/vg/station lighting

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: /vg/station lighting

Post by PKPenguin321 » #265418

Bottom post of the previous page:

Iatots wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Iatots wrote:
Sligneris wrote:ITT: People don't realize they can just grab a flashlight; instead they expect PDA light to solve all their problems.
You can just not get poisoned.
You can just dodge the bullets.
You can just not die.
You could just have an argument
You could read the rest of that conversation instead of making low effort comments.

When did the normal response to "feature X rework screws its balance" become "powergame harder"?
Was it HG that trained you to eat shit and ask for seconds?
Not an argument
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #265422

This lighting is eye strain bad, especially as it doesn't work properly to start with, barely being able to see is annoying, barely being able to see, and then having to pause, turn off your light sources one at a time, and then back on because the next chunk of darkness just failed to register a flashlight as being on is fucking painful.

Other than that really cool, pretty and atmospheric, I like how the consoles glow the different colours and think this an overall good change. Just needs some tweaking.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #265438

Iatots wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Iatots wrote:
Sligneris wrote:ITT: People don't realize they can just grab a flashlight; instead they expect PDA light to solve all their problems.
You can just not get poisoned.
You can just dodge the bullets.
You can just not die.
You could just have an argument
You could read the rest of that conversation instead of making low effort comments.

When did the normal response to "feature X rework screws its balance" become "powergame harder"?
We're reaching that stage where "pick up a flashlight to see in the dark" is "powergaming"
:whiskey:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #265439

Reece wrote:and then having to pause, turn off your light sources one at a time, and then back on because the next chunk of darkness just failed to register a flashlight as being on is fucking painful.
Not exclusive to the new system at all. This has been a combination of lag and whatever else for a while now.

Some of the colored lights could use some desaturation, and the wall buttons thing, but yeah this shit is 9/10 "it's okay" -IGN
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #265441

Saegrimr wrote:
Reece wrote:and then having to pause, turn off your light sources one at a time, and then back on because the next chunk of darkness just failed to register a flashlight as being on is fucking painful.
Not exclusive to the new system at all. This has been a combination of lag and whatever else for a while now.

Some of the colored lights could use some desaturation, and the wall buttons thing, but yeah this shit is 9/10 "it's okay" -IGN
There's a PR to tone down the BRIGHT GREEN BLOOM you get from massed glowshrooms so that's good at least. I almost mass deleted them they're so much brighter than wall lights.
A3STH3T1CS
Byond Username: Mack3r3l

Post by A3STH3T1CS » #265488

Told coderbus goonlighting is terrible and asked about the pros vs the cons and was told "because all the other servers have it"

Oranges also told me that he hopes my computer explodes and I die while some other shitposters ganged up on it.
I hope tgstation13 continues being successful
banned consecutively from multiple communities
professional space law botanist
<Pirou> Xhuis: You have 10 unread memos. You may read them by speaking in the channel. <Xhuis> ?!
<Chocobro> aesthetics is the best flower maker
Username change: Mackerel -> A3STH3T1CS
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #265490

A3STH3T1CS wrote:Told coderbus goonlighting is terrible and asked about the pros vs the cons and was told "because all the other servers have it"

Oranges also told me that he hopes my computer explodes and I die while some other shitposters ganged up on it.
I hope tgstation13 continues being successful
It was only me who ganged up on what he was spewing.

Claming he wants to help podpeople then refusing to fix the bug with them, it's hilarious.
I don't know new lighting or I'd fix it myself.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
A3STH3T1CS

Post by A3STH3T1CS » #265493

Haevacht wrote:Claming he wants to help podpeople then refusing to fix the bug with them, it's hilarious.
I don't know new lighting or I'd fix it myself.
How do you openly mock someone for not knowing the same things you do and think you look cool doing it?
Are you that self-absorbed in Orange's asshole you have no idea how to form a proper argument?

I wouldn't expect much from a third-rate personality like you though, so I forgive you.
<Pirou> Xhuis: You have 10 unread memos. You may read them by speaking in the channel. <Xhuis> ?!
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #265496

I don't claim I could fix it.
You did.

And I fucking hate oranges, we just shared an opinion on you.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
A3STH3T1CS

Post by A3STH3T1CS » #265498

Haevacht wrote:I don't claim I could fix it.
You did.(?)
And I fucking hate oranges, we just shared an opinion on you.
Why would I dare put any learning/work into something after being told to go die?
Seemingly unlike you, I have more pride than that.

