useful propertiers, it will still remain hazardous. There is no need to add any use to BZ, because as long as it exists, it will be used as a grief tool by people who consider it funny.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #212083

buff BZ to make your vision hazy and deal stamina damage in addition to hallucinations, then put some canisters of it on the nuke op base
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #212101

everyone having internals makes toxins with only inhalation drawbacks pretty useless.
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #212127

Off-topic and unnecessary arguing:
Spoiler:
Sligneris wrote: Irrelevant. Liquid and solid states of plasma don't really matter while we're talking about atmospheric gases.
Ah, I see. I thought we were talking about BZ as a feature, where conceivably it could have another more useful state of matter that the gas was a necessary prerequisite to (thus explaining the need for deadly tanks of the stuff to sit around).
this atmospheric simulator actually lacks proper airlocks, let alone the ability to set one for specific gases to be filtered out. Gases just really aren't remotely controllable - it's not like chemistry where you can control each and every unit.
I agree that proper airlocks might be a fine feature.
Fine enough. My point is mostly that most of these uses involve inserting tanks of plasma instead of the actual gas itself. Once you insert a tank of plasma into a radiation collector, you don't have to deal with the gas contained in it ever again. Once you insert it into a flamethrower or use it for internals as a plasmaman, you just gotta refill it once in a while.

Let me address a different thing - when's the last time you saw a canister being opened that didn't involve fucking stuff up?
Flamethrowers are actually kind of neat in that they produce a spurt of the gas that is then lit, but anyway:
The key to plasma being useful is not that it's useful as a released gas. That is intentionally hazardous. The point is that plasma is useful anyway (as a fuel, as a catalyst, etc) and there are lots of opportunities for it to be *accidentally* released. Plasma therefore fits the game's theme well, where apparently sensible technologies are presented in a needlessly dangerous way. It is important that it is a gas because it makes an otherwise great material actually hazardous. Apart from in toxins, I most commonly see a canister being opened in engineering, where it's unclear whether the engineer deliberately sabotaged things or just accidentally poisoned the room.

This is also why Freon has a lot of potential, because it's a gas which could have legitimate uses (cooling, maybe propellant) that are dangerous and could be sabotaged.

It's why BZ (back on topic!) is harder to think of uses for. It is not a legitimate thing: it's purposefully designed as a weapon only, and that means it's got no obvious role on the station. If you want it to make sense, you need to give it legitimate uses that are easily sabotaged. Here are some ideas (obviously if you added all of them it'd be over the top):

* BZ makes humans say things and gibber about their genetic condition. This makes it standard kit in genetics, where BZ-based internals allow geneticists to test blocks more easily.

* BZ having a robotics application: some sort of buff for cyborgs like faster recharging that makes stationing it wrenched up to their chargers as a necessity. What's good for the machine is bad for the man, perhaps. In the future, mech-hydraulics require super-pressurised gas, but it turns out the necessary gas is a powerful hallucinogenic. That makes it necessary to have wrenched up by the mech bay.

* BZ's hallucination is just an odd side-effect of its main vocation: gravity generation. It turns out this is *the* gas for making stations not-shit, so it's wrenched into the gravgen room/pumped in on a minute-by-minute basis with a careful decontamination airlock.

* BZ turns out to be very fun in minute doses. It's hooked up to special hookahs that don't fuck up the player screen but instead give them a temporary boost or something, like being less hungry and more stun-resistant (nicotine already does this). Of course, they're easily fucked up, releasing far too much, and require restocking from time to time.

* BZ has some kind of lavaland application: it turns out shooting big gas-loads of the stuff at otherworldly creatures messes them up, too, and that's a good thing. A weapon, but a useful one. I don't mine, but you can see the concept, it's a flamethrower equivalent.
Dagdammit
Byond Username: Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #212356

-Small doses of BZ could mitigate both the performance reduction of injuries and the awareness thereof, a la miner's salve.

-Wiki specifically says BZ has a high safety margin, making it "incapacitating rather than a toxic chemical warfare agent". Given the peripheral nervous system effects, maybe BZ dosage renders people more susceptible to *nonlethal* subdual tactics- increasing recovery times for physical stuns, knockdown, possibly lowers threshold for falling unconscious.

And then I started thinking bigger....

