Jaws of Life

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Jaws of Life

Post by Steelpoint » #251740

To my amusement I came across a item in game called the Jaws of Life, after some research this is a CE spawn item that is essentially a emag that makes a noise and leaves no evidence behind of its use.

I found the device useful as the Head of Security, but I am left perplexed as to why such a item exists in the game. The last time we discussed about a literal Jaws of Life device it seemed to be a abhorrent idea yet I find no fan fare, criticism or any talk about the device. Even though its in the hands of the Chief Engineer, it still allow him, or whomever steals it, very rapid access to areas around the station.

Perhaps the items seen as fine since a competent CE can hack through a set of doors faster than the Jaws can.

It is very cool though, sounds and sprites.
Weepo
Byond Username: Weepo

Re: Jaws of Life

Post by Weepo » #251741

what a cool and powerful secret items, any guides on how to get it????????
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #251743

They spawn on the CE in his belt.

As I said I trawled through Github and found a PR from a new coder who added them. No discussion on the balancing aspect of these items (Jaws of Life that works as a door opener irrespective of access but also as wire cutters, Drill that can swap between a screw driver mode or a wrench mode and a wielding tool with self regenerating fuel).
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #251745

They are pretty hilarious. Might be better as a two handed item that needs powercells to run. Because the purpose they serve is a good one.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #251780

I wonder if people would notice their exsitance if I toss one in the armoury, but edit it to not fit in a backpack.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #251785

Oh please god sweet Jesus no. Steelpoint, I respect you, and I know you have the kind of hardon for security that I do for medbay, but redsuits already have enough access clout.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #251786

AnonymousNow wrote:Oh please god sweet Jesus no. Steelpoint, I respect you, and I know you have the kind of hardon for security that I do for medbay, but redsuits already have enough access clout.
I was making a bad joke, a really bad joke.

I'm just more curious that such a unique item, and the set its part off, seems to have recieved no fan fare. Not even a wiki mention (which feeds into my hate of coders adding features and then never adding a manual/guide of it).
darkpaladin109
Byond Username: Darkpaladin109

Post by darkpaladin109 » #251815

Oh, that's what that thing does. I've seen it a few times myself, and I have to say that's a very strange name for such an item. Sounds like lavaland loot.

Does it only hack doors or can it also be used to hack other machines?

EDIT: Upon some searching, it seems that's the name of an actual tool.
Last edited by darkpaladin109 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #251818

darkpaladin109 wrote:Oh, that's what that thing does. I've seen it a few times myself, and I have to say that's a very strange name for such an item. Sounds like lavaland loot.

Does it only hack doors or can it also be used to hack other machines?
It's a piece of real-life equipment typically used by firefighters, designed to pry things apart. It doesn't hack doors - it forces them open.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #251834

Maybe its use should then cut the bolts on doors? If a door has been bolted shut then the jaws can slice clean through them.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #251905

jaws of life are curiously underused and i think the lesson learned from them is that "engineers can hack open your doors with their tools in about the same amount of time that the jaws can pry them open so that's why nobody cares"
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #252145

Exactly, the CE starts with the whole wiremap thanks to blueprints, insulos, and full toolbelt, so he can hack doors just fine.
It should also be noted that Jaws of Life can be built in RnD, but they have the hardest tech requirement of any item short of mech teleporters, and sonic jackhammers can also knock down walls and rwalls more cheaply.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #254725

JoL also have the nice ability of being 2 tools in one [that also work faster iirc]
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #254728

Overall the addition of unique CE tools has been a nice boon to the role I believe.

But as I said in the OP, I simply found it odd that such a feature saw no discussion on its addition at all, forums or otherwise.
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Post by RandomMarine » #254773

I originally suggested the whole set of power tools to be an expensive cargo order. But that got shot down in favor of the typical throw-it-in-science approach. Because, you know, it totally makes sense for power tools that are widely available in real life to be high-end R&D items.

But, yeah, the CE starts with a set. For the most part they're two-in-one tools with faster speed. Jaws of life switch between prying (crowbar, with easy door opening as a bonus), and cutting (wirecutters) mode. The drill switches between screwdriver and boltdriver.
Mindustry
Byond Username: Mindustry

Post by Mindustry » #254779

I love the Jaws, but I feel they shouldn't always fit on a toolbelt. I think that should go exclusively to the CE's belt and other engineers will have to carry it in their backpack.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #254881

PKPenguin321 wrote:engineers can hack open your doors with their tools in about the same amount of time that the jaws can pry them open so that's why nobody cares
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #254882

Nobody talked about it because nobody plays CE. CMO gets gene, viro, and chem. HoS gets the armory and a raging validhunter erection. RD gets R&D, xenobio, and robotics. HoP gets all of the above and more.

What does the CE get? The engine, a job that takes two minutes to complete, and the impossible task of keeping the station intact as everyone, antag or not starts tearing it apart from the word go.

Don't mess with the hopeless souls tasked with maintaining the stage on which everyone has their fun.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #255006

it would be interesting if we removed the slowdown from the ce's hardsuit

but then people are just playing CE for cool loots, and that's no fun.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #255009

Anecdotally I play as the CE for several reasons.
  • I get better tools to do my job, my wonderful Hardsuit that handels everything and is overall one of the best hardsuits in the game, my excellent and unique CE tools that do the job better than anyone else and my greater station access which lets me get to damaged areas quicker
  • I have access to Engineering and Atmospherics, so I can ensure both departments are up to date and on schedule
  • I'm part of the Heads of Staff, so I'm more in the loop with the events of the round.
Its akin to why I also play as the HoS a lot. I only have to answer to the Captain, I have a greater level of independence in my decision making and I have better tools to do my job.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #255081

ShadowDimentio wrote:Nobody talked about it because nobody plays CE. CMO gets gene, viro, and chem. HoS gets the armory and a raging validhunter erection. RD gets R&D, xenobio, and robotics. HoP gets all of the above and more.

What does the CE get? The engine, a job that takes two minutes to complete, and the impossible task of keeping the station intact as everyone, antag or not starts tearing it apart from the word go.

Don't mess with the hopeless souls tasked with maintaining the stage on which everyone has their fun.
Telecomms
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #255087

I wouldn't exactly call the jaws of life an emag because:

1. It is loud as fuck
2. it takes a while to use
3. it doesn't permanently fuck up the door.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.