Umbrage: Shadowling Redux (delayed?)

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Do you want shadowlings back?

Yes!
56%
Doesn't matter to me.
16%
No!
28%

Total votes: 64

Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Re: Umbrage: Shadowling Redux

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #255285

Bottom post of the previous page:

If you're completely invisible to them, they're not going to see the black shape running across the room to kill them until they're already stunned and dead.

I also want to note that EMP is absolutely the most overpowered thing in the game and the last thing I want is to give another antag a power to teleport into my AI core and disable my APC with one click, not that it's hard to kill AIs even with the APC on.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #255286

They can't teleport and the EMP is melee only flim flam.

Also Note: They have to be on your screen to use Plane Sight, obviously, since it's a targeted spell. Thus meaning you have to either reveal yourself for a moment and then cast it (they see you if they're paying attention and panic, likely dodging you), cut the lights off to approach without being seen yourself but still making your presence known (better but they still know you're there), or use Meld to hide in someone's shadow to nab them silently once they're alone (the only completely stealthy option that has no "tell" but requires bigtime preparation).
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #255534

So Xhuis, thoughts on Plane Sleight (renamed to be extra clever) and Entropy? I thought they'd both fit well into your concept of versatile abilities and conversion not being required.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #255559

Plane Sight seems niche but could be cool. I feel like Meld fills its role already, but it could also open up some nice combos like Sighting someone you're melded as and casually walking away while they're none the wiser.

Entropy is neat but would need some nerfs. It probably wouldn't send out lightning, and it wouldn't turn off recharging. I could see about draining the power, and I'm torn between overloading the lights and just turning them off. I guess it would give the janitor something to do, though, and give easy pickings if people travelled alone to relight an area.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #255676

Plane SLEIGHT and Meld are intended to be similar but very different in application.

Meld is used for moving around the station either by being carried by your thralls or by hitching a ride on someone and infiltrating areas they enter. Imagine the HoS scouring maint for shadowlings with the detective and instead of you stomping them there and alerting everyone you hide in his shadow to gank him once he's alone.

Plane Sleight is used for avoiding 1v1 encounters or trivializing them with some setup to lean into. If someone goes into the dark where you can see them but they can't see you Meld and Plane Sleight are both options, however Meld is strictly utility/defensive in application. Using Plane Sleight lets you walk right up to a guy and atomize them before they know what hit them, incentivizing avoiding darkness like the plague and teamwork so that you won't get dunked in this way.

If used together that was the idea, Xhuis. Using both lets you follow a scientist into sci, Plane Sleight him and whack the sec guy recharging nearby before he can react. A disgusting combo.

Entropy was meant as a incentive to have the crew keep shadowlings on the defensive, because if they worm their way to an APC in a populated area, such as by using Meld and Plane Sleight together, they can deal massive damage to the area and throw everyone into chaos as they lay stunned and burned on the ground, floundering for a light before the shadowling gets them. The damage done was intended to be very bad for the crew but not impossible to repair, a janitor with a light replacer and engineering access to re-enable the APC would certainly be possible but would take time for the shadowling to use to nab people.

I put some good thought into both powers, see
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #255746

Spoiler:
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #255748

Perfection.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #255758

Xhuis wrote:
Spoiler:
i-i'm inside you... :oops:
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #255870

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Xhuis wrote:
Spoiler:
i-i'm inside you... :oops:
well technically they're disguised as the target's shadow but code-wise I guess so
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #257742

Feels a little surreal to say, but my core stuff is all done. All I need to do is polish and add some abilities, and abilities can be done after.
I'm still delayed from making a PR, though, because LeoZ is working on antag datums and I've promised not to make his job any harder than it already is.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #257743

NANIIIIIII?????
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #257745

I also still want to use some sprites for this, so those of you who have generously volunteered, expect word soon!
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #257748

Actually, for anyone who wants to take a crack at it, give me your thoughts and concepts for what the umbrage's progenitor form would look like. Go wild.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #257800

It's the fabled triple-post. Here's an early version of Sacrament, the equivalent of Ascendance. Note that this lacks visuals, (proper) sounds, and correct messaging, but I'd like your thoughts regardless. Those last two messages and sounds are sent to all players.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Re: Umbrage: Shadowling Redux (Now on GitHub!)

Post by XDTM » #257954

10/10 if all the sounds are global, it's pretty damn creepy.

It might be too late to comment on this, but umbrage feels like an event name rather than an entity name; it sounds like "the shadowing".
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #258170

XDTM wrote:10/10 if all the sounds are global, it's pretty damn creepy.

It might be too late to comment on this, but umbrage feels like an event name rather than an entity name; it sounds like "the shadowing".
umbrage
ˈʌmbrɪdʒ/
noun
noun: umbrage

offence or annoyance.
"she took umbrage at his remarks"
synonyms: take offence, be offended, take exception, bridle, take something personally, be aggrieved, be affronted, take something amiss, be upset, be annoyed, be angry, be indignant, get one's hackles up, be put out, be insulted, be hurt, be wounded, be piqued, be resentful, be disgruntled, get/go into a huff, get huffy;
"she took umbrage at his remarks"
archaic
shade or shadow, especially as cast by trees
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #258195

I don't like the umbrage name but i'll live
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #258335

i wonder how long itll take for joan to completely and utterly steal this
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #258440

Trick question. It won't take any time at all because she's collaborated with me on the gamemode.
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #258749

so it already happened at the conceptual level
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #261669

Small update, since I haven't replied in a while.
https://puu.sh/uo780/ab8fa592ae.webm
Animations and the sprite are both not final.

What the ability does is morph you into a simple mob that can survive the light, crawl through vents, and (because it's not really solid) go through doors, firelocks, etc. like they don't exist. Attacking a conscious human will lift them into the air and knock them out quietly and silently. Note that this mob is invisible in complete darkness - this countering night vision goggles - but has quiet, audible footsteps (they sound louder in the demo because they're centered on me), and will disperse or take extreme damage in the presence of concentrated light.

@Dagdammit and anyone else who volunteered to sprite: now's your time to shine. I'd like directional mob sprites - how long is up to you, but keep it restricted to 1 tile wide - that matches this description:
"A formless mass of blackness with two huge, clawed hands and piercing white eyes."
How it looks is completely up to you. Be creative! And if you decide not to do them after all, just let me know. That's fine!
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #261723

I think someone has played Dishonored 2 recently
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #261724

XDTM wrote:I think someone has played Dishonored 2 recently
Last played it a month or so ago, but many of my ideas and a lot of the design philosophies are coming from the Dishonored series. What can I say? I admire it! I'll post a teaser that isn't from Dishonored though in a second.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #261794

Here is promised teaser: the spiritual successor to one of shadowling's worst abilities.
This time, it'll have at least some drawbacks. Not only does it require 100(!) psi, but the console will either break or leave visible evidence of tampering, plus you have to actually possess a console at the time. And a powered console means light - and light means that you burn! Sounds are not final and I'm aiming to play them during the recall cycle instead of after.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #261989

Xhuis wrote:Small update, since I haven't replied in a while.
https://puu.sh/uo780/ab8fa592ae.webm
Animations and the sprite are both not final.

What the ability does is morph you into a simple mob that can survive the light, crawl through vents, and (because it's not really solid) go through doors, firelocks, etc. like they don't exist. Attacking a conscious human will lift them into the air and knock them out quietly and silently. Note that this mob is invisible in complete darkness - this countering night vision goggles - but has quiet, audible footsteps (they sound louder in the demo because they're centered on me), and will disperse or take extreme damage in the presence of concentrated light.

@Dagdammit and anyone else who volunteered to sprite: now's your time to shine. I'd like directional mob sprites - how long is up to you, but keep it restricted to 1 tile wide - that matches this description:
"A formless mass of blackness with two huge, clawed hands and piercing white eyes."
How it looks is completely up to you. Be creative! And if you decide not to do them after all, just let me know. That's fine!
i'm going to try my hand at this.

edit: I can't get it quite right, i'll leave this to someone more competent. I don't want shitsprites for something this good.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #265710

Now working on a Wiki page, progress is good.
Spoiler:
{{Important
|Title=Removed
|Image=Paper.png
|Note=Shadowling's code has been removed from the game. This page is archived for historical purposes
|Color=#F00
}}

{{JobPageHeader
|headerbgcolor = black
|headerfontcolor = white
|stafftype = EXTRATERRESTRIAL
|imagebgcolor = #DDAADD
|img_generic =
|img = Shadowbeing.png
|jobtitle = Umbrage
|access = Whatever you or your victims had or have
|additional = Anywhere you can Tagalong/Crawling Shadow to
|difficulty = Hard
|superior = None
|duties = Scare the filthy humans, become the progenitor and murderbone
|guides = This is the guide
|quote = <b>AAAAAAAAA<font size=3>AAAAAAAAAAAAA</font><font size=4>AAAAAAAAAAAA</font>nd we're back!
}}

'''<font size=5>"VYSHA NERADA YEKHEZET U'RUU!!"</font>'''

Umbrages are light-sensitive alien creatures from space, long lost cousins of the [[Shadowling]]. Each one is different, but all are here to drain humans of their psi and lucidity which they use to become even stronger. They start off disguised as a normal crewman and they have to find a safe place to 'Divulge' to unlock their full potential.

Once Divulged, Umbrages will resemble humans with black chitin, odd runes, and purple eyes.

Until they become a progenitor.

==Shadowling Abilities==
Every Umbrage is different, evolving a play style they like. Here's a list of the abilities.

{| class="wikitable" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"
! style='background-color:#DDAADD;' width='150px'|Name
! style='background-color:#DDAADD;' width='150px'|Unlock Conditions
! style='background-color:#DDAADD;' width='150px'|Psi Cost
! style='background-color:#DDAADD;' width='450px'|Description
|-
!Devour Will
|Divulge
|20 Psi
|The Umbrage uses a powerful rune to send the victim into slumber and then feed off their dreams. This, along with being a knockout, Refills the Umbrage's Psi and adds some Lucidity. Necessary to become the progenitor.
|-
!Divulge
|None
|None
|To access their other abilities, an Umbrage must first divulge. A hatching Umbrage will first drop its items. When the Umbrage's evolution is complete, An obviously alien being will be left. Although headsets, belts, and backpacks must be dropped to evolve, Umbrages are capable of wearing them, and often pick up such items they had previously owned after hatching.

While a divulged Umbrage is powerful, and now able to hunt for Lucidity than an assistant, Umbrages are also obvious after divulging. For this reason, young Umbrages who are not yet sure of their abilities often delay divulging to avoid alerting the crew.
|-
!Pass
|Divulge + 1 Lucidity
|Free to transform, 40 to use.
|Glare is the shadowling's omnitool, with many uses. If you think you won't need it, you'll probably need it. It comes in the form of a tentacle arm that the Umbrage grows, and depending on your intent, It does different things.

Help:Opens doors with force, very loud and it warns the AI.
Disarm:Grabs items out of people's hands.
Grab:Grabs the floor and pulls you to it. Great for escapes.
Harm: Hurls the tentacle at the victim's gut, winding them and knocking them over. Borgs will get stunned and take some hull damage.
|-
!Veil Mind
|Divulge + 1 Lucidity
|30 Psi
|The Umbrage Melds shadows into a victim's mind. A long time ago, where Shadowlings stalked the station, they sent bolts of Veil into the lights to shatter them. Now, it is used on organics to enslave them. Only can be used on those who have had their minds harvested by Devour Will.
|-
!Demented Outburst
|Divulge + 2 Lucidity
|60 Psi
|After five seconds of building rage, unleashes a shock wave that sends anything not bolted down flying. Not interrupted by stuns or movement, save going unconscious. Some of the young Umbrages will use it as an escape, but experienced will use it as a tool for kidnapping and confusion. Use it right, and become the Shadow Dimentio.
|-
!Tagalong
|Hatch required
|2 minutes
|Icy Veins is a formidable crowd control ability. Everyone within a short range will instantly have their body temperature reduced to freezing in addition to having it continuously lowered, similar to a cryogenic sting. Targets will also be briefly stunned.
|-
!Crawling Shadows
|Divulge + 3 Lucidity
|75 Psi
|Transforms the Umbrage into a horrible beast, capable of melding through walls and silently incapacitating victims.

