nerf EMP against malf AI cores

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

nerf EMP against malf AI cores

Post by Cik » #236570

or change the fire-proofing thing (does this even do anything?) to protect against EMPs.

>they crack through the wall
>you have upgraded turrets
>chemist throws one EMP
>zeros the whole core, including you, the APC, pingsky, any borg(s), all turrets, all foam dispensers

>they hit you with a crowbar after crowbarring through your depowered glass airlocks

i ded pls nerf but seriously after secborgs were removed EMPs have been too strong for months now, how cheap, easily available, and absurdly effective they are needs to be reduced.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Re: nerf EMP against malf AI cores

Post by Incomptinence » #236572

I did say one of the hacked borg modules at least needed the laser gun when the secborg was removed, and I said it again when the bola launcher of peacekeepers were removed. Expecting anyone to fight a group with zero mobile ranged options on the station is insane it's like the silicons are being treated like ashliggers. Hard to track how well traitor/malf AIs are doing since they are rolled into traitor and DA and are just tracked in stats as regular traitors but they probably only ever do well due to human traitors distracting people. Malf wasn't even decent as a solo antagonist with full glory taser secborgs and then weaklings just gutted it further what a joke.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #236597

>aoe stun/blind/mute/deafen that lasts three times as long as normal stuns and also hurts you

It's awful
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #236599

I do not have a problem with EMPs being a hard-counter to silicons; I have a problem with them being nerfed to the ground because human players do not like silicons interfering in their rounds.
Cik

Post by Cik » #236606

Gun Hog wrote:I do not have a problem with EMPs being a hard-counter to silicons; I have a problem with them being nerfed to the ground because human players do not like silicons interfering in their rounds.
i don't have a problem with EMPs either but they completely disable 200 points of processing power upgraded core with zero effort required
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #236607

Hey wanna get even saltier

Metastation starts with them in maint roundstart no chem required
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Cik

Post by Cik » #236608

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Hey wanna get even saltier

Metastation starts with them in maint roundstart no chem required
:|
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #236609

Gun Hog wrote:I do not have a problem with EMPs being a hard-counter to silicons; I have a problem with them being nerfed to the ground because human players do not like silicons interfering in their rounds.
If only people carried flashes around.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #236610

The crew can also order spec OPs crates with a box of EMP nades from cargo by multitooling the board too. EMPs are incredibly easy to get now, you just need to put in just a little effort to get 'em.

Though the big issue with EMP grenades and implants is that they drain an APC dry and flick the SMES in the core off meaning the APC won't recharge and the AI is effectively in crit, no other traitor item let's you stealthily AoE crit someone for 2 TCs.

I'd like it if AIs could invest in EMP shielding for APCs, rendering them completely immune to EMPs, for a moderately high price, like 20 cycles per APC shielded. Or convince someone to add a sheet of plasma a la security cameras. That way, it makes it a costly investment for an AI to render it's entire sat EMP-proof which decreases it's offensive effectiveness in exchange for protection from its biggest hazard. EMPs would still fuck up cyborgs but you can't just sit outside the AI sat and shit out EMP grenades to kill the AI at no danger to yourself.
Cik

Post by Cik » #236611

what's even the point of having defenses if they turn off with the APC anyway ree
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #236612

Make turrets not require an APC for power if they're placed on a powered wire node? Would allow for effective reinforcing of the core if they get an engiborg to put the work in laying the wires.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #239838

EMPs also damage turrets as well I believe so you can just sit outside the sat and spam EMPs until everything inside is deader then disco.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #239867

what if EMP was an invisible foam with 0 lifetime that is only blocked by wall turfs and reinforced airlocks?
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #239923

Yakumo_Chen wrote:EMPs also damage turrets as well I believe so you can just sit outside the sat and spam EMPs until everything inside is deader then disco.
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... et.dm#L281

EMP does not damage turrets, it just disables them for 6-60 seconds, and scrambles their settings (said settings are overridden for the AI's turrets). This usually does not matter, as targeting the APC will shut down the turret as well as the AI.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #239929

wait, in theory could you kill the ai as a revenant with malfunction?
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #239991

Armhulen wrote:wait, in theory could you kill the ai as a revenant with malfunction?
Nope!
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #240011

What is a malf AI?
Cik

Post by Cik » #240012

stop being acutely triangular fruitman
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #240022

Cik wrote:stop being acutely triangular fruitman
less acute than obtuse tbh fam
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #240025

You know what is just as horrible as EMP's while playing AI?