-One angle I really like is the idea that BZ is this subtle gas which makes you *suggestible*, primarily to auditory stimuli. For starters, say that people with BZ dosage freeze up for about a second (longer for higher doses?) anytime they hear a Compli-O-Nator message or Beepsky alert. NT's actually looking into BZ's effectiveness as a subtle way of making the crew more compliant; those atmos BZ canisters could instead be stored in the Engineering security office, to be deployed when the Captain or HoS sees fit.
Spoiler:
--If you want to get more ambitious, you could build all kinds of suggestibility effects around hearing key phrases, and even have BZ hallucinations only occur in response to suggestions- traitor feeds BZ gas into system, then starts shouting about, say, "Cult" on telecomms and grins as other crew members soon also report sightings. The odds of an effect triggering increase based on BZ dosage and LOUDNESS (both the font-size "volume" and whether the phrase was in all caps or accompanied by any exclamation points).
---Phrases like "stop", "freeze" and "hold" can cause the same momentary hesitation effect that NT has primed their Beepskies and comply-o-nators to produce.
---Antag references like "traitor", "syndie", "ling", "xenos", etc. can make you hallucinate fake instances of those enemies. Similar for "monkeys", "clowns", "deathsquad", "greytide", "space carp" and maybe "shitcurity". Phrases like "Malf AI" or "AI Rogue" can cause APCs to appear blue...
---"Murder", "Kill", "Lynch" and "Blood" could have a chance to make you see bloodstains, see blood on people's hands, and even switch your intent to aggressive. (by same token, phrases with "Help" could switch your intent to helpful.)
---"Drop" or "Put" followed by "down" could make you drop what you're holding.
-One more thing, running with the "chemical weapon" angle. Wiki entry notes that BZ settles on things and lingers, with a half-life of 3 *weeks* in water and soil. Say that high levels of the BZ gas in a tile (same "overkill" point at which you get visible particles?) could "taint" beakers, food, sinks, hydroponic trays, patches & pills, etc. so that they contain trace amounts of reagent form of BZ.
Spoiler:
-might be simpler to say that food, beakers and other handheld objects get one-off BZ reagent doses while objects like sinks and trays get a binary "tainted" state.
--Tables and floors get "tainted" by gas too, they'll add reagent BZ to food, patches & pills that get set on them (unless said food was on a plate.)
--Oh, and gloves! If you're standing in a tile with visible BZ levels, don gloves that were in a tainted tile, or wash gloves in a tainted sink then those gloves become tainted until they're washed in a clean sink. Wearing tainted gloves gives you a dose of BZ anytime you consume pills or food (from your hands), as well as any time you use your hands to feed something to someone else. To be extra mean (possibly to the coder), say that bare hands can get tainted too.
--Detecting lingering effects of BZ gas: BZ reagent shows up to chem scans like anything else. "Tainted" tables, sinks, floors, etc. can be tested (fill clean beaker from sink and scan, put clean orange on table and scan). Forensic scanner detects tainted things and maybe even sees whether glove fibres have trace BZ amounts.
--Countering effects of "lingering" version of BZ: Wiki entry says it has a straight-up antidote, which in SS13 could be synaptizine- maybe having it in system just automatically suppresses BZ symptoms? Synaptizine could also cleanse BZ-tainted objects, just mix a little of it into water or the janitor's space cleaner.
WOW this got long. Hope any/all of it's useful.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #212366

Do my nuke ops idea but also make it permeate regular breath masks and require an actual gas mask to be filtered
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #212737

PKPenguin321 wrote:Do my nuke ops idea but also make it permeate regular breath masks and require an actual gas mask to be filtered
I actually really like your idea of bioterrorism
420goslingboy69
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Usednapkin

Post by 420goslingboy69 » #212740

oranges wrote:We need to add uses for plasma first

A pipe connection for plasma should be required for the engine (the item that sends bolts to start the engines and maintain them)

Same for the radiation collectors.
Plasma should be changed lorewise to be a reactant. It being flammable is it's reaction to oxygen. Plasma seems to react to things based on the other things compounds, rather than the plasma itself (slimes and shit.) You could just extend it's reactivity to make it react to other gasses and the such besides just oxygen and it's flammability. Make plasma an actual resource, rather than just another gas.
i play :):):):):)autumn sinnow
this man's:):):):):) army
DESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERD:):):):):)ESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROY:):):):):)ERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDEST:):):):):)ROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDES:):):):):)TROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYER
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)