His Grace

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

His Grace

Post by Xhuis » #253830

His Grace is a 20-telecrystal traitor chaplain item that grows more powerful over time, from a slightly-better toolbox in melee to an immense tool of death and destruction with insane healing and stun immunity. Once it reaches a certain point, it will turn against and devour its wielder. You can stave this off by feeding corpses to His Grace, but it hungers twice as fast for each body it consumes. Using His Grace effectively by maximizing benefits and protecting yourself is a delicate balance of feeding and preventing yourself from being fed on.

Post your thoughts, experiences, and ideas below!
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Re: His Grace

Post by onleavedontatme » #253835

I found a green toolbox as security and carried it around for a while and the crowbar helped me get through some firelocks and I broke a camera with it to try and kill the malf AI then I dropped it and went and died somewhere.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #253842

20 tc, doesnt block anything, always has a chance to just straight up eat you and does less damage than the dual esword at levels that aren't imminent death

But I fucking love it anyways so it's a garenteed buy if I'm chaplain
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #253869

I am paranoid about all green toolboxes now. Nicely done.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #253970

How bloodthirst interacts with consuming victims/# of victims consumes is confusing and not clearly worded.

Will consuming a victim always send bloodthirst to 0? What happens when you have like 10 victims? Does bloodthirst increase by 10 per tick or what?
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #253975

Some of the mechanics about it should probably be clarified a bit more in game. I'm also not to enthralled by the massive message everyone the server gets when it wakens or sleeps, It's more annoying then scary.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
Septavius

Post by Septavius » #254029

this item on goon was fucking insane, you were able to fight off the entire crew by yourself with little to no issue.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #254034

Buff this, 20 tc is too much for a dual esword that is globally known
Dagdammit
Byond Username: Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #254275

>Hungers twice as fast for each body it consumes
Yyyyyyow. Would (1+bodies) be a better hunger multiplier?
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #254288

Joan is making some changes on GitHub if anyone wants to provide input. https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/23951
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #254291

It's good, this should get merged asap.
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #258754

i suicide bombed a changeling with an inactive his grace who had eaten like 30 people inside of it and when he got eaten the motherfucker just crawled out of it.

thats some bullshit, no mere changeling should be strong enough to break out from the inside
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #258762

HE broke out from reviving that was all. Should be fixed and just have him trapped in his grace
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #259018

i am just now realizing there was a thread for his grace and my thread on its power is unnecessary

shit
Limey wrote:its too late.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #274418

Frankly I think a powerful tool that is literally just used for murderboning is uncreative and disruptive to actual creative play and doesnt need to be a thing.

It doesnt matter if it kills you in the end, by the time security is anywhere ready to fight you you already have enough people dead to kill people in 2 hits, and even after you are dead the round is basically over as a significant portion of the crew is dead.

even if the bodies are recovered the round is basically over.

also, note, this can be bought at roundstart, making all of this happen in the first 5-10 minutes of a round, before people even have a chance to start up gimmicks or do their jobs. it is as much of a round disruption as releasing the singularity at roundstart was.

plus you can do literally NOTHING but murderbone with it, no creativity can be applied, you cant roleplay around his grace, you cant use it to intimidate or coerce, it is limited to one, very disruptive and unfun-for-everyone-but-the-traitor use.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #274892

Dr_bee wrote:Frankly I think a powerful tool that is literally just used for murderboning is uncreative and disruptive to actual creative play and doesnt need to be a thing.

It doesnt matter if it kills you in the end, by the time security is anywhere ready to fight you you already have enough people dead to kill people in 2 hits, and even after you are dead the round is basically over as a significant portion of the crew is dead.

even if the bodies are recovered the round is basically over.

also, note, this can be bought at roundstart, making all of this happen in the first 5-10 minutes of a round, before people even have a chance to start up gimmicks or do their jobs. it is as much of a round disruption as releasing the singularity at roundstart was.

plus you can do literally NOTHING but murderbone with it, no creativity can be applied, you cant roleplay around his grace, you cant use it to intimidate or coerce, it is limited to one, very disruptive and unfun-for-everyone-but-the-traitor use.
sums up my issues with it nicely

I like the idea, but the execution is little more than a "run into the halls and eat 10 people before the toolbox eats you" gimmick and the only value to be gained from it is watching people run into it in the halls after it eats the owner
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #281410

I'd been trying to fish for this item for a while, and when I finally rolled Chaplain Traitor, I was so fucking excited, I got it, unlatched it, and started going ham in the hallways. I managed to eat one assistant with it.. until someone ran up and cucked me by disarming me, grabbing it, and running away. The disarm chance should be lowered! It costs more than a desword and yet is weaker at base level and doesn't delimb.

(Oh and I suffered His Wrath for being disarmed because ?? ??)

Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #281443

Silly murderbone-enabling item. Should not be added to the game.
Togopal
In-Game Admin

Post by Togopal » #281446

Alex Crimson wrote:Silly murderbone-enabling item. Should not be added to the game.
Guess we better get rid of eswords, revolvers, pistols and minibombs too :roll:

cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #281473

Togopal wrote:
Alex Crimson wrote:Silly murderbone-enabling item. Should not be added to the game.
You convinced me. TC genocide now
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #281511

Murder bone shouldn't be silly, very single victim should have the killer arrange an elaborate funeral then engage in half an hour of penance rp confessing to their deity.

