Borer feedback thread

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Borer feedback thread

Post by CPTANT » #228838

Seriously how is there no feedback thread for borers?

Share your thoughts on how borers tend to play out during a round.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Re: Borer feedback thread

Post by Alex Crimson » #228840

I feel like they get a little out of hand after a while. More than once ive seen the station reduced to a mess with borers crawling all over the place, or the escape shuttle filled with the damn things. Their reproduction needs to be toned down or changed.

Also a lot of people try to forcibly insert the borer into themselves. No "eww get it out of my head" but a lot of "oh shit a chem dispenser in my head! Get over here!". Feels a little powergamey.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #228843

i love them but the wiki is more than correct:
"Fill the halls with brain dead slugs and vomit, or get punched to death by the first person you meet"
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #228865

At "Best", they're invisible healing devices [something we have been trying to move away from] sans gearchecks

At Worst, they're validhunting antagonists [yes] because their objective [conceptually] always puts them at odds with the actual antag. Why use all your chemicals to revive 1 guy over and over when you can just memestun infect the baddy and toss him out, preventing him from killing your host, another borer's host, or future potential hosts?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #229047

One think that kinda bothers me is that it is basically impossible for borers to fail.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #310290

Why are we not talking about borers? Yesterday I had really cool round with more than half a dozen of these fuckers. It was a true paranoia, like I always wanted lings to be.

Everyone popping sugar pills and looking over their shoulders. One slug gets inside my head, tries to cut a deal, I yell for help. It escapes but people don't believe me when I say it did. Some guy guns me down in the hallways yelling BORER when I ask why.
I get cloned, I find the guy and kill him back, thinking he was shouting the Borer is controlling him (In hindsight, I don't really know how they work exactly). HoS grabs me and wordlessly drags me to crematory and burns to crisp.

God damn she had to be a borer! Well she wasn't, and I wasn't even angry.

Why are we not funding this?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #310292

I had a round with borer's and honestly it felt more like background noise.

Maybe I avoided many interactions with them, I got infected with one early on, but my borer was very passive, though far more so due to me being the only person on the entire station trying to restore order and get the engine online.

Alternatively I avoided the conflict due to the rest of the crew dealing with it.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #310296

The problem is that being infected is just a buff with almost no downsides for non antag crew in general.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #310300

They're called cortical borers, not cortical entertainers.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #310302

Super Aggro Crag wrote:They're called cortical borers, not cortical entertainers.
How did I not come up with this.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #310317

Also why is it sugar that puts them to sleep?

I think it's way more interesting if it was alcohol.

That would also give me those Babylon 5 vibes.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #310319

You know you can Resist to gain control back from a borer
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #310323

CPTANT wrote:Also why is it sugar that puts them to sleep?

>holy water deconversion
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #310343

Armhulen wrote:
CPTANT wrote:Also why is it sugar that puts them to sleep?

>holy water deconversion
Hey it would at least make the barman the most popular person on the station when borer appear.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #310355

I move that we change it to alcohol too, at least then when borers are afoot there's a downside to popping anti-borer pills every five seconds in that you'll be a drunken wreck.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #310397

CPTANT is right.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #310415

And if you have seen Babylon 5 you know what I am talking about.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #310659

Anonmare wrote:You know you can Resist to gain control back from a borer
Shhh, some of my best borer rounds have been when infectee was unaware you could resist. It was hilarious.
Kind of. Generally, a fine tip is to avoid doing what host would find terribly evil most of the time. Or, if evil needs to be done, treating them with respect.

Anyway, a little bird told me that borer event is disabled, so they are adminspawn only.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #310662

I only played borer once or twice and thus half of what I'm saying might already be in or may not have worked in the first place, but I wonder if it would be better if borers had assassination objectives in addition to reproduction/escape.

You wouldn't really know if the thing in your head is just going to walk you out the airlock/make you attack security/whatever because you're its target, or if it's going to give you antag by proxy.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
darkpaladin109
Byond Username: Darkpaladin109

Post by darkpaladin109 » #310856

DemonFiren wrote:I only played borer once or twice and thus half of what I'm saying might already be in or may not have worked in the first place, but I wonder if it would be better if borers had assassination objectives in addition to reproduction/escape.
Honestly that does not feel thematically fitting. I'd rather we at give them something related to taking control of people more.
Segmented
Byond Username: SegmentedOdin

Post by Segmented » #310866

Super Aggro Crag wrote:They're called cortical borers, not cortical entertainers.
New role. Instead of healing your host, you can slip them or make them randomly honk, like a clown. Your job is to make as many people laugh as you can.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #310909

darkpaladin109 wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:I only played borer once or twice and thus half of what I'm saying might already be in or may not have worked in the first place, but I wonder if it would be better if borers had assassination objectives in addition to reproduction/escape.
Honestly that does not feel thematically fitting. I'd rather we at give them something related to taking control of people more.
Which keeps any real downsides out of borers and leaves valids as the only reason to fight against them.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #310911

ShadowDimentio wrote:Make reproducing require the borer to eat a brain, with one brain equals three borer spawn. This incentivizes people to not want to get borer'd because after infection they could kill you at any moment by eating YOUR brain, or if they manage and infect you to try and play along and be a good host to prevent their brain being eaten.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #311994

it's really boring when people just try to valid borers and don't do anything beyond that

I like it when new players are in a borer round because they always create the most interesting scenarios with borers, some are really distrustful and others work with them
Limey wrote:its too late.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #311998

Qbopper wrote:it's really boring when people just try to valid borers and don't do anything beyond that

I like it when new players are in a borer round because they always create the most interesting scenarios with borers, some are really distrustful and others work with them
The novelty wears off quickly and they just become healing chem dispensers.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #312000

Qbopper wrote:it's really boring when people just try to valid borers and don't do anything beyond that

well i think there has to be that group of people fighting against borers or it's really boring
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #312029

Armhulen wrote:

well i think there has to be that group of people fighting against borers or it's really boring
you make a good point, but it's still a little annoying that people instantly rush to a vending machine and stock up for themselves if they see a borer

there's not much interesting conflict in "BORERS WELD VENTS GRAB SUGAR" when the borers have done nothing to create conflict - if a borer started to mind control people into doing bad shit then yeah obviously but it still rubs me the wrong way, I guess
Limey wrote:its too late.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #312030

Qbopper wrote:
Armhulen wrote:

you make a good point, but it's still a little annoying that people instantly rush to a vending machine and stock up for themselves if they see a borer

there's not much interesting conflict in "BORERS WELD VENTS GRAB SUGAR" when the borers have done nothing to create conflict - if a borer started to mind control people into doing bad shit then yeah obviously but it still rubs me the wrong way, I guess
borers need some global traitor objectives that they all get and they need to actually BE more disgusting, visually. they need to make the person also vomit blood when birthing a worm, and the singing needs to be more like vomitspeak or something. anything to make the visually a lot worse FEELING.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #312100

If we make borer reproduction actually harmful (like having to eat a brain in order to do it) then people would be afraid of borers because, holy shit, if the borer wants to he could eat my brain and kill me! I'd better avoid getting infected and if I am infected I better try to nor piss it off!
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz