Role-Specific Traitor Items

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Re: Role-Specific Traitor Items

Post by Tokiko2 » #252864

Bottom post of the previous page:

Cargotech and QM: Micro MULEnavbeacon Injector - 10 TC

Looks like a pen. You can turn it on or off to create a beacon while you are carrying it. You can also stab someone to inject an always active beacon into someone. Once injected, the pen cannot be used as a beacon anymore. Obviously, this is meant to be used to either lure hacked mulebots through narrow maintenance shafts or make them chase your poor target down.
Doctor Pork
Byond Username: Doctor_Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #254166

Tokiko2 wrote:Cargotech and QM: Micro MULEnavbeacon Injector - 10 TC

Looks like a pen. You can turn it on or off to create a beacon while you are carrying it. You can also stab someone to inject an always active beacon into someone. Once injected, the pen cannot be used as a beacon anymore. Obviously, this is meant to be used to either lure hacked mulebots through narrow maintenance shafts or make them chase your poor target down.
thats hilarious, if only pathing for mulebots were better
oranges wrote:pork, the nondescript, commoner king, literally so stealth you could just your normal name in OOC and nobody would know, long may he reign as the secret commander
Deitus wrote:If your signature is scrollable it's too long and fucking obnoxious and you should feel bad
Link to my feedback thread. Go there.
PKPenguin321 wrote:I've been had by yet another tg boondoggle
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #254169

just make a mule steering wheel that lets you hop on and drive it directly without needing a pAI

toot toot
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #254183

Steelpoint wrote:I can say that unless there's a way for any traitor to get access to a job specific item then the moment Security gets wind of a department specific item existing then I can assure you the entire department is going to get raided and placed under arrest.
Reminder, this.

Certain jobs can be persuaded to buy certain objects - i.e. the syringe gun will see more efficient use out of a Chemist or MD than an Engineer, but that Engineer can use a singulo beacon better - but we shouldn't lock items to jobs, or even make it cost more (including the cost of an agent ID with the right access). If a Janitor wants to buy a disk that unlocks illegal tech for R&D, let them do so without penalty, because "I'm gonna have to think creatively to use this" is penalty enough.

We already have items that have better or worse uses from certain jobs...
The poison kit can see good use by a Bartender, Chef, Chemist or MD.
The hardsuit won't have as much functionality for an Engineer, who has access to one anyway.
The agent ID isn't as necessary for a HoP, who can make their own (all-access) IDs.
The emag is especially effective for a Roboticist or RD, for subverting cyborgs.
The AI upload module is even better for a Scientist or RD, who can make their own upload consoles.
The revolver is fairly good for miners, who could use its firepower (and the autolathe) for lavaland mobs.
The minibomb isn't as useful for Chemists or CMOs, who can make their own explosive grenades easily.
The janitor could use Syndicate soap to perform their normal role more efficiently... but also has regular soap, so probably doesn't need it.

Although every job can use every item, some of them have more obvious applications for certain jobs, so we already have "role-specific" traitor items. There's no need to stifle creativity further by actually restricting it.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #254186

TheNightingale wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:I can say that unless there's a way for any traitor to get access to a job specific item then the moment Security gets wind of a department specific item existing then I can assure you the entire department is going to get raided and placed under arrest.
Reminder, this.

Certain jobs can be persuaded to buy certain objects - i.e. the syringe gun will see more efficient use out of a Chemist or MD than an Engineer, but that Engineer can use a singulo beacon better - but we shouldn't lock items to jobs, or even make it cost more (including the cost of an agent ID with the right access). If a Janitor wants to buy a disk that unlocks illegal tech for R&D, let them do so without penalty, because "I'm gonna have to think creatively to use this" is penalty enough.

We already have items that have better or worse uses from certain jobs...
The poison kit can see good use by a Bartender, Chef, Chemist or MD.
The hardsuit won't have as much functionality for an Engineer, who has access to one anyway.
The agent ID isn't as necessary for a HoP, who can make their own (all-access) IDs.
The emag is especially effective for a Roboticist or RD, for subverting cyborgs.
The AI upload module is even better for a Scientist or RD, who can make their own upload consoles.
The revolver is fairly good for miners, who could use its firepower (and the autolathe) for lavaland mobs.
The minibomb isn't as useful for Chemists or CMOs, who can make their own explosive grenades easily.
The janitor could use Syndicate soap to perform their normal role more efficiently... but also has regular soap, so probably doesn't need it.

Although every job can use every item, some of them have more obvious applications for certain jobs, so we already have "role-specific" traitor items. There's no need to stifle creativity further by actually restricting it.
All of this just loops back to my primary gripe. I think there's already too much focus on TC trade items and less focus on actually using your role on station to cause trouble. A few roles (viro, toxins, etc) naturally will make use of their roles to cause trouble as antag, but most roles will just fuck off into maint with a desword and call it a day. Its been ages since I saw genetics forcemonkey somebody or the like. The wiki gives plenty of decent suggestions about things to do in every role on the station, but many players just don't know/care about their roles enough to know how to use them effectively or choose not to for the sake of more lethal TC traded items.
Spoiler:
or they're just one of the 30 assistants every round at roundstart rolling for antag so they can buzz around with a sword/ebow and RDM
Ultimately I think we're better served by having more general use tools that compliment the departments. Sure, if a traitor item is found sec will crackdown on the department. But so what? If sec is already finding those items then the antag's cover is probably already blown anyway.

Ideas:
Roboticist- Pre-emagged posibrains. Gives the roboticist access to an on-demand borg controller that doesn't require emagging manually and doesn't require waiting for the R&D needed to make them the hard way.
Chemist- Masking agent- Added to any reagent compound changes the visible contents of the container to whatever name is set. Changes a whole beaker of cyanide into "sugar" or whatever. The renamed reagents still do what they did before being namechanged, but observers and examination cannot tell the difference between the real and fake names. Makes sneaking poisons into foods and drinks safer without immediately getting outed by the change in name of the drink or anyone watching the poison enter the food.
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #254187

TheNightingale wrote: bleh.
The items that are being role-restricted aren't "normal" items though. No one else other than the clown really can use the reverse revolver. No one other than the chaplain can really use His Grace. The restricted items are special weapons or tools, if anything, make it more fun to play as a traitor in those roles that can access it.
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #254688

Just look to /vg/ server for role-specific traitor items. They have a bunch of really good ones.

http://ss13.moe/wiki/index.php/Syndicate_Items
Please remember that /vg/ only has traitors with 10 TC, so their item cost balance is a little different.

From what I remember:
Assistant:
-Pickpocket Gloves, a pair of black gloves that lets you strip people without producing messages. An item for the fanatically robust.
-Greytide Implant, a 20TC implant that when implanted into someone else, makes them a thrall to you. Mindshield provides no protection from the tide!

Engineer:
-Power Gloves, lets you shoot lightning when you stand on a powered wire! Looks like shock gloves, and damage is increased by power in the wire. If there's too much power, you get shocked as well...

Clown:
-Acid Banana Grenades, Grenades that, when armed, produce a number of banana peels that are both lubed and melt you when you remain on top of them.
-Clowns on /vg/ also have the clown car which can be emagged and upgraded with bananium coins and bananium, is also powered by banana juice.
-Eswords disguised as bananas. Yes, you can combine them into double banana eswords. Also a slippery item and can't be used by non-clowns...

Janitor:
-Proximity bombs disguised as floor signs.

Librarian:
-the E20, 4TC d20s that when thrown, explode! The size of the explosion is dependent on the result you roll! (a nat 20 ignores the bomb cap, a 1 gibs you instead!) Great for suicidal D&D games.

Botanist:
Ambrosia Cruciatus Seeds: It's space drugs except it's deadly.

Atmos Tech
-Weaponized flare launcher, shoots flares at lethal velocity as well as shotgun shells.
-Contortionist's Jumpsuit, Lets you ventcrawl but you only have ID slot and pockets as inventory space when you want to crawl.

Doctor/CMO:
Syndicate Wheelchair, a motorized wheelchair you can run people over with, like MULEbots.

Chemist/CMO:
Explosive Hug Chemical, A chemical that metabolizes slowly. As long as it's in someone's system, it causes them to explode when someone hugs them.

Miner:
-Master Trainer's Belt, a little background behind this one, /vg/ has buyable 'pokeballs' that let you store mobs friendly to you (lazarus injector on /vg/ revives mobs and makes them friendly, only to you). You can buy a belt that lets you store the pokeballs. This belt comes pre-loaded with 6 random hostile mobs (friendly to you), which include anything from space carp to syndicate commandos.

Chef:
Chef Excellence's Special Sauce, Poisonous condiment that kills in minutes. Apply directly to food.
Meat Cleaver, a cleaver that does esword damage, stuns on throw, and chops people into meat when they're dead.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #255056

Lawyer:

[youtube]TIiRRgb0nPE[/youtube]

This fuckin' thing.