Beware the footsteps, for it is near.
|-
!Silver Tongue
|Divulge + 1 Lucidity
|100 Psi
|Sends a false message to Centcom to recall the shuttle. Costs all your Psi, and puts you in a vulnerable spot, considering consoles make light.
|-
!Blindness Smoke
|Hatch required + 3 Thralls
|1 minute
|By regurgitating a cloud of black smoke, shadowlings can disorient pursuers. This smoke will induce blindness in and stun non-shadowlings, but heal shadowlings and thralls.
|-
!Drain Life
|Hatch required + 5 Thralls
|10 seconds
|The shadowling drains the life of nearby humans, healing the shadowling for a significant amount for each human in addition to weakening the humans.
|-
!Sonic Screech
|Hatch required + 7 Thralls
|30 seconds
|The shadowling can let out a piercing screech. This will confuse and deafen nearby humans, damage windows, and stun silicons.
|-
!Black Recuperation
|Hatch required + 9 Thralls
|1 minute
|With this ability, a shadowling can revive a fallen thrall, healing them of damage completely after a short time. It will also cure diseases, genetic defects, and remove handcuffs the target may be wearing.

Alternatively, a shadowling can 'empower' a living thrall. After a short time, the thrall's abilities will become stronger and they will resemble a shadowperson with three eyes. They will then have the same light sensitivity of normal shadowlings, ableit at a lesser rate. In addition, thralls cannot be dethralled while conscious if in this position.
|-
!Ascendance
|Hatch required + 15 Thralls
|N/A
|If the shadowlings should gain this ability, all hope is lost to the crew. The shadowlings have enough collective power from their thralls to assume their ultimate form, becoming impossible to destroy by conventional means, and gaining terrifying abilities.
|-
!colspan=4|Below is a list of abilities ascendant shadowlings are known to have used.
|-
!Annihilate
|Ascendant only
|At will
|Ascendants, with extremely high telekinetic abilities, can easily cause someone's entire body to explode simply by directing a lance of mental energy at them.
|-
!Hypnosis
|Ascendant only
|At will
|Ascendants can enthrall from a range and with extremely increased speed. Basically, it's a ranged and instant version of enthrall.
|-
!Plane Shift
|Ascendant only
|Toggleable
|An upgraded version of Shadow Walk, ascendants can simply enter the space between worlds at will at no cost. They use them as passageways, able to move from place to place extremely quickly.
|-
!Lightning Storm
|Ascendant only
|10 seconds
|The spiritual successor to Icy Veins. Sends out bolts of lightning to everyone nearby, dealing a significant amount of burn damage and knocking down those affected.
|-
|}

==What To Do: If You're A Shadowling==
So you're a shadowling. Congratulations! Here's some pointers on how not to die from a lightbulb within thirty seconds.
===Starting Off===
You're disguised. You don't take any damage from lights and you are undetectable to any means short of godly intervention. You possess two abilities: Hatch, and Hivemind Commune. First off, send a message or two over the hivemind to see if you have any buddies - chances are high that you do. Assess your job's capabilities. Are you the captain? Feel free to change the AI's laws to help all shadowlings. An officer? You can steal some gear for later thralls. Are you an engineer? Build a stunprod or cut power to different areas so they won't be lit up. Just don't spend too long planning: the longer the paranoid among the crew get, the more prepared they are for the unknown.

There are multiple things to do from the start. If you're confident you can avoid detection, hatching immediately can work since you can easily enthrall people who rush into maintenance early with Glare. Or, you can play it differently and try to covertly sabotage the station first. It's up to you - you're the alien monster, after all.
===Post-Hatch===
So you've hatched. You have the rest of your abilities now - use them! Alert your fellow shadowlings (and thralls) that you're hatched over the hivemind, and make more thralls your first priority. You can't wear normal clothes, but you can still put on backpacks and headsets, which is an extremely good idea. If you're discovered by a group of people, use your defensive abilities to escape in addition to your thralls. If a single guy sees you, just glare at him, slap some cablecuffs on if you have them, take away his headset, and enthrall him. People whom you enthrall '''cannot easily be turned back to normal, although surgery is capable of doing so''' and their new loyalty to you overrides all else. If you enthrall a nuclear operative somehow, they will serve you over their Syndicate friends. If you enthrall the captain, he will do much the same.

Your priority is to gain fifteen thralls. You have the Collective Mind ability which will, after a short time, give you a count of how many thralls you have as well as the needed amount for ascendance. If you get fifteen thralls, use the ability and it will give you the Ascendance ability in a new tab. Simply use that ability and you've won - no need to escape on the shuttle!

===The Light and You===
While hatched, the light is your worst enemy. You take extreme damage from even being in it, and burn-based stuff like flashbangs, welders, and lasers all hit harder. However, on the other side of the coin, the ''darkness'' is extremely beneficial. All wounds will heal. You will have a stun reduction. You have night vision and thermal vision as well, so not being in the darkness at all is a huge downside to everything about you. Use the darkness as your buddy in times hard and easy. The darkness will always give you a shoulder to cry on. He's a bro like that.

===I CAN'T SEE!===
After you hatch, you may notice that you can only see the tile you're standing on. There's a way to fix this. Look in your action buttons - you should see a blank button called Shift Nerves. This will allow you to change the range of your night vision, all the way from a full screen to none at all. This allows you to be more or less careful with your vision, and to check if something is in the light or not.

==What To Do: If You're A Thrall [[File:Shadowling_huds.png]]==
So a shadowling mesmerized you by staring into your eyes (lewd) and now you're a thrall! What this means is that your primary goal and objective is to obey the shadowlings and help them at all costs. If you look in your tabs, you have a new one, Shadowling Abilities. In this tab is the Hivemind Commune ability, which lets you communicate on a silent channel with all other thralls and shadowlings. You're basically an [[Adamantine Golem]] in terms of where your loyalties lie -- utterly with the shadowlings. Loyalty implanted? Not anymore, the nanobots are dead. Wizard? Use your spells to help the shadowling. Traitor? Tough titty, if the shadowling wants your uplink you give it to him with zero questions asked. You have no free will.

Keep in mind that many of the shadowling's abilities rely on damaging or manipulating you. Even by helping the shadowlings accomplish their one objective, you are sentencing yourself completely and utterly to death - there is no way around it. You may find yourself drained of half your life, used as bait, used as a bodyguard, or suddenly surrounded in the middle of a maintenance tunnel by Security officers who are trying to cave your chest in. Assume you're going to die because you are and there's no way around it.

Thralls can see in the dark with night vision, so make sure you don't accidentally make a Kentucky Fried Shadowling with your PDA light. You do have one advantage, however: stealth. You look much more human, so use this to your advantage to do things for your masters. Keep in touch often.

Finally, you also have a HUD indicator above your head. A more intimidating version can be seen above any shadowlings, hatched or not. Your indicator signals that you are a thrall - only other shadowlings and thralls can see this. If you're killing someone with that HUD indicator, expect a ban.

[[File:shadowling_hud_big.png]]

'''This is the HUD indicator for shadowlings. These are your masters.'''

[[File:thrall_hud_big.png]]

'''This is the HUD indicator for you and fellow thralls. You obey the shadowlings.'''

It is important to note that if you are enthralled by one shadowling, you obey ''all'' the shadowlings. This includes the others. If Shadowling Bumblefuck tells you that Shadowling Fumbleschmuck isn't your master, ignore him. No matter who enthralled you originally, you must obey all other shadowlings.

===Mask Up, Gang===
An important thing about being enthralled is that it physically alters you. By becoming a thrall, anybody nearby that can see your face will be able to tell you're a thrall just by examining you while close by! Thankfully, there is an easy way to alleviate this: wear a mask. Any mask will work as long as it conceals your face; gas mask, bandana, ''anything that hides your face''. By wearing a mask, your special examine status will disappear and you will be indistinguishable from regular crew. If an officer tells you to take off your mask and then gets close, the best solution is to try and escape. Wearing a mask is conspicuous in its own right, especially if it conceals the face.

===Dethralling===
So you got captured by the Reds and they're throwing you into the surgery theater. To debrain you? Cut out your eyes? '''''CHANGE YOUR GENDER?!''''' Nope. It's far worse - they're going to sever your link with the hivemind by completely dethralling you! This means you will become a normal crew member again, unable to distinguish your masters and fellow thralls, having no unique abilities, and being boringly standard. Luckily, this can only be done via surgery, and if your master intervenes in time you might escape! If Sawbones gets his hands in your head, you're either going to become dethralled or instantly killed. Either way, you won't remember anything about being a thrall, so if you tell them anyone else that's a thrall expect a ban.

===Abilities===
Fortunately for you, there are a few benefits from becoming a slave for the rest of your life. Mainly, you have a few abilities, which are listed below.

{| class="wikitable" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5"
! style='background-color:#DDAADD;' width='150px'|Cooldown

|-
!Darksight
|At will
|As a result of being enthralled, humans will gain the ability to see in the dark. Darksight allows thralls to toggle between standard vision and complete sight in darkness. However, this ability will not work while wearing glasses of any type.
|-
!Lesser Glare
|45 seconds
|Lesser Glare is an ineffectual yet powerful ability. Inheriting only a fraction of the shadowling's original power, thralls are able to mesmerize people in much the same way a shadowling can - however, it only lasts for around four to five seconds, give or take. If you're fast or robust, this can be combined with cablecuffs and a quick removal of a headset to secure a new thralling target. It's also a good way to escape an arrest.
|-
!Guise
|2 minutes
|Guise is a lesser version of Shadow Walk. Unlike Shadow Walk, you do not gain incorporeal movement, and are still restricted to the physical plane. In addition, you do not turn completely invisible - rather, you are extremely difficult to see, especially in darkness. Anyone that isn't looking directly at you will only see a blurred shape. This ability lasts for around five seconds.
|-
|}

==What To Do: If You're Non-Shadowling Crew==
So the shouts over the radio weren't wizard, ops, or blob, but shadowlings? Your work is gonna be cut out for you, soldier. Shadowlings are terrifying foes and can do much in their power to avoid you. They can even extinguish lights, save for fire-based sources and yellow slime extracts, and even then they can extinguish those fires. Don't get caught alone or you'll live out the rest of your considerably shortened lifespan in mindless servitude.

===Things you SHOULD do===
* Travel in groups
* Get burn-based weapons and lots of light sources (flares are good, so are slime extracts if xenobio is doing their job, and if all else fails botany can make torches)
* Carry flashbangs or flash powder grenades from security or the medbay
* Be extremely wary
* Avoid areas that seem unnaturally dark
* Don't fight anything alone
* Watch for suspicious activity
* Be prepared for anything
* DON'T FUCKING FIGHT ANYTHING ALONE

===Things you SHOULDN'T do===
* Hoard the entire armory and secede from the station as your own force
* Run up to the shadowling and ask to be enthralled. Seriously, it's a dick move to everyone and the admins will ban your ass for it.
* Prowl the maintenance tunnels alone armed with your trusty screwdriver and PDA flashlight
* Refuse to talk or communicate - a silent vigilante, as proven by the mime, is the best vigilante
* Attack an ascendant
* Ask to be enthralled by an ascendant. They'll seriously just make you explode.
* Be near an ascendant
* Consider approaching an ascendant
* Look at an ascendant in a suggestive way
* Think about ascendants

===Is that a horrible wail in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?===

So you're in the maintenance tunnel with your group of vigilantes and ready to fight a shadowling. Suddenly you hear a horrible wail in your head and all the lights blow up. '''Not good.''' This means a shadowling has ascended. You're basically fucked over since all the shadowlings can ascend when one can.

===In Case of an Ascendant===
If you see an ascendant, it'll probably look something like this:

[[File:Shadowling_ascendant.gif]]

That guy just exploded.

'''''RUN.'''''

Run far and fast. There is no way to fight a shadowling ascendant. They are completely invulnerable to normal attacks, can phase through walls at zero cost, and possess a slew of abilities designed to make you and all you hold dear explode. They can make the air explode, they can make reality explode, they can make objects explode, they can make your corpse explode, they can make ''you'' explode, too, so run. They can instantly enthrall you, so run. Not that it'll do you any good since they move faster than you. They'll probably just make you explode like they did the seven guys before you it found. The now-exploded seven guys. Oh, and they also hit harder than an esword with their melee attacks.

You're probably gonna explode, too, so just accept it and hope they're either merciful, somehow friendly, or want to enthrall you.

Again, though, you'll probably just explode.

[[Beyond the impossible|Or maybe, somehow, you can kill it?]]

==Relevant Code Changes==
* https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/24267 Umbrage: Shadowling Redux (WIP!)

{{Jobs}}
[[Category: Jobs]] [[Category:Game Modes]]
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #265719

Thanks a bunch for helping out! I'll make sure to touch up on it once the mode gets merged/as it grows.
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #265723

<Xhuis> .8 Will umbrage be the best mode ever?
* beerobot shakes the magic 8 ball... In your dreams
<Xhuis> .8 Will umbrage be the second-best mode ever?
* beerobot shakes the magic 8 ball... Very doubtful
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #265724

sssh
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #265741

Beerobot is a known liar for the alt-right. DON'T BELIEVE ITS LIES
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #265747

As the best shadow ling ever, I am happy to test this and provide feedback that doesn't suck.
Hit me up white boy.
I play Boris Pepper.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #265760

KorPhaeron is currently threatening to close the pull request by force unless I remove all conversion elements from the mode.
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... -285827050
If overall thoughts are negative - which the forum poll I conducted earlier does not reflect - then I will abide him. But I'd like to hear your thoughts first.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #265762

Kor stop being a colossal faggot.

Xhuis if Kor doesn't stop being a colossal faggot either capitulate to his retarded hostage demands or wait until the new headmins roll in and stop allowing Kor to hold the mode hostage.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #265763

ShadowDimentio wrote:Kor stop being a colossal faggot.

Xhuis if Kor doesn't stop being a colossal faggot either capitulate to his retarded hostage demands or wait until the new headmins roll in and stop allowing Kor to hold the mode hostage.
Either I close the mode because I don't want to restrict player creativity or I develop something that might not be as good as I want it to be. Neither option is very good to me.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #265765

Please don't turn this into a witchhunt against Kor. While I don't like him very much and it's clear he doesn't like me, he has a right to an opinion.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #265766

>MSO has our back

MSO you're the best and I agree, the least we owe this new mode is a testmerge to iron out bugs, test balance and experiment with the conversion system.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #265767

ShadowDimentio wrote:>MSO has our back
This was a good feel. Back to the wiki I go
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #265768

ShadowDimentio wrote:Xhuis if Kor doesn't stop being a colossal faggot either capitulate to his retarded hostage demands or wait until the new headmins roll in and stop allowing Kor to hold the mode hostage.
I am not sure if you just can't get the grasp on the concept of this after being told multiple times or just tries to bait people, but headmins have no say on the codebase.
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #265775

The dream is dead
Finish the coding and give it to another server
I play Boris Pepper.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #265780

Kor will stand down if MSO has our back.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #265781

The debate is dead. Oranges literally said "lol" and closed the pull request.
Umbrage is over, everyone. I'm very sorry that I couldn't make the gamemode you wanted and I'm sorry that I disappointed you. I put a lot of effort into this mode because I wanted it to be something fun and to atone for my mistakes in my older gamemodes, and I really thought it was going to go somewhere good. I'm very saddened by the fact that it's gone and I hope you can forgive me for trying to stand in the way of the design lead and being shut down because of it.

Thank you again to everyone who supported the gamemode. I think I'm going to reflect on things for a while.
Last edited by Xhuis on Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #265782

Not your fault that Kor and Cheri are huge faggots.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #265783

Well here's what I did of the Wiki before it was closed

rip
Spoiler:
{{JobPageHeader
|headerbgcolor = black
|headerfontcolor = white
|stafftype = EXTRATERRESTRIAL
|imagebgcolor = #DDAADD
|img_generic =
|img = Shadowbeing.png
|jobtitle = Umbrage
|access = Whatever you or your victims had or have
|additional = Anywhere you can Tagalong/Crawling Shadow to
|difficulty = Hard
|superior = None
|duties = Scare the filthy humans, become the progenitor and murderbone
|guides = This is the guide
|quote = <b>AAAAAAAAA<font size=3>AAAAAAAAAAAAA</font><font size=4>AAAAAAAAAAAA</font>nd we're back!
}}

'''<font size=5>"VYSHA NERADA YEKHEZET U'RUU!!"</font>'''

Umbrages are light-sensitive alien creatures from space, long lost cousins of the [[Shadowling]]. Each one is different, but all are here to drain humans of their psi and lucidity which they use to become even stronger. They start off disguised as a normal crewman and they have to find a safe place to 'Divulge' to unlock their full potential.

Once Divulged, Umbrages will resemble humans with black chitin, odd runes, and purple eyes.

Until they become a progenitor.

==Shadowling Abilities==
Every Umbrage is different, evolving a play style they like. Here's a list of the abilities.