Wraiths teleporting straight on your core and bashing you to death while you can do literally nothing to stop it. (no turrets don't work because several maps have a blindspot there).
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #240030

You're literally the most powerful player on station at any given time, and nobody has more control over it than you do. If someone EMPed your core and killed your core, you deserved it. Big strengths are balanced by big weaknesses.
Bring back papercult.

Cik

Post by Cik » #240037

what the fuck are you even talking about

there is no defense against EMPs, not even the walls actually stop them, furthermore all of your defenses are electrical and disabled by the EMP for like half a fucking minute

space suits, EMPs are dime a dozen and GGnore anything you can use to stop them. the days of sillicons ruling the station are long over.

the most powerful man on the station is a traitor with like 6 TC of gear who can GGnore you in about 20 seconds with minimal effort
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #240105

Cik wrote:what the fuck are you even talking about

there is no defense against EMPs, not even the walls actually stop them, furthermore all of your defenses are electrical and disabled by the EMP for like half a fucking minute

space suits, EMPs are dime a dozen and GGnore anything you can use to stop them. the days of sillicons ruling the station are long over.

the most powerful man on the station is a traitor with like 6 TC of gear who can GGnore you in about 20 seconds with minimal effort

Hell all you need are 5-10 bricks of uranium and iron to create a fuckhuge emp.
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #240127

Not to mention that the ai core was nerfed a looong time ago so the turrets were against the outer walls and the core is so small you can emp if from space. How the fuck does hyena expect an AI to stop someone that doesn't even need to step foot in the core to kill them?
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Cik

Post by Cik » #240157

CosmicScientist wrote:
Davidchan wrote:Not to mention that the ai core was nerfed a looong time ago so the turrets were against the outer walls and the core is so small you can emp if from space. How the fuck does hyena expect an AI to stop someone that doesn't even need to step foot in the core to kill them?
The AI can call for help if no-one goes into their core to kill them and everyone will scramble to what is probably the only occurrence on the station and the notion of valids. Then they'll either be transferred to a borg, moved, the EMPer killed or the damage fixed by flipping on what was turned off.

I guess if it's that scary, the APC can be inside the AI so you can't turn it off, the SMES banks should be next to the AI, there should be 10 reinforced walls in every direction to prevent EMPs set off outside the chamber irrelevant and the entrance should be a tube with several cameras so EMPs don't hit them all so the AI can still see who's on their way inside.

If I remember when I bitched before about dealing with the AI, the response I got was to get EMPs and if a 'ling, monkey + EMP so I can tube underneath them and GG. I'm wondering what's supposed to be the strategy right now because EMPs alone don't kill an AI.
you can be repeatedly EMPed through the wall to death in seconds

2 x4 and an emp kit (6 tc) can kill the AI in 20 seconds. there is simply no way to prevent it. "calling for help" doesn't solve anything because 30 seconds you are dead, carded, spaced, permanently removed from the round.

the AI satellite is 100% useless. the defenses do literally nothing to even a marginally prepared attacker.

turrets, useless, pingsky, useless, borgs, useless, dispensers, useless, doors, USELESS

all will be depowered by one EMP
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #240174

Other players can leave, or fight back. Or even try to run.
Add anability for a malf to grow legs and a gattling laser so it can flee and shoot back
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #240184

EMPs drain APCs dry, stuns and damages the AI as well as turns the output on the SMES unit off. With two well-placed EMPs, you can do the equivalent of cyanide and morphine on the AI without ever entering the core. I could do that on meta with just two boxed EMP grenades.

Calling for help is useless as a malf AI as everyone else will help the EMPer kill you, you're only hope is to pray that you notice them before they shit out an EMP and shunt away - because you're fucked once your APC is empty. I've been asking for a malf power that at least gives the APC in their core EMP immunity for ages now, especially with secborgs removed which makes catching an EMPer in space an exercise in futility. Seriously, a borg is not catching a guy with an EMP implant in space, especially if they have a jetpack (Like the blood-red hardsuit has by default).

And if you do die, anyone who cards you is gonna go "Oh lookie lookie, a Law 0 guess it's time to put the card in the destructive analyzer :^))))", assuming you haven't been spaced or destroyed first.