Umbrage: Shadowling Redux (delayed?)

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Do you want shadowlings back?

Yes!
56%
Doesn't matter to me.
16%
No!
28%

Total votes: 64

Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Re: Do you want shadowlings back?

Post by Luke Cox » #241237

Bottom post of the previous page:

If we want to brainstorm this effectively, we need to lay out everything that was wrong with the original shadowling. Who wants to start?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #241253

one thing I liked that we shouldn't change- the thralls couldn't convert. they had to carry the victims to the shadowling.

which actually beings up a problem. thralls should know where their master is at all times, like the xeno queen finder.

but back to what i was saying. I loved bringing cuffed humies to the shadowling itself.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #241255

keep the shadowling as the only converter but give it the ability to buff it's followers with permanent limb replacements, sight upgrades, auras, etc.

that's kind of underused imo, remove most of it's direct offensive potential and then sort of transplant it to the followers via dark gifts or something mite b kewl
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #241262

Let shadowlings produce special masks that need to be worn by the thralls in order to receive certain bonuses. These could range from super strength to a reliable form of weapons to defend the thrall. Or making corpses into zombies loyal to thralls and slings.

Make slings able to dive into vent ducts and produce cold wind to slow down sec or its victims. Make it able to create wind armor that lets them move in light for a limited amount of time. Finally give it a robust melee weapon like an arm blade in case it needs to fight.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #241273

Shadowling doesn't really need much besides the robust as hell glare. I never imagined it to be very strong in combat against more than one or two dudes, the powers it has should be for buffing the thralls as they do the grouped fighting, and panic buttons for when the hordes are closing in.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #241290

Luke Cox wrote:snip
In my own opinion:
  • Too low skill floor, too high ceiling. New players got ripped apart and good ones always won.
  • Bad ability design. They were very hard to catch and became unkillable murder machines if they got a good weapon.
  • Tying into that, Glare was not fun, and was very clunky to use.
  • Enthrall was a very boring ability and frustrating at best. If a thrall bumps you, start over, too bad.
  • Destroy Engines was my worst mistake as a coder. It led to indefinitely prolonged rounds and was universally reviled.
  • Dethralling surgery was slow and unnecessarily punishing. Thralls are strong enough with infinite stuns, camouflage, and innate comms.
That's all I can think of right now.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #241301

Lengthy easily disrupted actions are a pain and will quickly taint success into anxiety or boredom. Maybe forcing to sling to gain conversion points by saccing someone first would be better.

Changeling had the same issue when it depended on absorb.

Armhulen stop playing dumb I am saying the wisest thing would be not to make it a conversion mode at all. The fucking kicker on it all was thralls bring you converts faster than you can enthrall them cue sling just sitting there thralling one dude after the other + being bumped.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #241309

My favorite thing about Shadowling is that it's the antag that gave you a true sense of paranoia. They're after everyone unlike traitors, their thralls could be anyone with a covered face, and you know that they could be lurking anywhere in the dark. It sounds like we just need to rework their abilities from the ground up.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #241365

its hilarious how many people want shadowling back especially when it doesn't even remove the cuck cult that was made to replace it
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #241518

Cik wrote:keep the shadowling as the only converter but give it the ability to buff it's followers with permanent limb replacements, sight upgrades, auras, etc.

that's kind of underused imo, remove most of it's direct offensive potential and then sort of transplant it to the followers via dark gifts or something mite b kewl
You're right! I'll definitely take those into account when I'm working on new design.
D&B wrote:Let shadowlings produce special masks that need to be worn by the thralls in order to receive certain bonuses. These could range from super strength to a reliable form of weapons to defend the thrall. Or making corpses into zombies loyal to thralls and slings.

Make slings able to dive into vent ducts and produce cold wind to slow down sec or its victims. Make it able to create wind armor that lets them move in light for a limited amount of time. Finally give it a robust melee weapon like an arm blade in case it needs to fight.
Probably no to the masks. I also don't want them to be super robust and even more quick to escape. I'm generally an enemy of antagonists having tools for every scenario, so it probably won't happen.
ShadowDimentio wrote:Shadowling doesn't really need much besides the robust as hell glare. I never imagined it to be very strong in combat against more than one or two dudes, the powers it has should be for buffing the thralls as they do the grouped fighting, and panic buttons for when the hordes are closing in.
That's very true, but I still think that Glare isn't fun to be hit by.
Luke Cox wrote:My favorite thing about Shadowling is that it's the antag that gave you a true sense of paranoia. They're after everyone unlike traitors, their thralls could be anyone with a covered face, and you know that they could be lurking anywhere in the dark. It sounds like we just need to rework their abilities from the ground up.
I think that that paranoia was one of shadowling's real strengths and I want to enhance it with the new version.
confused rock wrote:its hilarious how many people want shadowling back especially when it doesn't even remove the cuck cult that was made to replace it
Clock cult was more intended to atone for the mistakes I made in the first version of shadowling than to replace it as a mode. They're not very similar other than conversion, and I consider clock cult to be a success - at least in its release form. I didn't get much opportunity to work on it after release, so any gripes you have with the gamemode other than its general concept probably wasn't me.