{| class="wikitable" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"
! style='background-color:#DDAADD;' width='150px'|Unlock Conditions
! style='background-color:#DDAADD;' width='150px'|Psi Cost
|-
!Devour Will
|Divulge
|20 Psi
|The Umbrage uses a powerful rune to send the victim into deep sleep, and then feeds off of their mind. This, along with being a knockout, Refills the Umbrage's Psi and adds some Lucidity. You must devour their will before making them a veil. Necessary to become the progenitor.
|-
!Divulge
|None
|None
|To access their other abilities, an Umbrage must first divulge. A hatching Umbrage will first drop its items. When the Umbrage's evolution is complete, An obviously alien being will be left. Although headsets, belts, and backpacks must be dropped to evolve, Umbrages are capable of wearing them, and often pick up such items they had previously owned after hatching.

While a divulged Umbrage is powerful, and now able to hunt for Lucidity than an assistant, Umbrages are also obvious after divulging. For this reason, young Umbrages who are not yet sure of their abilities often delay divulging to avoid alerting the crew.
|-
!Pass
|Divulge + 1 Lucidity
|Free to transform, 40 to use.
|Pass is the shadowling's omnitool, with many uses. If you think you won't need it, you'll probably need it. It comes in the form of a tentacle arm that the Umbrage grows, and depending on your intent, It does different things.

Help:Opens doors with force, very loud and it warns the AI.

Disarm:Grabs items out of people's hands.

Grab:Grabs the floor and pulls you to it. Great for escapes.

Harm: Hurls the tentacle at the victim's gut, winding them and knocking them over. Borgs will get stunned and take some hull damage.
|-
!Veil Mind
|Divulge + 1 Lucidity
|30 Psi
|The Umbrage screams a more controlled 'Demented Outburst', destroying the mind of an already weakened. The new shell is then free to
|-
!Demented Outburst
|Divulge + 2 Lucidity
|60 Psi
|After five seconds of building rage, unleashes a shock wave that sends anything not bolted down flying. Not interrupted by stuns or movement, save going unconscious. Some of the young Umbrages will use it as an escape, but experienced will use it as a tool for kidnapping and confusion. An experienced Umbrage with this will kidnap people like some kind of Shadow Dimentio.
|-
!Simulacrum
|Divulge + 1 Lucidity
|30 Psi
|Construct an illusion that mimics you and runs forward for ten seconds. The illusion can be revealed when examined.
|-
!Listener Bug
|Divulge + 1 Lucidity
|10 Psi
|The Umbrage births an insect to add others to the Mindlink without their knowledge. They cannot hear the Mindlink, but the Mindlink will pickup on every word they speak. The bug doesn't teleport into its host. Instead, it transfers a tiny parasite through way of projectile (similar to how the Changeling stings, but more of a dart) that burrows into their brain and causes their tongue to minutely vibrate when speaking, relaying spoken words to the Mindlink, which in itself is just vibrations passed through the air.
|-
!Tagalong
|Divulge + 2 Lucidity
|50 Psi
|Melds with a nearby target's shadow, allowing you to "ride" them into lit areas. Use this in any way you can think of; spying, stealth, even taking a veil as your personal taxi! This ability is canceled if the target enters a dark area, as shadow would be all they are.
|-
!Crawling Shadows
|Divulge + 3 Lucidity
|75 Psi
|Devolves the Umbrage into a horrible beast, capable of melding through doors and silently incapacitating victims.

Beware the footsteps, for it is near.
|-
!Silver Tongue
|Divulge + 1 Lucidity
|100 Psi
|Sends a false message to Centcom to recall the shuttle. Costs all your Psi, and puts you in a vulnerable spot, considering consoles make light.
|-
!Drain Life
|Hatch required + 5 Thralls
|10 seconds
|The shadowling drains the life of nearby humans, healing the shadowling for a significant amount for each human in addition to weakening the humans.
|-
!Sonic Screech
|Hatch required + 7 Thralls
|30 seconds
|The shadowling can let out a piercing screech. This will confuse and deafen nearby humans, damage windows, and stun silicons.
|-
!Black Recuperation
|Hatch required + 9 Thralls
|1 minute
|With this ability, a shadowling can revive a fallen thrall, healing them of damage completely after a short time. It will also cure diseases, genetic defects, and remove handcuffs the target may be wearing.

Alternatively, a shadowling can 'empower' a living thrall. After a short time, the thrall's abilities will become stronger and they will resemble a shadowperson with three eyes. They will then have the same light sensitivity of normal shadowlings, ableit at a lesser rate. In addition, thralls cannot be dethralled while conscious if in this position.
|-
!Sacrament
|?
|100 Psi
|If the Umbrages should gain this ability, all hope is lost to the crew. The Umbrages have enough Lucidity from their victims to assume their ultimate form, becoming impossible to destroy by conventional means, and gaining terrifying abilities.
|-
!colspan=4|Below is a list of abilities the progenitor has used.
|-
!Annihilate
|Ascendant only
|At will
|Ascendants, with extremely high telekinetic abilities, can easily cause someone's entire body to explode simply by directing a lance of mental energy at them.
|-
!Hypnosis
|Ascendant only
|At will
|Ascendants can enthrall from a range and with extremely increased speed. Basically, it's a ranged and instant version of enthrall.
|-
!Plane Shift
|Ascendant only
|Toggleable
|An upgraded version of Shadow Walk, ascendants can simply enter the space between worlds at will at no cost. They use them as passageways, able to move from place to place extremely quickly.
|-
!Lightning Storm
|Ascendant only
|10 seconds
|The spiritual successor to Icy Veins. Sends out bolts of lightning to everyone nearby, dealing a significant amount of burn damage and knocking down those affected.
|-
|}

==What To Do: If You're An Umbrage==
So you're a shadowling. Congratulations! Here's some pointers on how not to die from a lightbulb within thirty seconds.
===Starting Off===
You're disguised. You don't take any damage from lights and you are undetectable to any means short of godly intervention. You possess two abilities: Hatch, and Hivemind Commune. First off, send a message or two over the hivemind to see if you have any buddies - chances are high that you do. Assess your job's capabilities. Are you the captain? Feel free to change the AI's laws to help all shadowlings. An officer? You can steal some gear for later thralls. Are you an engineer? Build a stunprod or cut power to different areas so they won't be lit up. Just don't spend too long planning: the longer the paranoid among the crew get, the more prepared they are for the unknown.

There are multiple things to do from the start. If you're confident you can avoid detection, hatching immediately can work since you can easily enthrall people who rush into maintenance early with Glare. Or, you can play it differently and try to covertly sabotage the station first. It's up to you - you're the alien monster, after all.
===Post-Hatch===
So you've hatched. You have the rest of your abilities now - use them! Alert your fellow shadowlings (and thralls) that you're hatched over the hivemind, and make more thralls your first priority. You can't wear normal clothes, but you can still put on backpacks and headsets, which is an extremely good idea. If you're discovered by a group of people, use your defensive abilities to escape in addition to your thralls. If a single guy sees you, just glare at him, slap some cablecuffs on if you have them, take away his headset, and enthrall him. People whom you enthrall '''cannot easily be turned back to normal, although surgery is capable of doing so''' and their new loyalty to you overrides all else. If you enthrall a nuclear operative somehow, they will serve you over their Syndicate friends. If you enthrall the captain, he will do much the same.

Your priority is to gain fifteen thralls. You have the Collective Mind ability which will, after a short time, give you a count of how many thralls you have as well as the needed amount for ascendance. If you get fifteen thralls, use the ability and it will give you the Ascendance ability in a new tab. Simply use that ability and you've won - no need to escape on the shuttle!

===The Light and You===
While hatched, the light is your worst enemy. You take extreme damage from even being in it, and burn-based stuff like flashbangs, welders, and lasers all hit harder. However, on the other side of the coin, the ''darkness'' is extremely beneficial. All wounds will heal. You will have a stun reduction. You have night vision and thermal vision as well, so not being in the darkness at all is a huge downside to everything about you. Use the darkness as your buddy in times hard and easy. The darkness will always give you a shoulder to cry on. He's a bro like that.

===I CAN'T SEE!===
After you hatch, you may notice that you can only see the tile you're standing on. There's a way to fix this. Look in your action buttons - you should see a blank button called Shift Nerves. This will allow you to change the range of your night vision, all the way from a full screen to none at all. This allows you to be more or less careful with your vision, and to check if something is in the light or not.

==What To Do: If You're A Veil[[File:Shadowling_huds.png]]==
So a shadowling traced you and sucked your good vibes (lewd!) and now he's beginning to shou- you're a thrall! What this means is that your primary goal and objective is to obey the shadowlings and help them at all costs. If you look in your tabs, you have a new one, Shadowling Abilities. In this tab is the Hivemind Commune ability, which lets you communicate on a silent channel with all other thralls and shadowlings. You're basically an [[Adamantine Golem]] in terms of where your loyalties lie -- utterly with the shadowlings. Loyalty implanted? Not anymore, the nanobots are dead. Wizard? Use your spells to help the shadowling. Traitor? Tough titty, if the shadowling wants your uplink you give it to him with zero questions asked. You have no free will.

Keep in mind that many of the shadowling's abilities rely on damaging or manipulating you. Even by helping the shadowlings accomplish their one objective, you are sentencing yourself completely and utterly to death - there is no way around it. You may find yourself drained of half your life, used as bait, used as a bodyguard, or suddenly surrounded in the middle of a maintenance tunnel by Security officers who are trying to cave your chest in. Assume you're going to die because you are and there's no way around it.

Thralls can see in the dark with night vision, so make sure you don't accidentally make a Kentucky Fried Shadowling with your PDA light. You do have one advantage, however: stealth. You look much more human, so use this to your advantage to do things for your masters. Keep in touch often.

Finally, you also have a HUD indicator above your head. A more intimidating version can be seen above any shadowlings, hatched or not. Your indicator signals that you are a thrall - only other shadowlings and thralls can see this. If you're killing someone with that HUD indicator, expect a ban.

[[File:shadowling_hud_big.png]]

'''This is the HUD indicator for shadowlings. These are your masters.'''

[[File:thrall_hud_big.png]]

'''This is the HUD indicator for you and fellow thralls. You obey the shadowlings.'''

It is important to note that if you are enthralled by one shadowling, you obey ''all'' the shadowlings. This includes the others. If Shadowling Bumblefuck tells you that Shadowling Fumbleschmuck isn't your master, ignore him. No matter who enthralled you originally, you must obey all other shadowlings.

===Mask Up, Gang===
An important thing about being enthralled is that it physically alters you. By becoming a thrall, anybody nearby that can see your face will be able to tell you're a thrall just by examining you while close by! Thankfully, there is an easy way to alleviate this: wear a mask. Any mask will work as long as it conceals your face; gas mask, bandana, ''anything that hides your face''. By wearing a mask, your special examine status will disappear and you will be indistinguishable from regular crew. If an officer tells you to take off your mask and then gets close, the best solution is to try and escape. Wearing a mask is conspicuous in its own right, especially if it conceals the face.

===Dethralling===
So you got captured by the Reds and they're throwing you into the surgery theater. To debrain you? Cut out your eyes? '''''CHANGE YOUR GENDER?!''''' Nope. It's far worse - they're going to sever your link with the hivemind by completely dethralling you! This means you will become a normal crew member again, unable to distinguish your masters and fellow thralls, having no unique abilities, and being boringly standard. Luckily, this can only be done via surgery, and if your master intervenes in time you might escape! If Sawbones gets his hands in your head, you're either going to become dethralled or instantly killed. Either way, you won't remember anything about being a thrall, so if you tell them anyone else that's a thrall expect a ban.

===Abilities===
Fortunately for you, there are a few benefits from becoming a slave for the rest of your life. Mainly, you have a few abilities, which are listed below.

