(Pre-merge review/discussion) - Goof-librarian #22137

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

(Pre-merge review/discussion) - Goof-librarian #22137

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #234678

IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM: Adds Museum Trophy Cases, and Soapstone Messages #22137
Spoiler:

Personal Gripes & Suggestions

> The full indiana jones set is a bit strong & full on, there are other explorer types out there to also mock and make fun of, but the reference to what the curator does fits nicely
  • In my mind anybody should become the curator/indiana jones knockoff but perhaps you should give the librarian over to science because academically you'd expect the top brass (the RD) to be heavily involved with whatever relic research or preservation that is going on, as to say the curator is the professor of the class & busybody of the 'museum' whilst the RD is the Dean with perhaps ulterior motives and greater ambitions.

> To the extent of the above point, keeping the soapstone on the librarian themselves, perhaps instead you could make the 'curator' indiana jones suit & whip a cargo crate set with some box cases to get you started if librarian doesn't change off the bat.

> I personally like to create a mock indiana jones getup as RD by wearing my classic "Morgan Cucker's" tan suit getup with the detective's clothes and then use my telebaton as a whip, then parade about dictating my scientists before hanging out in the library/botany trying to collect wood for display cases.
  • The cases themselves could be perhaps alternatively, made out of different materials & the code for existing display cases changed so that the captain's display case etc, accepts captain's ID to take out the stored items etc. whilst still being able to be smashed because the case is 'invincible' but the glass is not.
  • Holy shit there's still room to make librarian a full time experimentor sub department for science if you just give them all the work surrounding relics then put the ones that don't get deconned inside cases.
Soapstones, museums & near action hero librarians all sounds good.

Spoiler:
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Re: (Pre-merge review/discussion) - Goof-librarian #22137

Post by Kel » #234780

or just let it be it's own job and keep science's grubby mitts out of everything
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #234781

I think the RD should be more like the Dean from Community no matter how this pr turns out
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #234941

because if science is missing anything and doesn't get enough of it's overhauls to add more shit to their department
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #234952

Screemonster wrote:because if science is missing anything and doesn't get enough of it's overhauls to add more shit to their department
Partially the reason why i dripfed goof the idea in the first place Dork Souls - Librarians leave notes & get upvotes was because out of a merangerie of usually colourful & developed roles (left to right) librarians have fuckall to do without giving themselves a task.
> Clowns and mime in theatre, wonderfully open ended funnymeme's
> The bartender (the only civilian on the station with a powerful shotgun & has infinite access to ghetto drink chemistry for healing, curing dizzyness/heat & RP)
> The chef prepares food out of literally anything to keep the station fed & happy, some foods are more powerful than others and people enjoy seeing varied creations
> The librarian jerks off to adult fanfiction in the private office, but is only EVER useful in cult rounds as a convert/shade and ID robbed. Usually annoyingly calling WGW
> Botany grows things, lots of things - nuff said
> The chaplain is memetastic but dues vults a lot (i blame the players for being so violently crusader) but otherwise maintains a friendly RP role, ideally teams up with the bartender for protection super service duo given powerful melee weapons compliment the bartender's strong ranged weapon. Can defeat a wide range of occultist antagonists
Pig in the middle, and besides from all that there isn't a dedicated RP job at all for science so you could move library across the hall into the side of the science department as sort of a 'public science' not unlike the corporate showroom so science can show off. Then you have a significant amount of space free where library was to put anything there (especially on maps like meta where the library is a huge complex)

> You can atleast expect to learn something when scientists & every manner of folk run next door to learn about how to R&D and the standards are set a little bit higher from the back of a book, which is a plus to making the move.

> Anybody can still donate books, but now there's a side attraction to look at all the nifty shit that science puts inside its display cases (bits and bobs of R&D, maybe a relic or xenobio object or two)

Spoiler:
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #235006

I like the idea of at least the display cases and the whip (soapstone seems like a stupid meme that will get old quick), but merging librarian into science is the most stupid idea I ever heard. Science already has a lot of activities for them to do, such as RnD, Slimes, experimenting with bombs, cyborgs, mechs etc. Moving the library to the side of science (where exactly will you make room for this?) as baby RnD doesn't add anything to science, and basically makes the actual library itself somehow even more useless.

