New Space Ninja

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

New Space Ninja

Post by Lumbermancer » #222433

Who coded it? Who thought it was good idea to give it a "permanent" stealth? Was it to facilitate effortless murderboner? Do you think it's fun to stop in place for a second, and immediately get struck down in 3 hits, with no prior warning nor ability to defend yourself whatsoever?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Re: New Space Ninja

Post by Remie Richards » #222434

permanent stealth?
smells like a bug.
私は完璧
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #222436

I've seen Ninja get knocked out of stealth one time, but the fact is he can be invisible walk up to you, slash you up and walk away without appearing.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #222440

That's not new. Ninja has been able to strike you while 100% invisible literally since they were first added. It was bullshit then, it's bullshit now, it's likely not gonna get fixed, get over it.
Apparently I was an director or something.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #222441

WJohnston wrote:It was bullshit then, it's bullshit now, it's likely not gonna get fixed, get over it.
That's a poor excuse and invalid given the unprecedented amounts of anti-grandfather clause PRs going on.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #222443

WJohnston wrote:That's not new. Ninja has been able to strike you while 100% invisible literally since they were first added.
I don't recall seeing this before. Maybe it's because I've seen more Ninjas in the last week than last two years altogether.
Last edited by Lumbermancer on Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #222444

The original invisibility could be countered by thermals or cyborgs though.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #222447

Those have been gone for like 4 years now. This is exactly why I'm saying this isn't going to go anywhere. NO ONE wants to touch ninja. It only semi-recently got unretarded because of remie, and its still both broken OP and ACTUALLY broken in a lot of places. The total absolute invisibility with no counter being one of the things we won't be seeing dealt with.

On the upside, at least it's ONLY something that exists with the ninja, something that almost never happens to begin with.
Apparently I was an director or something.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #222458

WJohnston wrote:That's not new. Ninja has been able to strike you while 100% invisible literally since they were first added. It was bullshit then, it's bullshit now, it's likely not gonna get fixed, get over it.
Get a load of this negative nelly
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #222476

Why has no one ever considered refactoring the Ninja role? It's got a loooooot of outdated code with bugs we still don't know about it in it (hell I discovered a new bug with it only a few weeks ago).
I'm sure there must be someone willing to take a stab at it, no pun intended.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #222480

WJohnston wrote:That's not new. Ninja has been able to strike you while 100% invisible literally since they were first added. It was bullshit then, it's bullshit now, it's likely not gonna get fixed, get over it.
Why do all coder responses to questionable code end with "it's not getting fixed/reverted, get over it? Seriously just makes you come off as a conceited ass.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #222513

newfriends dont know 'bout cloakers

myself included since i wasnt around for them
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #222522

I kinda want to rework ninjas but I don't have much time for it right now and neither ideas on what to do with it.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #222584

remove invisibility ability completely and add 1sec cooldown teleporting behind someones back
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #222598

>remove invisibility
>from a stealth antag

So, what would you replace it with?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #222605

I'm saying that back in MY day, nobody used stealth. It was all about skulking in maint, draining APC's, shirukening people. And you always got Tech Levels objective by going to research and politely asking for it. Occasionally you would telefrag people with jaunt.

But I never ever seen this combat stealth before last few weeks.
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #222625

Lumbermancer wrote:I'm saying that back in MY day, nobody used stealth. It was all about skulking in maint, draining APC's, shirukening people. And you always got Tech Levels objective by going to research and politely asking for it. Occasionally you would telefrag people with jaunt.

You obviously never seen Tsaricide telegib a majority the crew from stealth as one then.
Freedom
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #222659

*teleports behind you*
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #222676

I'm pretty sure old ninja kamikaze mode literally had a "teleport behind you" ability.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #222709

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:*teleports behind you*
It was a cardboard cutout
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #223016

Being able to attack while invisible is a fucking blight, and is a shitty throwback to the age of Cloaker+E-sword murderboning.

It is fun for one person, the asshole running around butchering everyone with impunity, and no one else. There is no counter to this as well. Even Cloaker+E-sword could be countered by an observant AI/Cyborg or someone with one of the three sets of thermal optics security started with. This ninja stealth is 100% invisibility, no tell, no sign, nothing.

I am fine with ninja's having perfect stealth. It's fitting for the theme. However, it makes NO sense for them to be able to retain this stealth while attacking. Maybe allow them to attack with it up, but the moment they do, it shuts down and goes on a hefty cooldown, forcing them to fight or flee, not just blink out of existence a few seconds later.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #223106

Now ninjas are mostly transparent instead of 100% invisible.
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/21292
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Tsaricide
Byond Username: Tsaricide

Post by Tsaricide » #223888

TehPear wrote:
Lumbermancer wrote:I'm saying that back in MY day, nobody used stealth. It was all about skulking in maint, draining APC's, shirukening people. And you always got Tech Levels objective by going to research and politely asking for it. Occasionally you would telefrag people with jaunt.

You obviously never seen Tsaricide telegib a majority the crew from stealth as one then.
My legacy