{| class="wikitable" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5"
! style='background-color:#DDAADD;' width='150px'|Cooldown

|-
!Darksight
|At will
|As a result of being enthralled, humans will gain the ability to see in the dark. Darksight allows thralls to toggle between standard vision and complete sight in darkness. However, this ability will not work while wearing glasses of any type.
|-
!Lesser Glare
|45 seconds
|Lesser Glare is an ineffectual yet powerful ability. Inheriting only a fraction of the shadowling's original power, thralls are able to mesmerize people in much the same way a shadowling can - however, it only lasts for around four to five seconds, give or take. If you're fast or robust, this can be combined with cablecuffs and a quick removal of a headset to secure a new thralling target. It's also a good way to escape an arrest.
|-
!Guise
|2 minutes
|Guise is a lesser version of Shadow Walk. Unlike Shadow Walk, you do not gain incorporeal movement, and are still restricted to the physical plane. In addition, you do not turn completely invisible - rather, you are extremely difficult to see, especially in darkness. Anyone that isn't looking directly at you will only see a blurred shape. This ability lasts for around five seconds.
|-
|}

==What To Do: If You're Non-Shadowling Crew==
So the shouts over the radio weren't wizard, ops, or blob, but shadowlings? Your work is gonna be cut out for you, soldier. Shadowlings are terrifying foes and can do much in their power to avoid you. They can even extinguish lights, save for fire-based sources and yellow slime extracts, and even then they can extinguish those fires. Don't get caught alone or you'll live out the rest of your considerably shortened lifespan in mindless servitude.

===Things you SHOULD do===
* Travel in groups
* Get burn-based weapons and lots of light sources (flares are good, so are slime extracts if xenobio is doing their job, and if all else fails botany can make torches)
* Carry flashbangs or flash powder grenades from security or the medbay
* Be extremely wary
* Avoid areas that seem unnaturally dark
* Watch for suspicious activity
* Be prepared for anything
* DON'T FUCKING FIGHT ANYTHING ALONE

===Things you SHOULDN'T do===
* Hoard the entire armory and secede from the station as your own force
* Run up to the shadowling and ask to be enthralled. Seriously, it's a dick move to everyone and the admins will ban your ass for it.
* Prowl the maintenance tunnels alone armed with your trusty screwdriver and PDA flashlight
* Refuse to talk or communicate - a silent vigilante, as proven by the mime, is the best vigilante
* Attack an ascendant
* Ask to be enthralled by an ascendant. They'll seriously just make you explode.
* Be near an ascendant
* Consider approaching an ascendant
* Look at an ascendant in a suggestive way
* Think about ascendants

===Is that a horrible wail in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?===

So you're in the maintenance tunnel with your group of vigilantes and ready to fight a shadowling. Suddenly you hear a horrible wail in your head and all the lights blow up. '''Not good.''' This means a shadowling has ascended. You're basically fucked over since all the shadowlings can ascend when one can.

===In Case of an Ascendant===
If you see an ascendant, it'll probably look something like this:

[[File:Shadowling_ascendant.gif]]

That guy just exploded.

'''''RUN.'''''

Run far and fast. There is no way to fight a shadowling ascendant. They are completely invulnerable to normal attacks, can phase through walls at zero cost, and possess a slew of abilities designed to make you and all you hold dear explode. They can make the air explode, they can make reality explode, they can make objects explode, they can make your corpse explode, they can make ''you'' explode, too, so run. They can instantly enthrall you, so run. Not that it'll do you any good since they move faster than you. They'll probably just make you explode like they did the seven guys before you it found. The now-exploded seven guys. Oh, and they also hit harder than an esword with their melee attacks.

You're probably gonna explode, too, so just accept it and hope they're either merciful, somehow friendly, or want to enthrall you.

Again, though, you'll probably just explode.

[[Beyond the impossible|Or maybe, somehow, you can kill it?]]

==Relevant Code Changes==
* https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/24267 Umbrage: Shadowling Redux (WIP!)

{{Jobs}}
[[Category: Jobs]] [[Category:Game Modes]]
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #265786

Never thought I'd cry over this game. Firsts for everthing I guess
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #265789

Nice sympathy grab, but when the design lead says jump, you JUMP.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #265791

This is MY code and you CANT MAKE ANOTHER GAMEMODE BECAUSE I SAID SO!
Players don't know what they want. They want MORE murder modes. Conversion modes are BAD and it is better game play for you to die to a traitor to a double E sword. You don't like being a ghost? BAYSTATION IS THAT WAY!
I play Boris Pepper.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #265792

Chin up, for two reasons I got

1. It's not all hope lost until you delete your work. It could be reopened if second thoughts happen, though the outlook isn't good.

2. If something you put a lot of time into didn't work out it doesn't mean you can't make more good stuff. Whether not this is the end of the Umbrage doesn't mean it's the end of Xhius as a whole. I'm still a huge fan of your work
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #265793

I am clearly overreacting but I was a huge fan of shadowling aka "what lurks in maint" so this is a tough time for me
I play Boris Pepper.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #265795

Bluespace wrote:I am clearly overreacting but I was a huge fan of shadowling aka "what lurks in maint" so this is a tough time for me
You and me both
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #265796

Bluespace wrote:This is MY code and you CANT MAKE ANOTHER GAMEMODE BECAUSE I SAID SO!
Players don't know what they want. They want MORE murder modes. Conversion modes are BAD and it is better game play for you to die to a traitor to a double E sword. You don't like being a ghost? BAYSTATION IS THAT WAY!
TG is turning into a fucking fantasy kingdom. HG was the lich that terrorized the people as a tyrannical despot for years until the public grew so disdainful of them that they finally vanished into the ether. After intense abuse the people chose to elect their most promising leader, Kor. Life was good for some time after that in TG, as Kor was a fair and just king, but eventually he started to change. Far too late the people realized that HG had never left, the just possessed Kor as a new form, and their regime would continue until the just rose once again and banished them once and for all.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #265797

Do you like write all that stuff with a straight face
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.