The only way to make the librarian actually fun to play as, is to either add a meme mechanic to it (whip, display case, soapstone) or to add a secondary activity for the librarian to do. I personally suggest adding module computers to the public library, and a private one for the librarian in his back office, instead of being locked behind science.
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #235062

It's a fucking chisel not a soapstone reeeeeeeeee.

The soapstone is too blatant of a stupid reference to be in every round.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #235064

>something remotely interesting is added to the game
>GIVE IT TO SCIENCE!!

this meme has to stop
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #235071

Maybe the librarian can get special descriptions on certain things examined, like the real lore of the captain's gun and what the maintenance objects actual functions
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #235074

Haevacht wrote:It's a fucking chisel not a soapstone reeeeeeeeee.

Even if people hate this & want to screw over all the rest of the content, that's one point i support whole heartedly.
Last edited by FantasticFwoosh on Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #235077

FantasticFwoosh wrote:

Even if people hate want want to screw over all the rest of the content, that's one point i support whole heartedly.
What did he mean by this?

And let me add on so this isn't a shitpost, this game is full of references. The name of the chisel should be the chisel, just for clarity sake. We could still have a wacky description with a soapstone reference
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #235083

I fucked up with a typo, not enough caffiene.

The chisel could well live as a alternative object, but given its applications for hitting and sculpting rocks we could just evolve the librarian into any number of different roles (Archeologist/Curator?, Full time artist/"Art's Director" service head and absolve the HOP of service responsibility with a QM minihead??) service IS directed a lot towards art & the creation of beautiful forms.

Drawing dicks with crayons and then reading & owning a specially binded copy of WGW is technically "art".

Spoiler:
Copybass
Byond Username: Copybass

Post by Copybass » #235137

>give lib to science
>archaelib finds cool thing, takes it to a case
>RD barges in takes cool thing and destroys it for science
>archaelib is stripped of ID so he can't case anything else without RD permission
>archaelib is now in automatic blood feud with RD
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #235139

Copybass wrote:>give lib to science
>archaelib finds cool thing, takes it to a case
>RD barges in takes cool thing and destroys it for science
>archaelib is stripped of ID so he can't case anything else without RD permission
>archaelib is now in automatic blood feud with RD
Its basically the problem of Robotics/R&D materials to the same result.

You're suggesting IC blood feuds are NOT a good thing? :popcorn: :o :popcorn:

Spoiler:
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #235177

Armhulen wrote:
FantasticFwoosh wrote:

Even if people hate want want to screw over all the rest of the content, that's one point i support whole heartedly.
What did he mean by this?

And let me add on so this isn't a shitpost, this game is full of references. The name of the chisel should be the chisel, just for clarity sake. We could still have a wacky description with a soapstone reference
No other jobs have a blatant reference as a roundstart item. That I can think of.

The soapstone can exist and would work as a subtype of the chisel for admin shenanigans/wizard/whatever but it's just not thematically appropriate for it to be the roundstart item of choice.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #235205

Haevacht wrote:it's just not thematically appropriate for it to be the roundstart item of choice.
Is this bait, ss13 doesn't have much of a theme buddy
Mirukihoshi
Byond Username: Mirukihoshi

Post by Mirukihoshi » #235262

I love this. Librarian is practically useless and the library for the most part is just a barren waste land most rounds. While, I get that people don't like the idea of this being added to science- it makes sense. I mean, if people really don't like it being in science, keep every other component and just have it stay in service. Easy.
"Please just STOP TRYING TO KILL YOURSELF."
1g88a
Byond Username: Ig88A

Post by 1g88a » #235277

Just throw in some junk that implies the library/librarian was once part of science.
DEAD: ADMIN(Hornygranny) says, "you play in my universe, normie"
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #235280

goof is goofing the shit out of his pr as usual
Danowar
Byond Username: Danowar

Post by Danowar » #239814

all I want is a library archive system that isn't trash.

can we have /vg/'s library already?