On round ending engines

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Re: On round ending engines

Post by Gun Hog » #231937

Bottom post of the previous page:

Incomptinence wrote:Seems to be possible but you need to decon several natural bluespace crystals and decon the night vision goggles for the plasma tech.
You must deconstruct exactly two bluespace crystals (for BS tech 7. Botany plants only get you to 6. Singularity beacons/wizard tele scrolls are also a possibility), and a phazon torso for plasma 6 (you can also use a glowshroom). Science's ability to get the bags depend on if miners bring back natural bluespace crystals.

Bags of holding simply explode when consumed by a singularity, and that explosion weakens the singularity. It would be impressive to see a hero actually save the station using them!
Cw3040
Byond Username: Cw3040

Post by Cw3040 » #231938

Okand37 wrote:I can only snicker at this from the sidelines, as I get ready to deploy deltastation that has both a supermatter and a conventional tesla/singularity engine.
PLEASE NO, OKAND
Spoiler:
GREYTIDE STATIONWIDE
ImageImage
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #231980

Supermatter is actually harder to blow up the station with because it broadcasts a warning when it starts to overload and tends to take more effort to actually cause it to do that

Singularity and tesla can be released far too easily by cutting a single wire and replacing the floor tile it's on
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #232073

Fatal wrote:Supermatter is actually harder to blow up the station with because it broadcasts a warning when it starts to overload and tends to take more effort to actually cause it to do that

Singularity and tesla can be released far too easily by cutting a single wire and replacing the floor tile it's on
Perhaps the radio warning should be removed in favor of a station alert, and the rate of energy gain increased three fold!
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #232082

Gun Hog wrote:
Fatal wrote:Supermatter is actually harder to blow up the station with because it broadcasts a warning when it starts to overload and tends to take more effort to actually cause it to do that

Perhaps the radio warning should be removed in favor of a station alert, and the rate of energy gain increased three fold!
I saw a shitty setup for a shard work perfectly it was in the void of space. Being fired at by lasers. How the hell did it not explode
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #245713

Why does the supermatter even yell on the radio that it's going to blow up. The singularity doesn't shout "I'M LOOSE LOSERS!!"
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #245724

Armhulen wrote:Why does the supermatter even yell on the radio that it's going to blow up. The singularity doesn't shout "I'M LOOSE LOSERS!!"
I dunno because it destroys all of atmos?

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #245727

Bombadil wrote:
Armhulen wrote:Why does the supermatter even yell on the radio that it's going to blow up. The singularity doesn't shout "I'M LOOSE LOSERS!!"
As opposed to destroying atmos and the rest of the station?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #245886

CPTANT wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
As opposed to destroying atmos and the rest of the station?
Well Tesla has the tell of electrical noises. Singulo the walls get ripped off but with the supermatter if it explodes and your unaware it will take out everyone in atmos

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #245888

but the tesla doesn't yell [common] "HEY CHUCKLEFUCKS THERE ISN'T ENOUGH POWER FOR THE EMITTERS
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #257729

I'm a fan of singularity but I'm not a fan of ending rounds in 10 minutes.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #257734

Why not increase the time it takes for singulo/tesla to grow?

Would make traitor engineers wait a bit to release the engines to make sure it has that extra oompf
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #257760

Say it with me....

S O L A R S
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #257931

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:Say it with me....

S O L A R S
U N F U N
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #257952

The problem isn't the destructive power of those engines, in fact, tesla is utterly harmless when released on the most popular map (meta), at worst it will kill the AI and break comms. Singulo is a bit trickier but still, 9 rounds out of 10 you'll never see it damage anything more than part of engineering and atmos (again, on meta). This doesn't change the fact that as soon as people realize that Tesla is loose, alert level is raised to red, the shuttle is called, and the round ends. This despite the fact that they KNOW that tesla is harmless and always beelines for the AI sat where it stays forever (or straight to the upper right corner of the z-level).

