Shotguns pellets not working as intended?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Shotguns pellets not working as intended?

Post by DrPillzRedux » #231038

So right now, shotgun pellets work in a weird way that makes no sense. From my observations, once you fire, they all travel straight on one tile, then spread out to any tile in 3 directions. How a shotgun should actually work is multiple pellets going forward on one tile, then at a certain distance spreading to two tiles. Unless you're using a sawn off shotgun, the pellet aren't going to spread like they currently do.

As of now it's causing shots that should not be possible. The only way this could be physically possible is the round being explosive, which would explode in mid-flight and spew out shrapnel.

For example, in this fluke ops round. The captain was standing in the black spot, while the OP was standing in the red spot. The captain landed easy shots on the OP that made zero sense.

thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Shotguns pellets not working as intended?

Post by oranges » #231043

There's no easy way to solve this because of the tile nature of byond and it's just related to how the spreading algorithm works. You either do 1 -> 3 or 0 -> 3
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #231078

Still better than it was before pixel projectiles
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #231088

this screenshot tells a powerful story about the clown blowing away security with a shotgun

anyway, working as intended
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #231089

It's called duckbill spreader choke.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #231654

Thats a riot shotgun, its a little different to the others.

On the nature of that, i don't know what changed but 2 riot shots to the head or groin which is unprotected is almost always a stun with the double barrel bartender shotgun (which shoots singular projectiles) and i cuck people with it on a regular basis. Because its also large and fits in my armour suit storage, i dont need to grind it down and its also good for blunt melee when i've CQC'd the perp into a choking grapple after chain-stunning on tables.

Significantly less effective on hardsuits, in which case id opt to swap out for pure stun rounds or technical rounds via asking R&D.

Pro-shotgun tip, drag your ammo box to a bandolier to automatically load it with the contents by dumping the box out, and keep a box to put new rounds in.

Spoiler:
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #231662

All shotguns fire shotgun shells the same way
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #231673

Shaps wrote:All shotguns fire shotgun shells the same way
Not correct, riot & military shotties spread while double barrel is single bullet (for whichever), taser shots i think are universally singular while default shottie shots in riot guns spread, im sure some of the technical bullets also are single shot.

Test & experience please. That statement isn't true.

Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #231676

Dude those are different kinds of loads. For shotgun nonlethals there are beanbags (single bullet) and rubber pellet (spread). Has nothing to do with the gun type, merely the type of shell they start off loaded with
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #231678

...those are different shells, riot shotguns come loaded with plastic pellets for riots while the barkeep's shotty has beanbag slugs better for hitting singular people. Why would the type of shotgun in any way influence how the load inside of it fires?
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #231692

DrPillzRedux wrote:So right now, shotgun pellets work in a weird way that makes no sense. From my observations, once you fire, they all travel straight on one tile, then spread out to any tile in 3 directions. How a shotgun should actually work is multiple pellets going forward on one tile, then at a certain distance spreading to two tiles. Unless you're using a sawn off shotgun, the pellet aren't going to spread like they currently do.

As of now it's causing shots that should not be possible. The only way this could be physically possible is the round being explosive, which would explode in mid-flight and spew out shrapnel.

For example, in this fluke ops round. The captain was standing in the black spot, while the OP was standing in the red spot. The captain landed easy shots on the OP that made zero sense.

Oh look my captain round!