Enjoy fueling your masochistic needs by building a portfolio owned by an egocentric fruit.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #265512

/vg/lights is already at the top of my list to re-work now that pb&j is finished with it.

I made /tg/lights great

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/12748
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/13333

I will make /vg/lights great too.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #265514

I remember those PRs. Those were fan-fucking-tastic.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #265525

Spoiler:
Not real sure what's causing it, but we get bugs like this all the time from the new light system.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #265532

foam is really good at bringing the lighting system to it's knees
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #265552

leave the bugs in
add a new traitor item: portable night generator
it creates a circle of pitch black impenetrable darkness around the wearer and people will just assume it's a lighting bug
perfect for low-cost maint stealth because lockers are way overrated
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #265581

cedarbridge wrote:
Iatots wrote: When did the normal response to "feature X rework screws its balance" become "powergame harder"?
We're reaching that stage where "pick up a flashlight to see in the dark" is "powergaming"
I get it, you have your gamma up from all those lifeweb sessions, that's why you'd think PDAs were substitutes to flashlights on /tg/lightning.
But try putting your feet in the shoes of someone who can barely see their own face:
How is "just get a flashlight" valid advice for someone who can't see their own feet let alone NAVIGATE in total darkness? How are they going to "get" that flashlight when the lights go down? Feel around? Memorize every tile of the station? Reach into their backpack for one they collected beforehand "just in case"?
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #265583

DemonFiren wrote:leave the bugs in
add a new traitor item: portable night generator
it creates a circle of pitch black impenetrable darkness around the wearer and people will just assume it's a lighting bug
perfect for low-cost maint stealth because lockers are way overrated
Well, negative light actually works, and there's a PR up that adds a mutation of glowshrooms called "shadowshrooms", so it's already meta-broken.
私は完璧
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #265621

Iatots wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
Iatots wrote: When did the normal response to "feature X rework screws its balance" become "powergame harder"?
I get it, you have your gamma up from all those lifeweb sessions, that's why you'd think PDAs were substitutes to flashlights on /tg/lightning.
But try putting your feet in the shoes of someone who can barely see their own face:
How is "just get a flashlight" valid advice for someone who can't see their own feet let alone NAVIGATE in total darkness? How are they going to "get" that flashlight when the lights go down? Feel around? Memorize every tile of the station? Reach into their backpack for one they collected beforehand "just in case"?
Nah mate, my gamma settings are pretty standard. No special brightness required. My eyesight is even pretty shit. If you can't see your own tile with the pda light on then I don't know what to tell you. Its very clearly visible. Not 1 level brightness and its certainly not going to be easy to navigate with only that. However, that "its not easy to see and navigate is the entire point of darkness. Unless you use your limited light resources to find a flashlight or lamp or whatever, you're going to have to fumble around in the dark. That's why having old PDA lights that just lit up entire rooms on everyone's belts was stupid. It made going through the trouble of actually making an area dark trivial because every rube on the station has a sun in their pocket. If you can't see with the light you have you call for help, if you can't get help then, as you put it, you fumble around in the dark with what minimal visibility you have until you find a light source. With the current lighting system almost half the station, including machines and consoles gives off a fair amount of light. But no, I don't see it as "powergaming" to keep a flash light with you. Especially since that's 90% of the reason most people kept their PDAs in the first place and the other 10% was sending rare PDa messages.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #265623

It's a PDA light you spergs, take a step back and reflect that all these people are asking for is a slightly better PDA light. The balance of the game isn't going to fracture apart because you can see your own face with the PDA.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #265624

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/24846

I changed it so you can get a whopping 4% of your vision with a PDA light and people are still whining it's too hugbox and it'd be way more hardcore to have a black screen if you forgot to visit tool storage to grab a flashlight roundstart.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #265625

This just confirms the GOTTA BE HARDCORE GIT GUD HNNNGGGG crowd are the most autistic of all our many various autistic crowds.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #265679

How does the negative light work anyways? Does it just absorb light or what?
Will this new lighting bring back shadowings?
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #265686

Boy I sure do love playing with 40℅ time dilation
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #265825

well at least it gives you somewhere to vent other than the irc