Botany needs nerfs

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Botany needs nerfs

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #239837

Botany has been undergoing powercreep for an extremely long time and the introduction of xenobotany has made it go more or less overboard.

The straw that broke my back was that in a rev round today, botany had made tomatoes that not only covered in acid on hit, but also injected me with enough acid to ensure I died not long after I washed the acid off with a fire extinguisher. One hit, one kill. Stuff like this really needs to stop, as it's getting worse then pre-nerf R&D, which has been more or less neutered over the months.
christ110
Byond Username: Christ110

Re: Botany needs nerfs

Post by christ110 » #239861

You're example is... Still relatively balanced. There are 2 syringe guns in med and a chem Dept which can make much worse cocktails of toxins. Although I am not too familiar with botany, it seems like they gotta go through a lot more work for their syringe gun equivalent.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #239921

Once botany gets the ball rolling they can produce arms at astonishing rates. What is worse, a chemist with a syringe/rapid syringe gun, which requires time to reload, or a botanist with a bag full of killer produce?
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #239922

Chemisty is powerful at roundstart, and a creative player can make grenades that can cleanse a shuttle-load of unprepared people in seconds. Firestorm acid bath stun grenades that strip people of their protective gear, force them to breathe the stun chem, while burning them to death.

Botany can do the same, but it takes a lot more work and time, and help from Chemistry/Science for mutagen. Botany becomes more powerful through progression. The reward is that they produce more of their weapons than chemistry can once established. I do not see much of a problem with this, just that players are not yet used to seeing botanists as a serious threat!
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #240277

One word
Kudzu
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #240282

Gun Hog wrote:Chemisty is powerful at roundstart, and a creative player can make grenades that can cleanse a shuttle-load of unprepared people in seconds. Firestorm acid bath stun grenades that strip people of their protective gear, force them to breathe the stun chem, while burning them to death.

Botany can do the same, but it takes a lot more work and time, and help from Chemistry/Science for mutagen. Botany becomes more powerful through progression. The reward is that they produce more of their weapons than chemistry can once established. I do not see much of a problem with this, just that players are not yet used to seeing botanists as a serious threat!
>Effort
>When ambrosia Gaia exists.

Laughingwhores.webm
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #240287

Nerf botany don't just shit on research
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #240312

Why does ambrosia gaia exist? If you want low effort trays RND part upgrades and linking their water is available.

Gaia is literally mindless.

However I still think complaining that service jobs have relevance to the round is pure pants shitting retardation . If you want their antagonism put more into a poison food/whatever insidious role you will need a much harsher hunger system and a vending machine purge. Unless you can stop being whimps about needing to refuel your assistant now and then I guess they're just going to need to kill you directly.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #240317

I'd suggest a rework on splicing.

Inserting a trait on a plant makes an unstable seed which you gotta plant and has a 50/50 chance of dying on harvest or giving out produce.

And you can only splice one thing at a time.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #240346

D&B wrote:I'd suggest a rework on splicing.

Inserting a trait on a plant makes an unstable seed which you gotta plant and has a 50/50 chance of dying on harvest or giving out produce.

And you can only splice one thing at a time.
Yep, something like this should do the trick
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #248545

Only if you can increase the chance of not dying bye 5% every upgrade
The future is horrible!