Structural Damage Feedback

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Fiz Bump
Byond Username: Dennyb

Structural Damage Feedback

Post by Fiz Bump » #228829

Since I couldn't find a thread dedicated to it, this thread should serve as feedback on the new update to structural damage.
Referring to our new ability to smash down walls, tables, airlocks, etc.

One issue that seems to stand out right now is that refilling fire extinguishers causes damage to the water tank they are filled from. 30 refills on a single tank will break the tank. The damage occurs even when using help intent.

One solution Shadowlight proposed was to create a glue or epoxy item that repairs structural damage on use.

Feel free to discuss any other features of structural damage here as well.
I play Fiz Bump.
I am not a game admin. My reign of badminnery ended a few years ago.View me feedback here: >:^)
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Re: Structural Damage Feedback

Post by Wyzack » #228831

Wait repair gel was the proposed solution to extinguishers destroying watertanks? why not just make it so you do not batter the tank like a retard when you try to refill it?

Over all i cannot say i am a fan of everything becoming more easily destroyed without the use of bombs but given recent trends i really doubt it will stop
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #228832

Personally love the ability to brute force stuff if tools aren't available to say deconstruct something or open a bolted airlock.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Fiz Bump
Byond Username: Dennyb

Post by Fiz Bump » #228835

Wyzack wrote:Wait repair gel was the proposed solution to extinguishers destroying watertanks? why not just make it so you do not batter the tank like a retard when you try to refill it?

Over all i cannot say i am a fan of everything becoming more easily destroyed without the use of bombs but given recent trends i really doubt it will stop
Well, the repair gel wasn't suggested just for water tanks. More to address the fact that most things that can now be damaged don't have a means of repair, other than smashing them to bits and rebuilding them.
I play Fiz Bump.
I am not a game admin. My reign of badminnery ended a few years ago.View me feedback here: >:^)
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #228867

What if you can't damage stuff on help intent? Problem solved.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #228868

Structural damage either panders to those who do not understand the joys of rule 10 by giving them the "tools" to do what used to be impossible [IE escape a locked area] OR it is the epitome of rule 10 because it GGs your stuff with no way to fix it once it's broken.

NO IN BETWEEN
TheNightingale wrote:What if you can't damage stuff on help intent? Problem solved.
*hugs someone with energy sword*
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #228885

Well even with this new structural damage
I experienced trying to break out of a perma cell and it was not fun.
Was cuffed to the bed. Got off and uncuffed. Used the cuffs to break the light bulb. Used the light bulb to break the table. Took the metal rods and started beating down the door. Never did anything smashing it for 10 mins. (Then a spess ninja released me)

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #228887

Alipheese wrote:Well even with this new structural damage
Was cuffed to the bed. Got off and uncuffed. Used the cuffs to break the light bulb. Used the light bulb to break the table. Took the metal rods and started beating down the door. Never did anything smashing it for 10 mins. (Then a spess ninja released me)
Doors have a minimum requirement to actually take damage to prevent every grayshirt with an extinguisher from ghetto-emagging every door. 20 brute for regular doors, 30 for reinforced.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #232535

MMMiracles wrote:
Alipheese wrote:Well even with this new structural damage
Doors have a minimum requirement to actually take damage to prevent every grayshirt with an extinguisher from ghetto-emagging every door. 20 brute for regular doors, 30 for reinforced.

This seems counterintuitive, and should probably have a message displayed if you're hitting something to no effect. Possibly even "punish" it by having the object rebound and smack the aggressor.

Alternatively, change doors so they apply a flat damage reduction ("armour") that makes, for example, breaking down an airlock with a fire extinguisher take 100 hits, but still functionally possible if you're stuck in perma and Sec have all fucked off to the shuttle.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #232550

You're probably thinking of percentage based armor instead of flat. And perma is not supposed to be escapable unless you have a hidden advantage, like resistance or immunity to space or hacking/deconstruction tools. Now you can also use your hidden esword, if you have one, to get out, but smacking the door repeatedly with table parts should not be enough to get you free.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #245029

that really makes me think, if you could obtain glass you could combine the glass and rods with some wire to make a spear and throw the spear at the door to break it
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #245047

Im a little iffy on this change, it just feels too easy to having smashing as the answer to everything.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #245055

I agree, i was always against everything being destructable and in practice it is just as annoying as i feared
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #245058

Nice negroing nerds, time to get banned!
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #245067

Wyzack wrote:I agree, i was always against everything being destructable and in practice it is just as annoying as i feared
What are you talking about, this has been great.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #245076

I have to say that the esword and double esword breaking doors makes it an even more annoying murderbone item, since bolting them in is now just pointless.

In some ways its an even better access tool than an emag since it smashes bolted doors.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #245095

CPTANT wrote:I have to say that the esword and double esword breaking doors makes it an even more annoying murderbone item, since bolting them in is now just pointless.

In some ways its an even better access tool than an emag since it smashes bolted doors.
Yea this is one of my biggest beefs, its hard to justify spending 6TC on an emag when you can just spend the same amount on an esword that is also an excellent weapon.

I just dont think gameplay benefits that much from having a bunch of critical station infrastructure able to be destroyed with melee weapons now.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #245203

calm down ya big babies it works fine
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #245242

you can break out of perma now

don't revert this so i can piss off the law
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #245245

Oldman Robustin wrote:
CPTANT wrote:I have to say that the esword and double esword breaking doors makes it an even more annoying murderbone item, since bolting them in is now just pointless.

Yea this is one of my biggest beefs, its hard to justify spending 6TC on an emag when you can just spend the same amount on an esword that is also an excellent weapon.

I just dont think gameplay benefits that much from having a bunch of critical station infrastructure able to be destroyed with melee weapons now.
>Emag door
>Shoot guy on the other side before he realizes he's in danger

>Esword door
>Keep eswording door
>Door is now sparking and clicking
>AI bolts the door and calls sec
>Keep eswording door
>Door is nearly broken
>Sec is coming
>Door is now broken
>Get shot by guy standing on the other side who had a year to get ready/run

U S E F U L
Armhulen wrote:you can break out of perma now

>Implying I use perma

Haha good joke, into the shower with you.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #245262

ShadowDimentio wrote:
Armhulen wrote:you can break out of perma now

>Implying I use perma

Haha good joke, into the shower with you.
j-just you wait!
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #245275

WHAT'S THAT I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE GAS-- I MEAN WATER FLOWING!
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #245280

How many welder refills does it take to smash a fuel tank?
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #245286

One if your welder is on.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz