Give the AI its medical overlay back

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Give the AI its medical overlay back

Post by CPTANT » #240789

In the past the AI's medical overlay could see everyone's health. This was changed at one point to only allow the AI to see the health of people who turned on suit sensors.

The gameplay result is that as AI it is basically impossible to tell in most cases whether someone has been harmed, actually its impossible to distinguish between an unconscious and a dead person. For an entity who's default lawset completely revolves around preventing harm this is rather....impractical.

The AI is the only entity that can't examine things, so is the only one that doesn't have this information.

There have been several AI nerfs, but restoring the AI's ability to actually detects it's default primary objective seems only fair.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Give the AI its medical overlay back

Post by Saegrimr » #240790

Why aren't the crew turning its suit sensors on?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #240791

Saegrimr wrote:Why aren't the crew turning its suit sensors on?
Haha, everyone always spams turn suit sensors on, nobody ever listens.

This won't change.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #240871

CPTANT wrote:In the past the AI's medical overlay could see everyone's health. This was changed at one point to only allow the AI to see the health of people who turned on suit sensors.

The gameplay result is that as AI it is basically impossible to tell in most cases whether someone has been harmed, actually its impossible to distinguish between an unconscious and a dead person. For an entity who's default lawset completely revolves around preventing harm this is rather....impractical.

The AI is the only entity that can't examine things, so is the only one that doesn't have this information.

There have been several AI nerfs, but restoring the AI's ability to actually detects it's default primary objective seems only fair.
I am the one who coded this feature. The AI has never had a full medical or security HUD. I was asked to avoid this doing this. I wanted to provide Wanted status for the security HUD, but Aranclanos denied that request.

The medical HUD is an overlay for the suit sensors computer, and the security HUD was meant to be the same for the security records computer, but sadly I was unable to proceed with that.

I am sorry, I know from experience that you should not expect any improvements in the AI's ability to gather information. The best you can do is pretend to be the CMO and pester people about suit senosrs. Those who ignore you deserve to die and never be cloned anyway.

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/4525 if you wish to review the PR.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #241105

Gun Hog wrote:
CPTANT wrote:In the past the AI's medical overlay could see everyone's health. This was changed at one point to only allow the AI to see the health of people who turned on suit sensors.

I am the one who coded this feature. The AI has never had a full medical or security HUD. I was asked to avoid this doing this. I wanted to provide Wanted status for the security HUD, but Aranclanos denied that request.

The medical HUD is an overlay for the suit sensors computer, and the security HUD was meant to be the same for the security records computer, but sadly I was unable to proceed with that.

I am sorry, I know from experience that you should not expect any improvements in the AI's ability to gather information. The best you can do is pretend to be the CMO and pester people about suit senosrs. Those who ignore you deserve to die and never be cloned anyway.

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/4525 if you wish to review the PR.
Hmmm seems it was also a debated issue back then.

I still find that extremely basic information, such as whether or not someone is dead is information the AI should simply have. This is information literally every other mob gets through the examine function.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #241199

I agree, and I would be more than happy to code an 'alive/dead' display for the medHUD on people without sensors, or just scrap the basic MedHUD in favor of the full one, but you have a silicon hate brigade (which has member(s) in the maintainership - name(s) will not be provided) which would prevent the addition of this feature.

These days, it is as hard to get an improvement for the AI approved as it is for Security.
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #241369

Command is blue, yellow is supply tho.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #241370

I always thought Supply was brown.
And that green is closer to Service than Common.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #241400

I thought the AI lost this by design, as the AI being a harmyelling big brother was by and large the source of all the hefty silicon nerfs that got dropped
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #241436

I would hardly call actually knowing when someone is dead "perfect information"
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #241802

As an AI player, please don't give AI a full MedHUD. You know why? Because if someone doesn't have their sensors on, we can ignore them being harmed.

(thatwasajoke)
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #241808

Technically speaking, no fullHUD means you can practice reasonable doubt. Oh that assistant on the floor? The security guard said he's just sleeping. Hey why's that captain on the flo- Oh the nice man in the red hardsuit said he's just tired.

You could make fullHUDs upgrade disks makeable in robo or science if you really wanted a compromise.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #241971

'Member when people meta'ed 2-3 brute damage on the crew monitor to find cultists? I 'member.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #242136

Anonmare wrote:Technically speaking, no fullHUD means you can practice reasonable doubt. Oh that assistant on the floor? The security guard said he's just sleeping. Hey why's that captain on the flo- Oh the nice man in the red hardsuit said he's just tired.

You could make fullHUDs upgrade disks makeable in robo or science if you really wanted a compromise.
I would be more than happy to code this, if I had reasonable assurance that it would be merged.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #242172

Wyzack wrote:I thought the AI lost this by design, as the AI being a harmyelling big brother was by and large the source of all the hefty silicon nerfs that got dropped
not that it ever really ended up helping considering "we should test the game without secborgs" turned into "this poll does not represent the majority of the playerbase! remove secborg!" became "this poll that says people want them back directly from the playerbase means the playerbase does not know what they are talking back! they are forbidden now!"