Engines are used as a round-ending "plot device" to give people a reason to call the shuttle. No antag worth of his salt would release the engine on meta (without beaconing it) to cause damage, but you see it happen anyway, why? Because they want to force a shuttle call. For the same reason, when engine is released 5 minutes into the round, it's usually just grief or incompetence, not the work of an antag, and it only causes a shuttle call because people would rather have another roll at the antag lottery ASAP than wait for the station to slowly lose power because engineers never bother to set a backup power source.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #257955

Singulo grows as it eats stuff, so releasing it is destructive even if not grown; and tesla bolts explode machinery regardless of power, so there's not too much reason to grow them before loosing. Making the power matter would be as easy as making engines decay when not fed by a PA, so they disappear after a while and you can actually rebuild without a perpetual deathball that could come back any time. If loosed roundstart it'll fizzle out before doing much more than wrecking engineering, if it's loosed after a mad CE fed it with sixteen PAs it'll be the end of it all.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #258106

XDTM wrote:Singulo grows as it eats stuff, so releasing it is destructive even if not grown; and tesla bolts explode machinery regardless of power, so there's not too much reason to grow them before loosing. Making the power matter would be as easy as making engines decay when not fed by a PA, so they disappear after a while and you can actually rebuild without a perpetual deathball that could come back any time. If loosed roundstart it'll fizzle out before doing much more than wrecking engineering, if it's loosed after a mad CE fed it with sixteen PAs it'll be the end of it all.
So.... what we could do is make the tesla move extremely slowly if it only has one tesla ball and is less likely to explode shit.

Make singulo take longer to grow and slower to move as well. Make it gain less energy from eating shit as well

Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #258147

tesla honestly needs to gravitate to areas of very high electrical usage, than drain nearby APCs to produce enormous explosions.

singulo needs to uh, well, no one uses singulo anyway so i guess leave it as is

anyway i've already discussed this exact problem like a billion times, and the engine gets loose because:

>engineers do not stay in engineering
>because there is nothing to do
>since there is nothing to do, no one of any experience plays engineering
>engineering is thus crewed by newbs
>since there is nothing to do, the newbs gain no experience
>no one who plays engineering has any experience
>the engine gets loose repeatedly

fix engineering as a department and this entire problem will go away as a side effect
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #258150

Maybe engineers need something to do to keep them occupied while they're not rebuilding things that there's no point rebuilding 'cause the round's ending anyway.

Some sort of manufacturing job or something, manufacturing stuff that's past the prototype stage is more of an engineering theme than science anyway. Like building vehicles. claim robotics for engistan
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #258151

Cik wrote:tesla honestly needs to gravitate to areas of very high electrical usage, than drain nearby APCs to produce enormous explosions.

singulo needs to uh, well, no one uses singulo anyway so i guess leave it as is

anyway i've already discussed this exact problem like a billion times, and the engine gets loose because:

>engineers do not stay in engineering
>because there is nothing to do
>since there is nothing to do, no one of any experience plays engineering
>engineering is thus crewed by newbs
>since there is nothing to do, the newbs gain no experience
>no one who plays engineering has any experience
>the engine gets loose repeatedly

fix engineering as a department and this entire problem will go away as a side effect
funny enough, there would be a lot more to do [see: power management/APC micro] if you didn't get [for our purposes] infinite power-creating engines roundstart. The only time I've gotten close to having to start managing power in areas or focus on improving power-generation is only when I've used solars [which becomes a null issue after a point <aka you wire the default panels given to you by the mapper roundstart>].

I understand the singulo is one of the quintessential elements of many ss13 stories, but it just seems to be like such a crutch for what we can now expand on [things for engineering to do that isn't watch paint dry or repairing ((((LITERALLY THE WORST THING IN THE GAME))))) ]. The same applies to Tesla without the nostalgia bit.

Queue progression memes.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #258152

Managing the substations in polariscode with their remote-access console and breaker boxes is something to do that lets you do fancy power management aka depower security but it's a little too close to my actual job to do for long
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #258159

Screemonster wrote:Managing the substations in polariscode with their remote-access console and breaker boxes is something to do that lets you do fancy power management aka depower security but it's a little too close to my actual job to do for long
Yeah but that's unfortunately the only thing that would make the job *unique*.

Repairing and Improving are unfortunately things everyone else can do just as good as the engineer, and they get the added bonus of being primary resource handlers [like science, mining, cargo] so they not only can do your job, but they can do it even better.