Quit with this nonsense gutter slime.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #281687

Togopal wrote:
All of the above are just normal items used to hurt people. Its different from a weapon that feeds on dead bodies and kills you if you do not constantly kill people.
Togopal
In-Game Admin

Post by Togopal » #281689

Alex Crimson wrote:
Togopal wrote:
All of the above are just normal items used to hurt people. Its different from a weapon that feeds on dead bodies and kills you if you do not constantly kill people.
If by "hurt" you mean "murder" then yes. Who the heck uses any of those tools to incapitate someone? If you wanted to talk about the cancerous ebow I would see where you were coming from, but none of these are ever used to detain people.

It punishes you for not killing, as opposed to the weapons I mentioned where you can kill anybody you like as long as you print enough ammo/dont get tazed by sec. The simple counter to someone using it is to avoid them until His Grace turns on them. Not to mention as I said earlier, this item costs 20TC as opposed to a desword that costs 16tc so its pretty fair if you ask me

Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #281695

The counters to it are irrelevant. The issue isnt that the weapon is overpowered or expensive. Anyone can go on a murderboner with a screwdriver or an esword, but their intended purpose isnt to murder the entire station. This new weapon however, is designed to force the user to kill as many people a possible. Failing to do this gets the user killed instead. Its a weapon added purely to incite more murderboning.

Someone murderboning with a revolver is a player problem. It happens because someone is taking a weapon and choosing to go on a rampage with it. The revolver was never intended to be used in such an aggro way.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #281698

Togopal wrote:
Yes, we should. The big bombs as well.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Togopal
In-Game Admin

Post by Togopal » #281796

Alex Crimson wrote:snip

The revolver was never intended to be used in such an aggro way.
Yes but with the damage it does it's going to be used an aggro way 9/10 times. But people don't use that as much as they use the desword, which is sure as hell meant to go on a rampage with, considering it deflects energy projectiles and is next-to-impossible to disarm.

Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #281803

And many people consider the Double-Esword to be murderboner trash, and is once again a player problem. Why does that suddenly mean its ok to add even more murderboner weapons? Especially one that is so clearly added just for the "lulmurder" sprees. Now i have not played on /tg/ for a while now, but as far as i remember, murderboning was not a popular thing. To the point that admins even started banning people who went on excessive murder sprees without the requested "escape alone" objective.

This thing has no value other than the fact you kill people with it, and you need to keep killing in order to not die. At least an Esword can be used as needed, simply as an incredibly robust weapon, rather than something specifically designed to incite a killing spree.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #281814

Alex Crimson wrote:Why does that suddenly mean its ok to add even more murderboner weapons?
This is what gets me

Like, yes, we have a problem with people ebow/eswording/etc., okay whatever it's a player problem - there's no need to contribute to the problem

I don't like His Grace because it's only ever used as a "let's see how many people I can eat at round start when no one is ready before I get eaten as well" gimmick - there's no effort or creativity, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone buy it after any significant length of time from round start has passed
Spoiler:
and because I always get misread and misunderstood - no i am not proposing all murderboning tools be removed, no i am not saying that killing people as antag is bad, please stop saying stuff like that it's painfully obvious you're ignoring the point
if the point of a traitor is to make rounds interesting, His Grace is directly the opposite of that - it's a shitty gimmick that removes a bunch of people from the round immediately, then (assuming there's a survivor who knows to incinerate/crush it and not space the murder toolbox immediately) make them wait a while to be cloned. The traitor doesn't do anything beyond that murder spree and is no longer a force that has an effect on the round

I have never heard of or seen His Grace be used for anything but the roundstart murder sprees I described, and that's a problem - it's not a tool for traitors to shake things up or do something unique, it's a low effort meme gimmick that was funny the first one or two times

I just want to go on record that I think the idea itself is really neat - something disguised as an every day item that turns into a ridiculously powerful force, consuming even the one using it, blah blah - it just doesn't contribute positively to the game, imo
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #281851

I once got His Grace in a surplus crate and since I felt like greentexting more than I felt like dying for a meme, I left it laying out in the hallways. Sure enough, some random grey picked it up and set it loose in the hallways.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #299958

Really shit. it's hunger goes up so that if you don't kill someone every 45 seconds, then it'll eat you. 45 seconds is not even close to enough when everyone's in a department or doing other things. Most people will avoid you!
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #300014

Working as designed then
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #300026

it's a trap
Togopal
In-Game Admin

Post by Togopal » #300035

Armhulen wrote:Really shit. it's hunger goes up so that if you don't kill someone every 45 seconds, then it'll eat you. 45 seconds is not even close to enough when everyone's in a department or doing other things. Most people will avoid you!
That seems to require too much thought and skill, I think sleeping carp is more suited for lower-experienced players like you 8-)

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #300040

Togopal wrote:
Armhulen wrote:Really shit. it's hunger goes up so that if you don't kill someone every 45 seconds, then it'll eat you. 45 seconds is not even close to enough when everyone's in a department or doing other things. Most people will avoid you!
That seems to require too much thought and skill, I think sleeping carp is more suited for lower-experienced players like you 8-)
shoo, shoo!
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #301706

Saw one in action as the AI today. chaplain had it and was running from a Security Lynch Squad, dropped it, died, it ate a few more people, then captain came and lasered it and everyone was cloned.

Didn't really add anything interesting to the round. If it were me I'd use at round end instead of round start to hijack the shuttle to be honest.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #301872

Yakumo_Chen wrote:Didn't really add anything interesting to the round.
pretty much the cardinal sin
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #302533

Qbopper wrote:
Yakumo_Chen wrote:Didn't really add anything interesting to the round.
pretty much the cardinal sin
lets get rid of all the admins as well