Now then, on a more interesting note, I'll leave a little tidbit so y'all can give your feedback on it. I'd love to hear what you think and get ideas. This is the new trademark ability of umbrages (new name) that will replace Glare.
Spoiler:
Name: Pass
Short Description: Change your active hand into a tendril with many uses.
Long Description: Changes your hand into a mass of tendrils that can be used in many different ways based on intent. For instance, by switching to help intent, you can click on a floor within five tiles to attempt to leap to it very quickly. Alternatively, switch to grab intent and snag a dropped weapon from range, pry open a depowered airlock, or vault over a table. You can also stun living creatures by switching to harm intent. This will not mute by default, but a quick strike to the stomach can knock the breath out of an unarmored target if you wish to accept a higher cost.
Mana Cost: Varies based on action taken. Simple actions like movement cost a small amount, but stunning and muting consumes most of your reserves.

Mana is the resource that umbrages will use for their abilities (both names pending). 20 of it is recharging and will always be available, while the other 80 must be replenished through methods I haven't yet decided on. If you can't tell, I'm slightly taking inspiration from the Dishonored games.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #241543

I thought it was a reference to Prototype
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #241547

Xhius, I love the shadowling name, please keep it

Umbra didn't stick and I doubt Umbrages won't either, though it is a cool name for the creature.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #241565

D&B wrote:I thought it was a reference to Prototype
My concept of "whip hand" isn't unique to just those two games, but I pretty obviously stole the idea of pulling yourself invisibly across distances from Dishonored 2's Far Reach. It seemed fun, and in testing it's pretty great to run around the station with, although slamming into walls hurts like hell.
Armhulen wrote:Xhius, I love the shadowling name, please keep it
Umbra didn't stick and I doubt Umbrages won't either, though it is a cool name for the creature.
Look I'm obsessed with the word "umbra" cut me some slack ok ;-;
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #241566

Can I kill you for a neat sword?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #241593

DemonFiren wrote:Can I kill you for a neat sword?
Yeah.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #241595

Would it be better if the Shadowling's abilities involved fewer hard stuns and more disorientation? Things like hallucinations, EMPs, dizziness, etc. would be a bit more balanced and thematically accurate. Thralls aren't inherently bad, but the implementation was awful. I'm thinking this for a rework:
  • Abilities include chill, EMP, hallucination, disorient, etc.
  • Shadowling can only have 4 thralls at a time
  • Thralls are no longer the win condition
  • Shadowlings gain a soul absorption ability. Functions similarly to changeling's husk, but the victim lets out a loud scream (audio and text message)
  • Absorbing enough victims allows the shadowling to ascend
With these changes, the conversion aspect is greatly diminished without gutting it entirely. Getting abducted by a Shadowling or thrall gets a lot scarier, because you will die if nobody rescues you. Thematically, the abilities will be cool as fuck.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #241597

I don't like those changes. The Shadowling should have an army of brainwashed crew. the shadowling is always going to make their four converts the best players if it's smart.

on the topic of abilities, i dislike those too. maybe an ability for only the person affected to not be able to see light, or something fucky, but not random bullshit that the shadowling would never use, except for...

emp for shadowling? hoho no, get one of your thralls to kill it or suck it up. the shadowling should NOT get an AOE disable comms and borgs. at least glare was one target only. if you removed shadowling's 10000 ways to escape glare would be way more fair than emp shit, considering it completely fails to protect the shadowling if there's more than one person.

and if you know you're going to die, it's not scary. it's just ghosting as soon as you're caught. boo.

I do like the loud scream being heard when enthralling people, that would be nice. hearing screams in maintenance, hell fucking yes
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #241603

I was thinking that we've already got rev and two cults that focus on "an army of brainwashed crew". Wasn't that why everybody hated gang? Of course they're going to hunt down the most robust and well-equipped people they can find, that's the point. No antag in the game focuses on selective recruitment. The abilities are a means for a shadowling to stun or disable targets without hard stuns (everybody cried about glare). Bear in mind that all of these would have different ranges, cooldowns, etc. meaning that weaker things like daze will be spammed a lot more and chill/emp/etc. will be used when they go in for the kill or convert.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #241604

Xhuis wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:Shadowling doesn't really need much besides the robust as hell glare. I never imagined it to be very strong in combat against more than one or two dudes, the powers it has should be for buffing the thralls as they do the grouped fighting, and panic buttons for when the hordes are closing in.
That's very true, but I still think that Glare isn't fun to be hit by.
Remind me how balancing things to be "fun" and capitulating to the NO STUNS THEY DUNK ME crowd ended for ling

Real talk about stuns: There's nothing wrong with them. Don't turn shadowling into another garbage antag like ling by gutting the stun and then adding shit gimmicks to try and fix it. It only makes things worse.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #241615

What if the stun was something that required direct physical contact?
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #241616

What if we don't change the stun and we just remove the shadowling's 12 escape spells
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #241617

Because Glare was a major point of contention for a lot of people. We should consider replacing it at least.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #241618

Luke Cox wrote:Because Glare was a major point of contention for a lot of people. We should consider replacing it at least.
i see your point, but
see
ShadowDimentio wrote: Real talk about stuns: There's nothing wrong with them. Don't turn shadowling into another garbage antag like ling by gutting the stun and then adding shit gimmicks to try and fix it. It only makes things worse.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #241623

while we bicker about what changes should be made to shadowling I'd like to call back to one of the first posts of the thread so as to not intimidate xhuis and scare him away from ever actually readding it
PKPenguin321 wrote:For now just add it back as it was and we can fix it from there.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #241627

PKPenguin321 wrote:while we bicker about what changes should be made to shadowling I'd like to call back to one of the first posts of the thread so as to not intimidate xhuis and scare him away from ever actually readding it
PKPenguin321 wrote:For now just add it back as it was and we can fix it from there.
the good penguin saves the thread
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #241642

I found it more interesting than the various cults and geng mode
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #241647

Can we have a new sprite for it? A light sensitive alien with psyonic abilities ought to be a pale abomination once it hatches. Maybe give it a cliché elongated broad head like a xeno queen for good measure.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #241693

I prefer the black skin/chitin shell, it's an abomination that evolved to hunt in the dark, only makes sense that it's outer shell matches the shadows it lurks in.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #241695

Evolution 101 says you evolve to match your environments coloration. Thus, shadowlings are black.
Luke Cox wrote:What if the stun was something that required direct physical contact?
Then it's just a stunbaton. Also getting close to anyone in maint without alerting them and having them run would be a hellish task, further made worse by how getting close to someone carrying a light would start to KILL you.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #241700

Evolution 101 says you do whatever the fuck works.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #241735

PKPenguin321 wrote:while we bicker about what changes should be made to shadowling I'd like to call back to one of the first posts of the thread so as to not intimidate xhuis and scare him away from ever actually readding it
I saw that, but re-adding shadowlings right now would be difficult because of how many changes have been made to related files since then. I could do it, but I'm already somewhat deep into development, and I don't mind scrapping code at all. It gives me practice, so what's the loss?
Armhulen wrote:What if we don't change the stun and we just remove the shadowling's 12 escape spells
I'm gonna change both.
Luke Cox wrote:Because Glare was a major point of contention for a lot of people. We should consider replacing it at least.
'
See the Pass ability I shared earlier in the thread. The plan is for that to replace Glare.
Iatots wrote:Can we have a new sprite for it? A light sensitive alien with psyonic abilities ought to be a pale abomination once it hatches. Maybe give it a cliché elongated broad head like a xeno queen for good measure.
I've got some new sprites.
The sigils on their front and back are stylized shapes of their normal and progenitor forms.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #241743

Red/black looks better than blue/black, but meh.

Also [groan], you're removing glare. Goodbye good gamemode, hello gimmicks and unfun.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #241757

'Bring back shadowling'
"Yes!"
'wicked, here's your huggable fun time gamemode so you don't get triggered'
"SHADOWLING YOU NIT!"
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #241762

ShadowDimentio wrote:Red/black looks better than blue/black, but meh.
I can easily shift the colors to red, it would take like half a minute.
Also [groan], you're removing glare. Goodbye good gamemode, hello gimmicks and unfun.
I can also easily put this back in. The general consensus around the ability seemed negative. In its Pass form it actually has an identical effect (stun/mute, this time it knocks down, however) when you have the mana for it, so it won't be leaving entirely.
Reece wrote:'Bring back shadowling'
"Yes!"
'wicked, here's your huggable fun time gamemode so you don't get triggered'
"SHADOWLING YOU NIT!"
Have you read through the thread and seen the poll results? People are very divided on what aspects of the gamemode should stay and what should leave. Nothing is final right now - not even the colors.

As a rule of thumb, don't get worked up over changes like this, especially so early on in development. People are fond of believing that anything coded is set in stone, and that isn't true.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #241775

Xhuis wrote:
I can also easily put this back in. The general consensus around the ability seemed negative. In its Pass form it actually has an identical effect (stun/mute, this time it knocks down, however) when you have the mana for it, so it won't be leaving entirely.
So turning shadowling into ling with their chem resource. I'm fine with having a resource system attached to shadowling so long as it's reasonable and ideally regenerates.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #241779

replacing the glare with a melee high cost stun and higher cost if mute is pretty qq, man but i'm not judging since it's so early in.
also, i kinda wanted the shadowling to be able to easily imcapacitate single targets but if you're witchhunting with friends, fire and pitchforks then the shadowling should have more trouble. so with that said...
Spoiler:
Enthrall - I loved this ability and you shouldn't touch it. I mean we can talk about glare but Enthrall is undebatable
Hivemind Commune - Just turn this into :x shadowling talk, and this is optional but the shadowling makes loud chittering when doing it
Hatch - I love the design of this ability, if you're not careful with where you hatch people will be waiting outside to lynch you give you hugs
Glare - Keep in mind this is a one target ability, on a 30 second cooldown. If you're not alone, there's no fucking way this is going to do much. It's not OP, don't change it, but that's just my opinion, man
Veil - Nothing to talk about here, make sure you bring this over
Shadow Walk - Make the shadowling not be able to shadow walk over lighted areas or change it. the shadowling already heals in the dark, can stun, and there's more ways he can escape listed below. Or, on the other hand, keep this and delete the other 30 escape tools
Icy Veins - AKA escape tool that doesn't help the shadowling convert in any way, delet this.
Collective Mind - Either keep it as is or make it into the clockwork hud that gives a count in the top right (with thralls needed til next upgrade), if you're doing the top right thing then upgrades should just be automatic.
Destroy Engines - I don't like it but he does need a way to slow the shuttle. change it or reword it but this just seems lazy.
Blindness Smoke - ANOTHER ESCAPE TOOL, REEEEEEEEEEEE
Drain Life - *this* is the OP shit, not the glare. 10 second heal you hurt aoe everyone around you. what the fuck, remove this one too
Sonic Screech - I don't know how I feel about shadowling getting EMPs, but I suppose it's a necessary evil
Black Recuperation - extemely fucking cool, keep it. remove the revive if you have to but the shadowling actually needs to find the thrall body for it first
hopefully that's some direction on where to go with it, best of luck ecks deeius
DemonFiren

Re: Umbrage: Shadowling Redux

Post by DemonFiren » #241782

That name.
It makes me take...
Umbrage.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #241783

ShadowDimentio wrote:Evolution 101 says you evolve to match your environments coloration. Thus, shadowlings are black.
what did he mean by this.jpg
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #241796

This is the first tangible piece of development that you have seen. Some things to note:
  1. This alerts the AI when it's done and should be used as a last resort
  2. It's incredibly loud and consumes all of your mana
Thoughts?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/116 ... a_door.mp4
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #241797

You know there are black colored olms right
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #241798

I LOVE THE NEW ICONS

I HATE THE NEW ICON TEXT COLOR

I CAN'T READ THAT

honestly this is getting made a lot differently than the original shadowling, with completely reworked abilities, so i'm only half hype.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #241801

Armhulen wrote:Enthrall - I loved this ability and you shouldn't touch it. I mean we can talk about glare but Enthrall is undebatable
Hivemind Commune - Just turn this into :x shadowling talk, and this is optional but the shadowling makes loud chittering when doing it
Hatch - I love the design of this ability, if you're not careful with where you hatch people will be waiting outside to lynch you give you hugs
Glare - Keep in mind this is a one target ability, on a 30 second cooldown. If you're not alone, there's no fucking way this is going to do much. It's not OP, don't change it, but that's just my opinion, man
Veil - Nothing to talk about here, make sure you bring this over
Shadow Walk - Make the shadowling not be able to shadow walk over lighted areas or change it. the shadowling already heals in the dark, can stun, and there's more ways he can escape listed below. Or, on the other hand, keep this and delete the other 30 escape tools
Icy Veins - AKA escape tool that doesn't help the shadowling convert in any way, delet this.
Collective Mind - Either keep it as is or make it into the clockwork hud that gives a count in the top right (with thralls needed til next upgrade), if you're doing the top right thing then upgrades should just be automatic.
Destroy Engines - I don't like it but he does need a way to slow the shuttle. change it or reword it but this just seems lazy.
Blindness Smoke - ANOTHER ESCAPE TOOL, REEEEEEEEEEEE
Drain Life - *this* is the OP shit, not the glare. 10 second heal you hurt aoe everyone around you. what the fuck, remove this one too
Sonic Screech - I don't know how I feel about shadowling getting EMPs, but I suppose it's a necessary evil
Black Recuperation - extemely fucking cool, keep it. remove the revive if you have to but the shadowling actually needs to find the thrall body for it first

hopefully that's some direction on where to go with it, best of luck ecks deeius
Thanks for the feedback and the luck! In response to your thoughts:
  • Enthrall is thematically cool but in practice can be finnicky and annoying to work with. Although it did provide tension as you had to commit, I'll probably have it more interesting this time around. And I actually mean "interesting" as in "looks and sounds cooler". not "reworked 223412% of the way to Mars".
  • Hivemind Commune is replaced with Mindlink, which only functions in the same z-level.
  • Because of all the feedback regarding Glare, it's staying in the form of a function of Pass. With the mana system, it'll still be easily usable against single targets, and completely viable as a capture tool.
  • Veil is unchanged in all but name and spookiness.
  • Shadow Walk needs some definite touchups. I like your suggestion of only dark areas, but it'd be tough to code.
  • Icy Veins was a useless, frustrating ability that will be cut.
  • Collective Mind was an easier thing to do for my inexperienced self than have it check constantly for upgrades. It'll probably be automatic now.
  • Destroy Engines was rushed out and won't stay.
  • Blindness Smoke was meh in the first place. I don't like it.
  • I felt like Drain Life was one of the shadowling's more thematically strong abilities, and that it could have stayed had the rest been removed. A similar lifedrain effect will come in Umbrage but will be 200% spookier and fun to use.
  • Sonic Screech was the way slings stopped borgs. Pass will have that functionality.
  • Revival was pretty iffy, but it can now be balanced out by a high mana cost. I might also make it so braindeads become walking corpses, slaves to the umbrage.
Armhulen wrote:I LOVE THE NEW ICONS

I HATE THE NEW ICON TEXT COLOR

I CAN'T READ THAT

honestly this is getting made a lot differently than the original shadowling, with completely reworked abilities, so i'm only half hype.
They are definitely having reworked abilities. By text color, do you mean the stuff in the tooltips? I can see how that's a problem, but it's part of the style I used and I probably can't change it.

Thanks again! This is the kind of feedback I find extremely valuable.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #241803

What are the thoughts on abilities? Should umbrages start with all abilities unlocked but mana-intensive until later on, or gained through progression? Give me your thoughts.
p.s. Most abilities will gain upgrades as you advance. Pass's "jump to a tile" function will become more precise and enable jumping behind you - without that, trying to do huge directional turns will usually result in slamming into a wall.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #241804

i'm excited. make sure to keep the shadowling true names, those are fun
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #241806

Armhulen wrote:i'm excited. make sure to keep the shadowling true names, those are fun
As in the names changing when they hatch? Yeah, those'll stay.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #241807

Umbrages have all abilities at the start but their mindpower (mana is for wizards, mindpower is better) is small, however it expands with more conversion (something something hivemind).
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #241812

ShadowDimentio wrote:Umbrages have all abilities at the start but their mindpower (mana is for wizards, mindpower is better) is small, however it expands with more conversion (something something hivemind).
I was thinking about replacing the name with Psi or something similar, since their abilities definitely focus around mental control. Mindpower is kind of unfitting, but Brainpower is most assuredly what I'm giving them for April Fools.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #241813

Name them Psi Points.

Taht way, I can laugh when Slings complain their PP is too small.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #241818

tfw hyper aware pointz!!!
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #241819

non-humanoid shadow entity with some spooky powers but all around a short term gain for a long term loss to the shadowlings.
Something like this could be cool. Some creepy fucking other dimensional monstrosity designed to inflict paranoia and fear. It could have an auroral around it that consumes light and inflicts people around it with terrifying hallucinations (I'm not just talking spooky, I mean genuine nightmare fuel) and maybe hear shit like people screaming for help over the radio.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #241820

ADD JUMPSCARE HALLUCINATIONS YES